Demonslayer (最强妖孽) by Uncanny Night Visitor (厄夜怪客)

XTBXTB
edited November 7 in Translations

Demonslayer (最强妖孽) by Uncanny Night Visitor (厄夜怪客)

Author Summary: As others blindly search for the truth, remember every living thing is false. As others are restricted by morality and law, remember that all matters are permitted. We walk in darkness and serve in the light. I am Xu Yangyi, I am…… a Demonslayer.

Translator Summary: In his waking moments, he is the hunter, and as he returns to slumber, he becomes the hunted. Xu Yangyi is a morose youth, barely old enough to be called a man, with a dark, tumultuous past. In an age where the sciences and cultivation could be considered one in the same, yet still remain the highest of secrecies, he moves towards the apex, step by step. In a world of ever-advancing progress, the splendor caused by such advancement is hard to ignore on both sides of these different worlds—public and hidden. However, across the ages, mankind has always been plagued by it. They lurk in the shadows and make meals of humanity like fine dining. Across millennia, they have walked alongside mankind, always in conflict. But in the modern age, a new shining pact has emerged, but all that glitters is not gold. Beneath this gilding, rumbles a storm between both sides that has stirred for ages, threatening to consume the world—and Xu Yangyi caught in the middle of it.

“Technical” Summary: Demonslayer is a novel on Zongheng categorized as a “different city” novel. It combines elements of cultivation that you know from Xianxia with a modern twist that calls on many modern day utilities and cultural nods. While it may be categorized as a modern cultivation story, it combines elements of horror and supernatural. It is definitely unique.

Translator Remarks: Ayyy lmaoooo, found a new novel, guys. I really like this one (a lot more than what I had previously translated, FTA). It’s a lot different from what I think we’ve read, and I always wanted to read a modern cultivation story. Coupled with the fact it’s a newer novel in recent memory (started in 2016), I think it kinda reflects a more up-to-date reflection of Chinese novels in some respects. With over 1100 chapters, there’s an astronomically low chance of this getting dropped other than me going MIA or not having time to do this anymore.

The title of this novel is actually: 最强妖孽, which directly translates to “The Strongest Evildoer”, which quite frankly doesn’t sound that great. Breaking down the Chinese is easy. 最强 meaning “strongest” or “most powerful” and 妖孽 can be split into two different meanings 妖, which is the general catch all Chinese character to describe demons/tricky stuff, and 孽, which takes on a couple meanings, that being “son of a concubine, sin, evil, or catastrophe”. However, these two characters form a compound character 妖孽 that means evildoer or villain. Some titles I played around with were things like “Grand Villainy” and “Apex Predator”, but I feel these weren’t too great. I decided to take a word straight from the summary of the story because I feel it’s what a title should be—direct and straight to the point and gives readers a good idea of what they might be getting into.

Schedule: No set schedule. In comparison to my last novel, FTA, (where I was able to even pump out four chapters a day at one point LUL) Demonslayer is a lot harder in terms of language and references. Each chapter requires a decent amount of research depending on the terms used coupled with the fact that an average chapter is around 3000-3500 Chinese characters that go so far as to even 5kish~. I’ll aim for one chapter a day, but don’t be surprised if you go days without due to rigor of the text in relation to my experience lul.

Note: As my skills get better and better, I will do routine checks to make sure these beginning chapters are up to standard. Eventually, I’ll be posting to my wordpress, but I rather spend the time doing more  translating because doing all the uploading/formatting takes too long. Expect that later on. 

Comments

• Chapter 1: Disciplinary and Reconnaissance Group

Within a blood-soaked room, there was a child of slight build that appeared to be alone.

His expression as he kneeled on the floor was one of amazement, as he surveyed the room that he had once called his home in disbelief with wide eyes.

From the wreckage, the reeking smell of blood assailed his nostrils like it was the knell of a death god, urging him to turn around and leave without delay. For him to flee towards the door and never return. His legs trembled violently, however, he saw blood flowing out from his father and mother’s bedroom, a kind of abnormal blood of abnormal quantity, making him feel like it was sorcery. Sluggishly moving his legs, he walked away step by step like a robot.

His shoes were mired, glued by the many threads of dark-red blood pulling on them, producing a “Hsss, Hsss” sound. “Hsss…….” From the rusty bedroom door, soul-sucking wails rang out. Soon afterwards…...

The boy saw another set of eyes, to him, an eternal and unforgettable scenery. 

“Thump…….” The world turned black and white. These scene froze, crumbling like a withered leaf, following the wind and passing on.

The palm of his hand tensed, Xu Yangyi awoke from dream realm he had encountered countless of times. He subconsciously clenched his fist, only feeling his sweat-covered palm. 

“Haa……” He picked up the mug in front of him and rocked it: “It’s already been ten-somewhat years……”

He held the mug and calmly looked outside: “I always wish it to go back to being a dream……”

Pursing his lips for a sip, the tea was already ice-cold.

He was approximately twenty-one or twenty-two years of age. His brows were strong and course without any curve, appearing like two swords soaring upwards. His gaze was steady, and his eyes half-lidded. Not obese, but neither thin, he was nearly a meter and eighty-one centimeters in height. In the eyes of all who saw him, they could see faint bulging musculature beneath his police outfit.

In Sanshui City’s office of major cases for the Disciplinary and Reconnaissance Group, it was rather typical to be in uniform. Especially, since he was the current sitting group leader. It happened to be August, and the evening heat slaked the floor, causing steam to rise from underground. It wouldn’t be unwarranted to say that the office was a steamer basket.

The temperature was such that it was even more unbearable on the outside. Not a single person was still wearing the police uniform, and for the most part, were wearing short sleeves. He was the only one acting strictly according to the rules, so that even the button on his neck was fastened tightly. It was strange, though, there wasn’t even a single trace of sweat on his neck. And even more, he hadn’t even shouted it was hot by any means.

It was as if he didn’t have any feeling to coldness or heat.

The electric fan atop of head whirled and whirled, an ear-piercing sound offending his hearing. In his surroundings, in this moment, there were ten people near him wearing shirts, men and women using resource materials to fan themselves, seated in a circle together. Towards Xu Yangyi’s sight, there was disdain, there was envy, and there were all kinds of negative emotions. There was only a single expression not present that should’ve been in the face of their group leader.

Respect. 

Sanshui City wasn’t any sort of big city. Moreover, it wasn’t related in the slightest to Fuyu County, administered by the second of the bottom hundred poorest counties. It if were not the city’s grand Disciplinary and Reconnaissance Group, they wouldn’t even merely have several high-output electric fans put in place. With such a hot temperature like this, they had been forwarded a special, great case today afternoon. Yet as the time for the meeting drew near, and all of them had gathered to discuss the matter, they soon discovered their group leader was sleeping!

“Group Leader, have you awakened?” A man around forty years of age looked coldly at Xu Yangyi sigh, his nostrils not concealing his snort in the slightest: “We’ve been waiting for half an hour. Is Group Leader going to hand out a directive or not?”

“I’m awake.” Xu Yangyi turned his eyes, taking a pen in his hand and spinning it. He nodded towards the middle-aged man: “Vice Captain Chen, is something the matter?”

“Of course, something’s the matter! You aren’t listening!” A single sentence made Vice Captain Chen slam the top of the chair. The sound suddenly increased a few degrees in intensity and the folder of data in his hand was flung out, rustling.  “The major special murder case! The serial killings of twelve people! It’s already been transferred to the Disciplinary and Observation Group for a whole week! But we haven’t made a bit of progress! Captain Xu, we’re all like one family, so I won’t speak politely! How is this case to be handled? Who is going to handle it? How much strength do we need to handle it? We want a directive!”

He swiftly stood up and streaked the documents in the air so that they were rustling in disarray in front of everyone present, whose expressions were possibly either stupefied or grimly smiling, and saying loudly: “We, of the Disciplinary and Observation Group, have over ten people that are present! All of us are waiting upon you, Captain Xu, to hand out a directive! We’re going to inform the chief of this! We’ve been waiting on you for over half an hour, but you said fifteen minutes before! When this happened the first time, the killer carried out an unusual attack! And now, you’re actually asking what’s the matter!”

Xu Yangyi faintly swept his eyes over: “I remember I said it very clearly. This case, I shall personally accept myself.”

“Poh!” A glob of phlegm landed on the side of the trash bin. A man approaching forty years of age cleared his throat: “My apologies, I had suddenly had a bit of an itch in my throat.”

The smile on Xu Yangyi’s face never once vanished: “You have a complaint?”

“Oh no, oh no…… The new captain’s just taken up office, but in the two days he’s taken up post, this is his first directive. How could I dare be unsatisfied……” A sneer hung at the corner of the man’s mouth, hardly concealing his smile: “I only want Captain’s order……”

“Puh!” His tone of voice didn’t fall, and a pen nailed into the table beside him.

Penetrating through, the pen slightly trembled!

“The fuck!” Young police officer at the man’s side nearly hopped up in fright. Was this still a pen? Was this still a fucking pen? Wasn’t this truly a knife?

“It’s fake, right……” A police officer around thirty years old looked at the pen in a daze, feeling the wild palpitations of his heart.

The table wasn’t thick, and the wood was rather thin, but to hurl a pen into it, could this be achieved without formidable kung fu?

Was this still the most ordinary of fucking fountain pens!

He didn’t know how many experts could achieve such a feat, but in any case, in the entirety of the reconnaissance squad, not a single person could accomplish this!

Everyone’s eyelids jumped, looking at the pen blankly. They looked at Xu Yangyi in even more of a daze, who was sampling his cold tea in content. They suddenly felt the flesh of their entire bodies begin to ache unfathomably. 

“Fuckin’ A……” A young police officer swallowed the saliva in his mouth, whispering: “What strong qigong, huh. This is……”

“If I haven’t remembered incorrectly, you’re the Disciplinary and Observation Group’s third-in-command Old Zhu?” Xu Yangyi raised his eyes and said casually.

“Yes……” Xu Yangyi’s gaze appeared tranquil, yet Old Zhu felt like a blade would cut into his flesh several times in a flash. He calmed his mind and opened his mouth, yet he found his voice was somewhat unsteady.

“So it’s like that……” Xu Yangyi gently caressed the cover of his tea cup, asking indifferently: “Is your throat not well?” 

“No…… Not at all…… It’s not itchy……” Old Zhu clenched his teeth a few times, forcing a smile and sitting down.

Vice Captain Chen was rendered dumb for quite a while. It wasn’t known when, but the documents that were just rustling in his hand, fostering his might had already stopped rustling. The only thing that could be heard within the room was the whining of the electric fan. The calm was somewhat frightening.

“Captain Xu.” For a long time, he braced himself to speak and opened his mouth: “...... This case, it’s related to the benefits of our brothers.”

“Ding Dong” The lid of the teacup gently made a sound as Captain Chen was still saying something, yet he ultimately closed his mouth involuntarily.

“Are you pressuring me?” Xu Yangyi thumbed the remnant specks on his teacup with the palm of his hand. He used his right hand to prop his head and looked at everyone, raising his brows that were like sharpened swords: “Yeah?”

In the room warmed with the summer heat, the sudden coldness somewhat scared them.

“Just this once.” He tidied his police uniform and stood up, appearing as if the matter had never happened and pushed the door open and walked out.

“Hey…… Hey! Captain Xu! How should this case be handled! Are you going to give us an answer!”

“Wait.” His voice echoed out from within.

Within the room was an atmosphere of silence.

Everyone, you can see me, and I can see you. Who would’ve expected that this young, somewhat-excessive captain, who was transferred in and hadn’t displayed his might in the last two days, would erupt like whirlwind, making everyone not dare to speak further.

“Wait for fucking *&%^!” Vice Captain Chen slammed the table fiercely: “Speak plainly! The brothers are hoping for a big case to pop up! But, you want to fucking go accept it by yourself! Where are you going to place the brothers!”

His voice was furious, but it was oddly forced rather low. After all…… the fountain pen in the table was too striking.

“Vice Captain Chen, the hell you scared for! He said it! But, we can’t say it?!” Old Zhu stood up, as well: “Why! For the promotion to the group leader’s position, Vice Captain Chen was the most promising to take on the post. Why was a case-declining brat without a hair on his upper lip made the group leader!”

In this day and age, working hard isn’t as good as being born into status.” A woman around thirty-one to thirty-two years of age snorted coldly in disdain towards the shut door: “Didn’t I say it, what the hell does he even know besides boot-licking?”

“That’s it! What is he showing off in front of us for? Big fucking deal he’s got strong qigong! Does he dare to go the Public Safety martial arts competition? There are plenty of friggin’ amazing people there! He’s good as screwed!”

“Fuck, he’s just there for show in our deserted Sanshui City! Who does he think he is?”

“Hehe, maybe he got sent down and came to our ordinary neck of the woods to put on a show, that kid!”

Vice Captain Chen grit his teeth and drank some tea. The flavor of the tea was rather bitter, bitter that he wasn’t able to say a single thing.

“He puts on his police uniform every single day; who is he pretending for to see?” A woman provoked as if she was was swatting a mosquito in front of her, furrowing her brows: “He wants the leader to come for an inspection, heh, so that others will be used immediately as a measuring pole once more…… Take a look at this button; it’s fastened so tightly. My clothes are longer than the others…… You guys, to say nothing of work, when have you learned the art of face? How do you imitate others, Captain Xu?”

A young police officer coldly snorted: “Besides acting like this, does he even know of the world? It’s obvious that everyone knows Vice Captain Chen is the most qualified to be the captain. Who would’ve thought that the top would stick a guy in at the last second?”

“Although our Sanshui City is a poor and remote place, good or bad, it’s our city. Over a dozen years, we’ve accepted no few amount of cases…..” A police officer said meaningfully: “That’s to say in the end, whoever has the strength is whoever is at the top. Vice Captain Chen has endured it for so long, it should be his turn.”

“Hehe, I want to transfer a Detective Conan that I know, too. Is this considered nitpicking? 

“This is the police department’s Disciplinary and Observation Group for Major Offences. In this kind of place, who doesn’t have the fucking qualifications? Who doesn’t have several big cases under their belt?”

“The last person to take up post, Captain Gong, got transferred. We rank according to seniority, and we count based on the foundation beneath our hands! But all of a sudden, a new captain comes transferring in! Who can accept this!

A paratrooper. In any industry, in any department, they were all things that made people absolutely abhor them.

Moreover, it didn’t need to be said, this was that kind of young brat!*

With great difficulty, you would endure until you laid eyes on the position of director, but if suddenly, a leader’s relative* would come stand on top of your head and shit on you; what would you feel?

Xu Yangyi, male, unmarried, age: 21, specialty: blank, academic background: blank, political affiliation: blank, university: blank…...

Would you dare to believe a resume with four to five blanks! 

Who here wasn’t simmering in experience? Who hadn’t climbed towards the top, step by step? Why were you dropped in?

Calling these things to mind, Vice Captain Chen’s veins pulsated wildly. He inhaled deeply and snorted: We don’t need to discuss that the person who has come is indeed fucking awesome. What the hell has that fucking emotionless* brat come here to do? Once he sees a true crime scene, won’t he just piss his pants in fright?”

The top just doesn’t get it, as well.” Old Zhu smothered a cigarette out, spitting: “Yesterday, we jointly went to respond, but Chief Zheng was ambiguous about it and vague in his dismissal. It’s like he doesn’t know that a paratrooper’s come to our public security bureau’s major Disciplinary and Reconnaissance Group! A paratrooper that's even wet behind the ears* and that had never even seen a case! What kind of matter could this be considered!”

“Hehe……” Vice Captain Chen sneered and poured a mouthful of bitter tea down his throat, wiping his mouth: “Go to him, then, alright? I! Do! Not! Care!”

“Who fucking knows that leader’s grandson! Son of a bitch! If he wants to speak, then let him fucking speak! I want to see who Chief Zheng is going to look for in the end!”

T/N: You see the word paratrooper in this chapter, and I was a little unsure of it’s true meaning. From what I can guess, it’s more along the lines of being placed in a position without any merit/experience. 

*三无: literally meaning three none. I used the word emotionless instead here, since the original chinese encompasses a much greater meaning, that being, one who is considered devoid of facial emotions, silent, and in general hard to predict what is going on in their mind.

*毛头小子: Literally haired brat/kid. Doesn’t really make too much sense in english, but the haired portion gives image to an idea of youthfulness, more specifically, a young man with his hair let down. 

*Relative here is guess work. Author censors it out as XXX. Given the context of the situation, I feel it’s proper to use this word. Maybe it has some negative connotations though like mistress or gigolo.

*I used wet behind the ears, but it’s 一穷二白, meaning someone is lacking in some or all aspects (knowledge, culture, business, etc). I think wet behind the ears better describes the context in this situation

• XTBXTB
    edited November 9
    Chapter 2: M-Files (1)

As for everything happening in the office of the Disciplinary and Observation Group, Xu Yangyi didn’t know of it. Even if he knew, he absolutely wouldn’t take it to heart.

The present him was strolling unhurriedly, headed directly towards the Sanshui City’s Security Department where the first-in-command Bureau Chief Zheng’s office was. 

Pushing open the door of the chief’s office, the blowing of the air conditioning upon his body was an immediate relief without equal. Directly facing him was a middle-aged man telling something to his secretary seriously. 

He wasn’t tall, at most around a meter and seventy-three centimeters. His hair was sparse, and his face square. His face was filled with great changes due to how long he had held his high station, carrying a prestige that wasn’t angry, but still possessed might.

Upon hearing the door hadn’t been knocked on, but rather pushed open, Chief Zheng’s gaze lightly swept over, not saying anything at all. On the contrary, he gently opened a folding fan in his hand and shook his head neither slowly nor swiftly: “A country has laws and a family has rules. Without rules, we have no boundaries. The ancestors spoke well……”

“Indeed……” The assistant listened to the verse that appeared to hold a double meaning. His gifts of his mind automatically filled in the blanks, immediately switching on, glancing at Xu Yangyi without movement or fanfare, smiling at Chief Zheng and saying: “However, the military police transferred a man in this time…….”

“Everything has a system, has regulations.” Chief Zheng gently held his teacup and blew on it: “He wants to investigate, and it’s not that I didn’t reason with him. However, to come searching for me straightaway, the question is…… is it to find Lieutenant Colonel Li or is it to find me, Chief Zheng?”

“Good tea.” He pursed his lips in satisfaction: “Despite the urgency of business, despite systems, and despite codes…… Who is capable of superseding authority to transfer a man? To bluntly make the bureau chief to give him post?”

“An emergency, sure, we walk through the sequence of steps, so that everyone is relieved. The time is a bit long, but it’s no haphazard mistake.” Chief Zheng closed shut his folding fan with a clack, lowering his gaze to look calmly at Xu Yangyi who was standing besides a bookcase. He said to his secretary in an authoritative manner: “With things like this, you leave first. I’ll tell him, whatever the matter, everything has rules, has regulations. Are the people of the Public Security Bureau not tense? They’re just handling a special, major case. Our men aren’t able to investigate the entirety of it. Go, alright.”

The secretary left, and Chief Zheng coughed, upon seeing Xu Yangyi hadn’t responded. Standing up himself, and after he twisted the door handle a few times, he immediately changed back to his smiling face. The folding fan in the palm of his hand softly flapped twice, and he smiled as he walked over: “Little Xu…… Come, come, come. Sit, what would you like to drink? This old man hasn’t embarrassed you, right? Work is still going smoothly?”

