Does the MC Ever Become Human?

Yes that is a bait title for a reason.

I began reading this story over this past weekend and am now at chapter 169 and I just have a few questions for those who are current in the series. What I'm looking for is not so much direct spoilers, but more of a question about personality maturity of the MC and if it happens.
What I mean is this, the story is awesome when it comes to the fight scenes and also the details of how a decision is made in any given situation, on that front I give the story 2 thumbs up and is way better than some of these seemingly low budget Wuxia stories I've read.

With that said, I cannot relate to the MC at all. Usually a novel that I really love (like Coiling Dragon, Desolate Era or Douluo Dalu type stories) are either filled with various side characters I can relate to or at the very least the MC himself is someone who I internally vibe with. Any experienced novel reader knows you have to relate to someone in the story you are reading in order to feel a sense of immersion at the deepest level. However the MC in WMW seems to be either a robot emotionally (that's giving him the benefit of the doubt) or just pure evil and the Author doesn't want to admit it that way.  I say this based off a few factors, when he first arrived in the world he was in a land of Dark Magi, his murderous tendencies could be rationalized in a way of saying "When in Rome do as the Romans do".  Even though I personally did not agree with how easily he was able to take slaves and also kill innocents just to get into a secret plane, but I was willing to accept those actions because ever since he arrived in this unknown world, doing what you wanted seemed to be what everyone else was doing anyways as long as they had power, so we could say he just didn't know any better...

But then he arrives in a land of white magi, people attempting to live in peace and prosperity, here he has the opportunity to realize there are good people in this world and he even joins a good organization filled with good people...but then even when peace was offered, he still behind the scenes decides to go hang with pedophiles, rapists, and serial killers and even engage in the killing of innocents all so he can get benefits of resources....This is pure evil. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind reading a story about an evil main character, heck I love the novel "Overlord" even though the MC is basically a villain in that story. The difference is, in Overlord the MC still portrays his emotions, even if he isn't lead by emotions, we can see that he still "feels".  Whether a good guy or bad guy, what makes a person human is his feelings. Now this WMW MC is portrayed as a genius scientists in his last life, they did not say he was an evil mad scientist, just a normal really smart scientist, how is it he has no feelings when he murders people in this world? If the logic is that he is so logical that he only thinks with his brain and never with his heart, well that just doesn't make any sense. Even if he is SUPER logical and rational, he should still be HUMAN. Scientists still have emotions, but in this story he seems to not care about anyone but himself, his goal seems to be to search for truth and power...but for what? When he becomes the most powerful mage in the world, what will he do with that power? Protect anyone? Save anyone? If he has no emotions towards anyone at all then I may have to drop this series because the crux of the issue is, I cannot relate to such a robot...

Therefore I ask you all, does this guy at a later time start to care about anyone other than himself? Does he ever feel remorse from the innocents he has murdered? Does he ever show any actual human traits or does he continue to just grow more powerful while milking any and every system in place of society just for his own benefit? No matter how cool he is in fights, a cold hearted robot isn't a personality I'd waste my time reading about. Please tell me before I waste 600+ chapters on this.

