Comparing ISSTH to ATG, TMW, DE, TDG, and SOTR, why ISSTH is such a masterpiece.

Its obvious that many Wuxia Novels fall into the void of giving lots of legacies/items to the main character and then forgetting about them. The whole story becomes a hand full of arcs, which because of their vast number, end up either really good and really bad. Then the author manages to crap out the best arc that he possibly can, and every other arc from there pales in comparison. 

But this is why I LOVE ISSTH! It is so much more than that because it(seems like it) is planned! The author has the magnificent ability to take what he says and tie it back hundreds of chapters later. And even though this might be writing on a whim, Er Gen has mastered that ability and it feels as if he had meant for it to happen all along! 

I have just finished the Deamon Sect arc and the way the author summarizes what the Dao truly means just boggles my mind. Like,, did he mean to do it? Did he write out a masterful plan beforehand? He probably didn't, but it truly looks like he planned everything since day one. That ability to tie in all of your ideas together is truly a big part of writing.

Another issue is that you have to keep givng the character new powers. You cant just have the character use the same item and same legacy over and over again. The readers get bored because they know what will happen anyways. Desolate Era is an extreme example. One legacy might be mentioned for 10 chapters and never appear again... But somehow ISSTH manages to find the perfect balance!

---------------------------------------------------------
I'll try to explain what I mean by a simple scenario. You meet this friend and you guys talk several times at different occasions. The 1st time you hit it off, home run. The 2nd time you meet each other and you have the best time of your life! But the 3rd time you guys go out to eat and you just find that none of you can beat your last outing, and anything that you talk about becomes boring. Simply because the 2nd time you guys went out, you had soooo much fun that it meant that everything else that you did cant compare. What do you do?
---------------------------------------------------------

One way is to construct an elaborate story that only moves forwards, always coming up with new plot points. Every time you meet the friend you try to think up of a new way to engage him and build your friendship. You talk about something different every time.  Eventually you bring out new arcs that are amazing, but since there are so many amazing ones, and not everything can be amazing, several ones fall into mediocrity, and several ones fall into the trash category. 

Now what Er Gen has done is constructed new plot points, and tied them all together. Its like you are talking to your friend and you are staring to lose his attention because he remembers the 2nd time you went out, you guys were having a lot more fun. Its not your fault, you just cant possibly have the same amount of fun every time because that eventually becomes boring. You have to eventually have an outing with your friend that is a boring one. But what you do is mention, "hey remember the 2nd time we went out?", then the friend recalls the good times that you have had and you suddenly bring that time in as well as your time. 

Er Gen is a master of weaving plot points and story lines, assuring that the reader remains engaged well into the story. You dont get burned out from reading this story. You just get mroe and more engaged because everything is connected!!!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------

I have read several novels and none of them have ever given off the same feeling:

Against the Gods: Seriously? This is trash compared to this story. The main character recieves so many Legacies and gifts that are just thrown away! The character has so many arcs that reading it just becomes a chore. Want an example? Main character is underpowered. Main character goes to a martial arts competition while being underpowered. People laugh at main character. Then the main character proceeds to kick everybody's ass and leaves everybody shocked. Big whoopty fucking doo. Then suddenly it turns out that theres an even BIGGER martial arts tournament. So Main character receives a power boost and goes and fights in that one. Surpirse??? Main character is underpowered and gets laughed at! But he goes and kicks everybody's ass anyways! Not to mention all of the weapons and legacies that he magically receives that dont get used. Add to that the fact that he rapes a bunch of girls who have never experienced love before causing them to fall in love with him, and the story just leaves a sour taste in your mouth. Trash Rating 9/10 would not read again...

Desolate Era: This one hurts to compare because this story is just so DAMN good. But it truly infuriates me how several characters never get mentioned again! At the beginning, Ji Ning has this one guy that rivals him in his clan. Ji Ning beats his ass and then the guy dissapears! The author just piles legacies upon legacies on the character and it gets to the point where I am not excited about anything. Oh he got a legacy of a Daolord? Big whooptyfuckingdoo! It wont mean shit in the next chapters. But Desolate Era does this so many times that you just shut up and enjoy it. You hope that some characters might be mentioned again, but you know that wont be the case. And its a damn shame because they have so much background that you fall in love with every single one of them. 

But eventually you learn to love Desolate Era for what it is. A guy kicking ass and taking names. There's no crude humor. No raping of girls. Just a kid growing up and becoming an absolute badass. And thats the kind of story you should read. One that is just supposed to give you a good feeling. 
Trash Rating: 2/10. If you haven't read this, read it.  Still not better than ISSTH.