His smile was like the blooming of a Persian Chrysanthemum, completely different from just a moment ago.

Without the might of a superior looking upon a subordinate, but rather like he saw an old friend. A smile of matchless sincerity. 

“None, it’s rather suitable. Xu Yangyi took out a cigarette: “May I?”

“Of course…… Little Xu, indeed you may. How many times have I said it? My office is your office. You don’t have to be so polite with me, Uncle Zheng. Come, come, come, sit. Let us sit down and chat.”

With a conversation like this, there were only two possibilities. 

One: Xu Yangyi was Chief Zheng’s long-lost younger brother.

Two: Xu Yangyi truly was a gilded paratrooper sent down, his background so grand that Chief Zheng couldn’t afford to offend him, not daring to commit an offense.

Little Xu, you see……” Seeing that Xu Yangyi had sat down, Chief Zheng hesitated to speak several times, smiling, but just as he opened his mouth, Xu Yangyi who was sitting across from him nevertheless looked at the flickering butt of his cigarette and said tranquilly: “Duck.”

“???” Chief Zheng found it somewhat unfathomable, but in the next second, the window behind him suddenly shattered explosively!

“Crash!” Like a gigantic fist had struck in from the outside. The window wasn’t only glass, but also framed with aluminum alloys. The entirety of it came flying in!

A sliver of sparkling, translucent glass came flying past the side of Chief Zheng’s ear. Time seemed to have froze, as he saw from the corner of his eyes, the side window seemed to shower and flutter like a rain of flowers. Every single sliver reflected the side of his terrified face. Already, the blue window curtains were flying in the wind, yet his mental state hadn’t even completely responded.

“Boom!” The change in his terrified mental state was slow, as if he was within a soundless world. The side of his body came like a great attack, knocking into the bookcase, against his own will. 

Xu Yangyi had kicked him.

As if time had taken flow once more, “Crash!”, countless glass shards like bullets riddled the entire room! Transforming the shape of the window frame unexpectedly like a corpse in the center of the room! He trembled from head to toe, wanting to stand up, yet he found foot lacked the slightest bit of strength. Even his hand that was supported on the table was trembling!

“What……. What happened……” His voice was involuntarily shuddering fiercely. If he had been standing at the side of the window a moment ago, he would’ve absolutely been carried off to the hospital by now!

However, closely following, he immediately reacted!

Impossible!

This was a bulletproof glass window! You wouldn’t be able to see it from the outside, but it was actually a centimeter thick! What kind of bullet could shatter the entire window? A sniper bullet would only be able to cause a spider’s web of an impact!

This was clearly some object that could punch in from the outside!

Yet this was even more of an impossibility! This was the twentieth floor! City Hall was the entire city’s highest structure! You could overlook the entire city from here!

The sound of his heart beat began to echo from the side of Chief Zheng’s ear, whose forehead was slick with sweat. He wanted to fidget, but he discovered his body had become terribly soft. Gritting his teeth he said: “Little, Little Xu……”

“Hush……” It was already unknown when Xu Yangyi had began to stand up, his expression abnormally solemn. Pointing his finger at his head: “There’s something here……”

These words were like a switch. Chief Zheng’s adam’s apple jumped in his throat; he dared not speak further. 

In his field of view, he looked around in fright, to suddenly discover…...

The window curtains!

The window curtains should’ve been hanging by the sides of the window, but at this moment, they were eerily suspended in midair!

Even at the top of window, as well as the bottom….. they were gracefully hovering. Such a feeling was as if a invisible man had charged into the the window, shattering the bulletproof glass and aluminum window frame! Afterwards, the window curtains just happened to cover the thing’s body, not falling down!

Because of the cover, a shape appeared!

It was broad daylight, yet such a strange phenomenon had occurred. Chief Zheng grit his teeth unwaveringly, as to go so far as to prevent himself from giving voice to his alarm.

The cold sweat that dripped down would be the death of him.

Just a moment ago…… There was something he couldn’t see. From an extremely distant place, it had used an extremely high speed to crash into his office, fragmenting the City Hall’s defensive measures. Until now, there had never been such a grandiose entry in before his eyes. 

This thing…… could shatter bulletproof glass…… The strength of its impact…… He didn’t dare imagine what the result would’ve been if Xu Yangyi hadn’t pushed him away just a moment ago!

Following afterwards…… Chief Zheng’s heart soon began to palpitate!

There weren’t any changes on Xu Yangyi’s expression, yet his eyes changed as they followed the path in attention.

Since the beginning, the other’s back had been pressed closely against the wall, looking at the floor. But now……. It slowly lifted its neck, going from the side of the window to arriving at the carpet, and then again to…….

In front of Chief Zheng!

“Chatter…… Chatter……” Chief Zheng’s teeth lightly chattered. With the other fixed onto him like this, its gaze was incorporeal yet tangible. Just as it was about to make contact, the other party said: “Something has come in. It’s completely capable of using its mind to form a scene.”

There was something…… right in front of him, looking at him unblinkingly.

Behind the thing…… was a Xu Yangyi who was storing his power, waiting to strike. 

Unknown, yet greatly terrifying. Just as his hand was about to slowly press the bell on the table, Xu Yangyi said in the softest of voices at the side of his ear once more: “Don’t move.”

He accepted the command as if he was robot. He wouldn’t dare to move even once, but his entire person trembled incessantly.

“Slowly, slowly lie down……”

Chief Zheng’s heart was already filled with terror. He hadn’t seen it, but Xu Yangyi who was in front of him had his hand pressed against his own left eye. The other eye was shockingly blood red! Yet nevertheless, his pupil white!

Within his eye, there was another image!

The color of night fall filled his eye in an expanse of jet-black…… In front of him was…… a tremendous serpent that was meter thick in diameter. It’s body was outside the window, but it’s head had already neared Chief Zheng’s face! The distance between the two was less than fifty centimeters!

It’s jet-black scales glittered in the twilight of the setting sun. It had a bloody maw wide enough to swallow a grown man whole, dripping light yellow-colored saliva.

Outside of the window, in a distant building, there was a toad idly basking in the sun.

The toad wasn’t strange, but…… it was no less than over a dozen meters high and more than thirty meters long in it’s enormous stature! If it was said that it was whale, then maybe someone would believe it!

It was lazing about like so, lying deathly still atop the building. There was a single three-meter long horn on the top of its head, and it had long feelers hanging down, like it was an illusory stone carving.

Beneath the center of Sanshui City’s stadium, there was a multi-color tinted centipede, curling its body, resting on a lawn. 

A centipede wasn’t curious, as well, however, in the same manner, it was over twenty meters in length! A centipede of over half a meter in height! Such that each and every section of it was armored on both sides with a golden ornamental pattern that was similar to a pair of human eyes!

Furthermore, in the far reaches at the river bank, there was a tremendous salamander. Beneath the water, its enormous silhouette approached no less than twenty-five meters in length. On the surface of the water, it cast a black shadow. Yet within that shadow, there was a freighter that just happened to be sailing by at lightning speed. It appeared to be completely unaware of that there was some sort of monstrosity lying beneath the water. 

Everything was met by the expanse of red that was his eye, outside that which obstructed the line of sight of all men.

Every scene was reflected upon his retina. As if it existed in another dimension, there was simply no one that was capable of breaking through this barrier.

A city of demons!

Red in color, isolated from men, as if it was an ephemeral scene that could cause fear if one came into contact with it. 

“Tsss……” At this time, Chief Zheng looked at in fear…… His carpet in front of him that had a hole unfathomably corroded into it. His pupils began to shrink!

It was coming…...

Those things were coming…...

It truly was them! They were right in front of him!

The more he was but left to look at Xu Yangyi, the more he was terrified, the more he was frightened! He didn’t know what was in front of him! It was as if a person had opened an elevator in the middle of the night, and the person inside said: Sorry, it’s too crowded! 

A nameless terror frantically spread through his entire chest!

But at this moment, Xu Yangyi moved.

Chief Zheng didn’t see how the other moved. He appeared only to have seen a savage shadow. In the next second, a loud clash echoed out! A kind of nose like a fist striking armor, suddenly echoing through the entire room! Moreover, the sound was almost within his reach!

“Hissssss……” a fit of strange roaring rang out, echoing extremely gently within the room. Immediately, the unnatural floating of the window curtains finally descended at a fleeting speed! 

Within the room, there was a death-like silence.

Xu Yangyi retracted his fist. In a split second a moment ago, he had felt as if he had struck armor. He hadn’t exerted the entirety of his strength; it was nothing more than a warning. However, the other’s hardness exceeded his imagination.

“Is it…… Is it gone?” Chief Zheng finally shivered in all of his might. Just a moment ago, fear had pressed down upon his heart. Now, he could finally vent his feelings like a blowout.

He didn’t use words, but actions.

“It left.” Xu Yangyi sat down in Chief Zheng’s seat. His eyes had already resumed to their normal look. Chief Zheng trembled as he supported himself with the top of the table. His fingers trembling in disarray on the table, he silently and slowly stood up.

It was slippery beneath his feet, so he propped himself on the table in panic. He didn’t dare stand too far away, standing at Xu Yangyi’s side. Presently, Xu Yangyi was sitting in his seat, but he simply didn’t dare to sit.

Xu Yangyi popped the collar of his shirt, and Chief Zheng discovered there was a microphone underneath: “Mao Ba’er, I reckon the thing from just a moment ago didn’t come out. In addition, why would a demon want to attack me? Are they not scared of death?” 

“Late-stage Qi Condensation, but it’s extremely odd. The spirit essence fluctuations are rather abnormal. The highest peak value didn’t surpass the peak of the initial stage. For the most part, it maintained a normal level of the initial stage. It’s about your equal.” A man’s voice could be heard from the microphone: “Speculating the root of the cause, this demon’s mind must be extremely muddled due to some unknown situation. We, as demon hunters, have to lose a normal train of thought and depend on the subconscious mind to take action. It’s quite likely it’s taken you as its target. Have you heard of the Lighthouse Theory? The two of you are like two lighthouses. You can see it, and it can smell you. As for why things are like this, that’s beyond my ability to speculate. However, we definitely already have two matters of business. You want to listen?”

Xu Yangyi nodded, as if he had seen the same over yonder, subsequently saying: “First, examine the victim’s wounds and the degree of its strength a moment ago. The demon’s shape confirms it as the true culprit of Sanshui City’s serial killer case.”

“Second, in the event that it is the graduation exam, you’ll have more than ten more points added on.”

Chief Zheng hadn’t heard the conversation, but the expression of a new lease on life covered his face. Looking at Xu Yangyi, he finally said: “Little…… Captain Xu, this business…… you…… your honor……”

“Relax.” Xu Yangyi hung up the microphone, looking at Chief Zheng who had terror stretching over his entire face and raised his brows: “I said so. I’m a ‘professional’.”

“If not for that, how could you guys make a request of me to come from distant parts, criticizing with lowered heads, making me lead this Disciplinary and Reconnaissance Group?

• Welcome XTB..
  • XTBXTB
    edited November 9
    Chapter 3: M-Files (2)

Chief Zheng’s smile was motionless.

His complexion was seldom cautious, but looking in Xu Yangyi’s eyes, he still said in a somewhat trembling voice: “Just now, that really was a……”

“What do you think?” Xu Yangyi didn’t answer and asked.

Chief Zheng glanced in lingering trepidation at the floor covered in bulletproof glass and the window frame. The answer was already extremely obvious.

“I want to see the M-Files.” Xu Yangyi said: “You should know of where I come from.”

Chief Zheng didn’t open his mouth.

The other’s background was too much of a secret. In regards to that mysterious organization, he would prefer to keep a respectable distance. If it weren’t for the serial killer case being far too strange, and the fact that he knew this was strength only achievable for a superhuman, he would’ve have been absolutely unwilling to request the other to come.

It wasn’t…… It wasn’t that the case was strange, but rather the “person” who committed the crime! That in itself was an oddity without peer!

He remembered those wounds and the wretched condition of the victim. It absolutely was something a human could bring about!

“You come from Heaven’s Law.” Chief Zheng finally sighed: “China’s most secretive special forces, not answering to any organization or territorial administration. As to who directly governs it, no one knows. You come from the Yuyang City branch, taking first in your class. Currently, you’re in the middle of your graduation exam.”

Then, you know……” Xu Yangyi softly rapped the table, saying indifferently: “When I was eight, I had already encountered these things.” 

Chief Zheng looked at Xu Yangyi in astonishment.

“That day was my birthday.” Xu Yangyi’s vision drooped, looking at the indistinct flickering of the cigarette butt. His voice didn’t hold a single lick of the flames of anger, and moreover, it didn’t have a trace of melancholy: “When I came home, I found out that my home had become a killing ground.” 

Arriving at this point, his voice broke off. No less than two seconds later, a smile spread out across his face: “Thus, I am the number one of Heaven’s Law’s Yuyang City branch.”

“I have always…… Always been searching for ‘it’.” Xu Yangyi looked at Chief Zheng, his voice neither hurried or lagging: “For the debt of my mother and father and for throwing my life into chaos since then, as well.”
    “Gulp……” Chief Zheng’s throat tightened. With hands on both armrests of the sofa, his knuckles paled!

Anormal…… No…… A ruthless man…… This was an honest-to-god, ruthless freak!

Who would even smile upon mentioning such a matter?

Who wouldn’t even have a change in the expression on their face when bringing up such an affair? As if he was a reiterating the story of another, not holding a single iota of emotion?

No one…… In his leather shoes, Chief Zheng fell back somewhat unstable. Even if he was first in command of the city’s Public Security Bureau and had bore witness to many abnormal cases, he had never seen such a person!

It seemed he lacked the concise logic of conversation, yet he knew of the emotions of the other, a murderous intent that coalesced at the very bottom of his heart. Walking towards the other nonchalantly, he gently took out a blade, and severing the other person’s throat inch by inch, perhaps so that he would even be able to leisurely watch the other’s blood run dry until there was none…… This kind of fiend in sheepskin only needed several phrases to make him feel…...

This, he wasn’t the same kind of human as he was!

“I’ll give it to you right away……” Chief Zheng fished out a handkerchief and wiped away at the cold sweat on his head, diverging off into another topic, even if the temperature the air conditioner was spitting out in the room was only twenty degrees celsius. He silently stood up and carefully examined the door once more, taking out a key from his inner pocket. Cautiously opening the hidden compartment of the bookcase, he restrained his breath and took out a paper bag. 

As he stroked the object, his hand trembled.

There were some things…… They had had never been taken record by any man. Only the first-in-commands above the city level had an indistinct understanding. They were sealed off in a strongbox of the highest secrecy, unable to be spoken of to any man, until death from age, it was necessary to deeply conceal it.

He had taken a look at this highest of secrecies, as the first-in-command of a city, he had the qualifications. So, he was even more clear, that which was recorded within…… Were simply beyond his wildest imagination. So much that it was an absolute secret, that in case he made an announcement, it would arouse a societal upheaval! Even if it was the tip of the iceberg, he was threatened with nearly losing his job, resigning, and returning to the countryside!

Chief Zheng shut his eyes, steeling his frame of mind and sucking in a deep breath of air.

Each and every page, all of them were nightmares…… those strong-armed by a government coverup. Indeed, a truth that could not be disclosed…...

Every truth was recorded within this manila folder. Every half a year, a person sent from the top would come to examine and receive the materials. This file was known as the M-Files, the MONSTERS Files, a files of monstrosities!

He remembered too many of the things inside, since once they were peered over, these things were simply hard for a man to forget.

1993, the dam burst of the Yangtze River in Sanjiang City. Seven hours before the dam broke, a hundred villagers in Dayang Village witnessed a ten-meter-long black carp batter against the floodgates. Three hours after the dame broke, a man from Heaven’s Law had come, isolating the entire scene of the incidence. Intense tremors could be heard from the ground. Three villages down river had saw ten washbin-size black scales rolling along with the blood-red river water 

Presently, there was also a Dragon King Temple within Dayang Village. 

2004, the famous incident of the Sanjiang No.2 secondary school, if you asked it of anyone now, they would all know, as so far as the No.2 secondary school had changed into an experimental school. After the event, 60% of students had transferred. 

It was a distressed ouija incident*. Two classes, over twenty students, had remained at school after class. By the time eight o’clock rolled by, all of them were injured simultaneously. They had been cut open from their singlets, and their internal organs had vanished without a trace. That same day at three o’clock at the wee hours of the morning, an emissary dispatched by Heaven’s Law had entered the scene. To this day, the inhabitants of the entire city recall the fierce surface tremors in the vicinity of No.2 secondary school on that night.

This incident was one that he had personally “cleaned up”. After the event, he was plagued with nightmares for an entire week. On account that the two rooms had blood-dyed feathers piled up all over the floor, each one about the size of a book.

2010, in Sanjiang City’s Nankai County, Sanjiang City’s biggest industry was steel, and the steel mill in Nankai County had exploded. Over a hundred men had witnessed a gigantic rock fly out among the fire. 

There were too many…… Chief Zheng pursed his lips, the palm of his hand completely covered in cold sweat.

Since he had finished looking over the banded charts of data, the exhaustive post-event reports, how it was connected with the news, the internet, how the navy was used to smooth out the affect, and how the recollections of the masses had slowly been trivialized…… Upon observing these familiar and tedious government techniques, from the major participation of the city government’s first-in-command, and to minor matters like the appointment of every secretary assistant. He knew, each and every type of step to carefully reconstruct the affair truly was…… absolutely wasn’t a falsehood.

There were some…… things that ordinary people simply wouldn’t be able to see…… Together with humanity, and in union with China’s history, and the world’s history, accompanying it at birth for several thousands of years!

They had never left, never disappeared. Walking alongside humanity past the Prehistoric Era, past the Stone Age, past the Age of Enlightenment, past the Feudal Era….. and stepping into together once more…… the Age of Information!

They, they were at the side of every man. Like the light on the other side, surviving tenaciously among mankind. 

The name they were known as: Demons.

And while every one of China’s officials were aware of demons, and like they knew of the darkness, at the same time, they knew that standing against the darkness was light, as well —— Heaven’s Law.

No one knew of their true identity, besides they belonged to China’s central government, but they didn’t classify under any jurisdiction. In the security system, any place where a “special incident” occurred that was incapable of being resolved, they had to be immediately contacted. Outside of Heaven’s Law, no one knew what the inner workings were like.  

Light in his hand, and receiving the paper bag, Xu Yangyi’s vision sunk as he opened the paper bag, looking through page after page. 

The sound of rustling reverberated within the room. Perhaps the matter that hard occurred moments ago was too dreadful or perhaps this kind of deathly stillness was too unendurable. Chief Zheng laughed awkwardly and asked: “Heaven’s Law…… what are the forces like?” 

“Xu Yangyi’s hand paused, and he lifted his head to smile strangely: “We…… All of us have truly seen it with our own eyes, experienced it, and have watched these seemingly supernatural, ancient monsters make contact with…… other kinds of monstrosities.”

“You can understand it as such.”

Not speaking further with Chief Zheng, Xu Yangyi switched on his transceiver: “Mao Ba’er, I just finished looking over Sanshui City’s M-Files. The demon that lives away from Sanshui City and hasn’t crawled in is classified as a Serpent Eye. It should’ve come in from outside.” 

“Serpent Eye?” A voice from the transceiver suddenly spoke: “It’s not ‘It’?”

