Gluttony returned to Shi Xiaobai

In the recent chapters Shi Xiaobai has been eating almost anything, yet could not be satisfied. To me this indicates that Gluttony "returned" to Shi Xiaobai, confirming that Shi Xiaobai is the Original Sin of Calamity. I'm wondering if this has been confirmed in the raws?

Comments

• NyxNyx
    edited May 2017
    editing bugged out apparently, made some phantom posts.  can't delete them.
  • NyxNyx
    edited May 2017
    ^
  • NyxNyx
    edited April 2017
    It's pretty much confirmed from the translated chapters, this isn't really up for debate as its not like this was subtle.  The dark doorway when he was unlocking his superpower, his dream about everyone being replaced by monsters is just an illusion created when his calamity powers are unlocked and the 7 "normal" people remaining are just the 7 sins, and then the inheritance of Gluttony's powers just outright confirmed it.  Shi Xiaobai is definitely the Original Sin of Calamity.
  • edited May 2017
    Nyx said:
    It's pretty much confirmed from the translated chapters, this isn't really up for debate as its not like this was subtle.  The dark doorway when he was unlocking his superpower, his dream about everyone being replaced by monsters is just an illusion created when his calamity powers are unlocked and the 7 "normal" people remaining are just the 7 sins, and then the inheritance of Gluttony's powers just outright confirmed it.  Shi Xiaobai is definitely the Original Sin of Calamity.
    Usually, that would be the case. But we know the author is not one for proper foreshadowing, and is willing to pull the craziest shit out of his ass... Remember how SXB's Pig Slaughtering Knife was introduced? Yeah... stuff like that. No foreshadowing and blatant red herrings shouldn't be surprising at this point.

Some have speculated that it's not Gluttony, but his reward from pushing down Kali, since that reward hasn't been revealed yet.
    And god knows that if it actually comes to that, he's gonna make an A/N about being non-cookie cutter... 

P.S.
    Speaking of the dark doorway, didn't One-Pun know about the existence of the dark door?
    Riko told him specifically to open the white door. So the black door may not be exclusive to SXB; or One-Pun knows that he's OSOC. Possible red herring here...
  • frenzy85 said:
    Nyx said:
    Usually, that would be the case. But we know the author is not one for proper foreshadowing, and is willing to pull the craziest shit out of his ass... Remember how SXB's Pig Slaughtering Knife was introduced? Yeah... stuff like that. No foreshadowing and blatant red herrings shouldn't be surprising at this point.

Some have speculated that it's not Gluttony, but his reward from pushing down Kali, since that reward hasn't been revealed yet.
    And god knows that if it actually comes to that, he's gonna make an A/N about being non-cookie cutter... 

P.S.
    Speaking of the dark doorway, didn't One-Pun know about the existence of the dark door?
    Riko told him specifically to open the white door. So the black door may not be exclusive to SXB; or One-Pun knows that he's OSOC. Possible red herring here...
    or maybe everyone has a white door but no black door. The white door being their super power.
  • gluttony's been chasing him since it got released in the underworld. so it's definitely not the reward from pushing down kali
  • frenzy85 said:
    Nyx said:

P.S.
    No, if there is a re-awakening dream, it's standard to have a white door. SXB did not mention the black door. 

Read the conversation carefully.
    http://www.wuxiaworld.com/absolute-choice-index/ac-chapter-109/
    Riko took a deep breath and said, “Now, look around you. Do you see a pure white door? That is the Door of Superpower. Walk in there, and it will bring you to the world of the awakening dream.”
    “Enter the white door?” Shi Xiaobai could not help but ask.
    “Yes, enter the white door!” Riko answered.

Whether it's because of Gluttony or the A-level reward, it is obviously to keep you in suspense. From the discussions people are having, no one can be certain which is it, and that's the intended goal.

• NyxNyx
    edited May 2017
    frenzy85 said:
    I see your point, the convenient timing does fit the author's style but that doesn't explain why he would have the dream.  You can explain away the black door if we assume that it would have something to do with the Absolute Choice instead of the Original Sin of Calamity.  So if we consider other possibilities then I can only think of two.

• The dream is the result of another divine power beginning to awaken aside from his eyes and intuition.
    • He is the reincarnated Hero King who became the Original Sin of Calamity but he is not the Original Sin of Calamity in this life and the Kali reward was a Gluttony-like power and a coincidence of timing.

Of those I think that the 2nd would be the most interesting, especially if Kali could discover this somehow.  Like much further in the story Shi Xiaobai could be at an award ceremony/banquet/whatever being held at the Hero King's ancient castle and some mechanism which would only respond to his soul activates allowing Kali to realize he is a reincarnation.  This would be especially effective if she saw his Gluttony-like powers at the same time, since he can't tell her about the Absolute Choice so he has no real way to explain it to her and the convenient timing would make the implications even worse.  She would assume he is the Original Sin of Calamity due to his previous life seemingly validating her currently suspicions and resulting in her heart breaking and trying to kill Shi Xiaobai.  Kali's actions could possibly result in the awakening of the real Original Sin of Calamity, causing Kali to realize her mistake and feel useless/broken/etc because she turned on her lover and caused the awakening herself, and but then Shi Xiaobai forgives her and saves the day and whatnot.  Kali's doubts are gone and falls completely inlove with Shi Xiaobai while also allowing her to properly fight the Original Sin of Calamity, effectively completing Kali's character arc and making Shi Xiaobai look badass at the same time as the story moves full swing into the calamity arc.

