Red Storm by Cyungchan Noh

edited July 1 in Translations
Hello all,
Miraclerifle here. Been reading wuxia for a while and decided to take on the challenge of translating myself. Being Korean, I know no Chinese, so of course I am translating Korean ones! Red Storm is difficult to translate. So far, 829 Korean words and 3,431 characters (including spaces) has resulted in 1,373 English words and 7,475 characters. And that's only 5 pages of the raw! The raw for Book 1 Chapter 1 is 58 pages long. I swear it is freezing my computer just opening it. But I think I can take it on. I plan to slowly translate the whole thing if there is enough interest. I stopped it at the end of where the manhwa ends chapter 1 and tried to use the terms and spelling used in the manhwa for consistency. I used Pirma instead of Piruma though, as the author has specifically written Pirma in the raws. Please comment below to let me know if you would like me to continue!

And of course, if you see ways to improve the translation, do let me know.

MR

Red Storm

Book 1 – 1.1

Yulian Provoke.
A hero who, befitting his title of Desert Conqueror, swept the desert together with the Red Storm and unified the desert after hundreds of years.
Now I wish to start his story.

An outsider.
He was strong and became my teacher.

The boy was the healthiest and quickest of all his peers in the tribe. He was more thoughtful than anyone and his actions were heavy.

The boy, son of the Glow (coined from glowing and burning, describes the light of the tribe or King) of Pareia and the mother of Pareia, received a lot of affection from the members of the tribe due to his actions.

Yulian Provoke. He already had the qualities required of the next generation’s Glow. And even though he lost his mother at an early age, it was kind of sad to see him have such a mature reliability. The boy was riding on a Pirma, a type of animal used for traveling in the desert.
The boy was better than anybody else in the Pareia tribe when it came to riding a Pirma, he was so talented that even the few Pirma Masters in the tribe could not believe it. In fact, all members of the Pareia tribe were good at riding the Pirmas. Not only the Pareia tribe, all of the desert tribes were good at riding Pirmas.

This is because the Pirmas were the best animals to run through the rough and barren desert, and also because they did not consume much water, the most important resource in the desert. Such was the life of the desert people that regardless of boy or girl, as soon as they were of age and could hold on to the reins, they were placed on top of a Pirma.

But of all those desert people, Yulian’s talent could not be matched. In fact, he had such great breathing skills and balance that even if he was riding with a cow horn full of water, he would not spill a single drop.

The Pirma, carrying Yulian, ran quickly on top of the red but slightly yellowish desert sand.

He enjoyed riding the Pirma, especially when there was a lot on his mind. Even if it was a short run like this one, he felt the sensation throughout his body and he could breathe deeply. He could even forget the troublesome things in the speed. Family matters that became even more complicated once his mother passed away, the responsibilities as the Young Glow, he could forget everything while riding a Pirma.

Huh?

Julian frowned and focused on one spot. He could see something moving in the distance. Staring closely for a while longer, Yulian figured it was a person and started to mutter in amazement.

"The nearest oasis is more than a day’s walk on foot, how is a person here without a Pirma?

Yulian thought it might be someone expelled from another tribe and tried to not pay anymore attention.

All the desert tribes never killed, regardless of how severe the sins were. Instead, they just threw them in the desert, far away from an Oasis. They saw this as God’s judgement, and if they came back alive, they reduced the sentence and accepted them back. If they died in the desert, then that was it.

The weather in the desert was bipolar.

Half of the day was super hot, and the other half was so cold your body felt frozen. If you throw someone without anything into that kind of environment, probably nine hundred ninety nine of a thousand would die. And even that was a very favorable odd. 

There were no tribes who helped another tribe’s sinners. This was the rule of desert tribes. To be thrown away like this meant they committed a significant felony, so there was no reason to be compassionate. Yulian was planning to just pass by, but turned his head to look once more.

“Huh?”

Yulian made the confused noise as the person’s outfit was not an outfit from a desert tribe. It was one he had never seen before, even in the books describing the artifacts of the continent.