Comments

• edited June 2017
    you just need to see things from his point of view.
    first of all the mindsetting of almost any magi is that of equivalent exchange. why do things for others without benefits? pure logic if you ask me, but thats only if "strangers" are involved. but thats the second point - magi seek no friends, only the truth. all those cunning old magi are not to be trusted. trusting people without holding onto their jewels means almost certain betrayal and in that sense - death. so they go full throttle pro/contra and constantly weight the odds. again at least for me its pure logic not to drag yourself kneedeep into... for strangers and/or people not to be trusted.
    not everybody is of one mind and thats good! in this case leylin doesnt care for others as much as he cares for himself. so why risk something if it doesnt benefit you or if the odds are simply not in your favor? dying with your sweetheart does not sound as good as avenging her.
    and thats the next one - in those shounen storys its most of the time a h(cr)appy go lucky ending. yea dude you just survived a nuke just cause youre friends with the mc - sounds about right. do you prefer storys in which the sidechars go toe to toe with the mc or at least can somewhat keep up? like the balls sucking jiang chen from dragon marked war god? oh yea thats my friend and since he is, he got a powerful bloodline/ultra rare grade talent and if not he will like sleep a 100 chapters only to miraculously wake up a few times stronger and somewhat on par with me. damn thats what i hate the most. (only translator/editors notes are worse than that since they rip you out of your fantasy with those meaningles infos)
    i didnt need linley hating delia to hate her. that came from her almost noexistend personality but she still got so much sceentime.
    magi are not human anymore. humans are like ants to them and the same goes for lower ranked magi. whilst not wanting to stomp them, if its necessary you certainly will do. and maybe youre a terribly good guy and mourn their death but lets be real - a few hours later its not like youre still thinking about them or like you still care. and its not like leylin always invites trouble. dont want to spoiler but he will be played and almost left with no other choice at times - other times the pro of killing ants outweights the contra. thats all. simple isnt it? hes just one hell of a pragmatic bastard.

dont wanna sound like an asshole but dude this is just not made for you. try reading naruto, since it perfectly fits your needs
  • edited June 2017
    first of all the mindsetting of almost any magi is that of equivalent exchange. why do things for others without benefits? pure logic if you ask me, but thats only if "strangers" are involved. but thats the second point - magi seek no friends, only the truth. all those cunning old magi are not to be trusted. trusting people without holding onto their jewels means almost certain betrayal and in that sense - death. so they go full throttle pro/contra and constantly weight the odds. again at least for me its pure logic not to drag yourself kneedeep into... for strangers and/or people not to be trusted.
    not everybody is of one mind and thats good! in this case leylin doesnt care for others as much as he cares for himself. so why risk something if it doesnt benefit you or if the odds are simply not in your favor? dying with your sweetheart does not sound as good as avenging her.
    and thats the next one - in those shounen storys its most of the time a h(cr)appy go lucky ending. yea dude you just survived a nuke just cause youre friends with the mc - sounds about right. do you prefer storys in which the sidechars go toe to toe with the mc or at least can somewhat keep up? like the balls sucking jiang chen from dragon marked war god? oh yea thats my friend and since he is, he got a powerful bloodline/ultra rare grade talent and if not he will like sleep a 100 chapters only to miraculously wake up a few times stronger and somewhat on par with me. damn thats what i hate the most. (only translator/editors notes are worse than that since they rip you out of your fantasy with those meaningles infos)
    i didnt need linley hating delia to hate her. that came from her almost noexistend personality but she still got so much sceentime.
    magi are not human anymore. humans are like ants to them and the same goes for lower ranked magi. whilst not wanting to stomp them, if its necessary you certainly will do. and maybe youre a terribly good guy and mourn their death but lets be real - a few hours later its not like youre still thinking about them or like you still care. and its not like leylin always invites trouble. dont want to spoiler but he will be played and almost left with no other choice at times - other times the pro of killing ants outweights the contra. thats all. simple isnt it? hes just one hell of a pragmatic bastard.

dont wanna sound like an asshole but dude this is just not made for you. try reading naruto, since it perfectly fits your needs
  • Noup! He does not give a shit about enyone. And he is pure evil.
    He does have a wife in the future and also some children but it's all for a reasons.
    But I still love this story and enjoy reading every chapter because I love how he outsmarts all the oponents being them stronger or not.
    His rationality + A.I Chip = OP
    Also, I love this story because it's way different then all the other novels I have read so far.
  • Lol, he isn't pure evil in principal. It is just that many readers sees him like that. He kind of does everything for power.
  • He's not pure evil... The simple fact that people say this just means their either ignorant or haven't even bothered to pay attention to the novel.
    He does things for his gain, not because he loves to screw people over. Leylin will gladly ignore people if they aren't obstructing his goal(s) or don't benefit him, and doesn't go out of his way to massacre people for no reason.
    Yes, there are some exceptions, but being "pure evil" isn't his mode of operation.
  • edited May 2017
    You do realize, that if i kill someone and say it's for my gain, then logically speaking the world can view this as an evil action right. Regardless of how I internally rationalize the action, the world sees the actions of humans not their thoughts. Therefore his thoughts are completely irrelevant to his actions, his actions are considered pure evil. If you don't understand that then you are the ignorant one here. You say he doesn't go out of his way to massacre the innocent, true but if innocents are in his way to gain resources he has killed them with no remorse. From the perspective of those normal humans with no magical power who have been killed by him, how do you justify to them that they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time? His actions in killing them when they were no threat and also not even part of the magi world, are evil...purely.