Tales of Demons and Gods: This book is an EPITOME of too many arcs and items to the point that the author abandons his own novel to write a fresh new one. TODG is special to me because it is the fust Wuxia novel that I read. But it is so fucking stupid. Litteraly the main character spends 200 chapters cultivating several laws and he suddenly leaves to cultivate a totally different path. Those laws disappear! Add to that, there is no real point to the novel, as the MC's quest is practically useless, and you get a trash novel that will probably never be finished. Tales of Demons and Gods took dying as a badass and coming back to life with your past memories to a whole new level. It brought an entertaining cast, but truly failed to build upon them. This novel is so bad, I would not suggest that my own worst enemy read it. Add to that the fact that the MC keeps flirting and trying to get with a girl who he fell in love with his past life, and you get a confusing love fucking hexagon. Yes, they are 13 year old girls getting hit on by a guy who's 1000 years old, but in the body of a 13 year old. Oh yeah, the author just makes every fucking girl under the sky fall in love with him. I'm probably not even close, its probably an octagon. Plus the whole 13 year old love thing just leaves me wanting to take a shower and question my moral ground.  Trash Rating: 8/10. Still better than Against the Gods.

True Martial World: This story is a clusterfuck. It is a close second to Tales of Demons and gods in so many arcs coming at you that the author loses track of everything. The main character finds a purple crystal and that stays the same, but everything else just falls behind. I dont even want to get into the story, its just so baaadddd! The main character discovers a dao. He spends chapters upon chapters of learning that dao and making the readers grow more interested! All of a sudden that dao is not mentioned again and he goes and studies the dao of destruction. His wifey? Oh yeah they crashed and she hasn't been mentioned for 500 chapters. Yup, they were separated and the MC goes and fucking leaves the planet to go to a dying planet. Fuck you wifey! Trash Rating: 10/10. Dont fucking read it. Youll get a headache. 

Sovereign of the Three Realms: 
MC goes from realm to realm after he gets stronger. The next realm he goes to coincidentally has people just slightly stronger than he is, prompting him to get stronger and move to the next realm. Rinse and repeat. Half the shit that he discovers never gets mentioned again, but the author does a great job of singling out a few items to grow with the MC. It gets repetitive,  but at least its enjoyable tale and there's no pedophilia or rape going on! Trash rating: 4/10. Its aight, read it and enjoy it. The beginning is really good, but it slows down in pace, not as much action. 
------------------------------------------------------------------

Now let me try to summarize everything for those who didnt want to read my essay. ISSTH is a gem. The author has the ability of tying together events, characters, and items from the past with the present resulting in the reader to constantly remain engaged! Reading ISSTH leaves you with a warm feeling in your tummy regardless what chapter you are on. 

This is the best Wuxia novel out there, in my opinon.

Also what happens to the rain dragon core that Meng Hao consumed in the first few chapters?? 

Thanks for reading guys!

Comments

• edited July 2017
    @Dark Ambience thanks, I will check it out for sure!
  • edited July 2017
    @Dark Ambience thanks, I will check it out for sure!
  • edited July 2017
    Ophis said:

I have read several novels and none of them have ever given off the same feeling:

Against the Gods: Seriously? This is trash compared to this story. The main character recieves so many Legacies and gifts that are just thrown away! The character has so many arcs that reading it just becomes a chore. Want an example? Main character is underpowered. Main character goes to a martial arts competition while being underpowered. People laugh at main character. Then the main character proceeds to kick everybody's ass and leaves everybody shocked. Big whoopty fucking doo. Then suddenly it turns out that theres an even BIGGER martial arts tournament. So Main character receives a power boost and goes and fights in that one. Surpirse??? Main character is underpowered and gets laughed at! But he goes and kicks everybody's ass anyways! Not to mention all of the weapons and legacies that he magically receives that dont get used. Add to that the fact that he rapes a bunch of girls who have never experienced love before causing them to fall in love with him, and the story just leaves a sour taste in your mouth. Trash Rating 9/10 would not read again...

Ugh, almost got eye cancer reading this utter bullshit of a post.

Disregarding the fact of whether ATG is trash or not, you should at least complain about real things; things that actually happened in the story.

Out of almost 900 chapters, there's been only two tournaments so far. The other two occasions were only a minor spars among the young generation that didn't last even 50 chapters. If you were to combine all of those 4 happenings, it probably wouldn't amount to more than 150 chapters of the whole story so far. Not little, but still nowhere near as exaggerated as you made it to be.