"Is it an outsider from the continent?"

If so, that explained how he got this far. From time to time, there were people who crossed this red desert to get from the southern continent to the northern continent. Most of them were aiming to shorten the travel time, but there were also occasional adventure parties. Most of those people failed. To cross the desert, you need the help of the desert tribes. Even a talented Road Finder (someone who finds roads, a travel guide per se) were useless in the desert; anybody wishing to use the desert roads had no other choice but to rely on the desert tribes.

No matter how low the amount of water, every oasis in the desert was under the control of the desert tribes. In addition, the endlessly blowing sand storms, and the most dangerous flowing sands were capable of swallowing up even the most talented individuals, and the desert was so big that even the people who have lived their whole life in the desert did not know where everything was located.

Yulian turned the Pirma around and headed for the man. As he looked closer, he could verify that he was not from the desert. 

He was an outsider.

“Old Man.”

Yulian got off the Pirma and called out loudly to the outsider. The white-haired outsider was sitting down with his eyes closed, as if he was very tired.

“Old Man.”

Yulian continued to call out to the outsider several times, but when there was no answer, he approached and touched the man to see if he had lost consciousness or already passed away.

As Yulian touched the old man’s shoulder, the man’s eyes opened wide. Even Yulian, who was very brave, was very surprised and immediately removed his hands.

“%#@$?”

The outsider spoke in words Yulian had never heard before.

Not only did Yulian know the desert language, he also knew all the languages of the Northern and Southern continent. Ever since he came up with a dream for the future, he made sure to learn all of these languages.

However, the words coming out of the old man were things he had ever heard before.

“Can you speak the language of the continent?”

Yulian said the same thing in both the Northern and Southern dialects but it seemed as if the old man did not understand any of it.

“&^%$#.”

The old man muttered to himself as if he realized that he could not communicate with Yulian.

Although they could not communicate, Yulian knew exactly what the old man would want most in this location.

He approached the Pirma and grabbed the large leather canteen from the saddle and handed it to the old man, making a drinking motion. The old man removed the lid from the canteen and drank the water.

"^%$#@."

The old man returned the canteen to Yulian and said something, but Yulian could not understand it.

He could not leave an old man he met for the first time in the desert; Yulian patted the Pirma’s saddle and motioned for the old man to get on. The old man shook his head and motioned Yulian to go first.

Yulian was bewildered but started to slowly move the Pirma. The old man started to follow behind.

'There’s no way he plans to follow the Pirma by walking, is there?'

Yulian laughed inside and continued to move slowly. The old man, seeming frustrated, tapped Yulian to get his attention and made a faster motion with his hands.

'I think this old man is a little crazy.'

Thinking like that, Yulian started to move a little faster as the old man indicated, but the old man quickly followed behind.

'This man runs pretty quickly. At this speed, even the famous warriors would be having a hard time…'

Curious, Yulian started to increase the Pirma’s speed little by little, but the old man continued to follow behind, walking leisurely without looking tired. Amused and curious, Yulian made the Pirma run at full speed.

“OH MY GOD!”

Comments

• edited June 30
    Thanks for the chapter, I was seriously hoping that someone would pick it up and begin translating as the manhwa is still one of my favourites so getting a chance to read the novel is awesome.

also this first part did a pretty good job of giving some background info on the mc and how the tribes operate, and I am looking forward to future chapters!

edit: one more matter, i posted the link to this translation on reddit 
    https://www.reddit.com/r/noveltranslations/comments/6kf54l/kr_red_storm_vol_1_ch1_part_1/?ref=share&ref_source=link
    hope you dont mind, if you would prefer to post yourself, than i apologise.
  • wow never thought this is from novel, gonna read it later, thanks for translating
  • Hell yeah, thank you, made this account just to thank you. I love the Manhwa, will be following your translation! 
  • Holy crap !! I never thought "Red storm" was from a novel !!! Awesome ! I really hope it's start to get more attention and more popular 

thx for the chapter !! !
  • WOOHOO!

