Baby Deathblade memes, Yin Yang China, News and Misc. by Deathblade!

Comments

• Thanks for compiling these! This is so convenient as I tend to binge read so couldn't read them all the time. Thanks again :)
  • You are welcome and I'm happy to help.
  • Announcement by Deathblade

Soon “planes, trains and automobiles” begins. Well, minus the planes. After work I will take a train to Beijing. I’ll stay in a hotel and then handle embassy affairs first thing in the morning. Then I’ll take a train back to resume my normal work weekend. As for the next chapter, it might come super early (if I can secretly posted it from work) or super late (after I get to the hotel in Beijing). For all F5 Sect members, I’ll give updates on twitter about when I will release the chapter. Depending on how much translating I can accomplish in my various taxi and train rides, this week may have a total of 12, 13, or 14 chapters. We’ll have to wait and see…
  • edited January 2016

☯ ISSTH Chapter 386, 387 ☯

I was able accomplish a lot on the two train rides! I hope this double chapter release to makes up for the lack of a chapter earlier! There is something pretty awesome in 387 that the chapter title totally spoils, so I’m putting it at the bottom of the chapter. Also, it’s my pleasure to sponsor this super awesome chapter. My long work weekend was preceded by the whole Beijing trip, so the next couple days will be tiring. I prepared these chapters for release over various trips and breaks at work, and even after arriving home, so I apologize if there are more mistakes than usual:

☯ ISSTH Chapter 388 ☯

Extremely tired and have a long day ahead. P.S. I got a lot of messages about typos in the last two chapters, I’ll fix them as quickly as possible. Please enjoy:
  • Outtakes of Deathblade
    These are all real typos, most of which were caught before the release (but not all)
    With that, the parrot flapped its wings, flying up. > With that, the feather flapped its wings, flying up. (makes me think of the fan Meng Hao used for a while)

Meng Hao took a deep breath as he bowed deeply to Hanxue Bao. His entire purpose for coming to this place was now complete. > Meng Hao took a deep breath as he bowed deeply to Hanxue Bao. His entire purpose for coming to this place was not complete. (uh, slight difference there….)

Meng Hao’s eyes were bloodshot as he continued to feed one leaf after another to the Frigid Snow Larva > Meng Hao’s eyes were bloodshot as he continued to feed one leaf after mother to the Frigid Snow Larva (fed his own mother to it????)

However, the more than two hundred Cultivators couldn’t help but gasp. > However, the more than two hundred Cultvitaors couldn’t help but gasp. (try saying that 5 times fast)

However, if an early Nascent Soul stage Cultivator wanted to kill me, it wouldn’t be an easy task. > However, if an early Nascent Soul stage Cultivator wanted to kill me, it would be an easy task. (again, another slight difference)

“I choose the Crow Soldier Tribe,” said Wang. > “I choose the Crow Solider Tribe,” said Wang. (Solid, mah brother, solid)

As soon as the words left his mouth, sneers appeared in the eyes of the other. > As soon as the words left his moth, sneers appeared in the eyes of the other. (moths have mouths?)

In its heart, the entire world is nothing more than a blink during one of the countless times that it awakens and opens its eyes. > In its heart, the entire world is nothing more than a bink during one of the countless times that it awakens and opens its eyes. (Jar-jar would roll in his
    grave if he knew)
  • edited January 2016

Announcement by Deathblade
    As many of you know, Er Gen has two major other works. One is Xian Ni, which has been in translation for quite some time. The other is Beseech the Devil, which was started and then dropped after only a few chapters. However, a new translator has picked up the series and is releasing two chapters per week. I’ve been doing a teeny bit of consulting on a few translation terms, and while I haven’t read the entire thing, I have glanced over the current chapters (10 have been released so far), and the quality seems good. Feel free to check it out. If you like the translation, please leave a comment for the translator, or even consider sponsoring a chapter!
  • edited January 2016

Chronicles of BabyDeathblade

Here’s the little man with one of his favorite toys:

BD

• edited January 2016

True fact about China: 90% of important things happen on short notice. I was just informed that I have to get my yearly physical at the government facility THIS WEEK, or else it might affect my residence permit in China. Great. That means that there might only be 1 and potentially 0 chapters tomorrow. Most likely the next update will come in about 24 hours. Stay tuned…
  • edited January 2016

Some of you might be wondering what the “incantation gestures” look like. I’m sure your imagination has come up with some good visualizations. However, I decided to do a little baidu searching for some images relating to Daoist incantation gestures. Here are a few of the images that came up:

incant incant

incant incant

• Chronicles of BabyDeathblade

Meanwhile, as BD continues in his cultivation, his ability continues to increase by leaps and bounds. Here’s some evidence:

BD

• edited January 2016
    400 chapters?!?! Has it really been that many? I’m sorry I don’t have anything special prepared for this release, I’ve just been too busy and tired. However, this time around, there is only one group of people I would like to thank. That is all you ISSTH fans out there. Thank you for your support, and please continue to enjoy the story!
    The Difficulties of Translating ISSTH

This is one of those chapters that I spend WAY longer than normal on. Furthermore, something that happened during the course of preparing the chapter illustrates why ISSTH is so difficult to translate (at least for me). At one point in the process, I e-mailed anonpuffs with a question about the meaning of one of the more vague passages. He responded saying that in his opinion there were two possible meanings. Literally the next day, he e-mailed again and said (paraphrasing): “Well I just read something in chapter 1,400-or-so that puts the second option off the table.” That’s right, something in today’s chapter was made clear nearly 1,000 chapters later.

As I’ve mentioned, I’m reading ahead in the novel, but haven’t gotten that far! Without the help of kind souls like John Rogers and anonpuffs, I would really be up a creek without a paddle. Well, I spent many, many hours on this chapter, which I’m excited to release. Please enjoy:
  • Omake by Deathblade
    Wu Ling sat there, looking at herself in the mirror. “Aiya, how do I make my eyes more phoenix-like?” she thought, staring at the Nanshan Fashion Magazine clipping pasted to the wall next to her mirror. “Chu Yuyan from the Southern Domain is just so beautiful! If Grandmaster Meng met her, he would definitely fall in love at first sight! I need to imitate her!” With that, she pulled out her makeup kit and began to apply makeup….

I recently encountered a couple of kids in the elevator. All of the dialogue was in Chinese, except the italicized part which was in English:

Kid #1: Whoah, a Foreigner!
    Me: What, first time seeing a Foreigner?
    Kid #1: No…. Oh, you can speak Chinese?
    Me: Nope.
    Kid #1: What? Then what are you speaking right now?
    Me: (staring at him coolly for a moment) Can you speak English?
    Kid #1: A little bit. Where are you from. Australia? That’s America, right?
    Kid #2: No, that means Australia, you dork!
    Kid #1: Oh, America, America!

Yes, I’ve studied Chinese for 6 years to participate in scintillating conversations like this…
  • edited January 2016
    Chronicles of BabyDeathblade
    Chronicles of Baby Deathblade – The young Patriarch is doing awesome. He’s getting super chubby and is as active as always. He’s making a lot of noises now, some of which even sound like actual words (I know they’re not but hey, they sound legit…). As a special treat, there is a video after the jump in which you can hear him say “Hey…. Mom!” LOL.
    Video title babby deathblade speaks
  • edited January 2016
    Omake by Deathblade
    Several days before chapter 410….

The parrot settled down on a tree branch in the forest near the Crow Scout Tribe. Bored, it decided to amuse itself with one of the magazines from its collection. “Hmmm… Pentmouse? No, it’s so fake. Playsquirrel? I usually just get that one to read the articles. Ahhh….” Suddenly its eyes glittered as it found exactly the magazine it was looking for. “Filthy Furries…. This is a classic!” Heart trembling, it pulled the magazine out of its eyepatch of holding and opened the cover….

After some tequila shots, Deathblade wrote what he thought was a super cool chapter release post. Later, he realized it was stupid. By then, it was too late to come up with some new material. With a heavy heart, he deleted the old post and resigned himself to providing a sub-standard release post.
    One difficult thing about ISSTH are the various prophecies, foreshadowing, etc. The other is the occasional complex language, often Classical Chinese. Many times, unless you understand what happens later in the story, it’s almost impossible to translate certain passages. To illustrate the point, I did an exercise in which I pretended Lord of the Rings was written in Chinese, and that I was translating the famous poem about the ring, except I had no knowledge about what happens in the story. See the result after the jump.

Here it is in all its beauty:

Three rings for the Fairy Emperor, beneath the Heavens
    Seven for the Dwarf Master, in his rock tunnels
    Nine for the frail human, cursed to pass away
    One ring to boss over them all, one ring to go looking for them
    One ring to invite them all to be together in the dark
    In the minds of most people in China, there are only four kinds of alcohol. If you translate it into English, it would be: Chinese liquor, beer, wine, Foreign Liquor. A more direct translation would be: White alcohol, beer alcohol, red alcohol, Foreign alcohol. Although, most translators translate the word for “alcohol” as “wine,” so using that method, it would be: White wine, beer wine, red wine, Foreign wine.
    First day of the work weekend is over. I returned from lunch earlier this afternoon to realize in horror that I hadn’t bought a cup of coffee like I usually do. I will not make the same mistake tomorrow!!!
    I was born and raised in San Diego, where it doesn’t snow. What I grew up thinking of as “cold,” is really nothing. Because of that I’m a bit at a loss when it comes to winter-related terminology. There are two words I know how to say in Chinese, but am not sure how to say in colloquial English. They are 秋裤 qiu ku and 棉裤 mian ku. “Qiu ku” literally means “autumn pants” and refers to long but relatively thin undergarments to wear when it’s cold. “Mian ku” literally means “cotton pants” and refers to thick/insulated undergarments for when it’s very cold. I know know the words “long underwear” and “thermal underwear,” but I’m not sure how people colloquially refer to these articles of clothing. Do you know?
  • edited January 2016

Have you considered learning Chinese?

