Against the Gods - Latest Chapter Discussions

Comments

• "You're courting death" He is still saying that? Lol. Doesn't he understand it doesn't make him any mightier.

His whole character can be described with "You're courting death" haha

yeah truly rediclous, your courting death" kills more people, "your courting death even more than before" continues rampage "how dare you resist death after i swore to kill you a second time, now im gona kill you even more now"
  • edited January 2016
    lmao yeah. one of my fav phrases from ATG haha they say it every 2 minutes during fights

there's also "Insolence!" and "We had eyes but we did not see Mount Tai!"
  • edited February 2016
    Right now I really hate Yun Che. Two reasons.

1. Yun Che is a rapist.
    2. Yun Che is breaking and enter and assaulting Frozen Cloud Asgard.

1. This happened. We all read it. Yun Che raped Chu Yuechan. Was it justified? Rape is rape. If Chu Yuechan wanted to stay a cripple for the rest of her life, then that was her decision and hers alone. She clearly stated no. And the rapist Yun Che raped her anyhow.

2. Frozen Cloud Asgard has done nothing wrong. Yes, Yun Che disagrees with FCA's methods. Does that give him the right to destroy it? Does this mean that if Yun Che disagrees with any sects, clans, or families, then Yun Che has the right to destroy them? FCA's methods are brutal: lower life expectancy, pain, and celibacy. But so what? Those are all freedoms the members of FCA have voluntarily relinquished.

Why was Chu Yuechan exiled from FCA? Because Yun Che raped her. And now he's assaulting FCA to find his rape victim. There is zero reprieve for Yun Che.

FCA has done and is doing nothing wrong. Yun Che just doesn't like them and their methods and so he's assaulting them.

Yun Che has always had the moral high ground in battles. He takes grievances personally and destroys those who wrong him. FCA has NEVER wronged him. If anything, FCA has been magnanimous with him. FCA let Xia Qingyue marry him for face. FCA let Xia Qingyue stay with Yun Che for a month after their wedding for additional face. FCA protected his Little Aunt and grandfather when he could not. FCA instantly recognized Yun Che's contribution to Xia Qingyue after Xia Qingyue revealed what Yun Che had done. How has Yun Che repaid FCA? While Yun Che owed FCA multiple debts, he made a deal with Chu Yuechan instead of repaying the favor. Does saving his aunt and grandfather mean nothing to him? Yun Che raped Chu Yuechan. Does the word, "No" mean nothing to him? And now he's attacking FCA while insulting their clan leader and all of its members?

The way the author is handling the whole FCA arc is disgusting me. I honestly thought the entire FCA arc was going to be a delicate diplomatic affair. Walking on egg shells, one-on-one pointer sessions, wooing all the members of FCA with his overwhelming strength, charisma, and medical knowledge. That would have been an epic arc. Right now... he's an immature little brat throwing a temper tantrum. Just because he's mad doesn't mean he's in the right.
    By the legal definition in US criminal code, yes, what Yun Che did to Yuechan was rape.  

-however, the most important person in the situation, Yuechan did not see it as rape.  Ultimately, she consented to sex with Yun Che in her heart and mind, while protesting with her mouth.  I sorta suggest you read chapter 192 again, it sounds like your memories of what was written were colored by time a bit, as the scene was not described as a violent violation.  Furthermore, Yun Che knew what he was doing to her was rape, because she would never concent to it.  In his mind the situation was simple, if he didn't do this, she would die, as she already made it clear she would rather die then be a cripple.  He was willing to take the blame for this action, and even her killing him afterwards, in exchange for saving her life and repairing her damaged body.  

Personally I think you could blame the author for the lame writing to set up such a contrived TYPE-MOON like situation.  Why can't they just have sex as a union of love or lust?  why does it need to be quasi-rappy in an attempt to save her life?  Worse, the author has set up a similar issue with Yun Che's current and thus far only wife.  

