What do you like about Xianxia?

What do you like about Xianxia?

What makes these type of series so enjoyable for us? Is there a certain aspect that we find is only Xianxia or Wuxia.
 Is it the fights scenes, harems, magic, swords, luck, deluxe set of plot Armour or something else that keeps us happy?
What is it that is unique to Xianxia?

Tagged:

Comments

• edited December 2015
    I believe that Xianxia series have characters who are ambitious with ruthless tenacious to achieve their goals or desires. This is stronger than in any other type of series.
  • 1. I'm sick and tired and sick and sick of betafag MCs - particularly those of the Wapanese variety. Just don't want to deal with it anymore. Even though Xianxia MCs are a bit too hardcore sometimes (COUGH COUGH CHU FENG COUGH) it's still much better than what I'm used to.
    2. I love fantasy/adventure/training stories. Xianxia is full of these.
  • edited December 2015
    what i like about xianxia, is even though they are pretty simple and shallow, they move forward constantly. after being a person who binged on jap anime/manga/LN, the radical different of alpha MC's and constantly moving story and strong MC was like breathing air after almost drowning.

plus unlike english novels the the the number of cockroach villains is low (meaning there's not a bullshit plot armor on the villains), and the MC's grow and and are strong throughout the story instead of just at the end. (seriously a whole story of drama then in the final 2 chapters the MC acts all badass and thats all we get).

so basically what i like about xianxia is that even though the story's are shallow, the MC's are a bit overkill (pun intended for those who understand), and the plot is wonky, just the fact that the MC 'gets shit done' is probably what draw's me to xianxia. (probably one of few good points of a daily chapter system)
  • edited December 2015
    JP and KR novels generally have very 1 dimensional MCs that are never do wrong goody goody, and are pretty much brainwashed Christians really, or they're just overly overly "nice" self-insert beta males who are too cowardly to do anything in the first place.

Probably cus of being democracies and being domesticated like animals by western notions as Western novels share the same dilemma (which is why I don't enjoy western novels too; western novels also suffer from a clear lack of creativity relative to eastern ones and have much more limited scopes and shit as far as I'm concerned hence I get bored as fk when trying to read them). 

The characters generally have inherent behavioural tendencies and beliefs such as such as "do not kill", "do not steal", "treat others as you would like them to treat you", "we are all equal", "everybody is nice and friendly", "everybody agrees and everybody follows the 'rules'" and blah blah blah that is common thoughts of a brainwashed democracy slave.

CN novels are more "every man for himself", "how dare you hurt my family i kill u", "might equals right and it's my rules since i'm strong", "just wait a little while i prepare a savory revenge", "haha this nub doesn't know how stupid he is being acting so arrogent when I'm so much stronger than him, perfect chance to ruin his le face".

I mean, imagine reading something similar to Yun Che's conning the Xaoi or whatever branch clan by acting as a legendary foreign medical saint or whatever and eventually stealing everything in their treasury and also ruining the future of the clan leaders son or whatever, and eventually killing him after torturing him in a JP/KR/Western novel.

You can't can you? Because, that sort of thing is difficult to comprehend by those in those regions as they've been too domesticated.

Even Weed from LMS for example, is meant to be super cut throat, but he would never do even half of the crazy shit MCs from CN novels do, because he's been domesticated by that sort of boring ass delusional belief system.

So CN novels are fun to read just cus of that from the get go; the human relations and interactions between characters is basically a lot more diverse and chaotic compared to those found in novels from other regions and genres, which keeps it entertaining.

I also agree with the whole,

>ambitious with ruthless tenacious to achieve their goals or desires. This is stronger than in any other type of series.

Since not everybody is inherent nice in CN novels, it rewards those that are more competitive, ambitious and crafty. In other regions, being "crafty" would probably be seen as a bad thing, but in these settings it's a great characteristic to have. Crafty, ruthless, ambitious leads are gr8 basically; million times better than zzzz average democracy slave never do wrong MCs.

Xianxia novels in general are fun to read also, because of the usual start as trash -> become a God feature. It's rarely obvious how the MC will do that, especially as he's usually the lowest of the low, so it's a mystery every step of the way.

There's always someone stronger also, there's a higher plane or whatever, so the MC is always pressured. And when written well, how the MC progresses is non-obvious and entertaining to read.

The world building and mechanics involved are usually reasonably interesting also. Like CDs law shit, and LLS summoning system.

How a character gets strong involves a lot more than a lot of stories and shit you find in other genres since cultivating methods in stories are diverse as fk.

The worlds and settings and shit in general are also pretty interesting in the first place.
  • I like xianxia cos of power levels. I dunno but japanese mangas dun have dat.
  • EliteHaz said:

I like xianxia cos of power levels. I dunno but japanese mangas dun have dat.

I think it's more along the lines of there's never any clearly defined power levels, and even if they are it's never consistent especially when it comes to MC. His power never ever seems to work unless it's the final battle or one of his 'friends' gets hurt
  • EliteHaz said:

I like xianxia cos of power levels. I dunno but japanese mangas dun have dat.