“No.” Xu Yangyi’s vision trembled: “Every day, I dream of ‘Its’ appearance. The victims’ wounds and that of my parent’s that year are very similar, so I specifically rushed over here…… But it absolutely isn’t.”

The other didn’t ask why he was so sure, since he understood. In these many years, Xu Yangyi had much understanding in regards to the characteristics of the injuries “it” created.

“Strange……” The voice from the transceiver sighed: “Every one of Heaven’s Law’s students have personally encountered these living fossils. You guys are fortunate; walking on a path of cultivation that ordinary people can only read about in novels. Yet, you guys are unfortunate, as well…… The cost of this path is too great…… yet Heaven’s Law’s number one objective is to help you guys seek out the killers from that time. All of the officers, whoever it was, searched…… just for you…… Heaven’s Law’s network encompasses all of China, but never has anyone seen it……”

Pausing, the other party continued: “According to my calculations, your opponent’s average strength is somewhere between 70% and 120% of the initial stages of Qi Condensation. Do you want reinforcements? I must remind you out of friendship, if you accept reinforcements, the total points for your graduation exam will be reduced by half.”

“I don’t need it.” Xu Yangyi narrowed his eyes and cracked his knuckles, the cracking sound echoing. 

“Then, how can you be certain of its direction?”

“It's quite simple……” Xu Yangyi laughed: “It’s not like the local ‘natives’ don’t. If I ask, things will be clear.”

“They care much more more in comparison to me that a formidable opponent has ‘settled in’......”

Shutting off the transceiver, Xu Yangyi lifted his head to look at Chief Zheng who had a complex expression written all over his face and suddenly laughed: “Do you know what is most capable of promoting harmony between species?”

Chief Zheng shook his head. Currently, he wasn’t of any mind to think about this sudden question.

“It’s life……” Xu Yangyi narrowed his eyes: “This is a major, irreversible circumstance…… Chief Zheng, I’ll only remind you once…… Demons, it is a kind of race. An inhuman, intelligent community…… The hierarchy of their society…… is absolutely not as simple as you think it to be…… Moreover, it’s not something you’ve read in a novel.”

They weren’t parasites of human civilization. If it were truly so simple….. what could these hunters in the darkness amount to? Trifling exterminators?

Drinking together from a golden goblet, our naked swords mutually unswerving.**

Xu Yangyi deeply respected these bonafide monstrosities that had survived since the Prehistoric Era. This was living fossil in the darkness. He would accordingly give the other party due respect. However, when the time to set the task came at hand, he absolutely wouldn’t stay his hand.

Absolute serenity. When the time came about to take action, he would be completely unburdened!

*笔仙. I did some localization magic here. I never actually heard about this, but this is considered Chinese Ouija pretty much. Pronounced Bi3 Xian1. So two people hold a pen over a piece of paper and the spirit is supposed to do the writing for them while they ask questions.

**This is a pretty cool phrase: 金杯共汝饮,白刃不相饶. From what I found, it means: I’ll share a cup with you in the drinking parlor, but on the battlefield I will be unforgiving. In a way, it is the mutual respect between warriors.

• Thanks..
  • XTBXTB
    edited November 17
    Chapter 4: Pharmaceutical Corporation (One)

He stood up, pushing the door open, and left for outside. Chief Zheng immediately questioned: “Little Xu…… Little Xu! This case! How should this case be handled! W-Why did they find me? D-During the time I took up post, I hadn’t heard of this kind of precedent!”

Presently, above all else, he did not want Xu Yangyi to depart. Thinking of the scene that had happened moments ago, his heart grew weary with trepidation.

An invisible death god, traveling across hundred and thousands of meter…… From some place in this city, had charged through his bulletproof glass, turning everything into rubble!

Xu Yangyi narrowed his eyes, not answering the other. 

This was the Lighthouse Effect…… Furthermore, it was unknown whether this demon had become bloated in its self-confidence or gone insane. It had unexpectedly dared to take action against him.

A lighthouse. It illuminated man, and man could see it, as well. The moment he had arrived at City Hall, he and the other had become each other's’ lighthouse. After two days, the other finally couldn’t bear with it anymore and made the first move.

I shall takeover this case. The others aren’t allowed to get involved.”  He swiftly stepped out in stability, not answering. On the contrary, he spoke, leaving no room for questions. Chief Zheng followed behind him, completely unlike a superior in relation to his subordinate, instead, listening deferentially and nodding incessantly..

Xu Yangyi suddenly stopped in stride, looking at the other person deeply: “That includes you.”

“Sure!” Chief Zheng immediately responded, his heart settling for the most part.

In order to suppress these things, how much effort had the government dispensed? The money and energy was simply an astronomical figure!

Behind every news story that the masses asked “why”...... Too numerous of them couldn’t be said, a secret that could not be spoken of.

“Two, organize an absolutely reliable fire squad. In these three days, I will be preparing to begin operations.”

“Not a problem.”

“Three, in concern to the authorizations of the staff dispatched to this case, other people must not interfere.”

“This……” Chief Zheng muttered to himself in hesitation. This was tantamount to skinning him of all of his power as the Public Security Bureau’s first-in-command chief in regards to this major special case. Furthermore, it was evident he was telling him that he wanted to strip him of his privileges, even more, he wanted him to promise out of his own mouth!

“Is there a problem?” Xu Yangyi turned his head to look at him.

“No…… No problems!” The words were as light as a feather, yet these made Chief Zheng’s heart cold. Gritting his teeth,  he immediately responded: “This case…… I won’t get involved! The police, the armed police, they’re yours to maneuver! If you still require the army…… I shall go coordinate it!

If it was unnecessary, he absolutely wouldn’t be willing to personally broaden his knowledge of the contents of the M Files; what those MONSTER files were truly like.

Silent, the only sound that remained was the crunching of his leather shoes pounding the floor. Through the whole journey, no words were exchanged, and as they arrived at the entrance of the Public Security Bureau, Xu Yangyi raised his brows, saying with reservation: “Chief Zheng, is there something else?”

Chief Zheng had continued to follow behind him.

“Nothing, nothing at all!” Chief Zheng’s old face blushed. From the bottom of his heart, he had believed the other party still had some other request. What was up with this kid? If he had spare time, didn’t he know to speak? 

Xu Yangyi nodded: “Then, I’ll step out first.”

At this time, a voice suddenly echoed out from behind them: “Chief Zheng, wait a moment, hold on!”

As Vice Captain Chen trotted over to them, Xu Yangyi furrowed his brows and lifted his leg to leave. Vice Captain Chen had already yelled out, though: “Captain Xu, there’s trouble, wait, too!”

“Old Chen.” Facing Vice Captain Chen, Chief Zheng’s mood was finally relieved of much tension. Just a moment ago, as he conversed with Xu Yangyi, he had unwittingly put himself in a lower position, simply not caring that the other person was in his early twenties. According to age, the other should’ve still been a young college attendee. 

That kind pressure, a formless one, made him extremely uncomfortable. Even now, he had just recovered his prestige as the chief of City Security.

“Something’s the matter?” The corner of his swept over Xu Yangyi coolly and promptly supplemented: “If something’s the matter, you can inform Captain Xu first, since you’ll be reporting to him. It’ll be good as long as you coordinate with him with the best of your ability.”

Vice Captain Chen stopped upon hearing these words; he nearly choked on his spit!

Was this a fucking joke!

Casually throwing the paratrooper as you please! You’re making me accompany him!? On the flip side, this was even a serial murder case! Accompany your fucking &@^#*!

Why did he have to accompany him? How was he supposed to accompany him? This pudgy-faced brat that had never seen a crime scene? He wasn’t making all of the Disciplinary and Reconnaissance Group cooperate in subordination? 

“Chief Zheng, this is pertaining to the case!” In violent fury, it was easy for a man to lose his rationality. With burning rage assaulting his mind, Vice Captain Chen simply didn’t look at Xu Yangyi. Moreover, he hadn’t seen the cogitating look within Chief Zheng’s eyes, gritting his teeth and saying: “Am I not considered a senior of the police department? Old Zheng! You and I came out of the same school at that time! This case, how is it being handled? Who is responsible for it? Is it okay for to tell me something in the end!”

jHe looked on as the position of group leader failed to land within his grasp. He didn’t have Chief Zheng’s methods, but they were of the same age. He had endured until his hair had grown white only to see the dawn of a new group leader, yet not even waiting for him to fall into fantasy, it was suddenly killed off by the descent of a paratrooper!

How could he not be angered? How could he not be furious?

Who in Disciplinary and Reconnaissance Group could endure such a tone? He wouldn’t bear with it!

The corner of Xu Yangyi’s mouth slightly curled up. Rather than say these words for Chief Zheng to listen to, it was better off to make a deliberate display of things. You want to flash off your fake thunder, fine, no problems. But in anycase, you can’t make me do something without just cause, right? You want to divvy up the size of the merits, huh? You poseur waltzed right in during this time, and moreover, it wasn’t I that received your position! You mustacheless brat, what do you understand of how to handle a case? I’ll let supervise the case, and when you find the killer, you’ll see a living demon!

A major special serial killer case…… It was heard within the province that it was attached with great importance. Such an opportunity had been snatched up along the way by you, an emotionless paratrooper? You intend to slice up our flesh piece by piece?

Chief Zheng’s brows suddenly tightened.

Had he gone mad! Was he insane!

A person of Heaven’s Law had been invited to come into the City! But he didn’t tighten his trap and instead was causing trouble! As it wasn’t even enough disorder already to resent him?!

These several lines were like several staggering blows, striking Chief Zheng into muddled disorientation. Meaningfully pulling on Vice Captain Chen’s hand, he laughed awkwardly: “Old Chen…… We’re both old friends. Food may be eaten indiscriminately, but words cannot be said carelessly……”

Fuck your mom!*

Vice Captain Chen nearly didn’t open his mouth to curse. His temperament was fiery to begin with, so upon hearing these words, he clenched his teeth angrily.  

What was up with today? What damned illness did you catch?

Chief Zheng who he had knew well for many years had delivered to him some abnormal words! This reminded him…… How great was the power behind the other?

Who was that bastard son of a bitch!

A beautiful misunderstanding had come about like this. Chief Zheng simply didn’t dare to speak of his matter. This two-bit idiot Vice Captain Chen only knew he didn’t get his position and had to even obey the dispatch of a brat now?

Not even speaking of what the outcome would be like, Chief Zheng had used these words to warn him!

How was this something that he as an elder of several tens of years was able to continue to endure!

“Old Zheng, what do you mean?” Choking on anger, Vice Captain Chen glared at the other, gritting his teeth and saying: “What? Even after so many years, you still don’t trust me? In the year before the last one, who handled the bank robbery? And then that last one from that year, who arrested those two killers on the run? Why? You’re letting that paratrooper take the reins? You kidding me?! He’s going to handle the case!”

“I won’t.” He didn’t expect just as his tone lowered, the indifferent sound of Xu Yangyi’s laughter would float pass. It seemed as leisurely as he had just finished his afternoon tea.

These words angered Vice Captain Chen even more that his eyes turns somewhat white.

You won’t…… You shouldn’t bother me!

“I won’t obey!” Vice Captain Chen sucked in deeply: “Chief Zheng! I apologize, I was a bit worried, but the entire province is following this case! Do you believe in him or do you believe me!”

Chief Zheng’s facial features hung low, he had already cursed the other person to death!

He believed in Vice Captain Chen’s ability to handle the case, however, could he handle this case? Would he dare to do so?

For him to let him go handle it would be the same as harming him!

This case…… Hehe, I truly still cannot believe in you!

However…...

This could not be said…...

Within every city’s M-Files, and as well as all the personnel involved with it, if the matter was leaked, he simply didn’t dare to think of what the consequences would be.

“Chief Zheng, you have to tell me!”

“Tell you? Sure.” Chief Zheng let out laughter as cold as ice. Fine, if you can’t read between the lines, then it serves you right that someone airdropped you! Soon after, he looked at Vice Captain Chen and said word by word: “I, will, say, it, again.”**

Captain Xu has full responsibility over this special case! Old Chen, you should do in accordance to what he says! Otherwise, don’t blame me regardless many years of face between us!”

He finished speaking and brushed his sleeve aside, leaving.

Vice Captain Chen was in a complete daze.

He totally didn’t think that Chief Zheng would be like this despite the present situation! Moreover, he didn’t think the other would directly denounce him!

Was this really his old acquaintance Chief Zheng?

“Good…… Good!” Vice Captain Chen glared at his back for a while, turning his head and leave: “Love whoever does who does! I won’t do it!”

Chief Zheng simply didn’t pay attention to his threat, swaggering away without a second thought.

Vice Captain Chen smiled in meaning at Xu Yangyi at his side, using his eyes as blades to execute the death by a thousand cuts on the other.

The paratrooper didn’t speak…… But it had actually been the presence behind him that made the Chief of the City’s Public Security Bureau speak on his behalf! The top was making him listen to the commands of this brat?!

Was this the central committee’s three generations of officials? Capable of settling the public opinion of a city?

I’ve worked at the Public Security Bureau for several dozens of years, but I have to obey the commands of this person that just graduated who doesn’t even a single hair on his upper lip?

He muttered something as he brushed by. The crook of Xu Yangyi’s mouth faintly raised upward.

Don’t think he had it hadn’t heard it clearly…...

“Who the fuck is a bastard? Coming over here with his gilded prestige, he doesn’t even know anything about gilded etiquette! He’s just blindly going through the motions of a match!”

Xu Yangyi sat down leisurely in his Audi, suddenly laughing.

“Indeed, I don’t understand how to handle a case……” He popped open a drink and smiled as he pleased: “However…… My fist is great enough……”

Spraying a mouthful of blue smoke towards the roof of the car, the vapors wound around his eyes shut: “It looks like I’ll have to question some of the ‘locals’...... I hope they’ll cooperate……”

Within his eyes, the composition of the world came to consist of more ordinary people. He could perceive things that an exceedingly great amount of normal people couldn’t. In that same vein, those things could sense him just as they could before.

Like a lighthouse on a dark night, the traveler saw the lighthouse, and the lighthouse illuminated the traveler.

Smelling the fragrance of blood, I seek the temple of spiritual peace. A ruined scene, the specter of debauchery sings. Xu Yangyi blasted the stereo of the car, the compressed heart-shaking rhythm echoed out. He laughed: “Deliver Me……”**

One of the Three Great Forbidden Songs…… truly matched his style. 

Followed by the ghost-like drifting of Deliver Me, he parked his car at the entrance of a building after an hour.

The building was quite ordinary, extremely ordinary, that is, if you neglected the enormous toad at the top of it.

*卧槽尼玛. Pinyin Wo Cao Ni Ma. Not including tones because it’s pretty obvious what this means. Always interesting to see how Chinese folk try to get around censors

**This passage is pretty unique that the author does some of it in english. Unfortunately, while he does get some of it right, it looks like nonsense, so I had to fix it. Trying to actually find lyrics for these three forbidden songs on western internet is actually impossible apparently, since I can’t find it, but luckily, our Chinese counterparts have preserved it well on their internet. If you can read Chinese, look up 世界三大禁曲 on Baidu. On western internet, at best, you’ll be able to find out the names of these songs and perhaps a clip on youtube.

• Thanks..
  • XTBXTB
    edited November 17
    Chapter 5: Pharmaceutical Corporation (Two)

At night, the early evening lanterns had already been lit. Although it was inside a building, the lighting was still sparse. As the neon light flickered, the toad in the darkness was motionless, as if it was genuine stone carving. Its enormous body was illuminated by the neon light, emitting a kind of strange seduction.

This was the scene within Xu Yangyi’s eyes.

In the eyes of others, there wouldn’t be anything here at the top of the building.

“Sir…… You are?” The person at the front desk saw Xu Yangyi enter and didn’t obstruct him in the slightest. The police uniform on his body was the best method of passage. Xu Yangyi raised the official police credentials in his hand: “Your company has someone related to the serial killer case. I need to enter at once.”

“Serial, serial killer case?!” The voice of the person at the front desk suddenly raised. In this month, twelve people had died in a series of bizarre deaths. He even heard that cram schools at night had been canceled! Was this truly false? Was this a real police officer? Was there really a suspect in the building?

Tossing his credentials on the top of the other’s desk, Xu Yangyi didn’t want to waste time here and headed directly towards the elevator.

“Ding Dong……” The elevator stopped on the fifteenth floor. He precisely stopped it and looked around on the floor, discovering the entire level was a conference room.

Shareholder conference rooms, the conference rooms for all kinds of groups, research conference rooms…… His right hand lightly grabbed at the air, placing it before his nose and sniffing it, and he set foot into the shareholder conference room in certainty. 

“Good evening, I’m rather sorry for the disturbance.” Pushing open the door, he slightly bent his body to bow in courtesy: “Could you appear in front of me? If you don’t want to die.” 

There wasn’t a single soul within the conference room. An artificial bonsai plant could be faintly seen atop of the table. Through the branches of the bonsai plant…… The massive backdrop of the conference room glass window could be seen. Outside, the specks of lights were like resplendent glow of a starry sky, shining through the unusual night.

No one replied.

“Don’t get excited. I understand your worry. I just want to chat as peacefully and calmly as possible.” He smiled gently, grabbing a chair and carefully lifting it up and then setting it down. There wasn’t even a sound as it fell on the thick carpet. He slowly sat down, gently patting his police uniform: “You’ve been trudging along within human society for so long and finally seized a cooperation opportunity with a well-known company. If not, you’d be worried because a demon’s appearance doesn’t change, and their bodies don’t grow old. Meanwhile, you’d have to change locations every few years because of the suspicions of your neighbors and classmates. You don’t have to worry where to eat, as well. Moreover, you’ve got your own stable hunting ground. You can even get a huge bonus. I understand.”

“However…… my patience is limited. You see, this is my graduation exam. Can’t we understand each other…… Personally, I’m rather anxious. When I get anxious, my temper won’t be too good……” He languidly took out a lighter and lit a cigarette, taking a deep drag from it, and looked around the conference room that was as still as a mortuary, appearing like he was talking to himself. After waiting three seconds, he laughed: “Now that peace has failed, I will use force; my courtesy has been exhausted.”*

His face still carried a trace of a gentle smile as before, and he grasped the lighter in his hand, which was amped up the greatest scale, placing it on the meeting room table before him.

“Pssst……” The tangerine-yellow flame illuminated the entire room. Serving to drape shimmering soft red clouds on the corners of the darkness.

In the next second, a strange transformation unexpectedly arose!

What he has used wasn’t a natural gas lighter, but rather the most common of types. Just as the time pointed to nine o’clock, the lighter flame suddenly  flashed three times. Soon after…… It became as red as the color of blood! Atop the table…… where the hazy, strange light illuminated, a fiendish shadow was dragged out!

It wasn’t a man, but rather the shadow of a gigantic toad!

Swaying gently in the darkness, it trembled as it swayed.

“Crackle……” In a split second, the formerly gentle flame crackled like a firecracker, like that of a hopping demon! Spewing out a hellish stygian light!

“Woo…...Woooooo……” All the chairs around appeared as if there were people sitting on them, pulled out to the four sides of the room simultaneously! An authentic wood chair on a heavy stall made a heavy sound as it was dragged out! The sounds resonated within the empty room!

“Shrip!” The window curtains suddenly scattered open! The blowing of the night wind gushed into the room like a breached dam!