As for FCA, their actions are inhuman.  Their clan and cultivation methods are inhuman.  The way they treated Yuechan was inhuman.  Furthermore their "power" isn't true naturally gained power, it's flawed power.  So they steal away talented girls who could have had happy lives, rob them of their lives, souls and lock them away from humanity until their deaths.  In the persuit of what?  power?   Look at his wife.  She doesn't really even know what she's doing anymore.  She wants the power to find and travel to the realm of the gods and find her mother again, yet her father and bother and husband she's abandoned and the people she's cultivating with don't know where or what the realm of the gods is.  She's the perfect example of why FCA is so monstrous.  If left alone she probably would end up a 7 or 8 stage throne, wasting away in her 150th year, her father, brother, husband dead, and no closer to her goal, probably never even thinking about her goal or long dead family.  The very nature of that sect is corrupt and in need or rapid reform.  The best thing to happy to Yuechan's life was waking up from that slumber embracing her love for Yun Che and walking her own path to happiness.  

I'm going to add one more thing for you to think about.  If you want a LN series with progressive feminist ideals, you probably don't want to read any Wuxia novel.  Not to generalize too much, but these novels are about as progressive as a 1960's-1970's american fantasy novel (you know those trash novels with chicks in chainmail bikinis?).  There are better novels then others, but in the whole they practically drip of misogynism and are littered with weak, dependent women; who all will need to be rescued or bitchy girls who need to be put in their place by the manly man, and maybe fall in love with him while being stomped on by him.  I can read and get enjoyment from plenty of things that contain aspects of other things which offend me on a daily basis.  All of life you'll run into ideas and concepts which you disagree with.  However I am confident enough in what i know is right/wrong that when i come across something like chapter 192 i can put aside uncomfortable questions about the misogynistic writer who concocted the situation, and put aside my disgust in the topic long enough to see if there is any way to read it which might justify this action.  In this case there was, he was literally saving her life by raping her.  Furthermore, he was willing to let her kill him if she so chose to do so afterwords, as he raped her with full knowledge it was without her consent, judging her life more important then her virginity and sect rules; Finally; the rape victem herself does not see it as rape, but rather was grateful for what he did and as she later told the sect leader she had fallen in love with him BEFORE they had sex. 
  • @ the "Yun Che is/isn't a rapist" debate:

y'all forgetting this is a fictional universe, with different laws and moral values
  • Yea nothing from our world applies law wise because it is a different world. The only thing that applies is us readers morals and personal beliefs.

The author wrote it in a greyish area, some are torn by it, some can see the justification in it.
  • Yun Che plot armor is impressive.
  • @ the "Yun Che is/isn't a rapist" debate:

y'all forgetting this is a fictional universe, with different laws and moral values

... including the whole "virgin seed healing and power up" deal which enabled the ridiculous plot in the first place.
  • Thank god masturbation isnt a thing in their world.

今晚想跟我上床吗?

• yeah, when I first read that virgin seed part I suddenly though about masturbation.He never did it once?? such strong mind....
  • pandaBee said:

Greyman said:

Yun Che was smarter when he was weaker, and seems to have become more reckless with greater power.   
    Well, now that two Emperor level experts have shown up, and Yun Che can't just troll over them, hopefully we'll see a return of Smart Che for a bit. 
  • Greyman said:

pandaBee said:

Greyman said:

Yun Che was smarter when he was weaker, and seems to have become more reckless with greater power.   
    Well, now that two Emperor level experts have shown up, and Yun Che can't just troll over them, hopefully we'll see a return of Smart Che for a bit. 

At least now i Expect him to use his mind not just his fists to remove Burning sect. I REALLY hope what you say happens, I'm tired of seeing Yun Che become Chu Feng and attack head on!!!
  • I bet he will charge in blindly. Brute Che doesn't need to plan, he can use his gorilla strength handle to beat the emperor level 4 guy. He can take on a level 3 emperor without his handle, like we had seen when he battle Frozen Cloud Asgard mistress.

Go Brute Che Go, make a muscle!
  • i think he'll go stealth mode on this one

no way he's gonna rush from the front door again, that'd be like extremely stupid
  • Didn't they say emperor levels are extremely rare, and every sect only has one with the exception of FCA?

If burning clan had two emperor levels in hiding, and they are the arrogant clan we know them to be why wasn't it ever announced to the other sects? There was that whole idea of more than one seat makes the sect the strongest.
  • edited January 2016
    @ Fellow-Daoist

Those Emperor elders have already done the following though:
    -
    • distanced themselves from their sects
    • gave their sect ranks to someone else
    • entered secluded cultivation
    -
    They seem to be focusing solely on their own cultivation, not trivial matters such as their sects' everyday activities. Pretty sure every great sect has such 'retired' Grand Elders that do nothing but medidate in seclusion. Wasn't it mentioned in the last 100 or so chapters that there's a Grand Elder in FCA too, some extremely powerful ex-Mistress that has been cultivating in seclusion for hundreds of years?