Please, point out 1 legacy or weapon that Yun Che obtained that were never used and thrown aside. One of the strong points of ATG is the fact that Yun Che tends to use the majority of his abilities whenever possible.

Moreover, raped a bunch of girls? Made them all fall in love with him because of that? Dude, is your head okay? I understand you not liking the novel, but all of what you said is beyond retarded. None of that crap ever happened.

You're free to not like a novel and even call it trash, but don't make stuff up just to try to support your hatred for it.

Now in reference to the topic as a whole. Honestly speaking, I don't like Er Gen as an author overall. Disregarding the fact that I don't like ISSH, his other novel, Xian Ni, left me utterly put off. Xian Ni is for me what I would consider as an utter garbage of a story; the only thing worse than that being Shen Mu.

Novels I would recommend in NOT reading are: Shen Mu, Xian Ni, Child of Light, TDG, Jiang Ye, My Wife is a Beautiful CEO, Martial God Conqueror and any novel written by "逆蒼天"(Great Demon King and Spirit Realm).

As for the novels currently being translated in WW, the ones I like more are Terror Infinity, ATG, Martial World and Battle Through the Heavens. None of them would I call a masterpiece though...
    Wow, you full opposite with me

What trash in my taste, is gold in yours
    What gold in my taste, is trash in yours.

Back to topic,  I agree with what TS saying about strong point in ISSTH that I NEVER see in other story (yeah maybe 1-2 weak overshadow things) is  ergen really plan how his story work, and what I mean is FUCKIN PLANNING with MULTI TONS TIMES overshadow in ISSTH.

And man, no need to be smart to know that a good planning plot is one of important part that make what a GOLD STORY is
  • edited July 2017
    Ophis said:

Disregarding the fact of whether ATG is trash or not, you should at least complain about real things; things that actually happened in the story.

Out of almost 900 chapters, there's been only two tournaments so far. The other two occasions were only a minor spars among the young generation that didn't last even 50 chapters. If you were to combine all of those 4 happenings, it probably wouldn't amount to more than 150 chapters of the whole story so far. Not little, but still nowhere near as exaggerated as you made it to be.

Please, point out 1 legacy or weapon that Yun Che obtained that were never used and thrown aside. One of the strong points of ATG is the fact that Yun Che tends to use the majority of his abilities whenever possible.

Moreover, raped a bunch of girls? Made them all fall in love with him because of that? Dude, is your head okay? I understand you not liking the novel, but all of what you said is beyond retarded. None of that crap ever happened.

You're free to not like a novel and even call it trash, but don't make stuff up just to try to support your hatred for it.

Now in reference to the topic as a whole. Honestly speaking, I don't like Er Gen as an author overall. Disregarding the fact that I don't like ISSH, his other novel, Xian Ni, left me utterly put off. Xian Ni is for me what I would consider as an utter garbage of a story; the only thing worse than that being Shen Mu.

Novels I would recommend in NOT reading are: Shen Mu, Xian Ni, Child of Light, TDG, Jiang Ye, My Wife is a Beautiful CEO, Martial God Conqueror and any novel written by "逆蒼天"(Great Demon King and Spirit Realm).

As for the novels currently being translated in WW, the ones I like more are Terror Infinity, ATG, Martial World and Battle Through the Heavens. None of them would I call a masterpiece though...
    Wow, you full opposite with me

What trash in my taste, is gold in yours
    What gold in my taste, is trash in yours.

Back to topic,  I agree with what TS saying about strong point in ISSTH that I NEVER see in other story (yeah maybe 1-2 weak overshadow things) is  ergen really plan how his story work, and what I mean is FUCKIN PLANNING with MULTI TONS TIMES overshadow in ISSTH.

And man, no need to be smart to know that a good planning plot is one of important part that make what a GOLD STORY is
  • Well dude everyone has his own taste and this is just your perception of these novels and in my opinion I wont really call ISSTH a masterpiece, read it fully then give your comments as the good points you stated will be pretty much non existent after he reaches half immortal but I will totally agree with one thing that ISSTH pre immortal is one of the best I have read and after Immortal one of the shitty ones I have read and the thing is you cant really expect consistent quality all over the story.
  • Well dude everyone has his own taste and this is just your perception of these novels and in my opinion I wont really call ISSTH a masterpiece, read it fully then give your comments as the good points you stated will be pretty much non existent after he reaches half immortal but I will totally agree with one thing that ISSTH pre immortal is one of the best I have read and after Immortal one of the shitty ones I have read and the thing is you cant really expect consistent quality all over the story.
    "This is the best Wuxia novel out there, in my opinon."

