Recommendations of what to read/Discussing current novels

edited September 2015 in General Novel Discussions
Hi there, currently enjoying CD, ST, MGA, ATG, Xian Ni(also couple of other genre but thats not about it).

And looking for more awesome things to read, preferable for it to have some chapters to read right away.

I currently have few things that maybe I'll be reading soon: Swallowed Star, Close Combat Mage, Desolate Era.

Now to clarify: I really love to see constant trainings / breakthroughs / 'evolving' this and that / some action / other epic things / 
                      I don't like: crybaby characters like standard Jp manga MCs nowadays.

P.S.: also I've read through manhua adaptation of BTTH - it was 'readable', greatly enjoyed manhua Shen Yin Wang Zuo, also enjoyed Doulou Dalu.
Tried to read Juvenile Medical God, but couldn't endure it >_>

Comments

• Little off-topic: advice something close to Shen Yin Wan Zuo (similiar genre / design)
  • you want long one. "a martial odyssey" long i know a few love it. bit in depth for me. i come back to it but still muddleing thru it. 
  • i think you have list all the long xianxia that has been translated so far..

Maybe Zhu Xian but with multiple translator taking over, the terms got confusing from what i have read (haven't started myself due to this reason).
  • edited July 2015
    yes read shen yin wan zuo its awesome.
    desolate era is good too.

konjiki no wordmaster is a JP novel but its good. it doesnt have the character doing breakthrough and stuff but he is op from the start.
    hes definitely not a crybaby either, u cant even imagine the guy crying. hes not kind but not cruel either. 
    he cares for himself mostly but not the type to hurt others for his own benefit in other words, not an asshole.

u can check out the ATG translator page and read the slime manga/novel. although its short it has some interesting potential. 

you pretty much covered all the ones i found so far.
    i didnt even know about close combat mage so i checked it out just now and the summary got me hooked.
    BTTH was great but the novel too slow so i stuck with the manga 
    i didnt like doulu dalu...

• The manhua for Shen Ying Wang Zuo is pretty good, except for the fact that each chapter is not at full length. Also, the fights are too short, even though some of those fights lasted more than 3 chapters in the WN.
  • The manhua for Shen Ying Wang Zuo is pretty good, except for the fact that each chapter is not at full length. Also, the fights are too short, even though some of those fights lasted more than 3 chapters in the WN.

Found it on http://totobro.com/ (132 chapters currently) maybe will read it later
  • Ravelord said:

The manhua for Shen Ying Wang Zuo is pretty good, except for the fact that each chapter is not at full length. Also, the fights are too short, even though some of those fights lasted more than 3 chapters in the WN.

Found it on http://totobro.com/ (132 chapters currently) maybe will read it later
    Yep, the WN is a bit better, since it's more detailed and the translation is slightly ahead, but at least the plot in the Manhua doesn't veer off as much as the others.
  • Ravelord said:

The manhua for Shen Ying Wang Zuo is pretty good, except for the fact that each chapter is not at full length. Also, the fights are too short, even though some of those fights lasted more than 3 chapters in the WN.

Yep, the WN is a bit better, since it's more detailed and the translation is slightly ahead, but at least the plot in the Manhua doesn't veer off as much as the others.
    What i like about this manhua is art style ^_^ soooo bright *v*
  • edited July 2015
    you can try Chaotic sword god (gravity translations are working on it). Jien Chen fights Dugu Quibai (yeah you are thinking about the right one), while dying ends up killing Dugu and then reborn in different world of cultivators.
    Sounds like douluo dalu overall good story.

if you want to see a brat who's more mouthy than chu feng than try 绝世武神 (Peerless Martial God) by Jing Wu Hen. Lin feng dies from our level of civilization n wakes up in cultivators world. this guy used more dialogue to kill his opponent than fists... but its still interesting.

Close combat mage - the only thing interesting in first 200 chap was 11 yr old MC getting sex education from the queen of his country. A more thorough education than you'll find anywhere even on internet. rest of the earlier chapter sounds more like marketing education mixed with pop psychology.
    Oh let's not forget those fire-wind warriors... with the things were going, I am expecting all of 36 fire wind warriors to be in his harem... and he's only 12... Good Job for 12 yr old. I stopped reading there...
  • Well...they aren't xianxia..But are really Damn good.

