Novel Situation: What's your spirit Weapon?

Comments

• pandaBee said:

EliteHaz said:

pandaBee said:

Well if you're working on the premise that a soul weapon doesn't match up with the common sense of reality (i.e. swords are more useful in battle than rubber duckies), then I guess you could create a universe or a world where you can slap people with meatballs and crush them with vaseline oil or instead of shooting people with gums you do it with party streamers, but such a world would be rather comedic, no? And that is why I laugh at people who wank over scythes, because it is almost as comedic and nonsensical to me to use such a thing in battle as it is to use the other things I just mentioned.

@EliteHaz Id be okay with having a shield, but since we were talking about weapons my favorite has always been the heavy sword.
    That's not the point of the matter......... I'm saying why choose a heavy sword when you could have a shield and normal sword. If it's cos we're talking bout favourites then mine is the scythe. You say that a scythe is a horrible weapon, but now so is a heavy sword. Contradiction much?
    Heavy sword > Scythe 
    Checkmate, atheists.

Also, I love how you're just ignoring everything I say to wank over a scythe. Geez man.

Why do people use swords over daggers? A dagger is basically just a small, short sword isn't it? So why not just use a dagger, huh? If you can answer that question you will realize why it's not a crazy choice to use a heavy sword under the assumption that we have cultivation bases (essentially superhuman).
    Oh my frick dude. You're not even making sense much any more. A dagger would be used for assassinations, I mean it's easily concealable right? However a sword has more reach, and so has more uses in warfare. They are weapons decided for two different jobs.

Scythe and Heavy Sword are different things. Also like I said why go for a Heavy Sword when a shield and sword is a lot easier to learn. I love how you're not answering that question, is it too difficult? 

I do agree that maybe scythes are difficult and bad weapons. However that's irl, this is god damn fantasy. If we went by your logic then learning heavy swords is bad because:
    Difficult to learn.
    Extremely heavy.
    Swinging speed is slow.
    Movement speed is slow.
    Not concealable/have to hold it at all times. (not neccessarily bad, but carrying it around all the time can cause self injury) 

If we have cultivation bases then we could do a lot of crap with Scythes, nuff said.

Checkmate, ggnorekt.
  • Yes a sword gives you more reach and force than a dagger. Guess what a heavy sword gives you? More reach and power than a sword. Doesn't make sense? 
    Obviously my soul weapon wouldn't be a heavy sword that's too heavy for me to lift. I should be able to wield it as easily as a normal sword, none of this discussion would make sense without the enhanced strength

Difficult to learn? So are a lot of things.
    Extremely heavy? Super. Strength.
    Swinging speed is slow? Swords swing slower than daggers, why do people use swords?
    Extremely heavy? Not for me. See Super. Strength.
    Movement speed is slow? See above.
    Not concealable? Aren't these soul weapons? Don't they reside in the soul? I shouldn't have to lug it around everywhere, I should be able to withdraw it back into my body whenever i please.

Learn to read and think before you open your mouth next time, Haz-kun.
  • A scythe has a greater advantage in battle. First of all, if you use a scythe, the point is to be faster and more skilled than your opponent. Also, even if you miss, you could defend yourself by learning staff techniques.

Besides, if it's a soul weapon, you have to focus on spirit abilities. Just focusing on power is being an idiot.

Also, the situation only states that we get a spirit weapon, not super strength. So you would be an idiot trying to lug around a sword that's so damn heavy that it could break your hands. Don't be too greedy.

Pls shut up as well. Why do you have to pick a damn fight when this is supposed to be fun?
  • You guys are the ones getting buttblasted, not me. 

Do you know what a conditional statement is? I've already said a million times

Assuming cultivation bases, I would choose a heavy sword.

If we're just normal human beings I wouldn't necessarily pick a heavy sword( in fact I wouldn't, for obvious reasons)

Does this make sense to you or are you unable to read and think as well?
  • pandaBee said:

Yes a sword gives you more reach and force than a dagger. Guess what a heavy sword gives you? More reach and power than a sword. Doesn't make sense? 

