Does MC ever kill/defeat anyone without 'using a borrowed or borrowing a knife'

I'm just finding the fight scenes extremely boring because of this aspect no matter how disadvantaged he is always has x, x being the lotus, swordbirds, rats, dragon etc, compared to the fights he had at the beginning where he had none of these and actually had had to rely on his wit and cultivation to get a win. Now, whatever the situation he finds himself in, he has an instant 'I win' button or cheat code for it and the author spends most of the time just padding their word count making it an excruciating read.

Comments

• No. I personally stopped reading around chapters 1400 because it was always the same boring thing every single time. Gets somewhere > offend powerful faction > use alchemy/knowledge to bribe most powerful person > use him to kill his ennemies > leaves to the next more powerful place > rinse and repeat.
  • TBH getting allies is actually refreshing compared to most other novels. It may get repetitive in itself, but repetition is kinda the big thing in xianxia anyway - and being different repetition is good enough.
  • edited February 3
    Zatarot said:
    I'm just finding the fight scenes extremely boring because of this aspect no matter how disadvantaged he is always has x, x being the lotus, swordbirds, rats, dragon etc, compared to the fights he had at the beginning where he had none of these and actually had had to rely on his wit and cultivation to get a win. Now, whatever the situation he finds himself in, he has an instant 'I win' button or cheat code for it and the author spends most of the time just padding their word count making it an excruciating read.
    it's not actually an instant "i win" he still has to use his wits and whats available then after careful planning he springs a trap to deal with enemies that are to strong for him. i actually prefer this to how other authors do it where it is just MC offends someone 1 level above them, is almost killed, escapes, is hunted down, reaches same level as attacker, kills them, offends their sibling/parent/elder who is 1 level above them rinse repeat. at least this way how he deals with them is different each time instead of just "AH HA I'm stronger now DIE." "You can't kill me if you do my sibling/parent/elder/sect will hunt you to the ends of the earth." kills them suddenly "You killed my ______ now i'm going to (insert varies forms of torture) and then kill you."
    towards the end of ISSTH Meng Hao actually tells off his opponent for this telling them he is sick of people about to lose yelling at him that he can't kill them because of their sibling/parent/elder/master/sect and that it is very annoying and has never stopped him.
  • Brain over muscle