Reverend Insanity / Daoist Gu (蛊真人)

Novel info: http://www.novelupdates.com/series/daoist-gu/
Raw: http://www.piaotian.com/bookinfo/3/3355.html

- Spoiler discussion -
Anyone else here reading this novel in chinese?

Is Fang Zheng the biggest idiot in the story and does he have the worst fate out of all the characters?

Also does your skin crawl when you read this novel from all the gory violence that Fang Yuan does...

古月方源 - “当困境来临时,要把心交给希望。”
Tagged:

Comments

• edited April 2017
    A review from NU:

I find it a real shame that there are only 6 chapters currently translated for this series (which is part of the reason of why I'm writing a review for it, hopefully it will get more attention)

I highly recommend this novel if you're tired of storylines from the good guy's point of view or just like evil MCs in general. What sets this apart for me from the generic evil MC novel is that it doesn't try to rub it in your face that the MC is evil : most of them make a show of mentioning mindless slaughter (the gorier the better), or including lots of NSFW scenes. Most of the time that kind of approach falls flat for me though, turning the novel into one-dimensional depictions of good vs evil.Here, the MC is simply what he is, plain and simple : someone who wants to reach the topmost level of cultivation so that he could have eternal life. He's incredibly focused at it, and he doesn't want to be held back by the moral conventions of the "correct path", emotion, etc., hence his decision to travel the Devil Path (he's incredibly similar to the MC from Warlock of the Magus World, but less psychopathic; he doesn't get a kick twisting people to his will, he's all business). He's very cold blooded and calculating, but he's not a prick; in fact he can be very sociable at times, usually when he's setting someone up.The cultivation is unique as well, with insects being used as material representations of world concepts : kill a wild beast, and there's a chance you retrieve an insect representing that beast's strength. Build that insect up, and you get to use that strength for your own. Same thing for that beast's defense, stamina, etc. Other insects include something that represents moonlight - build it up, and you're capable of long range attacks with arcs made of moonlight. So on and so forth. The insects have their own cultivation level aside from the user, and there's recipes where different insects can be joined up to get more powerful ones.Plenty of worldbuilding as well. The world is divided into 5 separate regions, with each one having a distinct culture and flavor.Currently, I'm at the latest RAW (c1671) and I can say that there are no boring story arcs. There's the occasional ho-hum chapter, but then every web novel has that. :P Daoist Gu has this way of reinventing itself every now and then, keeping things relatively fresh.
    "What fun would it be to become the king of the Tower? Tell Zahard to keep his boring seat. I will get out of the Tower." - Urek Mazino
  • Another review from NU:

It's a different kind of cultivating novel. In this novel insects are part of cultivation. The cultivation system has 10 level, there are not much differences between the first 5 lvl except for the amount of energy you have, but after lvl 6 there are huge changes(only after lvl 6 you will count as immortal and your lifespan will greatly increase). Insects also have 10 level, but are much harder to cultivate the higher you go. These insects basically always give you 1 ability or have auxillary uses. For example one can boost your speed for a certain amount of time, another one can boost the defensive capabilities of your skin and others can shoot a fireball. You can split them into attack, defense, speed, "awareness"(hearing, sightboost), auxillary(itembox) and ones that can boost your cultivation speed or energy regeneration(healing insects are another group). Our MC changes his insects threw the novel and so does his fighting style. The novel is about a youth who is born with poor talent, that cultivated thew many hardships to overcome his innate talent and becomes stronger and stronger until one day he manages to cultivate a Spring and Autumn Cicada. Because this insect was coveted by everyone and he has done many evil deeds in the past to cultivate it(the insect) he gets hunted down, at the final moment he chooses to use the ability of the Spring and Autumn Cicada to go back in time.