“Your patience falls short in comparison to my imagination……” Xu Yangyi stowed his lighter, laughing grimly and blowing the flame out: “Speak not of the spent wick; it's rootless water lighter fluid*. Its tasteless and odorless to humans, but to demons, it’s the most disgusting stink, even unbearable to smell. I didn’t even believe you could endure it for so long.”**

The flame was suddenly extinguished, and the world in a flash returned to the control of darkness once more.

With such an extreme contrast of sight, many people would feel it to be extremely unsuitable. However…… This kind of unsuitable feeling simply didn’t fit him.

Within the darkness, there was a glimmer of light appeared.

\It wasn’t the light of a lamp or was it any man-made illumination. Moreover, it wasn’t a light appearing in front of Xu Yangyi, but rather atop of his head!

It was blood red, it was only a single trace, it was…...

It was the pupil of a demon, something that Xu Yangyi couldn’t even be more familiar with!

“Courting death.” He laughed grimly.

In the next second, there was a strange sound of wind, coming from an incomprehensible angle, cleaving the through the air!

Wind Edge Technique…… Distance apart from him: 0.65 meters. Strength: 70 kilograms…… Speed: around 70 meters per second….. His brain was like the most accurate calculator, listing out a great string of figures in an instant.

There wasn’t any light within his eyes, but there was an incomparable deepness, like a pair of glittering gemstones on a dark night. His eyes settled as usual, seizing every of the most minute of changes within the darkness.

A slight ripple came into view at the left side of his body. This formless power combined with a berserk velocity pushed apart the air! Pushing apart resistance! It was the indication it was on verge of ramming into his body!

“Shrip!” A concise and bright sound like that of the Grim Reaper’s sickle echoed out ear-piercingly at the side of his ear!

“Bump!” In the next second within the darkness, a sound like that of a blade chopping into a wooden stake could be heard. Soon afterwards, within the vacuous darkness of the room, the surprised shout of a man echoed out: “Huh?!”

It was in this moment that Xu Yangyi moved.

There was no sound of wind and there were no footsteps, like a cheetah walking in the forest. Using the thick pads of its paws to tread on the wind and set foot on the clouds. There wasn’t any sound of movement; there was only the whistling of soft wind. If you didn’t listen carefully, it was the kind gentle “whistling” coming from the window blowing on the window curtains. 

“Argh!!!” A blood-curdling screech came out from the darkness. Following the indication of a soft noise, the lighter shone once more.

Xu Yangyi had a strong hand, tightened around a person’s throat like a death grip. He hadn’t had such strength at the police station, but now, his veins were completely present, making people not doubt the degree of the strength of his hand in the slightest.

“Urgh…… Urgh!” The person being lifted up could only produce bursts of dry heaving from his throat. It was a youth around seventeen to eighteen years in age, however, he was wearing a Versace T-shirt and trousers. His financial situation was clearly pretty decent.

However, his blood-red eyes and golden vertical pupils were things that a normal human simply shouldn’t have had.

Xu Yangyi’s sight looked over his left hand in passing. There, a large opening had been already been cut into his police uniform. It hung suspended starting from his shoulder and halfway down his sleeve. The slash was incomparably even, like a blade had cut through it.

It was only that a handful of blood had already began flowing along down the cut on his police uniform, dripping on the floor, making a pattering sound. Under the dim radiance of the lighter, it was extremely frightening. 

“Do you know……?” Xu Yangyi’s other hand to hook onto the the youth’s chin, using the strength of hand to push back, forcing the other’s head to raise upwards by a great extent. The youth’s legs kicked against his body, but it was like kicking stone. His eyes began to whiten towards the youth, saying neither slowly nor hurriedly: “You should know, every person in Heaven’s Law has their own unique nickname. Guess, what is mine?”

After three seconds, there was no response. The youth’s throat was as if it was being choked by clamps; he was simply incapable of answering. He could only produce the hacking sound of being choked. Both of his hands tried to break of Xu Yangyi’s hand for dear life, but it was like grabbing onto an iron hoop; he was unable to shake it off even a fraction.

“It seems like you don’t like interacting with people too much.” Xu Yangyi flicked away cigarette ash, his action was neither slow nor hurried, but cultured and refined. In spite of the other already beginning to froth at the mouth, he laughed and said: “Remember it clearly. My nickname is…… the Grinning Reaper***.”

“Isn’t it rather awesome? To be honest, I like it, too…… Don’t roll your eyes, I’m not lying to you.” Xu Yangyi’s smile vanished, moving closer to the side of the other’s ear and gently whispering: “In all of my life, there hasn’t been a single demon of the same rank that’s dared to take the initiative to reveal their demon pupil before me.”

“Bang” He casually tossed the other aside, and the youth landed on the ground like a pile of hemp bags, rolling for about two to three meters. Xu Yangyi wiped his hands, sat down peacefully, and watched the other clutch at his own throat coldly. Frantically coughing, the other covered the climbing of his flushed throat.

“Cough, cough, cough!” Like he wanted to cut open his lung, the youth suddenly grabbed the teacup in front of him and downed it in a single gulp. He shut his eyes in rest for a good couple seconds and opened his eyes while gnashing his teeth in fury: “To dare to act towards me like this…… Sanshui City’s Cao Clan won’t let you off!”

Xu Yangyi puffed out a mouthful of blue smoke and laughed: “The pharmaceutical corporation? The Cao Clan?”

The youth gasped for breath, not replying. Xu Yangyi flicked away at his cigarette ash and said: “Between you and I, what status do they hold?”

“Seven years ago, the Cao Clan emerged as a new force to be reckoned. Their all-encompassing health supplement was heard so much that all of the citizens of the country could recite it by heart. In a few years, they grossed a few hundreds of millions. The pharmaceutical corporation was their first official resounding success……” He paused, as if he sorting out the information, and it wasn’t until several seconds later, he laughed at the other: “However…… you know, there are some mad scientists in Heaven’s Law that are always sitting on their hands. Especially under these circumstances, it has to be known those other wise creatures cannot help but to get a bit stir crazy……”

“Coalescence manuscript.” He looked into the youth’s eyes, and the other was evidently stunned: “I’ll say, how could the new health supplement be so good? Well…… if you you add in cultivation materials, even just a little bit, the effect on mortals will be as clear as day. You and the Cao Family are even really cooperating cheerfully together. I guess…… You’re their technology director? You joined in with them under this pretense?”

“So, even if the Cao Clan looks on helplessly as you don’t age over the passage of seven years, they’ll turn a blind eye to it. On the contrary, they’ll completely cover up your existence? Indeed, it is a harmonious symbiotic relationship…… like a rotting animal and the maggot on its body. It makes people sick.” 

“Anyways, what about it?” The youth’s form was that of a young man, yet at this moment, he was completely calm. His manner of speaking, movements, they simply weren’t like that of a coarse-haired lad. Against expectation, it was like the water of a deep lake…… Tranquil and murky in its depth, a lake that had long endured distress.

“For eternity, demons don’t grow older, and they don’t become feeble with old age, as well. Is there anything wrong in me seeking a host?” He glanced somewhat fearfully at Xu Yangyi: “The Shennong Convention is still in place. You human cultivators can’t interfere in the internal affairs of our demon race’s business without any reason at all; that’s going beyond your authority! I have the qualifications to go the Nantong Province’s highest cultivation court to sue you! You’ll be faced with at least fifty years of imprisonment!”****

Xu Yangyi’s head leaned against the chair, lifting his hand and waving it to stop the other. He said without a single change in his voice: “I only want to ask you a question.”

“He smiled at the other: “Tell me, if a normal person had just entered, what would’ve happened?”

*先礼后兵: Literally, courtesy first, soldiers after. Meaning is to use force after peace. (in event peace fails)

**无根水 - noroot water or rootless water. From what I was able to research, this is actually a medicinal material that ancient Chinese used in medicines and stuff like that

***微笑死神 Literally Smiling Death God. I think Grinning Reaper sound cool.

****Shennong Convention: 神农架公约’. Shennong as in the farmer god in Chinese mythology.

• XTBXTB
    edited November 17
    Chapter 6: Pharmaceutical Corporation (Three)

“Of course, you would die.” The youth sneered: “Don’t tell me I should trust in some low-level member of Heaven’s Law that’s come looking for my door?”

“Bang!” His tone didn’t drop, but he abruptly flew back!

Just a moment ago, his stomach felt as if it had been hacked open by the reverse edge of an Azure Dragon’s Falling Moon Blade! The other person simply hadn’t waited for him to finish speaking and sent him flying back with a foot!

The youth ventured to swear that he heard the sound of his ribs fracturing.

“You……” He looked at Xu Yangyi incredulously. The sharp pain of his chest was like the swelling of the tide. Within, a large section had already become sunken in. A footprint could be vaguely seen! He grinded his teeth unwaveringly, and his voice transformed into a roar in a flash: “You…… Insignificant human! Nothing more than a hundred-year-old termite! You go so far as to dare violate the Shennong Convention! I’m the Cao Clan’s Technology Director! You actually……”

“Boom!” In the next second, Xu Yangyi touched the side of his leg as he was smiling, and his heel connected with the back of the other’s head, suddenly pressing him down onto the table, making a loud sound!

The excessive use of strength made the top of the entire table tremble. His eyes desiring to crack open, the youth looked at the other with unparalleled hatred. While he could simply move, he dared not do so. On the contrary…… the lingering fear of his post-traumatic experience made him start to faintly shiver from head to toe.

“Recite it with me.” Xu Yangyi peacefully played around with the lighter. In the darkness, the light carried in the back made his expression unclear to see, yet the smooth sound it carried was like the icy-cold of a knife: “For the construction in scope of a favorable society, to found a harmonious societal atmosphere.” 

“You fucking……”

“Bang!” 

“Argh!”

He increased the strength of his foot once again, and his foot atop of the youth was a like a tremendous mountain boulder, making him simply unable to display more anger! 

Because of his use of strength a moment ago, the top of the table was already beginning to split open with a thin wooden crack! The teacup he had placed on the table was faintly trembling!

He would truly die!

A numbing dread swiftly pervaded the stretches of the youth’s mind.

“I’ll recite it! I’ll recite it!” His train of thought was like arcing electricity, yet his brain still hadn’t responded. Already, his body couldn’t help but yell as it teared at his throat: “F-For the construction in scope of a favorable society, to f-found a harmonious s-societal atmosphere!”

“I like people that cooperate.” Xu Yangyi retracted his foot and laughed: “See, there’s no need, right? You’ve refused the toast but to drink a forfeit*.”

The youth grinded his teeth, stood up, and sat down on a seat. He clenched onto a teacup so hard that his hands whitened.. 

This man….. From the moment he started, he simply didn’t wish for “etiquette” with him! 

That so-called period of time hadn’t exceeded over three seconds! Who would appear and chat with a hunter that had come knocking on their door?

At this moment, his demon’s intuition was telling him that the other really wanted to kill him…… Truly dared to kill him!

What bullshit convention! The other side simply didn’t give a rat’s ass! Not even looking at his expression that was as serene as lake waters, if you tore away at the seam of his skin, you would discover that this was a genuine demon!

Carrying a smile on his face. A remark he hadn’t found suitable until he had been kicked into the wall! At this moment, he truly believed. Truly believed in the nickname the Grinning Reaper!

“You psychopath……” The youth grinded his teeth rigidly and said with an incomparably resentful, humiliating, and hateful voice: “You actually went so far as to willfully lay hands on a demon despite the human-demon convention……”

Xu Yangyi swept his eyes over the other indifferently: “I ask, you answer.”

“Age?”

“Eighteen……” The youth glanced at the look on Xu Yangyi’s face, faintly knit his brows, and immediately said: “That’s the age on my ID! I’m thirty-three!”

“How many hosts have you found?”

“Five! I swear I haven’t killed more people than that!”

Xu Yangyi laughed and raised a brow: “I estimate it to be true, as well. The accuracy of the wind edge coming towards my neck was pretty terrible.”

The hand of the youth on the side of the table made a cracking noise as it clenched. 

“Why did you find a host?”

“Aren’t you asking what you already know?” The youth said gloomily: “Demons can’t grow old and will never age, but our lifespans are the same as those of humans. When we come to realize the gravity of the situation is also whatever the time of our appearances are. Could you tolerate your neighbor for a few years or over a dozen years that doesn’t age? If we don’t find a host, where would our identification papers come from?”

Finished speaking, he sneered at Xu Yangyi: “Yet isn’t this the doing of you humans? To use the internet, you need identification papers, but who is going to fucking pull it out? You need papers to find a job and to attend school! You even need papers if you want to travel! Granted these things…… Taobao! Website registration! You actually need identification to play games! It’s written clearly in the Shennong Convention…… Thus, what I am most sick of is dealing with you weak, cunning humans!”**

Xu Yangyi didn’t speak, taking a drag of his cigarette and saying expressionlessly: “Qi Condensation…… Foundation Establishment…… Core Formation, these three great realms…… Walking step by step, everyone these days is striving for life, but you actually got the gall to go play games in the human realm?

The youth sighed deeply, looking at Xu Yangyi’s gaze that carried a hint of coldness; what he had said carried a bone-carved resentment: “You think I want it to be like this? If you find a spirit vein, it’s the government that gets to grow flowers first, set up the auction, and allows selected people to bid successfully. Soon after, the higher offices of Heaven’s Law start up a project immediately! The country set up nine offices, don’t you know? You haven’t heard it, huh? Who knows that the there are only eight offices…… Just to give to Heaven’s Law in preparation! Otherwise, where did you believe the spirit stones came from that you use to cultivate to the middle-stage of Qi Condensation?”

“Afterwards, with each of those of the great Core Formation realm, the humans of Core Formation and the Greater Demons partition it. Hehe…… It’s the age of information now. If a Greater Demon massacres a city, or anything like factory explosion, or the breach of a dam, how can these things be concealed? The sitting premier dreads having to bear the blame! Who dares lift the cover of the last several thousand years of darkness?  Hehe…… Not a single person dares!”

The world was full of humans. Cultivation was to cultivate more and live longer. Qi Condensation, a hundred years of longevity. Foundation Establishment, two hundred years of longevity. Core Formation, three hundred years of longevity. As for Nascent Soul that followed……  To say the least, he had never heard of it. It had already been over a century since the realm faded into the past.

Cultivation had three great stages: Qi Condensation, Foundation Establishment, and Core Formation. For the corresponding transformations of demons, it was Form Transformation, Firmament Upliftment, and Origin Crystallization. As for what came after…… No one had witnessed it. Each stage required a staggering accumulation of resources. That wasn’t not to say that one could use the absorption of spirit stones, but it was a resource that one would have to muster all their will to circulate. ***

It was because of the nation’s support that humanity had enough resources to cultivate. Of course, it was sufficient, that was in relativity to the demons. 

As for demons, after triumphing in Form Transformation, their spiritual livelihood would be easy. They could enter and leave famous mountains and great rivers as they pleased and search for ancestral remnants, obtaining the fortunes of human overlords from long past. With the addition of blood vessel inheritance, demons were over a third more powerful than humans within the same realm!

This kind of disparity, coupled with the fact that after a demon cultivator could expel and reabsorb their Origin Crystal, was even more apparent. As for the utmost beginning of transforming between human form and demon form as one pleased, such a demon cultivator was like that of Nascent Soul realm human. In the same manner, they had already become nearly extinct long ago.

On one hand, there was victory in the amount of human cultivators; the base number of those with spiritual roots was great. On the other hand, the demons beat out the humans in terms of strength when it came to the abilities of individual soldiers. However, in “life”, the major heart of the issue was that both sides had long ago shared intimate, harmonious relationships with each other. The Greater Demons wanted humanity’s strength to accumulate their own resources, and humans didn’t want to force the other too tightly. If a Greater Demon went mad in this kind of peaceful era and wreaked havoc in all directions, the balance of interplay between the two nations would change.

At the very least, things were like this on the surface.

“Continue.” Xu Yangyi flicked the table: “Sanshui City…… How many hunting grounds does it have?”

“Eight.” The youth answered without the least bit hesitation: “The awareness of the demons’ territories is extremely strong. Every cultivating monster has cut out their own territory. They wouldn’t let other demons enter their hunting grounds, otherwise, it would be equal to the declaration of a life-or-death struggle. I think …… that the Public Security Bureau doesn’t wish to see such a situation, as well. However, in the same vein, it’s not all the demons that can cultivate. At the least, it’s only the demons of the initial stages of Form Transformation that establish their own hunting grounds. I venture to slam my chest in guarantee, with myself included, the number of demon cultivators at the realm of Form Transformation doesn’t exceed over eight!”

Xu Yangyi didn’t have any expression whatsoever. He himself was part of Heaven’s Law. He understood the interaction between demons and humans, and in fact, he didn’t know much more in comparison to Chief Zheng.

What he genuinely understood was…… the most effective and fastest ways to kill demons.

No matter if it was a demon, a fae, a ghost, or a monster, he could practically set himself to the task of finding the other’s Achilles heel. 

Others merely acted to master the surface of the knowledge and nothing more. Slaughter, that was his true speciality. 

In light of this aspect, he could even be considered an honest and pure man. At the very least, he was an unadulterated person. 

“Have any other demons come recently?” Xu Yangyi asked stonily. 

“Of course……” The youth began to laugh cruelly: “I know what you’re looking for…… What? Heaven’s Law accepted Sanshui City’s mission, but is unable to find the killer? You…… Argh! You…… Lighten up a bit! Dammit! Let go of my hand!”

Xu Yangyi’s hand was already gently pressed against the other’s carotid artery. It was just that he simply wasn’t glancing at him,rather, he was looking at the indistinct flickering of the cigarette butt in his hand.

“I want an answer.” He smothered the end of his cigarette by pressing it between his fingers: “No bullshit.”

Demons, in the same manner, were a society. He wasn’t of the mood, and the duty as well, to obey the constitution of the other society.

Simple and rough was the style of his conduct in his investigation. His execution of policy only sought after results.

You’re not going to speak?

Sure.

I’ll follow orders and change my methods. 

“You fucking psychopath……” The youth’s lips shivered. He had truly been frightened. In all these years, he had never met a person of Heaven’s Law. In the passage of thirty-somewhat years, he had long since never revered humanity’s branch of special forces. Besides, he hadn’t kill that many people at all; he wasn’t a carnivorous devil. Heaven’s Law didn’t possess the arts to use their vision to cast out his body.

But tonight…… this youth in his early twenties before him made him start to rethink everything once more.

“I admit defeat today.” Watching the retreating hand, the youth took a long breath and sneered: “The person you want to find is in an abandoned building in the south of Jiuzhou City, the real estate part. From this day onwards, our paths shall not cross again!”

The youth finished saying these words and opened the door with a swoosh. Just as he was leaving, his face suddenly turned ashen, and he turned his head: “You still haven’t asked for my name.”

“Really?” Xu Yangyi looked at the night scenery lost in thought: “That’s not important at all.”

“Bang!” The door rang like a trembling mountain. The youth charged outside the door, carrying an unequalled burning fury.

“That whore-raised bastard……” No one had seen it, but he left the door in a flash, pursing his lips forcefully. He glanced and the door and sneered: “You truly believe Heaven’s Law is omnipotent? Don’t forget, you’re only a student that still hasn’t even graduated! Hehe…… You haven’t thought to why it’s wildly killing people in Sanshui City? Of the demons, do none care? Is the Shennong Convention truly a joking matter? 