You are doing god's work!
    Thank you for reminding me that this manhwa exists, and its novel too!
  • Thanks,  the manhwa was awesome, so thanks for taking up the novel and bringing more awesomeness to us.

• Thanks for the chapter, I was seriously hoping that someone would pick it up and begin translating as the manhwa is still one of my favourites so getting a chance to read the novel is awesome.

also this first part did a pretty good job of giving some background info on the mc and how the tribes operate, and I am looking forward to future chapters!

https://www.reddit.com/r/noveltranslations/comments/6kf54l/kr_red_storm_vol_1_ch1_part_1/?ref=share&ref_source=link
    DeathStroke, I had not even thought about reddit, thanks for posting. I will make sure to make an account and post there for future releases :)

• jmarcossc said:
    Hell yeah, thank you, made this account just to thank you. I love the Manhwa, will be following your translation! 
    Thanks for the support!
  • Thank you all.

P.S. I'm new to this; is there a way to quote more than one thing in a post?
  • Thanks for the chapter, I was seriously hoping that someone would pick it up and begin translating as the manhwa is still one of my favourites so getting a chance to read the novel is awesome.

DeathStroke, I had not even thought about reddit, thanks for posting. I will make sure to make an account and post there for future releases :)
    no worries, i will leave it to you than. 

Thank you all.

P.S. I'm new to this; is there a way to quote more than one thing in a post?
    yeah you can, after the first quote and your message below just click and enter and quote the second message and it would appear like this...
  • Really appreciate it
  • edited June 30
    NICE WORK REALLY!!!

• I have created this account just to thank you for picking this project! Red Storm has some kind of a fandom around the world, so there's a lot of people excited with the english translations! I enjoyed this first words very much, it's indeed very like the first chapter of the manhua!
  • so nice to see the novel finally finding a translator!!
    i just made this account to comment this aswell and i really hope that you will keep translating this one!!
    good luck for the next chapters!
  • Make that three, I also just created an account to comment. I greatly appreciate this translation, thank you :) I hope to see more! 
  • Four.:)
    This is great. Hoping to see more.:)

• Wow! Thank you all for your support. 1000 views in just over a day. Definitely a good motivation to work hard. I will make sure to get part 2 done tonight!
  • Next part is out...but apparently needs to be approved before it shows up. I'm not sure why (maybe it's too long?) but be on the lookout :) -MR
  • edited July 1
    Thank you all for the support. I was supposed to do other things this morning...but I got too excited about the 1000 views and started to translate. Just promise you won't tell my wife wink

Book 1-1.2 Master and Disciple (The titles are what I think makes sense for this section, and not by the author. If I see any comments about what may be a better title and I like it, I will most likely change it).

The old man was running next to a Pirma running at full speed. In fact, he even had a relaxed look on his face.

“Are you a wizard?”

(TL Note: Anybody else think of Hagrid telling Harry he’s a wizard? No? Maybe I’m just weird)

Yulian thought that the continent must have magic, similar to the spells of the Desert Tribes, and asked the old man. The old man only smiled back at him.

‘Ah! I forgot he could not understand me. But I heard that there was a spell for translating, if he is a wizard, why is he not using that spell?’

Yulian was curious but as they could not communicate, it would be a wasted effort to continue. Staring at the old man continuing to keep up, Yulian pushed the Pirma forward at full speed.

A short time later, Yulian arrived at his village and invited the old man to stay in his Paoe (term for the homes in the desert, approximately 2 meters tall with cylindrical walls and a round roof. The walls and roof were made with the branches of durable trees growing in the desert, with a white cloth on top, making it easy to disassemble and reassemble on the move).

The desert tribes enjoyed having guests and would treat them with the utmost care. Being a member of the tribe himself, Yulian decided to take care of the old man for the time being and invited him to stay in his Paoe.