It's pretty much like with the clans in MGA I think.
  • Don't forget that most of the clan's arrogance appears to have started only since those two grand elders entered seclusion decades ago, and it was implied that after fading from the limelight they have become something like the clan's secret weapon - not something to be bruited about.
  • edited January 2016
    @ Chapter 338:

"Yun Che extended his arm, releasing the Profound Handle. It instantly
    flew and pierced its way to this person’s mind… Immediately, all the
    memories belonging to this Burning Heaven Clan’s Hall Master poured into
    Yun Che’s mind at an extremely fast rate."

Interesting... since when can he do that? O;
  • Since his grandfather told him Profound Handle could do mental attacks too.

今晚想跟我上床吗?

• The Revival of Smart/Cunning Yun Che!!!! And the powers of Profound Handle is really awesome!! But it does use up spiritual power so give and take policy! It's not OP so don't go nagging about it k!!
  • The best part about the current situation Yun Che cannot fight head on against the two Emperor level Elders when they are together so he will probably wait out for one of them to search for him. Then he will ambush him making it much easier to then save Xiao Lie with only one Elder left to stop him.
  • By the legal definition in US criminal code, yes, what Yun Che did to Yuechan was rape.  

-however, the most important person in the situation, Yuechan did not see it as rape.  Ultimately, she consented to sex with Yun Che in her heart and mind, while protesting with her mouth.  I sorta suggest you read chapter 192 again, it sounds like your memories of what was written were colored by time a bit, as the scene was not described as a violent violation.
    Rape doesn't have to be violent. What I read was rape, followed by I have no idea. However, I'm concerned with the former part, not the latter. You know, the rape part.
    Furthermore, Yun Che knew what he was doing to her was rape, because she would never concent to it.  In his mind the situation was simple, if he didn't do this, she would die, as she already made it clear she would rather die then be a cripple.
    And It's my full belief that Yun Che should have let her die. It's her life. She should be able to choose whether to live or die. Not have that decision forced upon her. It's not like she was committing suicide or anything. She didn't want to betray her personal beliefs.
    As for FCA, their actions are inhuman.  Their clan and cultivation methods are inhuman.  The way they treated Yuechan was inhuman.  Furthermore their "power" isn't true naturally gained power, it's flawed power.  So they steal away talented girls who could have had happy lives, rob them of their lives, souls and lock them away from humanity until their deaths.  In the persuit of what?  power?   Look at his wife.  She doesn't really even know what she's doing anymore.  She wants the power to find and travel to the realm of the gods and find her mother again, yet her father and bother and husband she's abandoned and the people she's cultivating with don't know where or what the realm of the gods is.  She's the perfect example of why FCA is so monstrous.  If left alone she probably would end up a 7 or 8 stage throne, wasting away in her 150th year, her father, brother, husband dead, and no closer to her goal, probably never even thinking about her goal or long dead family.  The very nature of that sect is corrupt and in need or rapid reform.  The best thing to happy to Yuechan's life was waking up from that slumber embracing her love for Yun Che and walking her own path to happiness.
    Why does nobody save the Tibetan monks? I'd say their situation is fairly similar to FCA. Oh yeah, they're guys. And this world is sexist.
    I'm going to add one more thing for you to think about.  If you want a LN series with progressive feminist ideals, you probably don't want to read any Wuxia novel.  Not to generalize too much, but these novels are about as progressive as a 1960's-1970's american fantasy novel (you know those trash novels with chicks in chainmail bikinis?).  There are better novels then others, but in the whole they practically drip of misogynism and are littered with weak, dependent women; who all will need to be rescued or bitchy girls who need to be put in their place by the manly man, and maybe fall in love with him while being stomped on by him.
    I've noticed this. Quite a lot. Damsel in distress is a classic. The misogyny makes me feel... mad at times. I'm not a feminist. I don't even require strong female characters. I just don't want blatant misogyny. Yun Che gives off the sense that he "owns" the women in his life. Yun che also doesn't give them any respect or decision making capability. He raped Chu Yuechan without letting her decide to live or die. He drugged Xiao Lingxi without letting her decide. He just does things. Immorally wrong things to these women. That's what's really getting to me. I don't mind the damsel in distress and the white knight coming along and sweeping them off their feet. I just don't want the White Knight to pull out a vial of the date rape drug, drug the damsel, then rape her.