Zombie knight and Mushoku Tensei (completed, and long story)

I recommend reading either one of these. Even if it isn't xianxia.
  • Thanks for suggestions, I'll be sure to check them sooner or later ^v^
  • Also I tried to read Kuang Shen(Mad God / Fury), but didnt even last through 1 chapter(both novel and manhua), am I the only one who think that the plot is too simple?
    Simple in the way it started ...
  • About 'Peerless Martial God', is the only translation (https://alicetranslations.wordpress.com/)? Or is there another source?
  • edited July 2015
    BTTH and Shen Yin Wang Zuo have got good manwha adaptations.
     But duolou dalu doesn't have accurate manwha adaptation. Lot of stuffs have been skipped and the story has also been changed in some stuffs like the "evil fire" of fatty is instead "increased appetite" in manwha.

@Ravelord Juvenille Medical god is pretty good :) There is also terror infinity, it is a horror based survival genre, you get points and you can use that points to evolve/ buy stuffs. Similar to "Gantz" (japanese manga)
  • Well...they aren't xianxia..But are really Damn good.

Tried Zombie Knight, but couldnt bring myself to enjoy, although it looks great, it just doesnt suit my taste ^.^
  • Ravelord said:

Also I tried to read Kuang Shen(Mad God / Fury), but didnt even last through 1 chapter(both novel and manhua), am I the only one who think that the plot is too simple?

Kuang Shen is actually really good once you get past the first couple chapters.
    They are basicly "plot" chapters that give some insight in the live of the MC and what has happend to him.

Current chapters out is him making Lucifer's children believe he is one of their brothers because of his F.A transformation.

• Leylin said:

Ravelord said:

Also I tried to read Kuang Shen(Mad God / Fury), but didnt even last through 1 chapter(both novel and manhua), am I the only one who think that the plot is too simple?

Kuang Shen is actually really good once you get past the first couple chapters.
    They are basicly "plot" chapters that give some insight in the live of the MC and what has happend to him.

Current chapters out is him making Lucifer's children believe he is one of their brothers because of his F.A transformation.

I thought the plot is ok, but characters are too sketchy and I just didn't feel anything about them. Dropped it. Ravelord, your experience may differ of course
  • Too bad that Slaughter God was dropped on pegasus it really had a lot of potential 
  • "Child of Light" and "Magic Chef of Ice and Fire" over on Radiant Translations are good. CL has a few up and is their main project whereas MCIF has just started and is a side project.
  • Bookmarked Child of Light, currently reading Desolate Era =3
  • Almost dropped Child of Light because of MCs stupidity -_-
  • Ravelord said:

Almost dropped Child of Light because of MCs stupidity -_-

Readed to the 'ongoing', looks good, but bit 'dull' imo.
    I guess Chaotic Sword God is next, though not sure, tired of 'reborning' theme
  • Ravelord said:

Well...they aren't xianxia..But are really Damn good.

Tried Zombie Knight, but couldnt bring myself to enjoy, although it looks great, it just doesnt suit my taste ^.^

Ahh...I understand it ain't your cup of tea. Well I'm glad I at least recommended something at least ;p I ain't about to persuade you to dream more chapters if ya don't wanna. Good luck finding a story! :D
  • Thanks =3
    Still reading CSG, looks great
  • Ended with CSG (69 ch.) that was great, but it lacks technical side greatly, he's been in the best academy, and there wasnt even a single technique ...
    All they were doing there is cultivating till GS level and attending some practically useless lecture...
    That was the only sad thing for me xD

Next one is 'Zhan Long' I suppose, I quite in love with VRMMO from Legendary Moonlight Sculptor =3
  • edited July 2015
    If you don't mind machine trans then Emperor Xuan Tian is good.

Tales of Demons and Gods is another good one.

Then of course theirs Swallowed Star, Desolate Era, Douluo Dalu, and Shen Yin Wang Zuo
  • Currently reading Zhan Long, gosh, that MC gives me alot of headache.
  • Just My Top list for suggestions : 
    BTTH (Battle through the heavens) GravityTales,you can read in wuxiaworld 
    Swallowed Star Translated by Translation Nations
    Kuang Shen (Mad God)  TL by Dark Translations 
    Ze tian jie ( way of choice) TL by Binggo&Corp 
    Shura wrath  TL by Sylver Translations 
    Desolete Era TL by Worldofwatermelons 
    Law of Devil  Tl by Wuxiatransalations 
    Chaotic Sword gods TL by GravityTales 
  • edited August 2015
    Kiba said:

If you don't mind machine trans then Emperor Xuan Tian is good.

Tales of Demons and Gods is another good one.

Then of course theirs Swallowed Star, Desolate Era, Douluo Dalu, and Shen Yin Wang Zuo

I just started reading Tales of Demons and Gods and I wanted to thank you for your recommendation although it's a shame that there are only 20 chapters out at the moment :D
  • Not sure what you define by long, but my current favourite for the VR type LN is Quan zhi gao shou (currently translated to chapter 43 / 1700+ at gravitytales)