Will Leylin ever go back to Earth?

Just before Leylin went to send soul-seeds to the World of Gods, I was thinking wouldn't it be better to go to Earth first and pick up a starship and use that as a platform to check out that world.  After all, they wouldn't have any defenses for it and it wouldn't set off any warnings.   It's been at least several centuries since Leylin was reincarnated in the Magus world and more likely at least 1000 years.  Earth's technology should be way better than it was.

Of course, Leylin had his own way into the World of the Gods, so he didn't need the ship.  However, after thinking about it, Earth might be Leylin's biggest weakness.  His AI chip is way out of date and extremely hackable by the much more advanced Earthlings.  The Earth people would probably see him as some kind of primitive invader and take care of him.  :smiley: 

Comments

• edited July 2017
    I think you're having a huge misunderstanding. He had a normal A.I. chip at the beginning of the story. But as it kept upgrading with his soul getting stronger it probably was one of the strongest earth's capable of by the time he became a level 1 mage. Now that he's basically an omnipotent god (not quite but ehh to regular people he might as well) his A.I. chip should (does) far surpass anything technology could ever produce (probably). And why you think the barrier around the world of the gods can only block immaterial things and/or just magic baffles me. You think if the barrier had that big a loophole somebody really wouldn't have figured a way in by now?
    P.S. Plus, as @Rewrite said above me, the A.I. chip is part of his soul now. So if somebody wanted to hack the A.I. chip they'd have to subjugate Leylin's entire soul. Which, well, I'd imagine it'd be far easier just to kill him. Rereading it, I see that you're saying that after all this time (1000 years) humans have advanced at an insane rate to make Leylin's A.I. chip look inferior. >.> I'm going to ignore that cause I really don't know what to say to that, haha Leylin's A.I. chip can already crudely predict the future. There's bottlenecks to technology. For example in the world today, I feel as though there are only a few more inventions that can be made feasibly, to me, (spaceships, sentient A.I. perhaps, life prolonging medicine mayyybe, technology to inhabit other planets mayyybe, flying cars YES although the safety protocols needed for that would probably make it not worth it, robots to do all our work for us *shrugs* hey I'm open minded) before progress could only be made by manipulating the fabric of the universe. To make wormholes for teleportation, and stuff like that. Which is probably impossible or takes the force of a thousand billion super novas or something stupid like that. I've always been proud of how logical WMW has been able to be even while incorporating magic into it and an alternate dimension earth being able to be a threat to Leylin as he is now just doesn't cut it.
  • edited July 2017
    I think you're having a huge misunderstanding. He had a normal A.I. chip at the beginning of the story. But as it kept upgrading with his soul getting stronger it probably was one of the strongest earth's capable of by the time he became a level 1 mage. Now that he's basically an omnipotent god (not quite but ehh to regular people he might as well) his A.I. chip should (does) far surpass anything technology could ever produce (probably). And why you think the barrier around the world of the gods can only block immaterial things and/or just magic baffles me. You think if the barrier had that big a loophole somebody really wouldn't have figured a way in by now?
    P.S. Plus, as @Rewrite said above me, the A.I. chip is part of his soul now. So if somebody wanted to hack the A.I. chip they'd have to subjugate Leylin's entire soul. Which, well, I'd imagine it'd be far easier just to kill him. Rereading it, I see that you're saying that after all this time (1000 years) humans have advanced at an insane rate to make Leylin's A.I. chip look inferior. >.> I'm going to ignore that cause I really don't know what to say to that, haha Leylin's A.I. chip can already crudely predict the future. There's bottlenecks to technology. For example in the world today, I feel as though there are only a few more inventions that can be made feasibly, to me, (spaceships, sentient A.I. perhaps, life prolonging medicine mayyybe, technology to inhabit other planets mayyybe, flying cars YES although the safety protocols needed for that would probably make it not worth it, robots to do all our work for us *shrugs* hey I'm open minded) before progress could only be made by manipulating the fabric of the universe. To make wormholes for teleportation, and stuff like that. Which is probably impossible or takes the force of a thousand billion super novas or something stupid like that. I've always been proud of how logical WMW has been able to be even while incorporating magic into it and an alternate dimension earth being able to be a threat to Leylin as he is now just doesn't cut it.
  • No he never goes back. And the AI advances with him, someone would have to hack his brain, and effectively Leylin as a person if they wanted to hack the AI.
  • edited July 2017
    P.S. Plus, as @Rewrite said above me, the A.I. chip is part of his soul now. So if somebody wanted to hack the A.I. chip they'd have to subjugate Leylin's entire soul. Which, well, I'd imagine it'd be far easier just to kill him. Rereading it, I see that you're saying that after all this time (1000 years) humans have advanced at an insane rate to make Leylin's A.I. chip look inferior. >.> I'm going to ignore that cause I really don't know what to say to that, haha Leylin's A.I. chip can already crudely predict the future. There's bottlenecks to technology. For example in the world today, I feel as though there are only a few more inventions that can be made feasibly, to me, (spaceships, sentient A.I. perhaps, life prolonging medicine mayyybe, technology to inhabit other planets mayyybe, flying cars YES although the safety protocols needed for that would probably make it not worth it, something to fix our pollution so we don't eventually get humanity killed hopefully, robots to do all our work for us I won't reject it *shrugs* hey I'm open minded) before progress would only be made by manipulating the fabric of the universe. To make wormholes for teleportation, and stuff like that. Which is probably impossible or takes the force of a thousand billion super novas or something stupid like that. I've always been proud of how logical WMW has been able to be even while incorporating magic into it and an alternate dimension earth being able to be a threat to Leylin as he is now just doesn't cut it.
  • I'll accept that he doesn't go back to Earth.
    However, I won't accept your lack of faith in the progress of Earth's technology.  :smiley:

For example, pull out your cellphone.  Show it to someone from just 20 years ago and they'd be really amazed.  Show it to someone from 100 years ago and they'd steal it and try to pull it apart and figure out how it worked....  Show it to someone from 1000 years ago and they'd burn you at the stake.