This is purely written in my opinion. I have read these novels, and I compare them. I dont call myself objective in the least. Now if you disagree, I am very open to you disagreeing with me.

What novel do you call better than ISSTH?

"This is the best Wuxia novel out there, in my opinon."

This is purely written in my opinion. I have read these novels, and I compare them. I dont call myself objective in the least. Now if you disagree, I am very open to you disagreeing with me.

What novel do you call better than ISSTH?

For me TTNH is better. I haven't found my best wuxia novel yet so i can't say about that. :smiley:

• edited July 2017
    In all seriousness I havent really found a novel that I can call a masterpiece but the first half of ISSTH comes pretty close to it and I have read ST, TDG, ATG, DE, ED, HSSB, HN1F, CSG, CCG, KOG, BTTH, WDQK, TGR, TTNH. Out of all these if I have to state top 3 I will say HSSB will take no1 for me then ST(I know this one has many cons) just cos this was my first wuxia and then probably CCG/TTNH/KOG/ISSTH(not sure cos Havent read them fully just the translated chapters and TTNH was around 100 when I left waiting for more chapters to pile up).

• edited July 2017
    HSSB is indeed good, I am reading it atm, still it isn't ISSTH.
    WMW is not very similar to ISSTH but it is similarly genious level writing.

ATG is garbage beyond garbage, the 9/10 rating is generous. Reading this filler filled story is being merciless to yourself.
    DE is good, but indeed it can get boring, what you wrote is what it is.
    I haven't read the tales of demons and gods
    TMW I dunno I started reading but I guess I just forgot to keep reading it lol, among other novels it isn't much.
    SOTR is good but yeah similarly to DE it gets boring.

If I had to rate the novels I have read here, I would go like this
    1) ISSTH
    2) WMW
    And then on the "I would read it but I could also not" - they tend to get boring
    3) MGA
    4) SOTR
    5) Skyfire Avenue (it is interesting setting)
    6) Child of Light (finished)
    Then there are the "I would read those but I have better things to read so I won't waste my time"
    Emperor's Domination, Heavenly Jewel Change, Invisible, Legend of the Dragon King, TGR, Upgrade Specialist, WDQK

And then there are those who I refuse to read, which is ATG. I seriously suggest skipping that one.

Of course I am also waiting A will eternal to move forward a bit, and I read HSSB right now which is really good. Also the things Rainbowturtle translates is usually good stuff.

edit: TTNH is very good too, but still I don't think it is ISSTH good, mainly because it over explains things which tends to get boring and it is more focused on strategy than the adventure element

• I have read several novels and none of them have ever given off the same feeling:

"A person only dies when they are forgotten" - Dr. Hiluluk
  • Yes you are right, it isn't rape, it is just that according to the story there is no other option than to have sex.
  • Ophis said:

He rapes a bunch of girls. The girl says no, and he has sex with her anyways. Thats rape. 

“No… don’t…” Chu Yuechan’s eyes were trembling with shock. Using all her strength to raise her right arm, she grabbed onto his wrist. “If… you dare to do that to me… I will definitely… definitely… kill you…”

Yun Che took hold of her hand, bent his body over, and forcefully kissed her fragrant lips, preventing her from making any other sounds.

Chu Yuechan’s beautiful eyes widened, as she emitted out whimpering sounds. But as her extremely beautiful upper body was being completely exposed under Yun Che’s body, her whimpering sounds became more powerless as time went by…

Under Yun Che’s forcefulness, Chu Yuechan’s weak struggles amounted to an exercise in futility. In the blink of an eye, her flawless, snowy white body that looked as though it had been sculpted from jade or ice, had become completely uncovered in front of Yun Che… and when her last ‘barrier’ was broken through by Yun Che’s charge, her mental defensive perimeter instantly, completely collapsed as well."

Please tell me how this is not rape??? Even if I am wrong about everything else in ATG and its a flawless masterpiece, how the FUCK do you explain this shit??? Its rape...

• edited July 2017
    Unpale said:
    Yes you are right, it isn't rape, it is just that according to the story there is no other option than to have sex.
    Its either rape her of let her die, fucking flawless writing right there! The author writes in a way that he rectifies rape. 

Like whatever way you put it my nigga, its fucking rape, and its wrong.

------------------------------------------
    Ive always wanted to try Warlock in the Mangus World. It sounds like a lot of fun to read.

Im going to stay away from Heavenly Jewel Change, I read the reviews from it and everybody is talking about how stupid and childish the MC is. 
  • He rapes a bunch of girls. The girl says no, and he has sex with her anyways. Thats rape. 

