Intellectual Property?

In the Translated Japanese novel world, there are a lot of deletions and take downs because of DMCA and  copyright infringement. Baka-Tsuki is having a headache because of this. Will ww have the same troubles in the future? I hope not. 

One of the admin, Yn5an3, says:
The translators can take breaks as often as they like. I don't want to open this pointless debate again. If the author is slow, then you'll have to wait longer, as simple as that. I'm also following the novel and I'd like 10 chapters a day. But I do know that some time ago I was lucky to find something released weekly. Why would I ask a translator that released sooo many chapters to stop just because there was a time when he was too busy to keep the normal schedule? Specially since he was the person who made the novel popular and invested hundreds of hours of his time. Do you prefer to pass it to other translator for some time just to see it dropped? Because he too may slow his pace some day, and after that cycle is repeated a couple of times, the novel will be dropped. 

There is some sense of accomplishement (that partially comes from recognition) for people that make public contributions like translating novels. And if you sever that tie, then I can tell you that nobody, no matter how generous and altruistic he is (Even in the hacking scene, that had ideological motivations as one of his pillars) is going to pour his free time into a task that not only is binds you in a permanent manner to 'your fans' ( whatever you mean by that ), but also requires hours of dedication on a daily basis just to be tossed aside when people feels like it. Those motivations do not work like people think they do, they don't do it so others can enjoy themselves, and are a lot more complex than such a simple goal. There are really naive concepts like the "general interest" or similiar that are referenced from time to time and make even less sense. What's the general interest? To have the most chapters over the shortest amount of time, or to have every chapter translated, or everything between that? What's the balance between general and personal (the translator's) interest? 

I like to play computer games, but I would't force myself to play 2 hours every day. And that's a sort of entertainment, translation is what translators do profesionally, a JOB. So who likes to work at home after he gets out from his regular job? Many people think that they are going to be able to do it because of the money, but they give up in the end. I wouldn't demand from someone something I wouldn't do myself. 

So no, nobody is going to take over it, and it's WW policy to prevent that from happening to any translator, as we've shown in the past. 

Lastly, next time I read the word "idiot" or any insulting comment 2 times in a row, I won't even warn the person in question, but ban him.

And one of the member's opinion, from Alec 

I would just like to mention the fact that this is entertainment, it is not unlikely that some would complain if a translator happens to slow down. Now what I'm getting at is the fact that whenever someone so much as utters something close to a complaint this happens. 

Also, Yn5an3 are you saying that if someone wants to translate something another person is translating they need their permission? And if this is so does that mean that the 'official translator' are taking another persons work, that being the authors work as their own?

I will elaborate on this on the previously, what I am pointing is that no translator can claim anything as their own besides their version of the translation. This is true for all except the MGA translator seeing as he is in close contact with the author.

Lets all discuss this rationally and thoughtfully, this could be a fun debate of sorts. 

Comments

• Translators don't own the right to translate. They do however, own the right to their translations since it is a derivative work. That means while the original copyright holder can DMCA the translations, they cannot use the translation for their own.

Japanese or Chinese novel, they're both at risk for DMCA, but I doubt the Chinese side will do so if at all.

• edited February 2016
    Chinese don't enforce much copyright if any at all the problem with Japanese novels is anime has been popularised in america so in reality its the americans who are issuing DMCA so before Tencent decides to venture outside China(with the exception of owning Riot Games) there is no chance it will happen. As long as Chinese novels don't get official translations done(they most likely won't profitability would be low imo) then they are pretty safe and I think WW set the only logical way for it to work have unofficial translator release books on amazon so people can buy them and give partial profit to author/publisher. Chinese copyright is so loose this issue is for 10years in the future if at all. 
  • Actually Viz media and the american anime companies make the japanese rights holders such as shueisha,kodansha,toei... send most of the official letters for takedown notices , so its quite rare to see a proper DMCA on your mail as scanlator or part of anime sub group.

今晚想跟我上床吗?

• No poaching is WW policy. To know why you need to know a bit of the backstory about what happened. You can read about it there:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LightNovels/comments/3eukbh/tl_stellar_transformations_a_case_study_in_the/