As some of you might know, I’m not Chinese. I’m 100% American born and raised. I started studying Chinese around 2009, and am pretty much completely self-taught. I see questions on the forums every so often about learning Chinese. I’ve also had some personal messages sent my way. I decided to make a little FAQ based on my (ongoing) experience of learning Chinese. Please feel free to check out the article in the new “resources” section up above, or click here, and if you have further questions feel free to leave them in the comments!

-Deathblade

I’ve been meaning to mention this for a while, but kept forgetting. In the wuxiaworld forums is a short story I wrote a long time ago. It’s a stereotypical classic wuxia story called “Love, Sorrow and Chaos.” As you might be able to guess from the title, it’s not exactly a happy-go-lucky comedy. In terms of length, it’s about the same as 8 or 9 ISSTH chapters. Check it out if you want a glimpse into the mind of Deathblade even before he began to study Chinese.

• edited January 2016
    Chronicles of Baby Deathblade
    Of course BD has been focusing on cultivation. However, we can’t neglect his physical body, right? As such, he has been training in rigorous Kung Fu forms. A quick look at his progress can be seen after the jump.

kungfu!

Important translation adjustment: Luck Pond is now Pool of Destiny. Many thanks to a certain fan who suggested this. That fan didn’t request to be credited, but his name is very similar to Ben Boxing! Actually, “Ben Boxing” also coined the term Greatfather and Sacred Ancient, and probably some others that I’m forgetting now. In any case, the three mentioned here are much better than the ones I originally thought of. (clasps hands and bows)

If you have ever heard of the expression “doesn’t know whether to laugh or cry” then you have to see what’s after the jump!

Dashan, a.k.a. Mark Roswell, is pretty much the most famous foreigner in China, a comedian who performs both traditional Chinese crosstalk as well as standup. In this standup routine he explains the idiom “doesn’t know whether to laugh or cry.” Please note, in the video, the idiom is transliterated as “ku xiao bu de.”
    https://youtu.be/iailMSUVenA
  • Outtakes of Deathblade
    There haven’t been as many funny typos recently, but I’ve finally collected enough for another installment of ISSTH outtakes!

The Crow Soldier Tribe was a metal-type Tribe, so the vast majority of their neo-demons were also made from metal. > The Crow Soldier Tribe was a metal-type Tribe, so the fast majority of their neo-demons were also made from metal. (what about the slow minority…?)

“I want the totem branding method of the Crow Scout Tribe,” he said. > “I was the totem branding method of the Crow Scout Tribe,” he said. (as if Meng Hao’s past wasn’t mysterious enough as it is)

At the same time, the shocking changes to the surrounding land grew even more intense. > At the same time, the schooling changes to the surrounding land grew even more intense. (such a place of learning…)

At the same time, the surrounding Greenwood Wolves instantly fell upon the putrefying Zombie Wolves > At the same town, the surrounding Greenwood Wolves instantly fell upon the putrefying Zombie Wolves (I thought they were out in the woods…?)

Suddenly, Meng Hao could see that the threads attached to the earthworm up in the sky were suddenly beginning to collapse and be destroyed! > Suddenly, Meng Hao could see that the threads attached to the earthworm up in the sky were suddenly begging to collapse and be destroyed! (kill us please!!!)

Their hearts trembled as Meng Hao’s eyes suddenly opened. > Their hearts trembled as Meng Hao’s yes suddenly opened. (YES!!!)
    One of my favorite types of “Western food” here where I live in China is Burger King’s “Spicy Whopper.” In Chinese, “Spicy Whopper” is 天椒皇堡, which you could literally translate as “Heavenly Chilli Pepper Royal Burger.” But then I started to wonder, I’m American… does this even exist in America? I don’t remember there being a “Spicy Whopper” on the menu when I lived in America…? What about other countries?
  • edited February 2016
    Do you use Pinterest? I have a board devoted to xianxia, wuxia and martial arts related stuff. Please note, if you don’t have an account, you can’t see all the images. But if you are a Pinterest user, check this out. Some good fuel for the imagination when reading ISSTH and other xianxia stories.
  • Omake by Deathblade
    Meng Hao sat in his courtyard, watching the scene play out. “Hmmm,” he thought, “how should I make my entrance? What if I fly out while standing on one of my super badass neo-demons? Or wait. Perhaps I should start by chuckling, then make it louder and louder until my laughter rings out like thunder. Or is there a better option…?”