The MC is rather cold but he isn't a ruthless monster, he treats all living beings as equally, so he doesn't really care if he kills someone or something(would you care if you stamp on an ant? That's basically the MCs mentallity). If it is a threat he kills it, if not he doesn't care and trys to enhance his own strengh by any means
    Because of his innate talent he couldn't break through the 3lvl without external help and refined a relic that needed a herbivore to devour a young virgin with good talent(he used the granddaughter of someone who made things difficult for the MC and the granddaughter annoyed him, blame her bad luck that he needed this relic)Overall this novel is pretty good and definitly unique, it's interesting to see all those different kind of insects cultivator. But the MC is a cultivating freak so if you hope for a novel with good romace or don't like a coldhearted MC you better not read it. Otherwise I would definitly recommend this novel to everyone who is already fead up with the standard xianxia novels.
    "What fun would it be to become the king of the Tower? Tell Zahard to keep his boring seat. I will get out of the Tower." - Urek Mazino
  • Akashura said:
    A review from NU:

I find it a real shame that there are only 6 chapters currently translated for this series (which is part of the reason of why I'm writing a review for it, hopefully it will get more attention)

I highly recommend this novel if you're tired of storylines from the good guy's point of view or just like evil MCs in general. What sets this apart for me from the generic evil MC novel is that it doesn't try to rub it in your face that the MC is evil : most of them make a show of mentioning mindless slaughter (the gorier the better), or including lots of NSFW scenes. Most of the time that kind of approach falls flat for me though, turning the novel into one-dimensional depictions of good vs evil.Here, the MC is simply what he is, plain and simple : someone who wants to reach the topmost level of cultivation so that he could have eternal life. He's incredibly focused at it, and he doesn't want to be held back by the moral conventions of the "correct path", emotion, etc., hence his decision to travel the Devil Path (he's incredibly similar to the MC from Warlock of the Magus World, but less psychopathic; he doesn't get a kick twisting people to his will, he's all business). He's very cold blooded and calculating, but he's not a prick; in fact he can be very sociable at times, usually when he's setting someone up.The cultivation is unique as well, with insects being used as material representations of world concepts : kill a wild beast, and there's a chance you retrieve an insect representing that beast's strength. Build that insect up, and you get to use that strength for your own. Same thing for that beast's defense, stamina, etc. Other insects include something that represents moonlight - build it up, and you're capable of long range attacks with arcs made of moonlight. So on and so forth. The insects have their own cultivation level aside from the user, and there's recipes where different insects can be joined up to get more powerful ones.Plenty of worldbuilding as well. The world is divided into 5 separate regions, with each one having a distinct culture and flavor.Currently, I'm at the latest RAW (c1671) and I can say that there are no boring story arcs. There's the occasional ho-hum chapter, but then every web novel has that. :P Daoist Gu has this way of reinventing itself every now and then, keeping things relatively fresh.
    I take it that you read the raws?

I think that the MC is very, very evil... He seems to enjoy people dying so he can collect their souls and grow stronger in Book 3.
    Also, he is very selfish and doesn't care about human life, not even his own as long as he can get what he wants. While he is incredibly focused in his ultimate goal, I think that he is definitely ruthless.

This point of mine seems to differ with a lot of reviews :p 
    古月方源 - “当困境来临时,要把心交给希望。”
  • Wow, this is a classic example of not judging a book by its cover. I assumed this will be another philosophy heavy story since the cover portrayed MC in white robes, calmly blowing a flute. And you know, the title.

This one sounds closer to MGA.

Actually, I think this is mead.
  • Wow, this is a classic example of not judging a book by its cover. I assumed this will be another philosophy heavy story since the cover portrayed MC in white robes, calmly blowing a flute. And you know, the title.

This one sounds closer to MGA.

I have not read MGA, so I can't really give you a comparison (its nothing like the ones I read either - TDG or the BTTH manga) but I'm told the MC is similar to Warlock of Magus World.

And yes, the cover and book title do not tell you anything about the cruelty and darkness of this story... In fact definitely don't judge this book by its appearance.
    古月方源 - “当困境来临时,要把心交给希望。”
  • edited April 2017
    Akashura said:
    A review from NU:

I think that the MC is very, very evil... He seems to enjoy people dying so he can collect their souls and grow stronger in Book 3.
    Also, he is very selfish and doesn't care about human life, not even his own as long as he can get what he wants. While he is incredibly focused in his ultimate goal, I think that he is definitely ruthless.

