Against the Gods - Latest Chapter Discussions

Comments

• If he did cripple him he would die just the same with nobody to take care of him.

They can still live can't they? It's just that they're basically a human in a cultivator's world. And he would still be keeping his promise too.
  • They can , but especially in the first moments after the crippling medical care is needed so for someone like him with nobody to treat him it would be just as effective as death right on the spot.

今晚想跟我上床吗?

• edited February 2016
    YC is basically a medicinal god. Something like that wouldn't even need much of his time. I'm a little frustrated the author didn't do this, but I guess it's probably more along the lines of what Digao said with the HPT and all - or the author just wants another subplot/arc.
  • edited February 2016
    kinda sick of all these "secret weapons" that the Burning Heaven Sect has

they've already showed like 5+ in this arc, one after the other, and every single time a "secret weapon" fails or gets destroyed, another gets brought up

all these formations and shii... damn, can't they just rest in peace for once, damn burning heaven sect causin trouble
  • I agree. And they'll perpetually continue to cause trouble since Juechen is still alive.
  • Damn that Dumb Che, it's one thing to let a survivor go a second time, but why didn't he took their Spacial Rings? It was the rings from a level 4 Emperor Realm and a Patriarch, and also rings of dozens of Elders...

And what he said in the end...wow so conceited, didn't he realize that even though Fen Juechen may never catch up to him, he could still threaten the people close to him. Like what just happened when they took his family hostage.
  • edited February 2016
    Yeah it's pretty ironic since the whole incident started with someone kidnapping people close to him/family.
  • It's daft too.   He exterminated the rest of the sect explicitly to prevent any of them cultivating power and seeking revenge,* yet spared the only one guaranteed to have the best motivation and potential to do so.   And the Yun Che justifies this by claiming he cannot possibly imagine even Fen Juechen becoming a threat.

Which kind of made the whole extermination pointless.

(* of course, there were no sectarians out on missions or anything, and none of the slain had friends or family in branch sects, or other sects, who might train like mad for revenge, and it's not like the murder of thousands won't become a rallying call for some distant experts or anything. Nope, he totally cut off that problem at the root. )

• edited February 2016
    Greyman said:

It's daft too.   He exterminated the rest of the sect explicitly to prevent any of them cultivating power and seeking revenge,* yet spared the only one guaranteed to have the best motivation and potential to do so.   And the Yun Che justifies this by claiming he cannot possibly imagine even Fen Juechen becoming a threat.

Which kind of made the whole extermination pointless.

(* of course, there were no sectarians out on missions or anything, and none of the slain had friends or family in branch sects, or other sects, who might train like mad for revenge, and it's not like the murder of thousands won't become a rallying call for some distant experts or anything. Nope, he totally cut off that problem at the root. )

Yeah but thousands of disciples many of their parents would be those elders or core members that got killed so they can still kill any of his relative and suicide. It if its just 1 than it is still good and he only want to take revenge against yun che for now at least. Branch sect are different family altogether they won't feel so strong ties to Main sect. Besides if he think like there might be more people who can murder his family out there too so no use on killing this guys that would be even more terrible.

They will lose their luxury life, family died many would think for revenge they can't do anything to yun che so can only take out on his family and if there are so many thousands of them most likely they will succeed. 
  • Fen juechen more devastating than fen yijue. He can move his soul and pull power from it. He might as well have killed fen juechen and spared yijue... what an horrible ending to a horrible arc. This ling tianni bs isn't any better. I would rather read about ling jie at this point.
  • edited February 2016
    Why does it matter that he spared him? It's not like he wanted to spare him out of arrogance, it was the price he paid for little Aunt. 
  • pandaBee said:
    Why does it matter that he spared him? It's not like he wanted to spare him out of arrogance, it was the price he paid for little Aunt. 
    Little aunt has no worldly knowledge , doesnt know fen juechen left alive would cause Yun Che big ass problems , but Yun Che knows ., shouldave just killed him anf said ittle aunt , that he let him live. :pensive: 
  • It is arrogance when the reason Yun Che give for sparring him is that he doesn't believe Fen Juechen will ever surpass him. Doing that after the long diatribe of sappy overemotional tearjerking backstory about how his master died, how he almost lost his family because he let someone go the first time. Blablabla more bullshit, just to end up letting Fen Juechen go. This is Dumb Che in all his brilliance. At this point, it deserve a Golden Raspberry Awards.
  • No no, this isn't arrogance at all, this is the author setting up another stupid and easily avoidable plot. Honestly I think the author has pretty much ruined Yun Che...
  • edited February 2016
    I wish the side characters like fen chuejen and fen juecheng and fen yijue or whatever just held aunt in his hands with his palm cluthced around her skull and made yun che commit suicide to ensure she stays safe. When 60% of your clan is dead why isn't aunt a target when shes inside their own fortress clearly he cares beyond anything throwing himself at a one of the great sects solo to ensure they stay safe!

fucking beyond me. god help the side characters in the story.

all that talk about keeping people alive, then leaving alive the one with the most ability to ascend the throne of power and attack his loved ones when he isn't around. All it takes is one attack and one kill to wake him up. woooo this is all way beyond me and since this story is lot further in I am already debating whether to keep up with it.
  • all that talk about keeping people alive, then leaving alive the one with the most ability to ascend the throne of power and attack his loved ones when he isn't around.