“It’s not that they do not care…… It is that they do not dare to take control of the matter…… There’s not a single demon in Sanshui City that dares to rear their head…… Hehehe….. I’m really looking forward to it…… The scene it tearing you to pieces……” His body was like an illusion, beginning to drift apart into the air in layers: “...... Relax…… When the time comes, I’ll ‘help’ your soul pass onto the afterlife……”

T/N: I want to make a note here that sometimes, the author uses the word “it” to describe demons in third person. Especially in this situation here when the demon is referring to himself as male and then switches to “it”. For the sake of consistency I just made it perma “he/him”. 

*Refused a toast but to drink a forfeit. A colorful chinese idiom meaning that a person refused to do a request, but in the end is forced to that that request and then some.

**Taobao: Chinese amazon/ebay I believe

***化形, 天梯, 内丹. These are the three realms described for demons. Respectively, they are Form Transformation, Heavenly Upliftment, and Origin Crystallization. Of the three, the one I’m most iffy about is Firmament Upliftment, since the literal translation is Heaven’s Stairs/ Sky Ladder. Of the three, the last one, Origin Crystallization is like that of Core Formation except for demons. Like human cultivator cores, demons have a “crystal” as their core. I tried to mirror human cultivation realms in terms of naming for demons.

• XTBXTB
    edited November 17
    Chapter 7: Friendship Boat

By the time Xu Yangyi returned to his room, it was already eleven o’clock in the evening.

“How are things?” A voice could be heard from within the closed room: “I can’t help but to remind you, but the period of time the graduation exam is limited to is a week. Currently, five days have already passed. The provincial division head is in the middle of waiting for Yuyang City Branch’s summary report…… I hope I don’t have to repeat to you how low the graduation rate is for Heaven’s Law? And how many people are watching each branch’s exam?”

“I found it.” Xu Yangyi started up his computer and glanced at the web page. Following, he began to knit his brows: “...... Mao Ba’er…… I’ve warned you many times, you’re only my agent. My allowance each month before I haven’t graduate is only a thousand……”

“What’s the problem?” The voice within the room echoed out suspiciously. 

Xu Yangyi looked at the opened string of Taobao web pages, his eyes narrowing somewhat dangerously: “How many cleansing talismans from the Many Treasures Pavilion do you have to cycle for half a month to step into Qi Condensation at fifty bucks a pop……The drifting snow of Mount Emei’s Nine Hidden Monasteries’ Jade Pools can enhance a smidgen of spiritual energy, but the most important aspect is the absolutely great taste…… Five hundred for a treasure? Go ahead and explain how it’s the secret of cultivation. A one-time tip is a hundred, but you went and tipped five times, using all of my alipay…… Get the hell out.”

The falling sound of a lock echoed in the room, clear and cut to the point without fooling around.

Xu Yangyi picked up his cell phone and looked at it. Great…… Of the 10,000 bucks that he had deposited, only 800 remained.

“Ding Dong……” At this moment, a familiar sound rang out from the web page. He glanced at it: “Are you sure to mail the Jade Pool Drifting Snow to Yuyang City? According to our regulations, this is our online shops final question. To state once more, this store is dedicated for cultivation. Without a photograph, the result will ask you to please seek customer service. Disclaimer: this store is under the protection subject to a S-rank law of government policy. If ordinary people buy this shop’s treasures as they please, this shop cannot take responsibility for all the consequences that happen afterwards.”

Connecting to customer service ID: Mie Jue*.

Xu Yangyi swiftly used his unmarried, twenty-one-year-old hand to swiftly hit refund.

The shop owner of “Five-Year Crown —— Mount Emei’s store for the cultivation of your personal Dao” was stunned. 

“You…… canceled?” Mie Jue asked uncertainly.

“I bought the wrong item.” Xu Yangyi typed without the least bit feeling guilty: “What about cultivation, it’s simply a joke. In what age would you still believe in it!”

“No…… Dao-Friend, didn’t you just also just confirm your identity as a cultivator a moment ago? How come now……”

“You saw wrong.” Xu Yangyi shut off the Taobao without a bit of mental pressure. He opened QQ — the amount of people he had on it were quite few — to look for the portrait of a husky and sent a message: “Get ready to evacuate tomorrow evening. After this business is finished, we’re going to discuss today’s matter again.”

“For what does thou blameth the sickness of study…… This one understandeth…...”**

Xu Yangyi narrowed his eyes and looked for two seconds: “Are you certain?”

“Thou speaketh plainly as the depth white silk……”***

“I’m going to report to the school to change my agent; I’m incapable of communicating with martians.”

“My computer was having some issues a moment ago, clear out tomorrow, right? Not a problem.” The portrait of the husky immediately said vaguely: “Relax, it's our first collaboration. I’ll put out a hundred percent of my sincerity!”

Xu Yangyi lit a cigarette and took a faint drag, replying with a single hand: “Your good faith is to use my online payment to settle the bill?”

“That isn’t important…… Gosh! It’s time for my beauty sleep! See ya!”

The portrait of the husky quickly turned grey, not one second more and not one second less. The friendship boat could be said to have capsized.

Xu Yangyi didn’t pay attention to him, slowly taking drags of his cigarette. He clicked on the treasure shop known as “Since Time Immemorial”.

“It’s here?” He asked. Sounding the bell was a customer service agent named Yan Nanzi.

“So it turned out to be Dao-Friend Xu. Your advance purchase of the lectures of ‘Pertaining to a Cultivator’s Self-Cultivation and Future Programming’ has already arrived. Our series of instructions is lectured by one of China’s ten great Core Formation cultivators, Dao-Master CloudCrane, who goes by the web handle of ‘Idle Clouds, Feral Crane’. Through the field of science, rational analysis, and a good many actual examples that offer evidence one by one to dissect the environment of the new cultivation age, how to properly handle the resources of both humans and demons, how it is an industry of massive-scale of the entire nation and so much as the entire globe, and the formation of cooperative relationships of these mega corporations. It won’t let you win at the starting line, but you’ll rise straight at the finishing point.”

“......” Xu Yangyi’s hand paused: “I’m sorry, can I pay this in installments?”

“I apologize. This shop doesn’t accept paid installments at all. This Dao-Friend is afraid that he doesn’t know, but Dao-Master CloudCrane’s web lessons all come from Heaven’s Law’s General Hospital. He himself holds the post of academic doctoral advisor to master’s students for ‘The Study of Society and Cultivation’ and ‘The Science of Structure of Society and Cultivation’. If you don’t have the opportunity to listen the teachings of the cultivation world’s premier establishment for education, it alone is capable of dispel the doubts that muddy the way of the Grand Dao. Dao-Friend, please take a look, the last cycle’s lesson on ‘The Composition of Qi Condensation and How to Distinguish Excellent Network Relations’ reached 500,000 units in sales. Surpassing the lessons of the other few Core Formation cultivators in sales, Dao-Master CloudCrane is also publicly recognized as the foremost Daoist educator.

“I don’t have enough money.”

“Dao-Friend, nowadays, scientific methods are employed to analyze cultivation. This isn’t the Cultivation Age anymore, but that of Cultivation Civilization. How does the human body absorb spiritual energy? What is the division of composition of the essence of spiritual energy? Perhaps it is the proton? A quantum? How is it circulated within the human body? How do the ancient circulation techniques promote its operation? All of this is analyzed in detail for you by Dao-Master CloudCrane…… My meaning is, to miss out on this would be your greatest loss. In understanding of the situation of financial hardship that many initial stage cultivators, our shop doesn’t support payment in installments. However, we do support payment with items.”

“I can use items to pay?” Xu Yangyi’s eyes shimmered and immediately asked.

The times were different.

Cultivation was a thing of the past that dated back several hundred years, several thousand years, and as far back as over ten thousand years. Currently, cultivation had already become a kind of civilization. In comparison with the ancient cultivators of several thousand years ago, the nature was different!

This so-called civilization has strengthened humanity’s adaptation and perception of the objective world. In accordance with the spiritual pursuit of humanity, it had been approved by the overwhelming majority of people and the accepted cultural spirit, the sum of invention, innovation, and as well as the better customs of public order. It was the assembly of all of society’s conduct and structure of natural behavior caused by the situation of humanity’s departure from retrogression, coursing through the concept of family, tools, language, script, conviction, religious ideology, law, the ideas of city states and nations, and so on.   

Present cultivation was a lubricated thing that was secretly and soundlessly integrated into the lives of every person. From small things like clothing, food, residency, and work, and then to major aspects such as the secretive mining reclamations and the contrast of strength between nations.

In the age of science, cultivation civilization, which was incapable of being explained by science, just happened to slowly become the ceaselessly-expanding primordial apex.**** 

“It’s quite simple. If you hunt a demon, there are auctions undergoing at the Many Treasures Pavilion in every city. Our store holds close collaborative relationships with the Many Treasures Pavilion and through the appraisal of our experts at our Many Treasures Pavilion, they can send the assessment to our shop. If the object and the price of the treasure are equal, our shop will make the delivery instantly. If the price isn’t the same, we’ll still have to as Dao-Friend to continue his best efforts. If the value exceeds the price, our shop will reimburse Dao-Friend with the excess portion. You see?”

A contract adhered to WangWang. Xu Yangyi glanced over it for a fair period of time and nodded: “It’s not a problem. I’ll have prey tomorrow night. My agent will contact the Many Treasures Pavilion.”*****

“Okay, I wish you to be of good health and a pleasant mood. May you eternally remain without heart devils, not chance upon thunderous calamity, and your cultivation soar by leaps and bounds.”

Shutting the computer off, Xu Yangyi needed a good sleep. Flying, at the very least the flying of human cultivators, was the threshold of the graduation exam!

The graduation rate in Heaven’s Law wasn’t high, yet every single graduate was the crème de la crème. However, the community of cultivators was so big, with merely China’s preliminary statistics being that of a million people! Did a Daoist master require an intelligent and capable assistant?  Did Foundation Establishment seniors want for themselves right-hand men to settle a few inconvenient matters they had ill-completed in the past? Did Qi Condensation cultivators not want to join some organizations to dispel their doubts? To seek assistance?

There were job openings everywhere, but…… excellent talents were yet too few in number!

Each year’s major graduation exam was the the opportunity for everyone to reveal themselves. He was extremely clear about it, even if he achieved the realm of a Core Formation master, all eyes would be closely following the list of names for the graduation exam. Their think tanks would make evaluations from every aspect, from a student’s potential, inner quality, and strength. A majority of people would enter a branch of Heaven’s Law. However, in the case a person was extremely favored by a Daoist master or some super organization, although they still wouldn’t know how they would be treated, it would be absolutely much much better than their present circumstances!

Inhaling deeply, he shut his eyes. Tomorrow’s demon extermination would be his first; he was determined to succeed!

Time passed quickly. Through the night there wasn’t anything that occurred. On the next day, Xu Yangyi sat down in his seat and drank his tea as always, indifferently observing the chatter of his “subordinates. He picked today’s newspaper coolly, watching all the people in front of him.

To step into cultivation, a person had to be born with type of thing called spirit sense. Simply put, it was something a person could send out countless “feelers”, and through these “feelers”, they could access the world.

In other words, he could see things; he didn’t need to use his sight at all. Perhaps it could be said this “vision” on the contrary was to let them see through true or false obstructions. For example, he could see things that a few ordinary people of Sanshui City were simply unable to see. Even if these things were right in front of them, it would be of little care to them.

Presently, his newspaper concealed the front of him, making it seem like he couldn’t see a thing. Yet his spirit sense swept over the appearances of all the people present.

Chatting and cracking melon seeds between their teeth, there wasn’t a single person paying attention to him.

If he were to go slay a demon, he would need the support of firepower. 

He didn’t hope for the firepower support to be of any use. The critical point was…… that after both sides truly started to battle, everyone would throw caution to the wind and grind themselves away to their last bones. On one side were humanity’s overlords, and on the other side, were the the living fossils that had carried on since the ancient times. The premier fear was that the other was greatly older than him by over a dozen years. If he didn’t completely kill his opponent, the other would flee, and the entire city would become the floor of an unexpected catastrophe!

As long as the support of fire power could obstruct it…… just a little bit, the government and the agents of Heaven’s Law would be able to completely suppress the matter.

In China, the power of the government was formidable. Completely different from that of western multiparty nations. 

The question was presently…… How was he to make the people that who viewed him as an eyesore to obediently listen?

T/N: Lot of work went into this chapter……

* Mie Jue = 灭绝. The thing is, I’m not sure if this is a name or something along the lines of an online username. Given the nature of the characters, I’m inclined to believe it’s more of a screen name if anything along the lines of “Extinguished” as the name.

** This text speak is almost like gibberish to me. TBH i’m taking a strong guess what is being said here. Some of these characters I had to guess what they mean because their archaic. The way the husky image person is speaking is rather archaic. It’s lost on me why someone would speak like this (it doesn’t appear to look like text lingo) other than because that person is an otaku/chuuni whatever word you prefer. “學痮伱恠説甚庅……朲鎵聽囨忄董……”

*** 尓説白勺σκ縞堔 is one line. I have absolutely no clue what part of this means. It incorporates archaic speech and what I believe is online slang? If anyone knows please do tell LOL and I thought working on FTA gave me a good basis for slang……

**** WangWang = 旺旺上. At first I thought it was an adjective per definition, but it didn’t make sense to me. Honestly, wouldn’t have made much sense if I didn’t do some more digging. WangWang, is from what I can discern, an app devised for Taobao by Alibaba, which allows customers direct access for product assistance or even the seller.

***** 太极 = Taiji. Referred to in Chinese mythology as the origin of things or perhaps that which is supreme/absolute/omnipotent and omniscient. I translated this as primordial apex. Perhaps this is one thing better off left untranslated.

• XTBXTB
    edited November 15
    Chapter 8: The Most Complicated Seems Most Simple

“Ding Dong……” Shutting off the computer, he lightly rapped the table. In a flash, customary calm fell into the room as everyone’s sight was trained on him. All of the were stunned, and immediately the loud clamor of discussion broke out.

They simply didn’t place this muddle-headed, young paratrooper in their eyes.

“Settle down.” Xu Yangyi picked up his cup, taking a sip of tea neither hurriedly nor slowly.

The sound of discussion quieted down somewhat, and Vice Captain Chen cast a roll of his eyes as usual.

“Tonight, I’m going to apprehend the serial killer. After I complete the capture, I will leave Sanshui City at once.” Xu Yangyi blew on his tea, making the tea wedge float somewhat and bob up and down without a trace of sound.

In the next second, everyone present on the floor went silent.

You see me, I see you. Vice Captain Chen widened his eyes at Old Zhu, and Old Zhu widened his eyes back in return.

Had they seen a ghost in broad daylight?

The greenhorn had said he was going to arrest a criminal? Even more, a serial killer?

What was he shooting off his mouth for! He could sleep over yesterday’s discussion! And today, he was going to catch a criminal! Do you think you’re Sherlock Holmes? Or Conan and Kindaichi*!

“Captain Xu……” A forty-somewhat-year-old police officer murmured uncertainly. Speaking about the job, he was serious, as well: “Case handling is a very rigorous job…… We need the location of where the criminal will appear, investigate the type he likes to get in touch with……. We have none of it……”

“I am very rigorous.” Xu Yangyi waved his hand: “The source of information is absolutely reliable. The City leader has approved of it, and if anything happens, I shall bear the responsibility.”

“How can you bear the responsibility!” Anger sprouted from within Vice Captain Chen’s heart. Suddenly standing up, his voice resounded like a copper gong: “After you finish handling this case, you’re leaving! How can you bear the responsibility? Isn’t it going to be me that gets to inherit this crock of a mess!”

“You take a look!” He pointed at all the people present: “We of the Disciplinary and Reconnaissance Group are hoping for a big case so our names will ring from east to west! The brothers and sisters are all longing for this case! In the past, Group Leader Gong would take a hands on approach with the case! Thinking it over step by step! These words are unpleasant to listen to, but you’re a rookie! Do you possess the same richness of experience as we do? If you take charge of this case, what’s going to happen if a problem comes up? Is it you’re frightened that I’ll steal your thunder?

“Captain Xu, everyone knows you’re a poser. It doesn’t matter, which department doesn’t have someone like that?” A female policewoman seemed to speak respectfully: “However, a poser only knows of a poser’s standards. You shouldn’t touch that which can’t be touched, taking hold of contributions is proper business, wouldn’t you say?”

The implication — no — she had already spoken quite clearly. The most disgusting person was one that didn’t understand crap, but still insisted on charging into battle with a grasped blade!

The present Xu Yangyi had evidently taken on the role as a person detested even by dogs.

Xu Yangyi wasn’t angry at all, sweeping his eyes over everyone. This was a job and was treated like a job; he had always adhered strictly to the rules.

“I cannot speak of the source of the information. You guys cannot hear of it, as well……”

“Hehe……” Old Zhu laughed hollowly and added on a few words: “And still, everyone really isn’t able to hear of where the captain of the Disciplinary and Reconnaissance Group has heard this….. Are you saying there’s a rat among us? Who’s the rat? Triads? There seems to be no such thing in China. Narcotic traffickers? Our Sanjiang City is located in the far west; there’s not enough food to eat on the left side of the country. These things have always floated in from the southeast. Captain Xu, in regards to what you have said, I beg to differ.”

Xu Yangyi was still neither arrogant nor impatient, speaking indifferently: “Listen until I have finished speaking.”

“There’s no need to speak!” Vice Captain Chen snorted coldly and stood up. Not to speak of any disrespect, in the Disciplinary and Reconnaissance Group, anyone could make a rebuke, things would only be fine as long as they obeyed their commands. However, the Group Leader absolutely couldn’t be scolded! Furthermore, of the people in the  Disciplinary and Reconnaissance Group, how many people had cool and collected temperaments? Coming into contact with bad guys day by day, wishing they could arrest them and beat them to death.

They only admired strength. Without strength, they simply wouldn’t get along in this setting. What do I care about you being a paratrooper? Even if you were a galactic marine, it wouldn’t be of any use. At worst, daddy would just kiss some ass and get a better job somewhere else, resigning and become a private detective!**

Xu Yangyi closed his eyes.

“I do not approve of your leadership, Captain Xu! If we are wanting of a leader, I! Old Zhu! Old Qin! Are all capable! Concerning the psycho killer, it’s also everyone’s contribution……”

“Everyone shut the fuck up.”

In the next second, the cover of the teacup suddenly flew out, and after several to eight yelps of “wait”, cries of alarm began to ring out.

“The fuck!”

“What’s going on?”

“What’s happened?!”

“Goddamn……”

The chairs of three to four people had been cleanly bisected!

“Ding!” A fragile sound rang out; something had struck into the wall. The echo reverberated uninterrupted.

The room appeared to return to that day when Xu Yangyi had threw the fountain pen, a scene of silence.

Old Zhu’s forehead was slick with sweat, trembling as he faced towards the place where the last brittle sound had rang out from. However, upon a mere glance, his entire being petrified, completely left dumbfounded where he stood!

There was a teacup lid in that location.

A normal, delicate porcelain teacup lid. An extremely brittle, elegant, fine porcelain had yet been handled like it was a sharpened sword. Less than half of it was embedded into the wall, the other half…...

It was completely stuck in the wall!

This fragile-to-the-touch teacup lid had still been in Xu Yangyi’s hand in the last second, but in the next, it had partitioned three chair legs like a hidden weapon, accurately nailing into the wall! Moreover, it hadn’t injured a single person!