“No… don’t…” Chu Yuechan’s eyes were trembling with shock. Using all her strength to raise her right arm, she grabbed onto his wrist. “If… you dare to do that to me… I will definitely… definitely… kill you…”

Yun Che took hold of her hand, bent his body over, and forcefully kissed her fragrant lips, preventing her from making any other sounds.

Chu Yuechan’s beautiful eyes widened, as she emitted out whimpering sounds. But as her extremely beautiful upper body was being completely exposed under Yun Che’s body, her whimpering sounds became more powerless as time went by…

Under Yun Che’s forcefulness, Chu Yuechan’s weak struggles amounted to an exercise in futility. In the blink of an eye, her flawless, snowy white body that looked as though it had been sculpted from jade or ice, had become completely uncovered in front of Yun Che… and when her last ‘barrier’ was broken through by Yun Che’s charge, her mental defensive perimeter instantly, completely collapsed as well."

Please tell me how this is not rape??? Even if I am wrong about everything else in ATG and its a flawless masterpiece, how the FUCK do you explain this shit??? Its rape...

Okay, I think you need to check on the dictionary what the word "bunch" means. Yes, it was rape, but that's the sole happening of Yun Che doing that throughout the whole novel. You exaggerating it and saying he rapes a bunch of girls and causing them to fall for him is absurd.

Moreover, Yuechan was already in love with him before the rape, she didn't fall in love afterwards. Proof of that is the fact that she couldn't bear to kill Yun Che at the end.

No, I'm not saying it's okay to rape her just because she loves him, and I do agree that it was a somewhat of a bad move from the author, but the author never stated in his novel that it's not wrong. Rape is rape regardless of the reason, but Yun Che decided to be the bad guy in order to save an important person. Contradictory, but human nonetheless.

Anyway, I'm not denying the fact that rape occurred once in this novel, but it was definitely not even two, what to say of a freaking bunch of girls. 

Unpale said:
    Yes you are right, it isn't rape, it is just that according to the story there is no other option than to have sex.

If you are going to give your opinion on the matter, at least read properly the context of what is being argued about. The guy was transforming what happened once into an en masse rapefest.
  • edited July 2017
    ISSTH Is a gud book!
  • edited July 2017
    ISSTH Is a gud book!
  • Ophis said:

Okay, I think you need to check on the dictionary what the word "bunch" means. Yes, it was rape, but that's the sole happening of Yun Che doing that throughout the whole novel. You exaggerating it and saying he rapes a bunch of girls and causing them to fall for him is absurd.

Moreover, Yuechan was already in love with him before the rape, she didn't fall in love afterwards. Proof of that is the fact that she couldn't bear to kill Yun Che at the end.

No, I'm not saying it's okay to rape her just because she loves him, and I do agree that it was a somewhat of a bad move from the author, but the author never stated in his novel that it's not wrong. Rape is rape regardless of the reason, but Yun Che decided to be the bad guy in order to save an important person. Contradictory, but human nonetheless.

Anyway, I'm not denying the fact that rape occurred once in this novel, but it was definitely not even two, what to say of a freaking bunch of girls. 
    Unpale said:

If you are going to give your opinion on the matter, at least read properly the context of what is being argued about. The guy was transforming what happened once into an en masse rapefest. Okay, I think you need to check on the dictionary what the word "bunch" means.

I do know what a bunch means. I was being facetious, excuse me. He only RAPED ONE GIRL. Thats not a big deal!

Yes, it was rape, but that's the sole happening of Yun Che doing that throughout the whole novel. You exaggerating it and saying he rapes a bunch of girls and causing them to fall for him is absurd.

Its absurd to call a novel trash because it justifies rape??? Well excuseeeee me!

Moreover, Yuechan was already in love with him before the rape, she didn't fall in love afterwards. Proof of that is the fact that she couldn't bear to kill Yun Che at the end.

"“No… don’t…”... Yun Che took hold of her hand, bent his body over, and forcefully kissed her fragrant lipspreventing her from making any other sounds." You clearly need to take a refresher course on what rape is, my friend. I love my girlfriend. And she loves me! That doesn't mean I can say" sex, now" and immediately go have sex with her against her will. If she says, "no" then I dont do it. Plain and simple. Just because love is involved, it does NOT justify/mean that the asshole protagonist can just have sex with her whenever he wants.