Thank you for confirming that even in later chapters he still never learns to care for anything or anyone but himself and his own benefits like a self centered prick.
  • edited May 2017
    Simba6 said:
    You do realize, that if i kill someone and say it's for my gain, then logically speaking the world can view this as an evil action right. Regardless of how I internally rationalize the action, the world sees the actions of humans not their thoughts. Therefore his thoughts are completely irrelevant to his actions, his actions are considered pure evil. If you don't understand that then you are the ignorant one here. You say he doesn't go out of his way to massacre the innocent, true but if innocents are in his way to gain resources he has killed them with no remorse. From the perspective of those normal humans with no magical power who have been killed by him, how do you justify to them that they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time? His actions in killing them when they were no threat and also not even part of the magi world, are evil...purely.

Thank you for confirming that even in later chapters he still never learns to care for anything or anyone but himself and his own benefits like a self centered prick.
    Leylin isn't pure evil, but he's definitely close.  If I had to describe his character in terms of D&D, I would describe him as a Chaotic Neutral.  So not quite as bad as a Chaotic Evil character but still close.  Also, I too watch (not read) Overlord, but for different reasons.  I watch Overlord for the badass moments from Ainz when he completely dominates enemies, WMW has the exact same appeal for me.

EDIT: Something else I'd like to point out is that perhaps the reason you're not enjoying this novel as much as others is actually due to you judging Leylin's actions using the standards of our world.  In the Magus world, normal humans are seen as at the same level as cattle.  Sheep for the slaughter.  So if you want to say that Leylin is pure evil, then you would also have to say that the entire Magus world is pure evil.
    Absolute Choice is the first novel that I've read on Wuxiaworld that I genuinely do not like.
  • edited May 2017
    I guess my biggest gripe with this story is that in a pile of crappy wuxia novels with authors who do not put much detail in the decision making process of the main character, this story shines like gold and you really get to understand the psyche of the MC.. But because it shines like gold it also makes me subconsciously expect the very basic range of emotions that any human should have and since they don't appear it throws me off.

There are times where he runs into an opportunity where if he thought of things from a positive perspective, utilizing his talents he could gather a circle of friends and build an epic team to deal with issues that are bigger than himself, but every single time such opportunities are in front of him he brushes them off. He'll pretend to friend people while not caring about them at all, he'll join an organization while not caring about whether it survives or not, the moment too much danger comes the first thought he thinks is to move to a safer location instead of passionately helping anyone through it....I guess that's my biggest issue, he has NO passion!! How can I as a reader give a care about any of the characters he meets, any of the hot chicks or teachers or fellow magi, because the MC doesn't care about any of them i also don't care about them...who can continuously follow a story where the character doesn't care and you don't care and the only thing anyone cares about is when the next fight scene will happen? Ugh!! I gave up the stories "Invincible", and "Emperors Domination" specifically because in these aspects the authors don't seem to care about anything other than detailing the next time the MC massacres his enemies... And then I find this story and it's filled with such potential but in the end becomes similar to the other 2 stories I mentioned above (example - MC who always has the perfect idea, perfect backup plan, perfect trump card for any situation no matter how illogical it is and can thus without help from outsiders deal with all situations alone because he's god...).   *pulls out hair*
  • edited May 2017
    Also @_Retaliate_ , yeah Overlord is awesome, but when reading the novel the majority pure side story content with very brief situations of epic fights. The author really puts detail into us understanding the thought process of not just the MC, but also his enemies, and his potential allies. We understand that although his servants are NPC's, they have independent thought and desires, and the MC actually cares about satisfying those desires, he feels happy when his allies are happy. So even though he's technically on the bad side, it's easy to still like him in a twisted way because we can relate to what we might feel like if we were in the same situation as him. We can relate because the author purposely helps us to understand his "feelings".
  • Simba6 said:

I already stated, yes he does conduct actions that some would consider to be "pure evil," but his character as a whole is not wholly evil.
    I don't want to get into this whole killing someone for own gain thing. So, you're saying if I kill someone in self defense (and in my own gain technically), then it's considered pure evil? Lol, no. Leylin killed/crippled the Blazing Monarch essentially because he was mortally threatened, and yes, it did benefit him, but it's not like he would have killed her if she didn't threaten him.
    While I do understand various points you made, you need to delve into further detail (which you shouldn't to avoid going off topic) if you truly want to make your point.
    I already gave you a very valid counter argument, which was exactly what happened in the novel. His thoughts are not irrelevant to his actions, have you read this novel at all past the beginning arcs? Come on. You're trying to call me ignorant when you don't even know these facts. Yes, he MAY have some actions like what you described, but they're not the majority.
    -----
    In conclusion, yes, he only cares about himself, but isn't pure evil in doing so.
    I think your problem with the novel is that you simply don't like this self centered type of character, which is fine, but don't come in here and slander him calling him "pure evil."
  • by saying Pure evil I mean he is pure evil by our world standarts but in the novel you could consider him being just every other "Dark Mage" just much more smarter. They are living in the different world, and the law is much more different. If you are powerful you will rule and get respect but if you are weak you will probably die or noone will ever know about you. And even if you are powerfull peaple will still envie you and will try to kill you and gain benefits from you. The world Leylin is living in... you could say it's a "dark world" so you can not really judge his actions by our world standarts.
    He told himself since the very beginning that his goal is to achieve immortality and to be the strongest, not to protect anyone with this power but to achieve his own goal.
    Also, why I really love this novel is because it's exactly different in this way. For me all these novels where MC always say's words, "I want to be strong so that I can protect everyone" is already old news, it's always the same thing and same ideology.
    It's a pitty that I can not read the RAW'S and finish it in one go otherwise I would have already finished  WMW.
    Anyways, if you are not into Leylins character then don't bother because he will not change in character. But you will miss out on amazing story.
  • atleast leylin knows when to laugh or cry unlike linley. 
  • MjesticSirloin said:
    atleast leylin knows when to laugh or cry unlike linley. 
    Lol, but does he know how high is Mt. Tai?
  • Simba6 said:
    MjesticSirloin said:
    atleast leylin knows when to laugh or cry unlike linley. 
    Lol, but does he know how high is Mt. Tai?
    Lmfao, he shud know DD Mt. Tai at least.
  • Lol, he isn't pure evil in principal. It is just that many readers sees him like that. He kind of does everything for power.
    Yeah they keep putting this pure evil narrative on him. He only did really 2 evil shits in the novel tbh. Plus Leylin said day one how Magus are you thought it was going to change with naive hero ideas. lol. He's one of the most consistent MCs around. He was pretty much like this since the beginning of the novel. Plus the Light Mage in this novel is just as bad as Dark Mages just love to be hypocrites about it. If you think he's evil now when he does the worst shit he done in the novel you really might drop it. 
  • Leylin is just a Child to Daoist Gu in term of Evil character.
    The MC of Daoist Gu is the real psycopath. He is the most f*beep* Evil MC. He killed innocent Children and little girl only to make an artifact and a pill. 
    F*Beep....* 
  • Leylin is just a Child to Daoist Gu in term of Evil character.
    The MC of Daoist Gu is the real psycopath. He is the most f*beep* Evil MC. He killed innocent Children and little girl only to make an artifact and a pill. 
    F*Beep....* 
    Oh I've read the spoilers. The most evil thing Leylin did was when he was in the God World. He set up a chemical weapon to a bunch of innocents then cured some just so they can worship him. 
  • Simba6 said:
    There are times where he runs into an opportunity where if he thought of things from a positive perspective, utilizing his talents he could gather a circle of friends and build an epic team to deal with issues that are bigger than himself, but every single time such opportunities are in front of him he brushes them off. He'll pretend to friend people while not caring about them at all
    lol this is probably one of the most absurd things I've read here, especially considering that it's WMW.
    Circle of friends and building an epic team - Right.... this sounds incredibly shounen-ish that rarely ever worked well in a xianxia (especially, like I said, in a novel such as WMW). I think you haven't read that many xianxia but in many of these stories, MC has virtually no one that can keep up with him and his cultivation. Those circle of friends will only drag you down when your cultivation has grown leaps and bound above theirs.