Obviously my soul weapon wouldn't be a heavy sword that's too heavy for me to lift. I should be able to wield it as easily as a normal sword, none of this discussion would make sense without the enhanced strength

Difficult to learn? So are a lot of things.
    Extremely heavy? Super. Strength.
    Swinging speed is slow? Swords swing slower than daggers, why do people use swords?
    Extremely heavy? Not for me. See Super. Strength.
    Movement speed is slow? See above.
    Not concealable? Aren't these soul weapons? Don't they reside in the soul? I shouldn't have to lug it around everywhere, I should be able to withdraw it back into my body whenever i please.

Learn to read and think before you open your mouth next time, Haz-kun.
    Ok I don't even care at this point, I could retaliate. But it seems you don't understand one thing. This is fantasy.
  • pandaBee said:

You guys are the ones getting buttblasted, not me. 

Do you know what a conditional statement is? I've already said a million times

Assuming cultivation bases, I would choose a heavy sword.

If we're just normal human beings I wouldn't necessarily pick a heavy sword( in fact I wouldn't, for obvious reasons)

Does this make sense to you or are you unable to read and think as well?
    Also I don't think you realise that you were the one who said that you don't know why people pick scythes. It's just opinions lol
  • edited November 2015
    Wow people are getting quite personal here... Come on guys, this is just a simulation scenario, no need to get so worked up.

Oh since I'm hear, I thought I might as well just add in my 2 cents.

Heavy Sword > Scythe imo, cause frankly, it would be more versatile in its attacks. And if you have the strength to use a heavy sword like a light sword (as in ATG), then heavy sword should be used hands down. Basic physics here. The greater the weight, the greater the momentum and therefore, greater the damage. I believe this was partially explained in Coiling Dragon in the first few books (bloodviolet vs adamantium heavy sword). Okay in that case he couldn't swing the ADH as fast as bloodviolet because he wasn't strong enough, but if he could, then it would be a superior weapon.

But a scythe would also be interesting if that chain can used as part of an attack, to say extend the range and use it as a pseudoprojectile. But again, I believe the sycthe can only win against a heavy sword (if user has similar skill levels) because of its novelty and newness. If it's the second or third engagement, then the heavy sword will probably have the advantage.

To the guy above, while it is true that any weapon can over power another weapon if the right skills are used, this logic is disingenuous in the sense of this argument, because if this logic is used, this entire discussion is useless and you might as well just talk about the user. Don't they say a master can use any weapon effectively?
  • Wow people are getting quite personal here... Come on guys, this is just a simulation scenario, no need to get so worked up.

Heavy Sword > Scythe imo, cause frankly, it would be more versatile in its attacks. And if you have the strength to use a heavy sword like a light sword (as in ATG), then heavy sword should be used hands down. Basic physics here. The greater the weight, the greater the momentum and therefore, greater the damage. I believe this was partially explained in Coiling Dragon in the first few books (bloodviolet vs adamantium heavy sword). Okay in that case he couldn't swing the ADH as fast as bloodviolet because he wasn't strong enough, but if he could, then it would be a superior weapon.

But a scythe would also be interesting if that chain can used as part of an attack, to say extend the range and use it as a pseudoprojectile. But again, I believe the sycthe can only win against a heavy sword (if user has similar skill levels) because of its novelty and newness. If it's the second or third engagement, then the heavy sword will probably have the advantage.

To the guy above, while it is true that any weapon can over power another weapon if the right skills are used, this logic is disingenuous in the sense of this argument, because if this logic is used, this entire discussion is useless and you might as well just talk about the user. Don't they say a master can use any weapon effectively?

I have to disagree. The heavy sword you're talking about is something with buffs from fantasy (not coutning the soul aspect of it). While you've just kept a scythe the same. The haevy sword you're talking about is something you can lift, something you can move around in while battling and something you can swing easily. That's 3 buffs you've given a heavy sword, while nothing for a scythe. This makes this an unfair comparison.
  • To
    EliteHaz said:

Wow people are getting quite personal here... Come on guys, this is just a simulation scenario, no need to get so worked up.