No, I'm not saying it's okay to rape her just because she loves him,

Really? Because I could have sworn that you said that earlier! "Moreover, Yuechan was already in love with him before the rape, she didn't fall in love afterwards. Proof of that is the fact that she couldn't bear to kill Yun Che at the end."

and I do agree that it was a somewhat of a bad move from the author, but the author never stated in his novel that it's not wrong. Rape is rape regardless of the reason, but Yun Che decided to be the bad guy in order to save an important person. Contradictory, but human nonetheless.

What are you babbling on about. You are saying that its not OK to rape her, but now you are saying that its justified? And you are calling him human??? 

Its a bad move to have him rape a girl? Are you kidding me? All the author had to do was have the girl say "OK" and boom. And it shouldnt be fucking mentioned that rape is bad, regardless of the time frame. If i fucking rape a girl in wuxia china, and its not consentual, im still going to hell. Its fucking wrong in every single fucking way. Yun Che did not care about being the bad guy, he raped a girl and the author justified it. 

Anyway, I'm not denying the fact that rape occurred once in this novel, but it was definitely not even two, what to say of a freaking bunch of girls. 

Are you a potato? Because raping a gil is fucking wrong either way. Stop justifying the rape. Even if it happens 1/2 a time, it shouldnt fucking happen. Especially when the author can just change a few words and thats 

They say that when you write, it shows a different side of you. You can clearly see what the author's personality is when he justifies rape. 

Get off this tread if you wanna keep arguing with me that Yun Che Raping a girl makes your book a fucking masterpiece. If your book is a piece of fiction, even then YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO JUSTIFY RAPE. IT IS WRONG IN EVERY CULTURE!  

Its all about the message that you send. if you use rape in your book, you better be damn sure that it sends the message of it being  bad and harming somebody. Several books that I have read, even fiction ones, handle the topic of rape properly by sending out the message that rape is a fucked up thing to do.

But the author makes the rape seem like no problem. In fact she falls in love with him immediately after he rapes her. That shouldnt be the message that the book sends, rape is a fucked up thing to do. Period. 

Get that trash out of here. ATG is nowhere as good as ISSTH. They aren't in the same general vicinity. 

• freeasabird said:
    I do know what a bunch means. I was being facetious, excuse me. He only RAPED ONE GIRL. Thats not a big deal!

It is a big deal, I never said it wasn't. I just replied to your clearly absurd comment of the MC going around raping a bunch of girls. I'm sorry for not understanding you were playing retarded to justify your hate.

freeasabird said:
    Its absurd to call a novel trash because it justifies rape??? Well excuseeeee me!

Do you have brain damage or something? I explicitly stated in my first post that you're free to call whatever novel you want as trash, just don't go taking stuff out of your ass to fuel your hatred for a novel you don't like. And you're free to bash it for the rape that happened, just don't make stuff up that only serves as eye cancer.

freeasabird said:
    "“No… don’t…”... Yun Che took hold of her handbent his body over, and forcefully kissed her fragrant lipspreventing her from making any other sounds." You clearly need to take a refresher course on what rape is, my friend. I love my girlfriend. And she loves me! That doesn't mean I can say" sex, now" and immediately go have sex with her against her will. If she says, "no" then I dont do it. Plain and simple. Just because love is involved, it does NOT justify/mean that the asshole protagonist can just have sex with her whenever he wants.

Again, another nonsense. I just explicitly stated in my post that I don't find it okay to rape her just because she loves him. Why the fuck are you babbling all this crap for?

freeasabird said:
    Really? Because I could have sworn that you said that earlier! "Moreover, Yuechan was already in love with him before the rape, she didn't fall in love afterwards. Proof of that is the fact that she couldn't bear to kill Yun Che at the end."

That statement of mine was solely a reply to your statement of "he rapes a bunch of girls who have never experienced love before causing them to fall in love with him". The MC neither rapes a bunch of girls nor does the act of rape made anyone fall in love with him. I was simply correcting your distorted bullshit.

freeasabird said:
    What are you babbling on about. You are saying that its not OK to rape her, but now you are saying that its justified? And you are calling him human??? 

What I meant by human is that human beings do some fucked up shit when cornered sometimes. MC wanted to save her life at any cost, she rejected, he forced her in his desperation. It's not justified by any means, but humans can act irrational as well. There's no lack of people out there who decided to do evil in hopes of preserving/protecting a loved one.

freeasabird said:
    Are you a potato? Because raping a gil is fucking wrong either way. Stop justifying the rape. Even if it happens 1/2 a time, it shouldnt fucking happen. Especially when the author can just change a few words and thats 

No, are you a potato? For fucks sake, who is justifying rape? The initial argument was never about whether rape happened or if it's justified, but about your claim of the MC going around doing mass rape. Yes, it shouldn't happen, but if it does happen, it can't repeat itself, otherwise the character ends up being absolutely unredeemable.

freeasabird said:
    They say that when you write, it shows a different side of you. You can clearly see what the author's personality is when he justifies rape. 