His gaze cast over, and subsequently, so did Old Zhu’s, who after hissing coldly, went deathly still once again.

After that, it was Old Qin and then the rest of the others followed up.

One, two, three…...

Everyone had seen that teacup lid!

It wasn’t the same as the thrown pen from last time. At that time, the pen had pierced into the table. Originally, it was an extremely cheap table. While perhaps they wouldn’t be able to do it, it was still within their realm of understanding. Yet this time, their understanding had been completely overstepped!

All of them felt their throats go cold.

“Hehe……” Old Zhu, a middle-aged woman, laughed hollowly, a laugh even more unsightly when compared to weeping and stuttered: “T-T-This is a special teacup, right……”

No one paid any heed to her, or perhaps it was because everyone still hadn’t recovered from their shock. 

“Turnaround.” Xu Yangyi’s voice echoed from behind them. Everyone sluggishly turned their heads and looked at him uncertainly. 

“I spoke nicely, but all of you didn’t listen.” Xu Yangyi had already opened his eyes: “Congratulations, you guys, you’ve thoroughly pissed me off.”

“Time and time again, over and over…… How many times have I reminded you lot? You didn’t listen, you guys still didn’t listen……” He suddenly slammed the table with a bang. Xu Yangyi stood up with eyes raging: “I’m not your fucking wet nurse!”

“The municipal committee has spent no small amount of strength to invite me over. You ought to love me for joining this Disciplinary and Reconnaissance Group!” Xu Yangyi glowered with his sword-like brows, his voice even sharper than a knife, and absent of his ordinarily absolutely deadened appearance. Pointing at the door: “Don’t like how I do things!? Then get the fuck out of here right now!”

No one moved, or rather…… didn’t dare to move.

It seemed like no one had expected that this was his true fury.

The flying pen from last time had truly only been a minor warning.

“Leave, don’t you see I’m pissed off?” Xu Yangyi held his teacup in hand and poured it down in a gulp, forcefully pausing and sneered grimly as he observed the crowd: “Frogs at the bottom of a well, how is one to know of the greatness of the Yangtze and Yellow Rivers. I’ll tell you all of two matters.”

He stuck up two of his fingers: “One, I was invited by the person you normally nod and bow to, yelling ‘leader, leader’. Listen clearly to me, invited! Why? It’s precisely because of this case.”

“Thump Thump” The table made a noise as it was struck heavily, but no one uttered a word.

The teacup lid was behind them; they wanted to speak…… yet they had to restrain themselves.

His voice returned to his normally tranquil one, only that it was somewhat terrifyingly ice-cold. Being looked at by each and everyone of his nonsense-babbling “colleagues”, he snorted: “Two, you guys are still inadequate to gain access to this case.”

“I’m finished speaking.” He sat down on his chair, crossing one of his legs over the other and holding his teacup with both hands: “You don’t like how things are being done, get, the, hell, out!”

“One or two of you that were students of the police academy, can you tell me how to write the two characters for ‘obey’? I gave you all face, yet you lot still wanted to climb all over me? Hehe…… Who gave you all such self-confidence?”

“The first time I reminded you, you didn’t understand. The second time you don’t understand, it serves you all right to stay as minor police officers for your entire lives!”

His deafening voice reverberated within the room. Not a single person dared to look him in the face.

This was might. Even if all of their might was added together, it would still fall before Xu Yangyi at this moment.

Xu Yangyi coolly observed everyone. Originally, he hadn’t wanted to argue with these people in particular; they were all mortals, they weren’t the same as him. It wasn’t necessary to argue. However…...

It was necessary that the capture be carried out tonight!

He still didn’t have his graduation certificate; it was only practice right now! How could he put out so much effort?

Thus, the most complicated seemed to be simple. Rather than argue with them and explain himself, it was better to user thunderous methods to leave the group of them completely speechless.

The result was evidently quite good.

Whoever has objections, I’ll give you lot three seconds to stand up and get out.”

Old Qin was somewhat absent minded. It seemed as if at this moment, she had seen Group Leader Gong of the past once again.

No one said anything, even Vice Captain Chen, Old Zhu, and Old Qin, the three most senior members, were silent, as well.

“Since there’s nothing else, then I……”

“Hold up!” Vice Captain Chen grit his teeth and said with everything out in the clear and open: “You…… No, Captain Xu, you were really invited over by the City leadership?”

To make the leadership request someone…… How great was this of a title?

However, he, Vice Captain Chen, had never heard of this person’s name on the contrary.

Even more, not to speak of his age in the early twenties, what could he know of? He hadn’t even accumulated enough experience!

He had been totally oppressed by the other’s might. He chose to to be convinced, yet he still held his skepticisms. 

“You guys aren’t able to know the name of some forces.” Xu Yangyi said without much thought: “The mission location will be announced tonight before we set off. Everyone isn’t to advance the line, you will be on standby five hundred meters behind. If anything escapes, no matter what it is, shoot it dead on the spot. This is your sole duty.”

Silence fell once more, and in the passage of two minutes, Xu Yangyi had already flipped open his cell phone once again. It wasn’t until Old Zhu’s eyeballs rounded into saucers and asked: “F-Finished?”

“Are you guys hoping for the major battle strength to be a heavy firepower squad?” Xu Yangyi lifted his head with a smile that wasn’t a smile: “We’re finished. Although I really don’t want to say it to you guys, I’ll still say it. Believe me. FINITO.”***

Even until everyone left, they still felt that they were walking amidst clouds and mists.****

How would you feel if the bunny rabbit transformed into the big bad wolf in a flash?

That was their present moods.

Furthermore…… this big bad wolf’s background was too mysterious. In a minute or two, their impressions of Xu Yangyi’s character in the past two days had been overthrown in a split second.

“Vice Captain Chen……” Old Zhu pattened patted Vice Captain Chen’s shoulder from the back and said softly: “Are we…… really going  to obey him?”

Vice Captain Chen went silent for quite a while, until he grit his teeth: “We shall!”

“What he said wasn’t wrong! Compliance is our primary directive. However……” He snorted coldly: “If he screws up tonight, even if I have to pierce through the Heavens, I’m going to shank that paratrooper!”

I don’t believe there’s no law of the land in this world! I really want that big-talking showboater to fuck up! Even if I can’t eat this rice bowl, I don’t care how great his backer is, I’m going to pry him open with my bare hands!”

*柯南金田一 AKA Conan and Kindaichi. Was staring at this chinese for a while trying to figure out what it was besides giving a go at it in google. Turns out I already knew, but didn’t realize the chinese pronunciation. If you don’t know, Conan and Kindaichi are respectively two of Japan’s greatest fictional detectives. You guys probably know of Detective Conan (anime), but Kindaichi is an older Japanese detective story, rated as one of Japan’s best. If not THE best detective story in Japan.

**宇宙陆战队 - Galactic marine. Kinda had no idea what this was at first, but it seems to be a term related to starcraft. I do not like starcraft LOL. 

***Author doesn’t actually say Finito here. Instead, what he does is use capitalized english words to stress the situation. I guess that’s how people in other languages do it.

****云里雾里 = idiom meaning among clouds and mists, meaning confused. I probably could’ve localized this, but it is quite the provocative image. 

• Chapter 9: Berserker (One)

At night, half past eleven.

Three cars drove on a road leading out towards the City outskirts. Everyone was in the car with their eyes drooping without exception, their expressions solemn.

The sound of the car was extremely quiet and extremely smooth, as well. As the scenery outside the windows extended further and further to the outskirts, the buildings on either side became more and more infrequent. Everyone’s heart was filled with complex feelings.

They were really going to arrest the criminal…...

Their superiors had truly approved of it!

“Old Chen......” Old Zhu was loading up his rifle with bullets, scanning his surroundings, and said lowly: “Could it really be true…… what Captain Xu said, that he was actually requested to come? How was it that the last-minute notification was approved?”

Old Chen held a cigarette in his mouth, and because of the smoke generated, his eyes slightly narrowed. It hung at the corner of his mouth for a good while until he snorted: “I still didn’t believe it before…… but now, I really do believe it a bit. Why was our response to Chief Zheng met with ambiguity? Why isn’t the Mayor and Municipal Committee Secretary saying anything? If he was invited to come, then everything would’ve been relayed!”

“He’s not a paratrooper*?” Old Zhu pinched a bullet, still a bit reluctant to believe: “How old is he? Even if he started studying from the womb, his work background isn’t nearly as long as ours. How is this possible?”

“Whether or not it is, everything will be clear tonight.” The policewoman Qin Wanyu took a magazine and loaded her rifle with it, trembling with strength as the magazine made a screeching metallic sound, tidying it on the police uniform on her body: “If you aren’t confident, how can I be? I’ve never even heard of a brat being invited! However, it’s no use saying this now. We’ll know later on.”

After ten more minutes passed, the car stopped. As everyone of the Disciplinary and Reconnaissance Group got out of the car, they were completely stunned.

Ahead of them was an unfinished construction site. It wasn’t big at all and there weren’t any buildings in the surroundings.

The late night wind poured in from dilapidated window through the ruined corridor and drifted out from the other side, like a countless number wraiths wailing as they revolved around the building. 

It was runned-down building where not even a trace of light could be seen, nor a shred of human presence, like a tremendous creature towering in the darkness, giving people a seemingly sinister and terrifying feeling.

This wasn’t much to consider at all. The crux of the matter was the packed encirclement of people parked in front of them!

“Captain…… Captain Gao?” Vice Captain Chen was looking at a man in not so far off distance and asked in amazement: “Why have you come?”

“What, you want to stop me……” Captain Gao laughed towards the side and lifted his chin: “Take a look over there. That’s Major Zhou of the military police. Sanshui City’s three forces are also stationed here, all of the squadrons are being lead by military officers, all of them have come.”

Over a hundred men…… A wire mesh fence that not even a drop of water would be able to escape had encircled the surroundings of the run-down building!

The people of the Disciplinary and Reconnaissance Group glanced at each other simultaneously. 

Had they seen a ghost?

Was this the arrest of a criminal?

Wasn’t this using a heavy fist to strike a housefly?

Not to speak of a single criminal, even ten, twenty, no, a hundred criminals absolutely wouldn’t be able escape!

The machine guns reflected a dead appearance beneath the moonlight, black in color and deathly still, bearing a sensation that made the courage of men tremble coldly without exception. What kind of criminal required such military weaponry?

“This is fucking crazy!” The end of Old Zhu’s cigarette fell out of his mouth, and he observed the current scene in amazement, his lips trembling: “I’ve handled cases for many years…… but I’ve never seen a spectacle like this!

Layer and layer doubts arose in his heart. Who had said the criminal was here? The transfer of the entire City’s firepower, how had it passed through the City government? What criminal required so much action? Was Batman sealed off inside?**

“You don’t know? I still don’t know, too!” Captain Gao stuffily swallowed his saliva: “The order that all of Sanshui City’s army, military police, and public security have received is: in case something appears within the perimeter of a hundred meters, do not hesitate to shoot it dead on the spot at all costs. Hehe…… In the many years I’ve been a police officer, I’ve never heard of such a command!”

“Thing?” Officer Qin keenly caught onto this word and it flashed across her mind, yet she didn’t understand any of it. She only felt this command was too strange: “It’s not a…… person?”

Who fucking knew?

Vice Captain Chen and Captain Gao exchanged glances, their eyes were a blank field.

“The City government has gone muddle-headed. I heard a paratrooper came to arrogantly play conductor without any purpose.” Captain Gao waved his hand: “To move around so many people to arrest a criminal, how great is this kid’s background? This is in the fucking defiance of the heavens!” 

“Have we come to the wrong place?” A new police officer’s forehead was drenched with a cold sweat. The somber atmosphere of the present scene made him simply not dare to shout: “How about we ask the Group Leader?”

“You guys haven’t come to the wrong place.” Just as his tone of voice fell, a familiar voice rang out from behind him. Xu Yangyi walked over: “Your mission is to deal with the aftermath.”

“Captain Xu!” At this time, how was Vice Captain Chen still of mind to argue with Xu Yangyi and immediately turned his head and said: “Why have these people come?” We’re doing nothing more than arresting a killer! Who the heck are they? Captain, Captain Xu! You……”

As soon as he turned his head, his entire being was sent into a daze.

It wasn’t only him that was dazed, everyone that got a look was stunned, as well.

Xu Yangyi was standing there oh so serenely. There wasn’t anything else like it ordinarily. However…...

He was surprisingly geared in camouflage! He wasn’t wearing his police uniform!

“Captain Xu……” Old Zhu was dazed for quite a while and said trill of voice: “Your…… gun?”

“Gun?” Xu Yangyi massaged his fist and locked his slender fingers together, producing a cracking sound: “I don’t need one.”

“This…… This is the heavy firepower troops you spoke of?!” Vice Captain Chen’s voice as he pointed at the encirclement of men before him was unstable: “You transferred the entire city’s armed forces?!”

Xu Yangyi glanced at him indifferently, the corner of his mouth faintly turned upwards, yet his next words made Vice Captain Chen nearly leap!

“Stay at the place you should stay, rookie.” Xu Yangyi loosened up his shoulder and narrowed his eyes: “Special things…… should be handed over to the specialist to take care of.”

Vice Captain Chen held back a breath of air in his stomach, his lips trembled for quite a while and didn’t return to his prior expression. He only used his finger to point faltering at Xu Yangyi, his lips quivering in their entirety.

Xu Yangyi paid no heed to him and said into the microphone line he flipped over from his collar: “Ready?”

“No problems…… After you enter, I’ll activate the Big Dipper Heaven-Tail Formation immediately and isolate all visual and hearing…… I’m really looking forward to our harvest this time!” Mao Ba’er’s familiar voice rang out from the transceiver.

Xu Yangyi nodded and inhaled deeply. His gaze began to turn cautious, and he lift up his hand.

Even if his mind was more discontent, at this moment, a sound still couldn’t be heard.

The only sound left remaining was the low humming of the summer night insects. Such a deathly-still silence, a terrifying silence, a tense silence was like that of a tarsal bone maggot, slowly creeping upwards to every person’s heart.

Captain Gao’s vision flickered and raised his hand. The troops under his command wordlessly raised their rifles.

With another wave of the hand, the army soldiers on the other side raised their rifles. 

“Clip Clip Clip……” Like a silent rallying song, a sonata of firearms, the rifles were loaded.

Xu Yangyi took a long, deep breath, raising his leg and moving forwards.

His silhouette seemed to become weaker and weaker, darker and darker. In not much time, his person couldn’t be seen any longer.

“I’ve already entered the Big Dipper Heaven-Tail Formation. You can relax, pretty boy.” A strange laughter could be heard from the transceiver, yet Xu Yangyi didn’t laugh, rather he kneeled on the ground with a single knew and took out a piece of bamboo from his pocket. Inside the bamboo floated a liquid that refracted the brilliance of the moon.

“Demonslaying Crossbow? Pretty boy, you’re will to part with this capital?”

“If it weren’t for you using my money, I would’ve originally had more than a single crossbow bolt.” Xu Yangyi shook his right hand, and with a swishing noise, the camouflaged sleeve on his right-hand side crumbled apart in a flash. An exquisite, rectangular iron case was fastened on to his hand.

“Klack…… Klack!” Following a burst of light noise, a crossbow was tightly attached to his wrist. At this moment, it suddenly began to spring forth like the flapping wings of a tiercel desiring to take flight. At first, it had taken on the form of an iron case, but like a transformer, it swiftly formed an exquisite and compact crossbow!

Taking hold of the crossbow, it’s figure wasn’t different at all like the ones seen on television. However, it was carved with a kind of mysterious and arcane runes all over its body! In addition, atop the runes were flickering blue edges that made the hearts of men tremble!

On it’s flight groove, there was an arrow, simple and unadorned. The iron bolthead was already extremely mottled, it was only that the rust-worn bolthead was dressed in an even more profound talisman. 

“Are you certain the formation is without mishap?” Xu Yangyi asked once more, taking the bolthead and inserting it into the water inside the bamboo pipe without the slightest hesitation. “If the true body of the demon is seen by ordinary people, not to speak of me even graduating, it’ll be fortunate if I don’t get sentenced.” 

“Relax.”

Xu Yangyi closed his eyes and tightly pursed his lips.

This was his first demon extermination…… For all his many years of cultivation, he would finally be able to see the result today!

It was a mere psycho killer that had killed twelve people. Its spiritual force fluctuations were extremely abnormal, a madman that had dared to attack the city government. As dusk settled at the end of the day, what trash was it…...

“Let me test out the purity, alright.” Opening his eyes, they were already filled with a sinister and frigid killing intent.

A wisp of a deep blue netherworldly flame began to rage in combustion from the bolthead!

The hunting of the night wind blew, and Xu Yangyi lift his hand up reticently.

“Cricket……” Like the chime of a bell and the cry of wildlife, the night wind blew over his hand, and the strange, devilish blue flame the length of his arm whistled out, yet it absolutely didn’t die out. Dazzlingly making the moon in the sky lose its color. 

At this moment, the wind moved the clouds and the open area was brimming with killing intent.

A soundless killing intent that could cause people to tremble in silence!

With a wave of his hand, “Swoosh!” a cloud-penetrating bolt, a blue bolthead carrying an eye-dazzling blue tip loudly charged up into the sky! It’s splendor was the same as the moon!

“Hum!” The scenery of an azure rainflower with odd, bewitching flame tails dragging a meter in length came into view in the sky. From the bolt, one split into two, two split into four, and four split eight…… In the blink of an eye, the brilliant blaze seemed like the drawn outline of the trajectories of a star chart in the center of the sky, making the starry heavens lose its color.

“Whoosh Whoosh Whoosh!” The sound of a shattered sky barraged the ear without end, stony rubble pierced clouds, and raging waves beat against the shore. Streaks of bolts resplendent like shooting stars carrying long flaming tails with speeds that were simply incapable of being caught by the human eye swiftly launched towards the black-painted building.

Streaks of blue flame scars interweaved in the sky and the black clouds pulled back. Like a stratum of blue clouds tearing open the black night, the moon and stars were dim without luminance.  

Yet just at this moment, the run-down building stirred.

Like the entire building was the chasm of the devil’s box, countless black shadows suddenly bore out from the pit! In the next second…… everything caused by the bolthead had completely faded away!

The only thing remaining was the blazing curtain formed by the interweaving of the azure flame that colored the entire sky.

In that split second, Xu Yangyi’s expression finally turned grave.

His eyes had long ago shot out in that split second, metamorphosing into a red color, taking in the shadow between that flash of time, capturing it entirely within his eyes. 

Numerous black shadows…… Shadows that completely engulfed all of the flames; they were……. serpents.

An endless figure of black serpents shot out like lightning from the runned-down building and then retreated monstrously once more. It seemed the inside had already become the nest of a myriad serpents! 

*Literally “Isn’t airborne?” I guess paratroopers in China are serious business

**蝙蝠侠 = this is what the Chinese call Batman, folks. Literally: Bat Hero

• XTBXTB
    edited November 17
    Chapter 10: Berserker (Two)

“Swish……” He disrobed himself of his coat and folded it neatly, placing it on the ground.

As he stretched out and loosened up his neck and wrists, cracking sounds echoed out.

“This is Berserker Syndrome.” Xu Yangyi’s upper body leaned lowly, the moonlight shedding upon it. His muscle wasn’t developed, yet it was tight and delicate, possessing an astonishing explosive force. His posture was like that of a hunting cheetah, his ears like that of a wild beast were slightly trembling as they caught onto every sound in his surrounding, the blowing of the wind and the gentle swaying of the grass.