Simba6 said:
    he'll join an organization while not caring about whether it survives or not, the moment too much danger comes the first thought he thinks is to move to a safer location instead of passionately helping anyone through it....I guess that's my biggest issue, he has NO passion!!
    He's joining an organization not for sentiments, if it gets dangerous then why the hell would he be fighting for an organization that won't even care to act against him if it gives them benefit?

Simba6 said:
    How can I as a reader give a care about any of the characters he meets, any of the hot chicks or teachers or fellow magi, because the MC doesn't care about any of them i also don't care about them...who can continuously follow a story where the character doesn't care and you don't care and the only thing anyone cares about is when the next fight scene will happen? Ugh!!
    That's your problem, since when do we, as a reader, require the MC to care about another character in order for us to care about them as well? I've seen a lot of people liking the villains more rather than the MC in a lot of cases (in /r/Berserk, there's even some people who like Griffith more than Guts), so this is pretty absurd here.

Simba6 said:
    And then I find this story and it's filled with such potential but in the end becomes similar to the other 2 stories I mentioned above
    That's because you're expecting a wrong thing. Reading a synopsis alone gave me enough idea of what to expect in this novel, and after reading over 100 chapters, one should already understand the MC enough to enjoy it.
  • @Coruscan valid points, and as I said before, this novel simply is not for the OP, if he really wants an MC that isn't "pure evil" (which Leylin is not btw).

• Yeah OP I can tell you like shounen stories. Other than the killing Leylin is like most people in real life believe it or not. You might as well stopped reading a lot of Chinese fantasy novels since they do a lot of mass killings. I can tell you right now a lot of people that read CN novels now probably use to watch a lot of anime/read manga. They got tired of naive stupid MCs that always forgive. 
  • edited June 2017

dont wann sound like an asshole but dude this is just not made for you. try reading naruto, since it perfectly fits your needs
  • The MC isn't pure evil but hes not far. Unlike pure evil, all of his evil is for something. A lot of people find this unacceptable, however I think it is totally reasonable. In fact this is the only realistic novel IMO. Being "human" as the orginal post mentions is simply a set of thoughts imposed by society and processed by our brains as "the way to be". By training, Magus's essentially transcend. This is the case for the body, the magical power, the soul but also the thought process. They dedicate their lives to the search for the thruth. If they can't even fullfil their lives easily, how could they bother with others? Exactly like how you would use horses for transportation or cows for milk/meat, Magus treat others the same. Being born of the same race.doesm't make you a being on the same.level. I'm actually surprised that people think this is abnormal since even the world you live in is based of people using others. No, and I guarantee you, no organization was successful in controlling their fates without turning their backs on what you call "humanity". And no, companies like Apple arent in that rank. Things like the Federal Reserve (made by 6 men), which control ALL the money in thw world, have only gotten to where they are by literally lying to millions, assassinating those with big mouths, playing the system, Literally robbing the world and profiting of off others misery (debt based system) are the only ones who have risen to true power. Now, take multiple of those "twisted" entities, make them a single person (no chance of changing oayhs), add to them the delusions caused by living for more then a thousand years and see if you can handle them.while being human. You will either die not knowing how you played yourself or stay at the bottom rug your whole life if you try to stand on the same stage as them. Leylin obviously doesn't want to be one of those bottom rugs, so he adapts. And he is "acting like a romian in Rome" just not "acting like a bottom rug romian (light/dark magi) in rome".