I very much enjoy reading I Shall Seal the Heavens and Tales of Demons and Gods. There are weak damsels in distress littering the area. They need to be rescued. They throw themselves at the MC's. And the MC's act tactfully and humbly. I very much appreciate that.
    I can read and get enjoyment from plenty of things that contain aspects of other things which offend me on a daily basis.  All of life you'll run into ideas and concepts which you disagree with.  However I am confident enough in what i know is right/wrong that when i come across something like chapter 192 i can put aside uncomfortable questions about the misogynistic writer who concocted the situation, and put aside my disgust in the topic long enough to see if there is any way to read it which might justify this action. In this case there was, he was literally saving her life by raping her. 
    That's the problem I'm having. I can tell from reading these chapters. I can feel the misogyny of the author and it's disgusting. The author FORCED this situation. He didn't need to write it this way, but he did. The rape felt 100% forced and I could tell the author intentionally wrote it that way.
    Finally; the rape victem herself does not see it as rape, but rather was grateful for what he did and as she later told the sect leader she had fallen in love with him BEFORE they had sex. 

It's still rape. It's like a rape victim falling in love with her rapist and not wanting to press charges. It's still rape and I'm never going to be okay with that.
  • Yun Che was smarter when he was weaker, and seems to have become more reckless with greater power.   Various instances where Troll Che provokes someone into making angry mistakes or tricks them into underestimating him were pretty okay.  But this time should really have shown a bit more fore planning.
    Yun Che was definitely smarter when he was weaker. He's like the hulk. Yun Che went from genius nerdy scientist to beefed up angry ball of muscles. You won't like when Hulk Che is angry.
    This was a perfect opportunity to show off more of Smart Che.   Xiao Che, attorney for the defense, is one of my favorite plots of the story, and the Genius Doctor arc comes a close second.
    Omg, the Genius Doctor arc literally made this entire story for me. I LOL'ed super hard on the "GRANDPA!!!" *kowtows in pain* and it seriously made me fall in love with the series.

Yun Che suffer from regression. At first he had two life time of experience and it was obvious by how he acted and planed every single steps. But since the Blue Wind tournament, all we're seeing is King Kong Che with the brain of a monkey. It's not even fun to see him trash people anymore. It remind me of a Korean movie I once watched. The movie was about a superstar actor making a new action movie in which from beginning to end he endlessly fight nonstop. During the Premiere, the viewers were all excited for the first 15 minutes, but afterward they were all bored to death. This is how i feel when reading the Burning Heaven Arc. There's no wise plan or cunning plot, just plain boring B-class action movie stunt. Yun Che on steroid is lame.

Death to Dumb Che!
    Return of Smart Che!
    Yun Che has been suffering regression. Usually people become smarter over time. I think this is actually where a lot of my displeasure is coming from. Yun Che's just become an idiotic ball of muscles. A regression from the sly and plotting genius. He's shifted from the Logos to the Pathos.
  • The return of smart che ???
  • Haha Elder and clan master returning to see that their whole clan has vanished..

R.I.P., we will not miss you
  • The whole clans gona die now. Those emperors are useless been in seclusion for far to long..
  • The return of smart che ???

Somewhat. If he'd been really smart he would have done this in the first place, but, at least he's learning.

• If he was smart, with his strength he could have secretly killed the guards in the prison in silence instead of using his huge Dragon Fault to smash them with a big bang. He could have kill the guards, free the prisoners and bring calamity to Burning Heavens and watching in the sidelines. But no, he had to vent his anger and smash the guards -_-
  • @TakeshiKudo I have accepted the fate all Xianxia no matter who the mc is, what the situation is we will still read boom boom boom over smart dialogue.
  • Oh boy, Dumb Che is back stronger than ever -_-

Instead of killing Fen Yijue as fast as possible, he faked to struggle to wait for Fen Duanhun and company to come just so he could kill his son in front of him. Then Fen Ziya come and Dumb Che is in a dire situation facing two Thrones at the same time. Now he doesn't know if he can survive or not. WOW i'm flabbergast at the stupidity of his plan. Lucky he has a thick plot armor to save his sorry ass.
  • He could still use his profound handle to attack Burning Heaven main headquarters right?