This point of mine seems to differ with a lot of reviews  :p I have only read this upto c25 using MTL and so far I like the MC's personality a lot. And judging from the above reviews, this seems to be quite an interesting story. Although its not everyone's cup of tea.

I wish a better TL team picks it up and does justice to it.
  • Akashura said:
    Akashura said:
    A review from NU:

This point of mine seems to differ with a lot of reviews  :p
    I have only read this upto c25 using MTL and so far I like the MC's personality a lot. And judging from the above reviews, this seems to be quite an interesting story. Although its not everyone's cup of tea.

I wish a better TL team picks it up and does justice to it. ... Well it is being translated atm, just picked up again after Ruyi's 6 chapters.
    古月方源 - “当困境来临时,要把心交给希望。”
  • edited May 2017
    More info regarding Daoist Gu:
    http://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/is-the-daoist-gu-mc-the-leylin-of-xianxia-world.36147/

A comment from the above thread:

I've read over 600 chapters of Daoist Gu and it is very well written, much much better than WMW in terms of plot, characterization, setting, thoughtfulness. Everything.

The level of characterization in Daoist Gu is insane. There are all sorts of characters ranging from the evil MC to the characters in the righteous faction (who are actually upright characters), to the MC's little brother who is like a typical xianxia protagonist who stands for justice and fairness, wants to protect his clan, repays any debts etc. Characters in the "evil" faction are actually evil, everything they do is from their own selfish standpoint, every moment they're plotting behind your back. The humanitarian character is actually a humanitarian, like it's even explained why she always falls for the same tricks (because "what if he's not lying to me? then people really need the money").

The MC is the most evil MC I have ever read in any webnovel ever. He kidnapped and burned a pair of innocent twins (they were just children) to death in a forge in order to create a cultivation tool for himself, fed an innocent girl to a bear (literally kidnapped the girl, strapped her to a chair, then led a bear into the cave and then stood by and watched as she got eaten alive, even forcing the bear to eat the girl's intestines at the end since the bear didn't want to eat those) so he then can turn said bear into a cultivation pill for himself, slaughtered his entire clan just to raise his cultivation potential, all sorts of the most evil shit you can imagine. And his motivation is literally just to obtain eternal life so he can travel the world and go sightseeing. That's his entire motivation. To the guy who says he's not "cold and ruthless" - you just haven't read far enough into the novel to know what he's really like.

He is much worse than Leylin. Leylin had the concept of "friendship". He helped whatever-the-girl's-name because she had sex with him. The MC in Daoist Gu would have killed the girl in order to prevent her from leaking any information about him. As he did (he was very careful to not honor her dying request too, since that's just the cautious kind of person he was. Turns out it was her attempt to get revenge on him that failed). 

He's not really an eye for an eye type. That's more his brother and people in the "righteous" faction. People in the "evil" faction are selfish opportunists who will do whatever benefits them the most at the moment, they don't have any concept of vengeance unless they're about to die and they can either die alone or take someone down with them - in that case they'll choose to drag other people down with them.

• Akashura said:
    http://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/is-the-daoist-gu-mc-the-leylin-of-xianxia-world.36147/

I've read over 600 chapters of Daoist Gu and it is very well written, much much better than WMW in terms of plot, characterization, setting, thoughtfulness. Everything.

The level of characterization in Daoist Gu is insane. There are all sorts of characters ranging from the evil MC to the characters in the righteous faction (who are actually upright characters), to the MC's little brother who is like a typical xianxia protagonist who stands for justice and fairness, wants to protect his clan, repays any debts etc. Characters in the "evil" faction are actually evil, everything they do is from their own selfish standpoint, every moment they're plotting behind your back. The humanitarian character is actually a humanitarian, like it's even explained why she always falls for the same tricks (because "what if he's not lying to me? then people really need the money").

The MC is the most evil MC I have ever read in any webnovel ever. He kidnapped and burned a pair of innocent twins (they were just children) to death in a forge in order to create a cultivation tool for himself, fed an innocent girl to a bear (literally kidnapped the girl, strapped her to a chair, then led a bear into the cave and then stood by and watched as she got eaten alive, even forcing the bear to eat the girl's intestines at the end since the bear didn't want to eat those) so he then can turn said bear into a cultivation pill for himself, slaughtered his entire clan just to raise his cultivation potential, all sorts of the most evil shit you can imagine. And his motivation is literally just to obtain eternal life so he can travel the world and go sightseeing. That's his entire motivation. To the guy who says he's not "cold and ruthless" - you just haven't read far enough into the novel to know what he's really like.