A 1000 years ago an abacus was the top-of-the-line calculator.  No matter how fast you make it work, there are some functions on it you can't do, BUT you can get that cellphone to do.  Similarly, computer chips come with certain functions built in and the abilities get better with every generation. 
    Compare a 8088xt verses a current Core i7 model.  Even if you speed up the 8088xt by a million times it still isn't going to compare favorably to a current Core i7 version.  That's just a difference of 35 years in production advances.  In 1000 years a modern computer chip (or whatever it is then) will far outstrip anything we have today.

Earth's technology has advanced at least by 1000 years since Leylin's reincarnation on the Magus world.  Earth will be extremely familiar with their own technology and would likely recognize the existence of the AI chip.  Hacking the AI chip wouldn't be an impossibility and likely would result in being able to hack Leylin's mind and soul too since that is how it's integrated now.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Leylin ahead of his time in inventing the A.I chip? I thought the premise of the beginning was that he was a pioneer in science and an experiment went terribly wrong. Now I'm sure they must have invented it after 1,000 years, but this is just to say that Leylin's A.I chip is more advanced(?)
    Additionally, the A.I chip doesn't just "speed up" as it progresses, I'm pretty sure it evolves in many facets along with Leylin.
    By the end of the novel, I really don't think there is any way to discern what is the A.I chip vs. Leylin. The chip has been melded into his character so thoroughly that I think it is safe to say they are one being.
  • edited July 2017
    @Hero Furry Meat Jelly  Well, I disagree but I appreciate your viewpoints.
  • @Hero Furry Meat Jelly Your argument has a big flaw. You are assuming that the flow of time is the same on the world that Leylin came from as the Magus world.

When Leylin goes to the Gods world he realizes that the flow of time on the two worlds is different. Since the story never goes back to Leylin's home world there is no way to know how much time has passed.
  • @Brega Yeah, time seems to be a little funky in this universe.  I don't think it runs all that differently though.  Say it runs twice as fast on the Magus World as it does on Earth that's still 500 years of advancement on Earth.  Actually the real universe does vary a bit in time, but generally you don't notice it until you are WAY too close to a very massive object like a black hole.  Planet masses don't do anything really to it.
  • I'll accept that he doesn't go back to Earth.
    However, I won't accept your lack of faith in the progress of Earth's technology.  :smiley:

For example, pull out your cellphone.  Show it to someone from just 20 years ago and they'd be really amazed.  Show it to someone from 100 years ago and they'd steal it and try to pull it apart and figure out how it worked....  Show it to someone from 1000 years ago and they'd burn you at the stake.

A 1000 years ago an abacus was the top-of-the-line calculator.  No matter how fast you make it work, there are some functions on it you can't do, BUT you can get that cellphone to do.  Similarly, computer chips come with certain functions built in and the abilities get better with every generation. 
    Compare a 8088xt verses a current Core i7 model.  Even if you speed up the 8088xt by a million times it still isn't going to compare favorably to a current Core i7 version.  That's just a difference of 35 years in production advances.  In 1000 years a modern computer chip (or whatever it is then) will far outstrip anything we have today.

Earth's technology has advanced at least by 1000 years since Leylin's reincarnation on the Magus world.  Earth will be extremely familiar with their own technology and would likely recognize the existence of the AI chip.  Hacking the AI chip wouldn't be an impossibility and likely would result in being able to hack Leylin's mind and soul too since that is how it's integrated now.
    Bolded is what I disagree with. True, earth's advancement of technology is pretty crazy, but even then we're only able to advance according to what we understand. Take robot for example, the concept of automaton has exists since hundreds of BC until the robot today and it's indeed pretty incredible, however, that's only because we have an increasingly profound understanding of the concept.

But what about soul? The concept of soul has been around even longer than automaton and there's very little to no progress about it. Science has never proven nor disproven the existence of the soul, why? Well obviously because there's not even a concrete, fallible way to prove such thing.
    Sean M. Carroll writes that for a soul to exist: "No only is new physics required, but dramatically new physics. Within QFT (Quantum Field Theory), there can't be a new collection of 'spirit particles' and 'spirit forces' that interact with our regular atoms, because we would have detected them in existing experiments."

So basically, we don't even understand anything about soul which has been going on for thousands of years or possibly longer, even if we're given another 1000 years, it's very unlikely that there's gonna be a major breakthrough on the subject. And even if there is, it still doesn't even matter because it's been stated multiple times that the path of Magi focuses highly on one's soul, any Magi worth their spiritual force can kill any earthling or destroy any computer with a thought, let alone Leylin's soul.
  • At the end of the book, when Leylin reached level 9, he was able to see other realities including Earth. Earth is not in the same reality of Magus World, when Leylin was under level 9, he cannot break barrier between realities, but once he reached level 9, he can travel to these realities. The book doens't mencion if he ever get back to Earth, but it is implied he could do so. At the end of the book, Leylin traveled to a technologicaly advanced world which resembled Earth (the book mencioned that it was a blue planet with advanced technology and they have chips) and he crushed them easily.