Each one of his nerves stretched out to the extreme. Not only was this his graduation exam’s final subject, moreover it was the first genuine demon he had confronted—it wasn’t one of those Form Transformation demons, but rather a berserker that was unable to assume human form any more!

Berserker Syndrome, for some demons, occurred as they were on death’s door and were unable to make a breakthrough. This kind of resentment would lead to it madly hating humans, believing them to have squeezed down upon its room for survival. Its body was no longer capable of sustaining a mutually corresponding human form, rather it had transformed step by step into its most primal demon form, ultimately completing its demonification.

During the course of these events, it would become more and more addicted to killing, more and more ruthless, and then at the moment as it fully finished its demonification, its hatred towards human would arrive at its zenith! A raging carnage would unfold!

No matter whether it was a human or demon, due to its Berserker Syndrome, it had to kill! Their existence already threatened the fragile bonds between humans and demons.

Suddenly, a penetrating, void-shattering sound mixed with low hissing traveled across five hundred meters! Like that of a sharpened arrow that had left its bow string! Carrying a bright red color and with a speed that humans simply wouldn’t be able to react to, it broke across the sky!

Xu Yangyi’s gaze unexpectedly saucered, twisting towards his left side in a conditioned reflex.

“Boom……” A noise echoed heavily, like a tremendous fist had hammered the ground. At this moment, everyone on the outside was stunned.

“Old Qin…… You felt that?” Vice Captain Chen asked the policewoman suspiciously: “Just a moment ago…… the ground quaked?”

As if they were being separated by a gigantic glass screen, they simply couldn’t hear the sound coming from the inside. Moreover, they couldn’t observe the scene inside, however, the heavy feeling of the surface of the ground passed on to their bodies.

“It’s like……” Officer Qin furrowed her brows; what had happened? The ground was suddenly shaking?

Within the “glass”, the ground at Xu Yangyi’s side was already inundated with many half-a-meter-sized holes!

The clothes that he had placed there had long vanished into thin air!

in midair, a blood-red shadow was in the midst of an explosive retreat. He simply didn’t consider it as his two legs trudged forward, his entire being rushing forward like a sharpened arrow leaving its bow string!

“Huff!” Like a fired artillery shell, the grass at the side of his foot dispersed in a great ring with him in the eye of it.

A leap of over a dozen meters in distance! Up in the air, the red shadow and he, the black shadow, were like chasing stars overtaking the moon! He unwaveringly stared down the shadow retreating at lightning speed, and both of his hands suddenly clawed out, capturing the tip of the red shadow!

“Hiss!” Soon after, a sharp hiss cried out. He was like an enormous stone carving, falling down from midair to the ground with the weight of a thousand catties*. “Boom!” The ground was covered with dust, fluttering about in the manner of a shock wave with him as nucleus of it!

The night wind blew forth, brushing away at the misty dust.

It was an enormous tongue.

Covered in nauseating yellow saliva, the meat of the tongue was red in color.

One end wasn’t within the building. It wasn’t known when, but many gigantic holes had already appeared on the building, the thing inside refracting the rays of the moon. At the back of its tongue, the ragged clothes were rolled up in a pile, yet Xu Yangyi had firmly pulled the tip of it like a tug-of-war in his original location. 

With a single hand pulling at where he stood, the blue veins on his hand began to reveal themselves, every muscle and vein clearly visible. His legs had already dug out a ravine several meters in length on the ground! Already, its depth went so far as to the side of his feet that it couldn’t be seen!

Pure strength, bodily strength, this was a maneater’s most terrible aspect! A demon’s body was much more powerful than that of a human's!**

“A competition of strength?” A cold light flashed at the back of his eyes: “That’s really unfortunate, my strength isn’t minor, either.”

Both of his hands oddly revealed a series of runes. Immediately following, his muscles from top to bottom expanded like they were filled with ear. From his stature of 1.8 meters he transformed into a giant exceeding over two meters!

“Solution Ninety-Five —— Dragon Biting!”

The spiritual energy of his entire body coalesced in his hand, and a seemingly-real, simple, unembellished blade of quasi-fantasy surprisingly appeared. He suddenly chopped down with it!

“Hiss!” Just as the seemingly illusory, ethereal blade was about to touch its tongue, a blood-curdling screech followed in its wake with four blood florets! The tongue that was no less than the thickness of a man had been severed from inside like a taut bow! 

In the next second, the entire ground began to tremble!

Xu Yangyi rigidly fixed his eyes on the enormous body of the demon beneath his foot. He knew that the body of the demon at the top of the pharmaceutical corporation building was no less than thirty to forty meters in radius. This one…… nevertheless, the body of this berserk demon was absolutely not any smaller!

It…… was on the cusp of revealing itself!

“Bang!”

Like the eruption of an underground fountain, the ground at the side of his body suddenly burst open!

Immediately following, it didn’t stop at a single section, but rather countless parts! Like a limitless number of fountains buried beneath the ground, “Boom! Boom! Boom!”, everything ruptured forth!

Sand stretched out across the entire sky, yellow grains like night-time clouds and mists, and even the moon had lost its color in its entirety.

“My god! What is this?!”

“What’s happened!” 

“Earthquake?! Earthquake!”

Vice Captain Chen looked around at his surrounding in amazement; the ground was obviously shaking! He had begun to believe it was of his own misconception, but in the next second, he found it wasn’t so!

“Ka Thunk!” At his side, the cup of water had had put on the hood of the Disciplinary and Reconnaissance Group’s car had already spilled over in this moment!

Everyone hefted their rifles at command. In this moment, not a single person was still standing steadily! It seemed like there was a gigantic creature beneath the ground just about to bore out of the surface of the earth, like it was charging out!

Officer Qin supported herself against a car in astonishment. The tremors beneath her feet were far too intense, however, just at the moment she managed to stand firm a bit, her eyes suddenly began to sharpen!

“My…… god……” She listlessly looked ahead of herself. There weren’t any changes with the pitch-black run-down building. However…...

It just didn’t have a single trace of variation!

This earthquake, so abrupt and so fierce, had caused something to flash! A soldier holding his gun wasn’t even able to grasp onto his rifle! Yet it hadn’t sparked off!

As if it hung suspended in the middle of a crystal ball, the area all around the building trembled. In comparison to the motionless building though, it was simply far too inharmonious!

“Old Qin! Old Qin!” Old Zhu approached and tugged at her, yet he was brushed away by her hand.

“What’s happened to you!” Old Zhu worriedly pressed down on her shoulder in restraint: “Crouch down quickly! Don’t you know it’s an earthquake!”

Officer Qin appeared to have completely not sensed such a thing. She only looked at the seemingly static building, her lips trembling.

“Is this…… sorcery?”

Within the Big Dipper Heaven-Tail Formation, the ground was already covered in sand, and gravel and stone concealed the sun.

Sandy gravel, wind, and air formed a cloud, and in the center of it was a tremendous shadow in the manner of that of an elevated heavenly pillar, like a dragon could be seen in the fog, calmly towering within.

It was a serpent.

A tremendous serpent, a black serpent like the blackness of death. Its skull was three to four meters in size, its sapphire eyes were pervaded by a layer of abnormal red, and its gigantic maw was like an abyss. In the midst of the sand-filled sky, its two eyes were like enormous blue searchlights, carrying a deathly-still gaze as it looked at everyone. 

Its length could not be reckoned, its height could not be distinguished, and its thickness could not be discerned.

Without end in such a way…… on top of the all the surrounding ruptured ground, there were also more than a hundred little serpents. Even to speak of the smallest one, it possessed the thickness of the waist of a man. Nevertheless, they fundamentally were incapable of being compared to the tremendous serpent that was approximately as thick as a room!

Standing in front of it in contrast, Xu Yangi was like an ant standing across from a tree.

“Swish!” The head of the serpent slowly raised upwards accompanied by the sound of a long hiss. The monstrously-strange tremendous serpent raised its head, bathing under the moonlight, it enveloped Xu Yangyi in darkness, generating a heaven and earth shaking cry!

“Hiss!!!”

In the next second, its gigantic body, yet like that of black lightning, suddenly charged ahead towards a location several tens of meters in front of it!

Simultaneously, the hundred plus little serpents were like a prison cell, filling the sky with the sound of hissing, raising a strong, repulsive fishy wind, and desiring in same to go forth in bursts!

There, exactly where Xu Yangyi was situated!

“Boom…… Boom! Boooom!” The sound of the ground shattering in uninterrupted succession made everyone who heard scalps turn numb!

“Boom…… Boom……” Outside the formation, Old Zhu sat on the ground, watching the car at the side suddenly “jump” just as he wiped his sweat away.

Very light, rather heavy, awfully oppressive, and quite subtle. It was like in Jurassic Park, the car jumped in the same manner as the Tyrannosaurus Rex stomped on the ground. 

The corners of his eyes jumped immediately afterwards.

Following adjacently…...

The entire ground had already begun to tremble crazily! The intensity was several tens of times greater than the tremors from a moment ago!

“Merciful heavens!” Captain Gao supported himself uncertainly against the car in a state of fright: “Earthquake! Earthquake!”

“Damn!” Vice Captain Chen only had time to let loose a screech, the violent tremors made both his legs go soft, and he fell down on the ground, landing flat on his butt!

“What the heck is happening!” He grit his teeth rigidly. Should they retreat? Should he sound the call? The captain still hadn’t come out, however…...

Such violent tremors, it could be an earthquake greater than a five on the richter scale!  Furthermore…… he kept on having a kind of unusual feeling. This earthquake…… was right below his feet!

“Captain! What’re we doing!” 

“Instructor, what are we doing now?” 

“Why is there an earthquake all of a sudden?” 

“What the heck happened?”

Cries of alarm rose and fell in succession, there wasn’t any person that knew; what on earth was going on? How was it so sudden that there were such violent tremors?

Even more, there wasn’t a person that saw…… the inside of the Big Dipper Heaven-Tail Formation. Or of the sound of over a hundred pythons slamming against the floor, their wretched shrieks went unheard and so did the sound of their biting. There was only the oppressive sound of the ground being battered like that of the beating of a drum, smashing the floor, pounding into the ground once more, and the pitter patter of shattered earth!

An ocean of serpents rushed forth like they were attacking a mouse, biting…… If someone was placed in the midst of this, they would certainly be torn to pieces!

“Swish!” It was no less than over a dozen minutes until the surging tsunami halted. In the center, a blood-drenched figure was standing straight among it.

Xu Yangyi’s two hands protected the vital points of his entire body. At this moment, he had finally been taken hold of.

He swung his shoulder. Making a hacking noise as he twisted his neck once more, the sound of cracking echoed out.

He had a smile on his face as always, merely, the corner of his smile carried a blood-thirsty icy coldness.

“Initial stage Qi Condensation…… Truly strange……” He pressed down on his leg unconsciously: “Your might is rather excessive. I had thought I would be severely injured…… How could you be so weak?”

“Berserker syndrome coupled with the transformation of your most primal demon form should’ve raised your boundary at the very least by two minor stages. Even if you are at the initial stage, shouldn’t you be at least at the late stage right now?”

“Not only are you weak, your strength fluctuations are moreover too great…… It shouldn’t be, no? He laughed, rubbing his pallid chin: “Has the sea of essence within your body fallen into ruins? And has your willpower been swept away?”

The tremendous serpent’s eyes unwaveringly locked onto Xu Yangyi. Over the course of their exchange of blows a moment ago, it didn’t have much of a remaining consciousness to tell him, but the smiling in front of him was quite strong…… extremely strong! 

It was correct that it shouldn’t have been so weak! It was right that it should’ve torn Xu Yangyi to pieces moments ago!

“You’re afraid.” Xu Yangyi slowly walked over, smiling as always: “A problem has arisen from your body. Perhaps you didn’t take the initiative at all to lose yourself and become a maneater…… Forget about it, it's not important.”

Just as his tone of voice fell, already like a sharpened arrow that had left its bow, he charged forth, facing towards the head of the serpent!

“Solution Ninety-Nine. Tiger Crane!"

*A catty is a term of measurement often seen in Chinese novels. From what I researched a catty is roughly half a kilogram, perhaps a little bit more, making it roughly one pound~. In other novels, you may see this unit of measure unlocalized as jin. 

**异食癖 - maneater. Literally: “different eating habit” I figure maneater works best in this context.

• Chapter 11: Earthburst Golden Lotus (One)

He leapt several meters high, however, just as he neared his old strength, boths his arms evenly unfolded like the shining wings of a white crane. Following after, he suddenly pressed downwards, surprisingly ascending several more meters once again!

“Skraw!” The sound of a crane cried out, resonating over the entire setting!

“Crack!” In the next second, Xu Yangyi’s hand suddenly caught on to the other’s jet-black, shimmering scale. Soon after he grabbed it, a rain of fishy, repulsive blood sprayed out high in the air!

The seemingly steel-like scale had surprisingly been torn apart bare handed! Accompanied by the shredded scale was a gushing torrent of fresh blood like the scattering of rainflowers!

“Hiiiissssss!!” A long heaven-shaking cry produced a formless sound wave that caused the sand on the ground to flying! Like that of the blowing of a small-scale sandstorm!

Already at this moment, the blue veins on both of Xu Yangyi’s hands were completely exposed, his five fingers were like the five claws of a beast! As long as one was met with it, their flesh would be immediately torn asunder! He was like a miniature drilling machine, boring a path through the tremendous serpent’s body!

“Go up twenty meters, that’s where its weak point is.” Within his ear, Mao Ba’er’s voice continued to relay: “Its spiritual energy is changing there! It’s also where the Serpent Eye Monster’s heart is!”*

Xu Yangyi turned a deaf ear; at this moment, he was like a tiger running along the serpent’s back, one claw, one leg, completely ripping up wounds upon wounds that weren’t of a minor severity. As for him, following these wounds, he used his fastest speed to charge twenty meters outside!

“Whoosh!” Just at this time, a snow-white bony spur suddenly emerged out of the serpent’s back, bringing with it blood that colored the sky, skewering his hand! 

The opponent was also fighting with every ounce of its being!

Obviously, the remaining consciousness it possessed told it that this man absolutely held the strength to break through its defenses. At the current moment, its gargantuan body and the tremendous power brought with it wasn’t of the slightest use; the opponent was like a hornet, ruthlessly drilling great holes in its vitals!

Life or death was just twenty meters! Xu Yangyi wanted to rush forth and slay his foe; the other had to expel him out within these twenty meters of flesh no matter the consequence, as well!

“Thump…… Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump!” The countless sounds of punctured flesh echoed and was accompanied by the furious roar of the tremendous serpent, resonating throughout the heavens and earth. In these twenty meters, an incalculable number of bone spurs, large and small, sprouted from the tremendous serpent’s punctured flesh, causing it to turn a gigantic hedgehog! The twenty meters had become a path of blood-dyed of bramble and thorn!

These were its bones that had pierced out in reverse. Life or death, it was within these twenty meters!

“Crack!” Xu Yangyi watched as the serpent’s back became covered in bony ridges and spurs within a second. The other party was also considerably decisive, even if it had lost its mind and granted that a major, unknown condition had occurred with its body, however…… possibly in its capacity as a demon, and it living properly to a grand old age in a complicated world of human-demon coexistence, it absolutely wasn’t a novice.

He exerted all of his might, forcefully twisting off the bone spur, not retreating, but instead advancing, his speed rising in another level once again! Like a train racing out towards the serpent’s head!

The bone spurs were seemingly alive, becoming sharper and more compressed, cutting his body like a blade as he took a step forward. With an unceasing number of bone spurs entering his flesh, thighs, and arms, both his hands obstructed his head, and he murmured out of his mouth: “Solution Ninety……”

“Pretty boy! Are you insane!” The tone not yet falling, the surprised voice could be heard from the transceiver: “The Hundred Solutions, it’s the sole spirit ability that a student of Heaven’s Law that hasn’t graduated yet can learn! The lower the number, the greater the might! If I haven’t remembered incorrectly, Solution Ninety is already the limit of what a student that hasn’t graduated can learn! You’re going to use too much force! The burden on your body will be too great, as well!”

“You’ll lose your life!”

Xu Yangyi turned a deaf ear towards the voice coming from the transceiver. At this moment, the veins of his entire body seemed to come alive! Twisting, they interweaved in his whole body into a strange design!

A Qilin!**

A Qilin birthed by the sacrifice of his bodily flesh!

It was simply like a tattoo!

The design was formed in that second, and his entire body suddenly erupted in a burst of scarlet radiance like a moving fireball, shattering the bony spurs and ridges up ahead with a bang!

“Crack! Crack! Crack!” In the air, the blood-dyed bone spurs rained down like a shower of flowers. Beneath moonlight, the flaming ball of fire swiftly charged exuberantly towards the top of the tremendous serpent's head. If anyone saw this scene, it was guaranteed they wouldn’t be able to shout!

“Hiss!” An incomparably sharp hiss cried out; life or death in an instant, the realms of both sides weren’t high, and their hidden aces weren’t many. The tremendous serpent’s giant eyes flashed, the shadow of death was facing towards it, rapidly approaching. Followed by a furious roar, its entire body began to roll like a wheel!

“Rumble Rumble Rumble……” The surface of the earth slightly trembled like an earthquake of no minor strength was in the middle of being experienced!

However, after a mere three seconds, it stopped. The scales of its whole body, like armor, clankingly began to tremble. 

It was a frightening trembling, trembling like the god of death standing atop its head.

A hand, a human hand, a powerful hand, one that was slaked with blood, was already pressing down precisely on top of its Achilles heel. 

Beneath moonlight, Xu Yangyi was covered in bone spurs, having truly become a hedgehog. The pit of his stomach slightly heaved up and down, and he was covered in fresh blood from head to toe, towering over the tremendous serpent’s vitals. 

The fishy taste of blood was strong…… He licked his lips, letting a portion of the scorching liquid incense his calm arteries, bringing the fishy taste to flow down his throat.

Its blood…… This was its flavor…… This was his final resort as he lifted his hand ahead.

“Solution Ninety-One……”

“Severing Dragon Typhoon!”

“Swish!”

Between heaven and earth, a streak of reclusive light flashed, appearing like a flash of eminence at midnight and like that of a crack of thunder in the sky. At this moment, be it moonlight or starlight, both simultaneously lost color. Everyone’s sight was completely gathered on the flashing and waning of the scintillating rays above.***

An instant of magnificence.****

Only a momentary resplendence, illusory that it made people feel it wasn’t real.

Xu Yangyi half-squatted on the floor, his left hand faintly trembling. In that sudden space of time, the arteries of his left hand abruptly burst open, and an arrow of blood fiercely spurted out from his veins.

“Boom!” Behind him, a tremendous sound echoed, and dust flew upward. Half of the tremendous serpent’s body that was the size of the room and over a dozen meters in length, followed by an explosion of dust in the air, fell down behind him.

His strength from hair to toe ebbed away like a tide of water. Every single one of his bones were clamoring in an overload of pain. However, at this time, a sharp voice suddenly could be heard from the transceiver: “Pretty boy! Watch out!”

In the place where the tremendous serpent had been bisected, a red light that was brilliant to the eyes spilled forth! Like a sun rising amidst darkness!

“Crash! Boom! Bang!” All around, there was a fit of shattered and fragmented sound, and Xu Yangyi roared terribly!