He is much worse than Leylin. Leylin had the concept of "friendship". He helped whatever-the-girl's-name because she had sex with him. The MC in Daoist Gu would have killed the girl in order to prevent her from leaking any information about him. As he did (he was very careful to not honor her dying request too, since that's just the cautious kind of person he was. Turns out it was her attempt to get revenge on him that failed). 

He's not really an eye for an eye type. That's more his brother and people in the "righteous" faction. People in the "evil" faction are selfish opportunists who will do whatever benefits them the most at the moment, they don't have any concept of vengeance unless they're about to die and they can either die alone or take someone down with them - in that case they'll choose to drag other people down with them.

Huh, I need a second to process all this.

Wow, I see this story regularly on the rankings. The name... The cover... Sorry, I'm getting flashbacks to a couple terrible, terrible stories where I was tricked into reading and investing, then getting punched in the stomach by the author with all of his might upon chapter 100.
  • edited May 2017
    Akashura said:

Wow, I see this story regularly on the rankings. The name... The cover... Sorry, I'm getting flashbacks to a couple terrible, terrible stories where I was tricked into reading and investing, then getting punched in the stomach by the author with all of his might upon chapter 100.
    Well if you've actually read this and didn't like it then its just not your cup of tea. After all, not many readers would be able to stomach such an MC.
  • Akashura said:
    Akashura said:

Well if you've actually read this and didn't like it then its just not your cup of tea. After all, not many readers would be able to stomach such an MC.
    Yeah, I've always thought I can handle a real villainous MC, but apparently not. Seems it's just anti-hero/dark protagonist for me, through and through.

• I've finally gotten to the last 150 chapters, I thought I would never see the day.
    Been a really wild ride, as the story goes on it seems more suffocating in the sense that the MC never really catches a break, if he does then it's a rare occasion usually. Things keep escalating @[email protected]

I'm really curious how this will end, and how long will it take to end.
    Seems like it could go on for another 5 years, I wouldn't mind.
    古月方源 - “当困境来临时,要把心交给希望。”
  • Akashura said:

What rankings?

Well the MC is pretty evil and is a true villain (you know those typical shounen manga where your MC the hero, fights the evil bad guy? Same thing, but you see the story from the bad guy's eyes. And he has plot armor, and he triumphs over the good guys.)
    ...Well technically villains do win in your average stories but you just don't feel it much.

So if you read up to about chapter 50~ and you feel its a no go, then maybe you won't like this MC in the long run. He does some pretty cruel things every now and then not because he likes it, but he gains benefit from it. He has no morals or regard for human life, has no friends and lover. He is focused on his goal through and through.
    古月方源 - “当困境来临时,要把心交给希望。”
  • Akashura said:

What rankings?

Well the MC is pretty evil and is a true villain (you know those typical shounen manga where your MC the hero, fights the evil bad guy? Same thing, but you see the story from the bad guy's eyes. And he has plot armor, and he triumphs over the good guys.)
    ...Well technically villains do win in your average stories but you just don't feel it much.

So if you read up to about chapter 50~ and you feel its a no go, then maybe you won't like this MC in the long run. He does some pretty cruel things every now and then not because he likes it, but he gains benefit from it. He has no morals or regard for human life, has no friends and lover. He is focused on his goal through and through.
    古月方源 - “当困境来临时,要把心交给希望。”
  • I have a question and was wondering whether someone would be able to at least give me an idea, i know that asking about specific chapter numbers is sort of an annoying thing to do, hence i will only ask whether it happens in book 1, 2 or 3.
    so in one of the reviews above one stated that, the mc would refine a girl that antagonised him because he needed to step in to lvl.3, does it happen in book 1,2 or 3 because the reviewer, read into hundreds of book 3 hence i am unsure about it, and just cant wait to read that part so my curiosity is killing me and i dont want to read mtl, so please satiate my curiosity on this aspect. Thanks.
  • I just came here to thank the Author of this post to help me find this beautiful novel.!
  • What rankings?

