Should i study chinese?

You see fellow daoists i am a student ready to go to university and i chose to study foreign oriental languages: the thing is, should i study japanese or chinese?
I am a fan of jap and chinese novels so the choice is hard (°^°)
Can someone give me a few suggestions as for what language i should choose in his/her opinion? (Ps i am confident in my english skills at least :smile: )
Tagged:

Comments

• yep,as a Chinese,i definite suggest Chinese. that kind of language was amazing. one word,several kinds of explain,Ps:i suggest u have a look one program in Youtube:歪国人研究协会。just copy that,have a nice day.
  • I would suggest that you find some talk shows/ news programs in both Japanese and Chinese(Mandarin?) and listen to them forst of all. Try imitating the sounds you hear and feel out which you prefer speaking.
    Personally I like Japanese because it's pretty clear and with the exception of 'r' pretty easy to get the tongue around plus I prefer the sound of it and frankly find the chinese characters daunting to learn so the fact there's less used in Japanese is appealing for me haha
  • yep,as a Chinese,i definite suggest Chinese. that kind of language was amazing. one word,several kinds of explain,Ps:i suggest u have a look one program in Youtube:歪国人研究协会。just copy that,have a nice day.

Thank you very much, i will try that :)
    Reading here on wuxia surely gave me an impression about the different meanings of each single word and i must say i like the puns you can make out of them XD
  • I would suggest that you find some talk shows/ news programs in both Japanese and Chinese(Mandarin?) and listen to them forst of all. Try imitating the sounds you hear and feel out which you prefer speaking.
    Personally I like Japanese because it's pretty clear and with the exception of 'r' pretty easy to get the tongue around plus I prefer the sound of it and frankly find the chinese characters daunting to learn so the fact there's less used in Japanese is appealing for me haha
    Thank you btw yes XD i understand what you mean, while trying both languages it seemed to me that japanese was if not easier at least simplier than chinese....i may be wrong though. Thank you, i am starting to understand though why japanese people have more difficulties than occidentals in learning english since their pronounciations really seem to differ
  • Yeah, Japanese pronounciation (for learning purposes) is monotone and pretty structured. Almost all constants are coupled with a vowell and very few silent sounds apart from 'u' which is more a preference thing I've found.

Either way, have a listen and do a bit of research. You should be able to find pretty quickly which one is more suited to your preferences
  • Yeah, Japanese pronounciation (for learning purposes) is monotone and pretty structured. Almost all constants are coupled with a vowell and very few silent sounds apart from 'u' which is more a preference thing I've found.

Either way, have a listen and do a bit of research. You should be able to find pretty quickly which one is more suited to your preferences
    Thank you, i will be trying my best to learn :) i hope in two years i will at least not be a complete amatour anymore XD