Dude, can you be a little more hypocritical? The author from the novel you claim to love justifies murder, torture and genocide. Alas, it seems those kind of things are perfectly fine for you though... well, every Xianxia author does that anyway.

freeasabird said:
    Get off this tread if you wanna keep arguing with me that Yun Che Raping a girl makes your book a fucking masterpiece. If your book is a piece of fiction, even then YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO JUSTIFY RAPE. IT IS WRONG IN EVERY CULTURE!  

Again, who is arguing about ATG being a masterpiece or anything about a rape being justified? Stop spouting retarded shit and get your act together. The initial argument was never about rape being wrong or not, but about you transforming Yun Che from a "human who committed a serious mistake" to a "serial rapist who makes girls fall in love with him through rape". You completely blew his sin out of proportion. 

freeasabird said:
    Its all about the message that you send. if you use rape in your book, you better be damn sure that it sends the message of it being  bad and harming somebody. Several books that I have read, even fiction ones, handle the topic of rape properly by sending out the message that rape is a fucked up thing to do.

But the author makes the rape seem like no problem. In fact she falls in love with him immediately after he rapes her. That shouldnt be the message that the book sends, rape is a fucked up thing to do. Period. 

No, she doesn't. But that besides the point, I won't bother with this crap anymore. You kept distorting things from beginning to end; from your first point with those "facts" about ATG, to my posts that had nothing to do with whether rape is wrong or justified.

freeasabird said:
    Get that trash out of here. ATG is nowhere as good as ISSTH. They aren't in the same general vicinity

We at least agree in something then. Because, even when ATG is nowhere near what I would consider putting in my top 10 novels, it's still much better than ISSTH. 
  • Ophis said:

Moreover, Yuechan was already in love with him before the rape, she didn't fall in love afterwards. Proof of that is the fact that she couldn't bear to kill Yun Che at the end.

Your definition of love is really something XD

You say that it happens only once? I am too bored to actually re read the novel just to counter you, but you can check chapter 605+ for some excellent writing (this time the MC gets raped) (500 times).

Just ugh, I am ashamed to admit even reading this far.
  • Unpale said:
    Ophis said:

Your definition of love is really something XD

You say that it happens only once? I am too bored to actually re read the novel just to counter you, but you can check chapter 605+ for some excellent writing (this time the MC gets raped) (500 times).

Just ugh, I am ashamed to admit even reading this far.
    What definition? I'm only stating a fact.

Calling that rape is simply a fallacy. Yun Che didn't even say no, what to say of actually struggling. 

Besides, you should be ashamed of actually rating MGA as third best novel here and still be hypocritical enough to say what you're saying. Some excellent double standards you got there.
  • edited July 2017
    The only novel better than ISSTH is "the grandmaster strategist". It's my opinion, but a well thought out one. Rest is garbage, I am sure many literates would agree. they wouldn't read such poorly written book anyways.
    here are my votes on the few I read
    ATG very poorly written, overpowered MC, who has not shown awesomeness.
    Desolate era, I dropped between 200-300 chapters,
    WDQK still reading but that's only because there is nothing other to read, very few adventures.
    SOTR not very interesting. CD was just alright.
    HJC not worth reading.
    MGA worst of the bunch, stopped reading. 
    SA too slow
    BTTH same as WDQK.
    DD was interesting and simple
    TDG not fine 
  • edited July 2017
    I dont mean to take sides but there was a scene when he "massaged" the entire FCA and "walked into" their bathroom and looking up a 12 year old girl skirt(Jasmine) in first 50 chapters (Sexual Harasment i think??)....seriously not taking anyones side here ...and he himself called him rapist when he went on a date with a girl in IDR....
    And freeasbird if you like ISSTH so much try Renegade immortal its really awesome through and its in every sense a zero to hero story
    and give that guy a break ATG fanboys are genreally hot blooded just look at their latest chapter discussion forum man there are more discussion there than all other novels combined .
    ATG first 300 chapter were good.
    BTW IGNORE ME JUST A PASSERBY

• People defending ATG are like brainwashed kids. They have done full PHD on it. Wish I had that much interest to prove you wrong. But nah. It sucks. the overuse plot of making the MC stronger by killing him every time is just tiring. The power levels are just pointless and baseless. You will realise it when you grow up a little. 
  • Ophis said:

Calling that rape is simply a fallacy. Yun Che didn't even say no, what to say of actually struggling. 