I think it's more along the lines of there's never any clearly defined power levels, and even if they are it's never consistent especially when it comes to MC. His power never ever seems to work unless it's the final battle or one of his 'friends' gets hurt
    Yeah, what he said. From what I've read JP mc's just get power ups from when friends get hurt or in a final battle.
  • My first contact with Xianxia was with Stellar Transformation , which i enjoyed , before the ascension (same case with CD) , tho it was a little shallow , i enjoyed the mc leveling up and messing with stronger people (that simple) , besides i like hardworking mc , nonetheless the impresion it left me was shallow.
    The second Xianxia i read was Xian Ni , this one left a much deeper impression , isn't cultivation supposed to be a fight against the heavens' will? then to me Wang Lin is the best exemple of a practitioner i can think of , someone with low talent but great stubbornness , the 2 first books were really enjoyable to me , i love that feeling of the mc goin against all odds and pulling through like a boss c': (tho wang lin wasn't as successful ) , that was what hooked me with Xianxia novels.
    And well ,basically i like the mc going from being a nobody to a  bad ass (?) , how good the journey is  , will determine how much i like the story (evidently) .
  • Xianxia's are fun and easy to read, require little investment to enjoy.  Kind of like a Michael Bay movie, you know what your getting and can just turn your brain off and enjoy the ride. 
  • edited December 2015
    Vexram said:

what i like about xianxia, is even though they are pretty simple and shallow, they move forward constantly. after being a person who binged on jap anime/manga/LN, the radical different of alpha MC's and constantly moving story and strong MC was like breathing air after almost drowning.

plus unlike english novels the the the number of cockroach villains is low (meaning there's not a bullshit plot armor on the villains), and the MC's grow and and are strong throughout the story instead of just at the end. (seriously a whole story of drama then in the final 2 chapters the MC acts all badass and thats all we get).

so basically what i like about xianxia is that even though the story's are shallow, the MC's are a bit overkill (pun intended for those who understand), and the plot is wonky, just the fact that the MC 'gets shit done' is probably what draw's me to xianxia. (probably one of few good points of a daily chapter system)

O.o I never thought about it,but even villains have plot amour(ex. Harry Potter). What an interesting insight. :O :D
  • Well, what I like about it is that the characters seem more human than most other genres (the ones that are actually being developed). They are not just killing bad guys for the greater good or the kindness of their heart, they are doing it for themselves. This makes the characters so much more believable than those hero dudes that often plague western litterature (All this good vs evil bullshit).
  • edited December 2015
    @somethingsomething123
    Don't think it's fair to compare weed's actions to those of these xianxia MCs. In xianxia, for the most part, there is no law or order to a large extent - it's all about how powerful you are. 

Weed's society is different, and the story takes place in a virtual reality, where you can't really "kill' or "torture" people. 
  • No one likes wimpy mc's,Japanese novels have mostly those kind of protagonists so I prefer XX
  • I love every story where MC is badass. In xianxia every MC is like that so thats mostly why i like it so much. In xianxia they are not afraid to kill ppl, they dont write stupid love stories, most MCs arent bound by some stupid beliefs. I also like harem part in xianxia. And also i like when there is one MC and not many of them, like in some fantasy books where each chapter is about another character. I like to ready when full story is written by MC point of view. 
    Why i'm getting more and more angry watching anime/ reading mangas is becouse they lack all that aspects. Only sometimes you can find good ones, for example One Punch Man. 
  • One major reason I like Chinese novels is the general lack of never-do-wrong-white-hat-holier-than-thou-goodie-two-shoes-MC in them.

Since even some of the nicest (character-wise) Xianxia MCs still qualifies as borderline psychos by western/japanese standards (Long Hao Cheng/Shi Hao, anyone?), and the less-nice ones (Yun Che and Chu Feng sure works... as does Nie Li and Yue Yang)... Could always use more of those in this world. Always :D
  • edited December 2015
    Right now I'm reading an Jap LN to pass the time between Xianxias. It's just so weird tough... Even an MC who has a mysterious past as a brutal assassin, doesn't kill. Why? It makes no sense not to take down an enemy that's greatly harmed his allies.

Plus why is it that when an enemy is defeated they somehow manage to escape each and every time? And how is it that the enemy always seems to have perfect intelligence on what the MC is going to do/has done. It seems that whatever Intel the MC gets about anything is already always in the hands of the enemy. It would make sense if the enemy was some big group while the MC is part of the rebels etc, but this happens in opposite scenarios as well! And whenever MC and villian have a fight, MC's power level is always reduced to just below villian levels until friends are hurt. And the villian always seems to have a perfect counter for any and all power ups that have happened previously....