It was the sound of the Big Dipper Heaven-Tail Formation breaking apart!

This streak of devilish red light directly sundered open the Big Dipper Heaven-Tail Formation in a quake! Moreover, it was coming straight for him!

It was quite slender…… At least in comparison to the corpse of the tremendous serpent and approximately only the thickness of an arm; It was directly zoning in on Xu Yangyi’s heart!

However…… he was simply unable to move!

The streak of red light was such that it couldn’t be said to be red light. His vision was only on that last moment, and all the strength of his body and spiritual energy disappeared in an instant!

“Mao Ba’er!” He bellowed furiously, a sharp voice could be heard immediately from the transceiver: “Understood!”

The Big Dipper Heaven-Tail Formation had gradually shattered in an instant, and the corpse of the tremendous serpent had vanished in a blink!

“Fuck……” Xu Yangyi fiercely grinded his teeth, the hell you understand!

He wanted the other to think up of a method, yet the first thing the other did was stow away the spoils of war!

He hadn’t finished speaking his words at all, because at that moment, an even stranger scene occurred!

“Sha Thunk……” A gently-swaying golden lotus slowly sprouted from the ground. It was sparkling and translucent; pure and limpid.  Cloudy mists wound around it, making it appear as if it existed in another world, another dimension.

It was like a hidden orchid in an empty valley, splendid and beautiful, blooming beneath the moonlight!

The second flower…… the third flower…… the fourth…… countless flowers!

Xu Yangyi was instantly surrounded by an immeasurable number of golden lotuses all around him! He was like a saint walking among golden lotuses!

“Earth…… Earthburst Golden Lotus?!” Mao Ba’er yelled. If what he had just said a moment ago was a screech, then his current shouting at this moment could be considered to have torn his heart out and cracked his lungs wide: “Pretty boy! Get out! Get out now! If these things hit you dead center, you’ll be fucking screwed!”*****

The red light shone upon Xu Yangyi’s bitterly smiling face.

Get out?

At this moment, it was like he being locked in place. Even if he wanted to move, he couldn’t.

“Bang!” In the next second, he felt as if his stomach had been met with a heavy fist! His surroundings turned dark in front of him, and he was simply unable to control the frantic spraying of a mouthful of blood. His whole body went flying four to five meters! Struck flying like a tattered sack, landing heavily on the ground once again.

His dizziness didn’t pass until he saw four to five seconds of the moon, and then he hopped back up immediately. His first matter of business was to touch his stomach.

Setting his hand on the outside, he only felt solid muscle. Surprisingly, there wasn’t a trace of a scar!

This is……” He lowered his head to take a look, and his gaze suddenly tensed.

On the pit of his stomach, there was a fist-sized black lotus. It unknown when, but it had already branded itself onto his stomach.

“Are…… Are you alright?” Mao Ba’er’s suspicious, uncertain voice rang out in his earpiece.

Xu Yangyi shut his eyes and sensed his entire body, shaking his head in confirmation.

No one said anything. Within his and Mao Ba’er’s hearts were a myriad lingering suspicions.

That thing, that streak of light…… was more frightening than any creature they had understood from a book in the past. A person’s first reaction upon running into danger was to escape, yet that streak of light had simply “rejected” his “thought” of evasion!”

Speak of light and there will be light. This was more like a kind of “intrinsic” law of the world, like Newton’s Law of Universal Gravitation. The earth had its own intrinsic attraction; this streak of light had it’s own intrinsic law that made people incapable of dodging it.

However, being struck by it, Xu Yanyi was without the slightest of wounds!

Of the black lotus on his stomach, not only was it not devilish, on the contrary, it revealed its own kind of mysterious charm, similar to that of an ornate tattoo.

Xu Yangyi didn’t lower his guard in the slightest. Its appearance was too strange, and there wasn’t any justification for it to speak.

“Crunch……” All of a sudden, a soft sound entered his ears, like he had first awoken from a dream, he immediately look over.

As far as his vision stretched, he was yet stunned for a moment once again.

Just a moment ago, the cobblestone path and lawn were devoid of any living things, but now…...

It had already become filled with lotuses!

Wilted lotuses, it was true, not false.They absolutely hadn’t withered moments ago, rather they had already eroded in the wind. In a touch, they had transformed in floating, dried-up yellow pool.

The sound was that of a person stepping on the ground covered in dried-up lotuses.

His vision flashed and he recalled that not only had the streak of light branded a strange pattern on his stomach a moment ago, it had also…… even broken through the Big Dipper Heaven-Tail Formation!

The corpse of the tremendous serpent had been swiftly collected by Mao Ba’er as a spoil of war. He didn’t see it, however…...

Wasn’t the current desolation that filled the eyes like that of the gigantic craters on the surface of the moon?

And as for the sudden advent of the field covered in withered lotuses?

Silence, a silence like that of death.

“Ka Thunk……” It wasn’t known whose rifle fell on the ground, since no one cared for it, but Xu Yangyi had seen it clearly. It was a second-year soldier with two yellow bars on his shoulder. Presently, he was looking at the current scene incredulously, saying in a daze: “My…… god…....”

Afterwards, there wasn’t a sound again.

It wasn’t that he wanted to say something, but rather the current scene was so simply shocking that not a person could say a word.

* This doesn’t actually say weak point.The exact wording is 七寸, meaning seven inches. I was kinda confused at first, but this word is used to describe the weak points of snakes (the position of their hearts and where to hit) and later on, a more general term for just the weak point of any creature. I thought you guys would find it interesting. 

** Qilin - this is a chinese unicorn pretty much. Search Qilin for better representation.

*** 昙花. Now I’m not actually sure about this translation. As it is, this word refers to a flower known as “The Queen of the Night” and “The Dutchman’s Pipe”. However, in Chinese, it is used to refer to a person who makes sudden unexpected gains in a momentary period of time, which is then often chalked up to luck.

****刹那芳华 - flash of eminence - an instant of youth more like it. Used often to refer to the fleeting beauty of women as they were young.

***** Earthburst Golden Lotus is actually a real flower LOL. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ensete_lasiocarpum I thought it was made up, but found out it was real…...
  • Chapter 12: Earthburst Golden Lotus (Two)

Like a meteor had devastated the landscape…… the soaring streak of red light a moment ago…… had suddenly revealed in front of everyone their blood-drenched captain….. and a ground covered in wilted lotuses.

All words, upon taking everything in an instant, had lost their original function.

Stunned. Besides being stunned, they were also shocked.

Unimaginable…… Apart from unimaginable, it was also outrageous.

“This…… The heck is this……” Vice Captain Chen observed everything before his eyes, not daring to believe. What on earth had happened? What had just occurred moments ago? Even a moron would also be able to see that the violent earthquake had occurred from a terrible blow to the ground by an unknown object. Now that the holes of all shapes and sizes could be seen on the ground, everything could be explained for.

What on Earth had happened?

What was the thing that had struck the ground?

Was there such an organism on earth?

This…… was a serial killer?

Even a blind person could see it; a bloody battle had just been staged here moments ago, however…… Where was Captain Xu’s opponent?!

Countless questions lingered on their mind, but suddenly, a voice echoed out. Captain Gao said in a trembling voice directed into his megaphone: “Everyone…… b-besides people in charge, d-depart immediately…… This is an order!”

There were several parties in charge: the army’s three lieutenant colonels, Vice Captain Chen, and Captain Gao, yet all of them agreed by chance in walking towards Xu Yangi’s direction.

This was because…… there was a tremendous, ten-meter-deep crater over at the side! It was simply too eye-catching to be ignored!

Their footsteps were soundless as they walked over to the side of the crater. Of the several people, they traded looks with each other. They listlessly looked at the crater once more, unable to say a single word.

“C-Captain Xu……” It wasn’t known how much time had passed until Vice Captain Chen suddenly turned his head, gazing at Xu Yangyi with fiery eyes and said trilly: “J-Just now, what the heck happened?”

“What was up with that streak of red light?”

“How did these lotus leaves come about?”

“How did this crater come about?”

“Where’s the criminal? How did sir handle the criminal?”

Too many questions. The rise of the first question was like a opening of the floodgates, frantically spilling out. The other several people no longer spoke, as well, only their heated gazes made manifest were fixed onto Xu Yangyi.

Already, science was incapable of an explanation…… They didn’t dare to think of it, didn’t dare go in the direction that was as immeasurable as gods and devils…… Why hadn’t they seen a single creature in front of them a moment ago, but in the second, like a rehashed, edited video, how was it that so many things had suddenly appeared?

No one could explain it, besides the man in front of them…… He was simply like the sole witness in a legend. Within their hearts, everyone was curiously waiting for him to open his mouth.

However, Xu Yangyi simply didn’t plan to explain it and sat down to treat his injuries: “Mao Ba’er, come out and clean up.”

The muscles on everyone’s faces slightly cramped.

The heck’s up with you, why don’t you say something, alright!

One couldn’t use the excuse of hunting after a criminal to explain this kind of scene anymore, right?! With so many eyes fixed on you helplessly, you got the nerve to pretend there’s no one else around and treat your injuries!

“Did you cause this?” Finally, Old Zhu couldn’t bear it any longer and asked.

This ought to have been the case…… The only person here was him…… however…...

Was he still a goddamn human!

Could a human cause these kinds of earthly alterations?

Was a human capable of changing it with this kind of world-terrifying sorcery?

“Yes.” Xu Yangyi swept his eyes over, clear and cut to the point. In fact, his scars weren’t serious; it was the bone spurs that had pierced into his body that were rather hard to resolve. Presently, he was like a hedgehog, pulling out that which couldn’t be pulled out, as well, only using his muscle to clamp tightly on the bone spurs.

A single word seemed to have flipped on some switch. Everyone looked at each in dismay, every single eye conveying the same information: this couldn’t be true! Absolutely everything was a dream tonight! However, not a single person came out and said it; the present scene was silently dreadful. 

“C-Captain Xu…… R-Really, it was you?” Several seconds later, Vice Captain Chen’s voice floated over the word Captain Xu. This was the first time he had called out to him in true heartfelt sincerity.

Not replying, Xu Yangyi pulled out the short bone spurs neither urgently nor slowly. The drawing of each one brought with it dark-red blood, and his stomach revealed a good few bone spurs on the outside that were thirty to forty centimeters long that he didn’t dare to touch. However, the current scene nevertheless formed a kind of strange harmony.

“Captain Xu…… uhh, w-what is that on your body?” No one felt that he was insulting them. Once another minute passed, Captain Gao swallowed mouthful of saliva down his throat and asked.

“Phew……” Pulling out the final minor bone spur, Xu Yangyi furrowed his brows and said: “Mao Ba’er? Get to work.”

“Boo hoo boo hoo……” The sound of weeping could be heard from inside the car. Afterwards, the complexion of everyone’s faces began to turn odd.

A pudgy husky, no less than half the size of a man, was shifting on its fat behind and was using its paws like a human to wipe its eyes. Its right hand, no…… Its right paw held onto a laptop, dawdling out of the car with difficulty.

“C-Captain Xu……” Old Zhu was the first who couldn’t contain herself: “You just said a moment ago it's named……”

“Mao, Mao Ba’er.” Xu Yangyi laughed, tacking on a line: “My assistant. My unit is rather bizarre; combat members need to have a supervising agent. He’s…… not bad.”*

Where on earth was this tamagotchi a cat?!**

Have you ever laid your eyes on a cat wearing a husky’s fur?!

What were you saying it wasn’t even bad? This was bizarre!

If it weren’t for the strange scene in front of them, everyone would be currently shrieking in fear. However, everyone only used a bewildered gaze presently to size up the husky that could talk — one of the internet’s Three Great Moe Mascots, along with the equally famous raccoon and Japanese Shiba Inu.***

It couldn’t be helped to say…… Captain Xu’s interests were somewhat peculiar…… The implications of a young married woman raising a big dog was often heard, but when did young men like to raise big dogs, as well…...

“Pretty boy…… You actually added ‘Deliver Me’ to the playlist…… It’s too touching…… Too sorrowful….. I-I listened to it and cried…..” The husky that could speak human words, Mao Ba’er, waddled over and set down his laptop, sobbing: “It deserves to the be one of the Three Great Forbidden Songs that drives humans to death upon hearing it…… Not only humans, even dogs can weep upon listening to it…… and meet a similar sadness……”****

Everyone took a double take. Meeting a similar sadness…… To see a similar death, associate it with your own future ending, and feel the sorrow?

Who was similar to you!

“Mao Ba’er.” Xu Yangyi shouted out neither slowly nor hurriedly. 

The husky trembled from tail to snout, using both its paws to immediately flip open the computer and began to type at it clickity-clack. Soon after, he looked at the computer for no less than three seconds and subsequently wailed to the heavens and banged his head on the ground, beginning to weep bitterly.

“Boohoo Boohoo…… Heavens…… I can’t go on! Boohoo Boohoo…… Woof! Woof Woof!”

Among the flurry of emotion, it was plain to see that the other’s sorrowful mood at the moment was clear as the sun and moon.

“The serpent bones are unable to be appraised. They were completely ruined by you.” Mao Ba’er fixed Xu Yangyi with a secretly bitter look. In everyone’s frightened gaze, it was like a man beginning to establish himself using an incomparably righteous and strict tone of voice, pressing his paw on Xu Yangyi’s stomach: “How many times have I told you! Every time before we capture a demon, you need to avoid injuring your precious place! Otherwise, where are you going to get the money to buy cultivation supplies! Woof! I haven’t had any income for a month straight because of your bone-deep mad destruction and because you keep ending up like this!”

It was a scene brimming full of an indescribable strangeness and sentiment. A big husky with one back paw stepping on the computer, the other back paw planted on the ground, a front paw rest on its hips, and the other front paw forcefully pressed on Xu Yangyi’s stomach. With his spittle flying and tongue lashing about, it was obvious that a straight month without income really made the fellow husky aggrieved, such to the extent that he had erupted with such a powerful fighting strength.

“The serpent’s gall is estimated to be worth a few bucks, but this is a berserker! Don’t you know what a berserker is! The purest demon form! The price comparison to ordinary demon bodies is over three times in value! For example, you could hand over a portion of this glorious snake skin for a luxury brand good at least over 200 thousand big ones! But now!”

“It wrecked itself. Perhaps it liked playing the masochist.” Xu Yangyi lazily sat down in the car and lit a cigarette, taking a deep drag out of it.

He pulled out a bone spur stuck in his back by pulling it out with the corner of his mouth by bracing his core.

“This isn’t important! This is only the details!” A fire burned within Mao Bao’ers two eyes, and he bit onto Xu Yangyi’s hand. The crackling fire in his eyes was made audible: “The important point is…… the last technique you used to kill it was Solution Ninety-One! It’s demon core is completely fragmented! I’ve scanned it three times already! We won’t be able to sell a single cent of it!

“Xu Yangyi swept his eyes over at Mao Ba’er indifferently for a moment: “Let go of my hand…… No, stop biting me.”

“Hmph!” The husky flung his head back adorably defying.*****

“Okay, next time, I’ll remember to be a bit more gentle.” Xu Yangyi kneaded his temples: “Let’s handle official business first.”

“Remember your promise!” Mao Ba’er let go of Xu Yangyi’s hand and lapped at it.

Upon seeing Xu Yangyi’s gaze, he immediately supplemented: “The saliva will heal minor wounds.”

Xu Yangyi puffed out a cloud of smoke and raised his middle finger.

In spite of speech and in spite of action. Mao Ba’er stretched out his neck and everyone saw a golden bell hanging from it.

“Ting-a-ling……” A faint ringing sound echoed out, and everyone present felt that their eyelids had suddenly become a thousand catties heavier. No less than five seconds later, all of them gently fell on the ground, the sound of snoring filling the air.

“You sure they won’t remember?” Xu Yangyi gazed at the roof of the car, his eyelids beginning to turn heavy, as well. Painful waves of throbbing pressure began to flood his bones. At the beginning, it was only a slightly dull pain, but not even before three seconds had passed, it was like someone was using countless hammers to smash into everyone of his bones. A true pain that bore into his bone marrow!

It didn’t stop there…… Even the sea of essence within his dantian was turning in a fit of sudden sharp pain, as well.

His eyelids became heavier and heavier, and before he shut them once more, he saw an adorably cute face and a slobbering tongue that made him disgusted.

You got guts…..

When he woke up once more, he didn’t know for how long he had slept. He discovered he was lying down in the hospital.

“Don’t move……” A paw accurately pressed down upon his wound. Maliciously using a bit of power, Mao Ba’er’s crude smiling face hazily emerged before him: “You’ve been in a coma for twelve days. This is Sanshui City’s top People’s Hospital. Do you feel that whatever you see is especially hazy right now? Doesn’t it also appear like I have a kind of indistinct Mona Lisa-esque beauty?” 

Xu Yangyi didn’t know whether the academy branch that that originally sent him such a reject had a brain or not.

“Water……” He roughly lifted his hand, and a cup was immediately placed at his side.

Just as Xu Yangyi was about to drink, he suddenly locked his eyes on Mao Ba’er, enduring with great difficulty the scalding pain of his throat: “What did you give me?”

Mao Ba’er carried the cup in his mouth and took it to the other side in a routine fashion. Afterwards, he flashed his adorable eyes at Xu Yangyi, looking for praise.

Why was it that an indescribable killing intent had come about in his heart?

Under Xu Yangyi’s ice-cold  gaze, Mao Ba’er lowered his head and stood up, using both his paws to pour a glass of water once again and muttered in discontent: “I’m going to sue you for racial discrimination……”

“Hehe…...” Xu Yangyi was ultimately unable to restrain his grim laugh from slipping through.

After he rested for half an hour…...

“Swish……” 

“Woof! Woof, Woof!” 

“Bang!”

A husky was suddenly thrown out of the intensive care unit, and the door immediately closed shut. Soon after, the weredog stood up and began to frantically slam the door.

“Pretty boy! I’m warning you! You can’t humiliate me like this! Let me in right now!

“We can split it up seventy/thirty later on! However, I absolutely won’t allow you to hold your agent in such a manner!”

“Sixty/forty! Sixty/forty is the lowest I will go!  Hey…… you won’t change your agent again, right? It’s really hard to find a human form like mine that’s self-walking and adorable!”

* He’s is actually the pronoun it. For the sake of avoiding confusion about the general situation v.s Mao Ba’er’s own standing I made it easier to understand.

** 拓麻 - I think this is the word for tamagotchi… or this might actually be another spelling of 他妈 (lel I think we all know whats this means). I thought it might be the F word, but the author, as you might have noticed, isn’t exactly shy about profanity, so why would he use another censor word? Given Mao Ba’er’s fluffy appearance, I’m going to stick with tamagotchi for now.

*** Moe is the best word I can use to describe the compound word for silliness/cuteness. It is an abstract concept of things that illicit “cutesy feelings that you want to snuggle”. Moe is a word I believe to have roots in Japanese anime subculture with the next closest cultural abstract idea I can think of being the Koreans “aegyo”.

**** 物伤其类, chinese idiom that I translated as “meeting a similar sadness”. It’s actually more like “meeting a similar death” or the explanation I found is that you feel sad to upon seeing someone that meets a similar sad/bitter situation as well.

***** 傲娇 - I translated this as “adorably defying”. Another two word character that encompasses an idea like that of “moe”. Best way I can describe it as the Japanese “Tsundere”.