Yes, that's another aspect of the Dumb Che decision: while others will fear retaliation in kind, Fen Juechen now has nothing left to loose.

• No no, this isn't arrogance at all, this is the author setting up another stupid and easily avoidable plot. Honestly I think the author has pretty much ruined Yun Che...

I agree with everyone else that it was partly arrogance but its main purpose was so that the author could drop hints (aka sow seeds) for possible future plots.

Why do I think this? Well, the reader was already informed about Yun Che's current powers so there was no need for the character to actually voice them out loud again, just as there was no need to voice the then extraneous details surrounding the capture of the Demon at the beginning of the seal renewal demonstration at the Sword Management Terrace.

So, Yun Che seemingly boasts about his godly powers yet just before we are told about a (presumably) godly weapon that can destroy continents. And if it is destructive to this extent, it must be able to kill gods, right? That being the case, the author must be dropping hints about the Heaven Punishing Ancestral Sword, right?

Then immediately after, Ling Tianni voices out extraneous stuff about a continental tournament...
  • ... I am already debating whether to keep up with it.

I have a personal rule whereby I never start anything that I don't intend to finish.  That has lead me down the path of some very bad experiences but it has also lead me to good experiences too.

If you stop now then you won't have a place at the discussion table.

In any event, this is an unfinished work. The picture painted by the author is not yet complete but it is, with respect to the limitations of internet light novels and in my opinion, showing some master strokes on the broader canvas. I like the story telling, the story and the way it is unfolding.

I wish the side characters like fen chuejen and fen juecheng and fen yijue or whatever just held aunt in his hands with his palm cluthced around her skull and made yun che commit suicide to ensure she stays safe. When 60% of your clan is dead why isn't aunt a target when shes inside their own fortress clearly he cares beyond anything throwing himself at a one of the great sects solo to ensure they stay safe!

It comes down to the code of honour of the profound practitioners in this case.

In wuxia novels, upright and righteous practitioners would rather suffer heavy injuries or even death than to practice unorthodox martial arts techniques that were clearly more powerful and could ensure victory.

In ancient China during the Qin unification wars, the enemy forces believed it to be dishonourable to attack whilst their enemy was in a disadvantaged position (ie they would wait until the Qin forces had crossed rivers and gathered themselves before taking action). Consequently, they were defeated as direct result of their code of honour.

In Japanese novels involving the bushido code of honour (though I admit not knowing much about it), warriors would rather cut open their bellies than to cause dishonour.

In ATG, it was made clear that the profound practitioner's code of honour does not allow for the kidnapping of the enemie's relatives for the purposes of taking revenge - even more so when one of the four largest sects professes itself as being righteous. Hence why, save for Fen Juecheng, the Burning Heaven Clan did not even consider using Little Aunt as a bargaining chip in order to coerce Yun Che into surrender. I think this reasoning is quite plausible in the context of the story.

• edited February 2016
    Actually I would have been happy if they acknoldged they had a card hidden in their sleeve. 'We have his aunt if he wont lay his arms down we can just force him' sort of interaction. Its just... you know it actually doesnt even matter i can only switch of my brain and read ATG. Ahh. No need to get crazy over a
  • edited February 2016
    Digao said:

It comes down to the code of honour of the profound practitioners in this case.
    The Chinese code of honour is called "yiqi".

http://postimg.org/image/rotisscaz/

• What's the bet, that young prince asshole offends Yun Che by being a dick, gets his ass beaten, and the entire Divine Wind empire wants his head for revenge?
  • Blue Wind or Divine Phoenix empires?

今晚想跟我上床吗?

• I can almost guarantee that is what will happen.
  • Dont promise things over which you have no control please.

今晚想跟我上床吗?

• Blue Wind or Divine Phoenix empires?
    pandaBee said:
    I can almost guarantee that is what will happen.
    @pod who the fuck knows. He will somehow fart and end up offending half the continent anyway. 

Honestly im getting kinda fed up of ATG. The constant cycle of offend someone, get stronger, kill, gain treasure, sage advice from jasmine, get stronger, offend someone, yadda yadda. 
  • Yo tournament mentioned again, this time it will consist if emperor levels right? High sky/emp...? Possible the reintro of yuanba who will win this time cause he at Tyrant pevel
  • Tho I like yuanba thinking a little this might be to early to comeback...
  • True his comeback is too soon, he should have met up with Yun Che when he comes back from Demon Continent 
  • I always get so annoyed when Fen Juechen bs plot come up, seriously?? his clan got destroyed to that state and yet he come up with more bs history of his father seriously wtf?
  • Oh, it is not like these things never happen.   However, it is the first time I have come across an antagonist gaining a secret-heritage cheat power-up for revenge plot device.