That night, he introduced the old man to his family and the tribe’s warriors and urged them to let him stay there for a while. However, he did not say a word about the old man’s magical running abilities. The fact that he followed a Pirma at full speed was something he himself could not believe after seeing it with his own eyes. He also could not be rude and ask a guest to show others his abilities (TL: Not like he can talk to him anyways…)

Yulian and the old man started to live together in the Paoe.

The old man was a mysterious person. Most of the time, he just sat there with his eyes closed and breathing, but at night, he would go outside the Paoe and showed Yulian a lot of different things.

This was the first time Yulian learned that a person could move that quickly, that high, and that far.

None of the warriors he knew of in the desert could move in that fashion. Oddly, he only showed it to Yulian and nobody else.

During the day all he did was walk around the village observing various things or sit in the Paoe.

Yulian knew that this old man was not an ordinary person. He asked the old man to teach him things like the movement skills.

Although they could not communicate, in the last few days, he was able to develop some level of communication with the man through hand gestures and body movement. Smiling, the old man nodded his head and indicated that he wanted to learn how to read, write, and speak the language.

“We can teach each other.”

Yulian was delighted and started to teach the old man the language of the desert. And although he wanted to learn the old man’s movement skills, all the old man did was open his mouth. He did not show any intentions of teaching Yulian.

“Oh! You can’t teach me unless we can communicate!”

Yulian quickly understood the old man’s intentions and fully devoted himself to teaching the old man the language.

The old man was very smart. No, he was a genius. If you taught him something once, not only did he never forget, when it came to writing, he learned it even faster than speaking.

Exactly one moon cycle (TL: approximately a month) after Yulian started to teach the old man, the two of them were able to start having brief conversations. The only thing left for the old man to learn was figuring out where to use which word.

“Thank You.”

That was the first thing the old man said.

“Senior, you are very wise. You learned very quickly.”

“It’s because you were a good teacher.”

“That was just the desert language. If Senior would like, I can also teach you the languages of the Northern and Southern continents.”

“Right, there’s a lot more for me to learn.”

With the old man’s reply, Yulian slyly asked.

“Senior, I wish to learn the movement skills you demonstrated…”

“I could not teach you because we could not communicate. It’s difficult to teach what I know without being able to explain.”

“I look forward to it.”

The old man responded to Yulian with a smile.

“You have a sturdy foundation that is suitable for learning martial arts. How old are you?”

“I am thirteen years old.”

The old man was delighted at Yulian’s answer.

“Looking at your physique, I thought you would be much older. Thank goodness. When it comes to martial arts, it is better to learn it from a young age. The mental art is less effective the later you start.”

Yulian could not understand some of the terms the old man was using, but seeing the excitement in the old man, he just thought it must be good.

“Hmm…what kind of relationship should we have?”

The old man was seriously worrying about what kind of relationship to have with the boy in front of him. It seems like nothing, but it was a serious concern.

‘In this world, there is a different religion and even the race is different. There will be a lot of difficulties taking him as a disciple…’

The old man did not take any disciples even in his own world. At that time, everything was annoying.

‘But I also don’t want to teach him half-heartedly. After all, this boy has saved my life…’

It’s not like he could be angry at the Goddess who threw him in this world, but he had been lost in the desert for three days.

At first, he was confident. ‘I just need to use the movement of the stars to figure out where people live.’ But soon he learned that wasn’t the case. In a place where he could not get a good sense of direction, he pretty much ended up just going around in circles. Astrology was no help, and there was a limit to using his martial arts to search the whole desert.

On the first day, there were two suns, on the second day there were three, and on the third day, it went back to just one. Even the location of the sun continued to change and the moon was the same at night.

It was impossible to determine a sense of direction.

He thought that ‘the Goddess must have had a reason to send me here so I know I won’t die like this,’ but he was so irritated that he just sat down and spent another three days sitting there. After all that, Yulian was the first person he met in this world.

‘When did I, Chun Myung Hoon care about such a thing? If I like it I like it, if I don’t, I don’t. Since he helped me, I should help fulfill his wish.’