In my opinion, WMW is to a large extent a reflection of our society.
  • WMW gives people the feeling that LL will do anything for power and that is true compared to his past life due to moral economic and social reason he could not reach the apex of scientific understanding.that is why he wishes to bypass all passed-life rules and even though he commits evil that is because he has a reason and that is why he hates justice ,doing good for no reason even if it may endanger ones life he finds it both illogical and hypocritical.
  • he also very much hates things like luck or fate or destiny which are things that hold say over his life or death(he hates that feeling)
  • he's a scientist who's got a bone called immortality and doesn't care what needs to be done to achieve it. fate or destiny is an uncontrollable variable and all such variables are usually frowned upon in research
  • I've been able to start reading this again (made it to chapter 384 today) and I realize that as long as I tell myself ahead of time not to expect emotional attachment to anyone outside of himself then the story becomes pretty awesome and hilarious. 

People earlier were saying I should be into Shounen manga instead of Xanxia? I guess i don't quite understand all the ways these stories are distinguished, but my current favorite Chinese novels are "Doulu Dalu", "Coiling Dragon", and "Shen Yin Wang Zuo" (This story made by the same guy who makes Doulu Dalu). I also loved Overlord. All of the stories mentioned have some pretty decisive Main Characters, but they still feel human in that they have people they care about and they are willing to utilize their relationships for benefits in a positive way even in a world of chaos and death. 

Once I got it into my mind that this Leylin guy is basically a villain, and I began reading the story with that perpective, the story WMW is pretty cool. In one way of thinking we can say this MC truly believes in freedom of expression, freedom from what his so called friends or enemies may think, he does whatever he wants for his own benefits and everyone else can die lmao. I've found myself laughing in quite a few situations. 

Therefore I suppose I'll say this story is 5/5 most unique Chinese novel I've read. 
  • So OP like MCs that are hypocrites like the mc of against the gods and lots of other novels. 

Do you know what "pure evil" is ? I doubt you do since you call leylin a "pure evil". In my honest opinion, since reading xianxia, Leylin is the best character in my book.
  • I'm glad you started seeing it from the correct perspective. The MC is a Psychopath. He has no empathy to anyone else. He does not feel remorse for his action. Those are the hallmark signs of a Psychopath. The MC is the definition of the End Boss of a good book, he IS Evil. You can see this on how he treats the Hero in the underworld at the end of his destiny as well as at the end of the whole book. He is also strongly marked by his time as a Dark Mage and basically never changes. 
  • edited October 2017
    Simba6 said:
    I've been able to start reading this again (made it to chapter 384 today) and I realize that as long as I tell myself ahead of time not to expect emotional attachment to anyone outside of himself then the story becomes pretty awesome and hilarious. 

People earlier were saying I should be into Shounen manga instead of Xanxia? I guess i don't quite understand all the ways these stories are distinguished, but my current favorite Chinese novels are "Doulu Dalu", "Coiling Dragon", and "Shen Yin Wang Zuo" (This story made by the same guy who makes Doulu Dalu). I also loved Overlord. All of the stories mentioned have some pretty decisive Main Characters, but they still feel human in that they have people they care about and they are willing to utilize their relationships for benefits in a positive way even in a world of chaos and death. 

Once I got it into my mind that this Leylin guy is basically a villain, and I began reading the story with that perpective, the story WMW is pretty cool. In one way of thinking we can say this MC truly believes in freedom of expression, freedom from what his so called friends or enemies may think, he does whatever he wants for his own benefits and everyone else can die lmao. I've found myself laughing in quite a few situations. 

Therefore I suppose I'll say this story is 5/5 most unique Chinese novel I've read. 
    That's nice, what I found absurd previously was the fact that you expect a shounen-ish troupe to happen with someone like Leylin. It might help if you take a look at D&D's alignment https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alignment_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

Many shounen MC are Lawful Good or Neutral Good while many xianxia MC are Chaotic Neutral.
    A small minority such as Leylin however, is a rare Neutral Evil.