Besides, you should be ashamed of actually rating MGA as third best novel here and still be hypocritical enough to say what you're saying. Some excellent double standards you got there.
    “I have… a… wife,” Yun Che looked straight at the Little Demon Empress, and protested weakly.

I am not rating it third best, I am rating it first of the 2nd tier of the novels that are on this site and aren't Korean. And I haven't read it for a long time, but I can't recall a rape instance. However if I remember wrongly I will admit that my rating is wrong.

Still like I said my problem with ATG is that it is filled to the brim with fillers. It takes chapters where the only thing that happens is that enemies shit talk the MC, just to have their face smacked and have the next chapters about how they have no face or how they keep shit talking the MC since they have thick skin. I have long accepted that most wuxia authors are perverts and just ignore the awkward scenes.
  • Unpale said:
    Ophis said:

“I have… a… wife,” Yun Che looked straight at the Little Demon Empress, and protested weakly.

I am not rating it third best, I am rating it first of the 2nd tier of the novels that are on this site and aren't Korean. And I haven't read it for a long time, but I can't recall a rape instance. However if I remember wrongly I will admit that my rating is wrong.

Still like I said my problem with ATG is that it is filled to the brim with fillers. It takes chapters where the only thing that happens is that enemies shit talk the MC, just to have their face smacked and have the next chapters about how they have no face or how they keep shit talking the MC since they have thick skin. I have long accepted that most wuxia authors are perverts and just ignore the awkward scenes.

I see that more as a reflexively protest because of the sudden development that caused Yun Che to become bewildered. But that's besides the point, whether LDE raped Yun Che or not, or if the story has more than one rape was not what the argument is about since the beginning. Yun Che truly only raped 1 girl, what LDE did was entirely out of her will. 

There are three rapes in MGA that Chu Feng does as revenge.

I'm not here to defend ATG, your points now are valid. I won't argue against that, ATG truly has a lot of flaws. The initial argument was about what the OP said that Yun Che raped a bunch of girls causing them to fall in love with him. When in fact, he didn't rape a bunch of girls nor did the only case it happened caused the girl to fall in love.

If not for the OP transforming the MC into a serial rapist and stating that girls fall in love because of being raped, I wouldn't even bother posting in this thread. I'm well aware of the glaring flaws ATG has and that a lot of people won't like it, and just like I stated in my first post, it's their right to express that.

Seriously, had the OP simply stated "MC rapes a girl and there's no consequence to it, so ATG is trash" we wouldn't be having this whole pointless argument. My stance was never defending ATG or trying to make it look better, but correcting an incredibly erroneous information.
  • Yeah I totally can't even remember :P You are right, I shouldn't have rated it so high then. Still I would only recommend ISSTH and WMW from all those.
  • Yo @Unpale if you like WMW, give Daoist Gu a shot as the MCs are quite  similar, I havent read Daoist Gu myself as I am not a big fan of dark MCs but some people I know liked WMW said Daoist Gu is a more darkened version of WMW.
  • edited July 2017
    @Dark_Ambience thanks, I will check it out for sure!

• I'm not here to defend ATG, your points now are valid. I won't argue against that, ATG truly has a lot of flaws. The initial argument was about what the OP said that Yun Che raped a bunch of girls causing them to fall in love with him. When in fact, he didn't rape a bunch of girls nor did the only case it happened caused the girl to fall in love.

Seriously, had the OP simply stated "MC rapes a girl and there's no consequence to it, so ATG is trash" we wouldn't be having this whole pointless argument. My stance was never defending ATG or trying to make it look better, but correcting an incredibly erroneous information.
    Are you fucking stupid? Or are you a potato? 

"A lot of flaws" ??? for real? The book is about a main character who has sex with every girl he sees AND RAPES A GIRL WITH NO CONSEQUENCES. Its almost like the author (the guy who has control over the story) WANTED the girl to get raped!

And don't get me started on how he goes and inappropriately touches every fucking girl in the ice temple. 

My final point is weather the MC rapes 3 girls or 1 girl, it makes no difference. The story is trash just because he raped 1 girl. If he raped 3 girls it would still the same trash rating. 

OK i admit, you win. The MC only raped ONE girl.

Congratulations, you are defending a novel which encourages rape. Now get off this thread. Nobody wants you here defending rape. 
  • edited July 2017
    Hey Can anyone recomend a novel which doesn't objectify women because as far as i know Er Gen in one of the writers who dont do so,IET and the guy who wrote FMOC i think but yeah can anyone tell me novels with decent character depth