I have to disagree. The heavy sword you're talking about is something with buffs from fantasy (not coutning the soul aspect of it). While you've just kept a scythe the same. The haevy sword you're talking about is something you can lift, something you can move around in while battling and something you can swing easily. That's 3 buffs you've given a heavy sword, while nothing for a scythe. This makes this an unfair comparison.

Doesn't the scythe have the same kind of buffs? I mean I'm comparing the scythe that someone posted a picture of above. I won't believe that thing isn't heavy as fuck. Scythes should be huge anyway, never minding the hammer+chain.

Also being able to use the heavy sword as a normal sword, I would count as a single buff, and even then I believe it barely counts as one, since it's more about the user then the sword itself. If two user with same skills use it but the second one doesn't have the arm strength to use it, then the second would be severely disadvantaged
  • To

EliteHaz said:

Doesn't the scythe have the same kind of buffs? I mean I'm comparing the scythe that someone posted a picture of above. I won't believe that thing isn't heavy as fuck. Scythes should be huge anyway, never minding the hammer+chain.

Also being able to use the heavy sword as a normal sword, I would count as a single buff, and even then I believe it barely counts as one, since it's more about the user then the sword itself. If two user with same skills use it but the second one doesn't have the arm strength to use it, then the second would be severely disadvantaged
    I'm not counting the heavy hammer/scythe thing. Plus I've also thought of the scythe as a nimble weapon. This means that counting if it was heavy then even then that's 1 and I don't count that with either any more. When you're talking about using the heavy sword like a normal one then there are a few aspects to that and you have to count it.
    1. Being able to move swiftly while holding it.
    2. Being able to swing it quickly.
    3. Being able to use it nimbly. (2 different things. Using it nimbly is being able to swing it and pull it back quickly and stuff like that. While swing it quickly is when you swing quickly.)
    And then i remember a few others were mentioned in ATG. 

Like I said with scythe you've given it 1 at most but then if you count that then it's counted onto the heavy sword.
  • EliteHaz said:

To

EliteHaz said:

I'm not counting the heavy hammer/scythe thing. Plus I've also thought of the scythe as a nimble weapon. This means that counting if it was heavy then even then that's 1 and I don't count that with either any more. When you're talking about using the heavy sword like a normal one then there are a few aspects to that and you have to count it.
    3. Being able to use it nimbly. (2 different things. Using it nimbly is being able to swing it and pull it back quickly and stuff like that. While swing it quickly is when you swing quickly.)

Like I said with scythe you've given it 1 at most but then if you count that then it's counted onto the heavy sword.

I don't think I can ever agree with your argument or completely understand it haha...

3 I can concede partially because it depends on the user and air resistance of the weapon, but the other two are wholly dependant on the user
  • EliteHaz said:

To

EliteHaz said:

I don't think I can ever agree with your argument or completely understand it haha...

3 I can concede partially because it depends on the user and air resistance of the weapon, but the other two are wholly dependant on the user
    Hmm I guess it's confusing. 1 is basically not letting the sword hinder you at all while moving, this can be in terms of speed or just generally it's an obstacle cos you have to dodge it while moving. 2. Is when you are swinging it, how quickly it takes to hit the opponent. I'd imagine it's slower then a normal sword.
  • EliteHaz said:

EliteHaz said:

To

EliteHaz said:

Hmm I guess it's confusing. 1 is basically not letting the sword hinder you at all while moving, this can be in terms of speed or just generally it's an obstacle cos you have to dodge it while moving. 2. Is when you are swinging it, how quickly it takes to hit the opponent. I'd imagine it's slower then a normal sword.