I remember seeing it on a couple sites like piaotian or 69shu, but the most recent one is yousuu.

• I have a question and was wondering whether someone would be able to at least give me an idea, i know that asking about specific chapter numbers is sort of an annoying thing to do, hence i will only ask whether it happens in book 1, 2 or 3.
    so in one of the reviews above one stated that, the mc would refine a girl that antagonised him because he needed to step in to lvl.3, does it happen in book 1,2 or 3 because the reviewer, read into hundreds of book 3 hence i am unsure about it, and just cant wait to read that part so my curiosity is killing me and i dont want to read mtl, so please satiate my curiosity on this aspect. Thanks.
    It happens in Book 1, Chapter 151
    I know because I was searching for it just yesterday lol.
    古月方源 - “当困境来临时,要把心交给希望。”
  • gogo318 said:
    I just came here to thank the Author of this post to help me find this beautiful novel.!
    You're welcome :)

What rankings?

I remember seeing it on a couple sites like piaotian or 69shu, but the most recent one is yousuu.

Thank you!
    古月方源 - “当困境来临时,要把心交给希望。”
    Thank you so much for this answer!! Now i just can't wait until that point it's going to be hype!
    Thank you so much for this answer!! Now i just can't wait until that point it's going to be hype!
    :P It's a pretty... interesting chapter
    古月方源 - “当困境来临时,要把心交给希望。”
  • edited June 2017
    Yay, Daoist Gu/ Reverend Insanity is up on LNMTL! https://lnmtl.com/novel/daoist-gu

Those who bravely walk on the path of MTL, kindly use the 'Add Glossary Term' button to pave a path for your successors!
  • I might try this out on LNMTL. A lot of newer novels getting on my nerves. Basically if you start out crippled now your novel is crippled in my eyes that I won't bother reading it now. 
  • With the addition of this novel to lnmtl I might read it sometime in the future, but for now I will stick with HTL. But out of curiosity I have some questions and was wondering whether some fellow reader that has read ahead would be able to help me out.

1. How does he deal with his uncle and aunt?
    2. Does it happen in book 1? No need for specif chapter.
    3. It was said that before reincarnation he created a demonic sect, will he also build it again in the future?
    4. Also could someone tell me the next 2 Gu that he gets?

thanks to those that would be able to help.
  • edited June 2017
    With the addition of this novel to lnmtl I might read it sometime in the future, but for now I will stick with HTL. But out of curiosity I have some questions and was wondering whether some fellow reader that has read ahead would be able to help me out.

3. It was said that before reincarnation he created a demonic sect, will he also build it again in the future?

1. He will send a request to get his parents fortune back when he reaches rank 2. However, because his uncle has a friend who works at the admistrassion Fang Yuan will have to complete a mission (its required) that would be diffucult for him to do without a defense gu( they did not know that he had one). Later on when he had succeded getting all the fortune he sells it back to them. After that he gets out of their leauge and they can't do much alone.
    EDIT: He will also kil them.
    2. Yes
    3. Haven't got that far but he probably won't.
    4. A gu that enhances his moonlight gu and a defense gu.
  • Romance?
  • With the addition of this novel to lnmtl I might read it sometime in the future, but for now I will stick with HTL. But out of curiosity I have some questions and was wondering whether some fellow reader that has read ahead would be able to help me out.

1. He will send a request to get his parents fortune back when he reaches rank 2. However, because his uncle has a friend who works at the admistrassion Fang Yuan will have to complete a mission (its required) that would be diffucult for him to do without a defense gu( they did not know that he had one). Later on when he had succeded getting all the fortune he sells it back to them. After that he gets out of their leauge and they can't do much alone.
    2. Yes
    3. Haven't got that far but he probably won't.
    4. A gu that enhances his moonlight gu and a defense gu.
    Thanks for the info.
  • Rewrite said:
    Romance?
    Not much but there was someone in his past life.
  • Rewrite said:
    Romance?
    what romance. I can't even imagine him loving anyone ever.