/rant. For now.
  • For me, it will be the characters and their interactions. Quite simply ^.^
    If you'd like more chapters of ISSI or Tales send me a note on patreon!
  • Caladbolg said:

For me, it will be the characters and their interactions. Quite simply ^.^

This is the best thing about any novel. ;)
  • Because main characters are not goody goody! 
  • Aside from the badass MC, interesting cultivation technique and many other things....

What really hooked me is the fact that many people would in fact, sucking up to those stronger than them or at least be humble and respectful when addressing someone that's stronger than them unlike many people in japanese LNs who act like an arrogant asshole even though the one they faced is someone who can kill them with a flick of a finger.
    Usually these guys are people of high standing like the nobles/high ranking officers in medieval fantasy setting. It seriously frustrates me how they act like a king in front of someone that's capable of killing them as easy as flipping his/her hand yet keeps looking down on said person, even though they know of said person's strength. The thing that makes it even more frustrating is that the aforementioned person (usually MC but sometimes can be someone else) just let it go like that. The only japanese LN that actually acted properly is the Emperor in Overlord. I like how he realized the difference in power, prompting him to act properly in that situation.

In Xianxia, this goes like how I imagined it to be, people who realized the insane strength of the other party won't go about spouting retarded shit to his/her face, they would instead, acted cautiously and try to maintain a good relationship.
    Even if they aren't that clear of the other party's true power, they would still be cautious and show humility and probe first instead of declaring an ultimatum to surrender everything to them (*cough* Kyuuketsu Hime *cough*).
  • JP and KR novels generally have very 1 dimensional MCs that are never do wrong goody goody, and are pretty much brainwashed Christians really, or they're just overly overly "nice" self-insert beta males who are too cowardly to do anything in the first place.

Probably cus of being democracies and being domesticated like animals by western notions as Western novels share the same dilemma (which is why I don't enjoy western novels too; western novels also suffer from a clear lack of creativity relative to eastern ones and have much more limited scopes and shit as far as I'm concerned hence I get bored as fk when trying to read them). 

The characters generally have inherent behavioural tendencies and beliefs such as such as "do not kill", "do not steal", "treat others as you would like them to treat you", "we are all equal", "everybody is nice and friendly", "everybody agrees and everybody follows the 'rules'" and blah blah blah that is common thoughts of a brainwashed democracy slave.

CN novels are more "every man for himself", "how dare you hurt my family i kill u", "might equals right and it's my rules since i'm strong", "just wait a little while i prepare a savory revenge", "haha this nub doesn't know how stupid he is being acting so arrogent when I'm so much stronger than him, perfect chance to ruin his le face".

I mean, imagine reading something similar to Yun Che's conning the Xaoi or whatever branch clan by acting as a legendary foreign medical saint or whatever and eventually stealing everything in their treasury and also ruining the future of the clan leaders son or whatever, and eventually killing him after torturing him in a JP/KR/Western novel.

You can't can you? Because, that sort of thing is difficult to comprehend by those in those regions as they've been too domesticated.

Even Weed from LMS for example, is meant to be super cut throat, but he would never do even half of the crazy shit MCs from CN novels do, because he's been domesticated by that sort of boring ass delusional belief system.

So CN novels are fun to read just cus of that from the get go; the human relations and interactions between characters is basically a lot more diverse and chaotic compared to those found in novels from other regions and genres, which keeps it entertaining.

I also agree with the whole,

>ambitious with ruthless tenacious to achieve their goals or desires. This is stronger than in any other type of series.

Since not everybody is inherent nice in CN novels, it rewards those that are more competitive, ambitious and crafty. In other regions, being "crafty" would probably be seen as a bad thing, but in these settings it's a great characteristic to have. Crafty, ruthless, ambitious leads are gr8 basically; million times better than zzzz average democracy slave never do wrong MCs.

Xianxia novels in general are fun to read also, because of the usual start as trash -> become a God feature. It's rarely obvious how the MC will do that, especially as he's usually the lowest of the low, so it's a mystery every step of the way.

There's always someone stronger also, there's a higher plane or whatever, so the MC is always pressured. And when written well, how the MC progresses is non-obvious and entertaining to read.

The world building and mechanics involved are usually reasonably interesting also. Like CDs law shit, and LLS summoning system.

How a character gets strong involves a lot more than a lot of stories and shit you find in other genres since cultivating methods in stories are diverse as fk.

The worlds and settings and shit in general are also pretty interesting in the first place.
    Have you really read the Western and Japanese novels? There are so manyprotagonists who have behaWestern and Japanese novelsvioural tendencies and beliefs such as such as“killing”, "stealing" and "do not trust anyone". Such as Cthulhu mythos, Song of the ice and fire, overlord, Fate/Zero and SaYa No Uta.You think your country is democracies and being domesticated like animals by western notions as Western novels just because you are a ignorant fool who rarely read Western and Japanese novels? You think western novels also suffer from a clear lack of creativity relative to eastern ones and have much more limited just because you are a ignorant fool who just read a few Western and Japanese novels?You think other guys are brainwashed democracy slaves just because you are a ignorant asshole who haven't read nice Western and Japanese novels?