Okay I understand now what you mean by those two, but I don't understand how these are buffs to the weapon and not the user?
  • EliteHaz said:

EliteHaz said:

To

EliteHaz said:

Okay I understand now what you mean by those two, but I don't understand how these are buffs to the weapon and not the user?
    I didn't put what I meant correctly. I mean you gave several buffs to the character that's holding the heavy sword but nothing to the person wielding the scythe.
  • EliteHaz said:

EliteHaz said:

EliteHaz said:

To

EliteHaz said:

I didn't put what I meant correctly. I mean you gave several buffs to the character that's holding the heavy sword but nothing to the person wielding the scythe.

When did I say that? I never said the scythe wielder wouldn't have the same buffs...
  • Uhh this is getting confusing.... xD. Plus this isn't relevant to the topic so lets stop.
  • EliteHaz said:

Uhh this is getting confusing.... xD. Plus this isn't relevant to the topic so lets stop.

But I liked derailing the thread :P
  • EliteHaz said:

Uhh this is getting confusing.... xD. Plus this isn't relevant to the topic so lets stop.

Haha, terrible so very terrible, yet I laughed. There's a new one for you. ;)
  • EliteHaz said:

Lol, I don't actually mind. But I've derailed like a gazillion topics (more like 3) and I feel kinda bad xD.
  • EliteHaz said:

EliteHaz said:

Lol, I don't actually mind. But I've derailed like a gazillion topics (more like 3) and I feel kinda bad xD.
    ... but it was interesting, it made me rethink the practicality of using a battle fan. Yep, I one of summoned people who died in death march. Rest in Peace my other self.
  • Tasear said:

EliteHaz said:

EliteHaz said:

... but it was interesting, it made me rethink the practicality of using a battle fan. Yep, I one of summoned people who died in death march. Rest in Peace my other self.
    Yeah, it gave me ideas on how to use a scythe. Like in an actual story. It also made me rethink on the practicality of a heavy sword.
  • Just realize so many people have fantasies about scythes...i just think they become slightly cumbersome to use due to a strange balance. What if it suddenly decide to flip when u swing it? It must be heavy as hell to maintain a smooth swing....

Then again my ideal spirit weapon would be a pole-axe or any long reached weapon capably of slashing/smashing. Preferably using momentum as a source of strength instead of weight...
  • imageBut Bigger!!

• edited December 2015
    If you swing a scythe, you'll only hit them with the pole. In order to cut into people, you have to swing and pull at the same time, this requires a very wide sweeping motion that leaves you wide open to counterattacks. Not to mention that the path of the scythe becomes incredibly easy to predict since it requires a big set up, and is a large weapon in and of itself - there's only one direction for them to move the scythe after having set it up for the slash. Another weakness is that the scythe has limited options for attack. Assuming you're facing your opponent one on one, you'll only be able to slash his back. If you try to attack his sides your force will lesson considerably. 

Scythes attack in a fixed arc, So really the only thing you need to watch out for is how high the blade is, after that all you do is either block in the direction of the arc, in which case you have the physical advantage according to leverage and positioning, or you can dive into their body and attack them from close up.

• Lol are we starting the scythe argument again
  • Soul weapon huh? I'll probably choose.... GODDESS... Eh? I mean like how Gintama used the "Elder", "King", and "Demon Lord" as weapons, I'll use the Goddess. Then fufu... I'll have my favorite skill: DEUS EX MACHINA...

Jokes aside, I'll use a soul weapon of a pocket watch.

Awww~! I can't believe I missed such a fun DISCUSSION! As much as I LOVE scythes, they're too impractical and hard to master. Even if you master it, it doesn't technically mean you can overwhelm those who use other weapons.

I'm in for reviving the Scythe Argument~! ^_^
  • edited December 2015
    I like dirks.
  • Personally I'd like tonfas, (like Hibari's). I actually own some and it is fun to handle them.
  • edited December 2015
    It doesn't matter how practical scythes would be irl....... How many times do I have to repeat myself, this is fantasy lol. If this wasn't, heavy swords are highly impractical as well, but they are still used. I'm down for an argument as well, but this is fantasy and crazy crap can happen.
  • I have no problem with scythes, but I am curious why everyones limiting themselves to melee type weapons.  I would choose dual pistols or a minigun!