Chun Myung Hoon made the decision to make this young boy his disciple.

“You cannot pass on martial arts to just anyone. You must show me proper etiquette as your master. Will you become my disciple?”

Because Chun Myung Hoon used Chinese for terms he did not know, Yulian was unable to completely understand what he was saying. (TL: The term used in the raws is 중원, which can mean Center, but it is also the name of a place in China, Zhōngyuán, so I’m going to go with China/Chinese when I see the term. If you have other thoughts, do let me know.)

“Master… etiquette… disciple… what does that mean?”

“The person who teaches is the master, the one learning is the disciple, and etiquette is the manner in which a disciple serves his master.”

Yulian nodded his head happily to Chun Myung Hoon’s answer.

“I wish to be your disciple.”

“Do you have a religion?”

“No.”

“Okay. From here on, you must kowtow to me nine times, kowtow to the founder, and accept a new religion.”

Quickly, Yulian kowtowed to Chun Myung Hoon, kowtowed towards the East, and first learned the doctrine. Only then could he learn the martial arts and mental arts. (TL: I’m guessing CMH assumed his world is to the East? Not sure of why he kowtowed that way)

“Hmm…my last name is Chun and my name is Myung Hoon. What is your name?”

“My name is Yulian Provoke.”

“Then should I call you Provoke?”

“Provoke is my last name. You can call me Yulian.”

“Your name is quite odd.”

To Yulian, Chun Myung Hoon was even more peculiar.

So the old man and the young boy became Master and Disciple.

• Thank you for the release! :)
  • thanks for the chapter. about the 1st note truthfully i didnt even think of that but it does make a little sense i guess... 

wait Yulian is 13, its been a while since i read the manhua but did it mention that he was 13? (no need to answer it was a rhetorical question)

a good chapter (part), it was very enjoyable to read thanks once again. 
  • thanks for the chapter. about the 1st note truthfully i didnt even think of that but it does make a little sense i guess... 

wait Yulian is 13, its been a while since i read the manhua but did it mention that he was 13? (no need to answer it was a rhetorical question)

a good chapter (part), it was very enjoyable to read thanks once again. 
    The manhua says he is 15, but the raw says 13, so I left it as is. Who knows? Maybe later it will change! I thought it was odd that he was so young too.
  • The Webtoon is based on the Novel, they are not the same, they split as early as chapter 1. This has been stated by the artists I believe here I think http://www.viva100.com/main/view.php?key=20160803010000786. I'm sure Miraclerifle can understand it and give us a clue. :)
  • Thank you soooooo much Miraclerifle for the amazing surprise, this is absolutely amazing.....
    You have one more fan to read your Red Storm translation.... Please keep doing this awesome missionnof yours and try tobcatch up with mangacow releases.....
  • The Webtoon is based on the Novel, they are not the same, they split as early as chapter 1. This has been stated by the artists I believe here I think http://www.viva100.com/main/view.php?key=20160803010000786. I'm sure Miraclerifle can understand it and give us a clue. :)
    It does indeed state that the webtoon takes a different direction from the novel. Doesn't say starting when, but I presume we will soon find out.
  • Nice, keep up the good work.
  • Thanks for your hard work
    I really enjoyed reading this as I was waiting for it ever since I found out about the novel
    I hope this becomes one of the regular translations here.
  • Awesome.Keep up the good work. been waiting for this to be translated. Thank you.
  • Not sure if this would help you, but would suggest using a machine translation to help you translate faster maybe, then edit/translate using you knowledge of korean? however that depend on how good the machine translation actually works. Anyway keep up the good work.. look forward to reading translations. 
  • Narthor said:
    Not sure if this would help you, but would suggest using a machine translation to help you translate faster maybe, then edit/translate using you knowledge of korean? however that depend on how good the machine translation actually works. Anyway keep up the good work.. look forward to reading translations. 
    I think machine translation is an art in itself; half of the translation it provides is terrible xD