That all sounds great but it is 99% speculation only based on the issue that we don't know what he received as his reward for pushing Kali down.  The known facts from the story thus far still all point to the idea that Shi Xiaobai is the Original Sin of Calamity.

[Edit] By character arc, I mean that Kali's lie that she believes is that she can't find love due to the events of her past and the burden of her future.  Shi Xiaobai can reveal both sides of this lie as false in this scenario so Kali would grow as a character and complete her personal arc while still being included in the rest of the story.
  • It's clear the author has absolutely no idea where he is going which is why he is stretching the tower arc to the extreme. If he knew, the story would be progressing as steadily as it did at the beginning.
  • Evaansan said:
    It's clear the author has absolutely no idea where he is going which is why he is stretching the tower arc to the extreme. If he knew, the story would be progressing as steadily as it did at the beginning.
    He doesn't want to end the tower arc haphazardly. He agrees that it has been going on for too long and wished he had written a 5 level tower, but he has to end it nicely and not rush it. Besides, the tower's sequence of events can have future foreshadowing on much deeper plots. He is actually having troubles writing the tower arc because of the restrictions it has. The whole universe of each level has to be written (not apparent, but the 7th is the hardest, since it is literally a new world). 

He would be a lot happier once he finishes the tower too, but he can't rush it after laying so much foundation and foreshadowing.

I already know of what will happen after the tower as I discuss the story with the author.
  • I find it funny so many people complain about the progress of the story because they're still stuck in the tower, yet completely ignore all the character development and revelations we have received while in the tower. It's as if people have confused the setting moving forward (location) with the overall plot (read plot/direction ) of the LN....
  • I find it funny so many people complain about the progress of the story because they're still stuck in the tower, yet completely ignore all the character development and revelations we have received while in the tower. It's as if people have confused the setting moving forward (location) with the overall plot (read plot/direction ) of the LN....
    This is not the problem is the author that trapped himself, look right now MC is too powerful that even the supposed number one possible is his only match after he get angry then? he probably die in one hit like all lords in the tower and there is more 100 chapters where the MC keep getting stronger and stronger and the reward for clearing it is another power up because of it he will be the stronger than anyone in the same realm you even begin to question himself if he can overpower people another realm and levels ahead of him, if he cant this will be strange, and if he can will be strange too, i believe the restrition he made in blocking him because he will need strong enemies too early even with plot progression they're still in the tower compared with all the others arc we're 1/3 of the novel in one arc this change is too soon even more after knowing he is powerful etc, the plot is moving but is at snail pace making the MC even stronger without upgrading him.....his crab step is probably rank B already.
    This is not the problem is the author that trapped himself, look right now MC is too powerful that even the supposed number one possible is his only match after he get angry then? he probably die in one hit like all lords in the tower and there is more 100 chapters where the MC keep getting stronger and stronger and the reward for clearing it is another power up because of it he will be the stronger than anyone in the same realm you even begin to question himself if he can overpower people another realm and levels ahead of him, if he cant this will be strange, and if he can will be strange too, i believe the restrition he made in blocking him because he will need strong enemies too early even with plot progression they're still in the tower compared with all the others arc we're 1/3 of the novel in one arc this change is too soon even more after knowing he is powerful etc, the plot is moving but is at snail pace making the MC even stronger without upgrading him.....his crab step is probably rank B already.
    I think you're forgetting the fact of what the tower is and who its for though. They're still in the psionic mortal realm in a tower meant for rookies. The power he has seems so ridiculously OP right now because the difficulty of most of who he fights has a cap on it from being a rookie only training program. Plus Speechless is almost if not as strong as our MC and he is similarly having an easy time in the tower. After they leave the tower the author can further expand the world with the fiends/aliens and push cultivation forward again. 
  • to be perfectly honest his power level is pretty much the same as most cheat MCs up to translation. that said his growth however makes them look like they are moving at the speed of  rock 
    I think you're forgetting the fact of what the tower is and who its for though. They're still in the psionic mortal realm in a tower meant for rookies. The power he has seems so ridiculously OP right now because the difficulty of most of who he fights has a cap on it from being a rookie only training program. Plus Speechless is almost if not as strong as our MC and he is similarly having an easy time in the tower. After they leave the tower the author can further expand the world with the fiends/aliens and push cultivation forward again. 
    Expand to where? before the tower speechless was already ranked number one in the world rookie, unless author make some aliens there is no room to expand, i know about the psionic realm and this is the limiting thing, supposed B rank skills only those two realms ahead can have then the normal for then is having D rank being good C rank? they're genius, now he have a B rank skill with a strong body, strong eye hearing etc he is strongest already is he lose control and his hair turn white then? nothing can stop him in the tower, this is the problem the only way to fix it is by some time skip after the tower where the mc "grow' in power.

Injamanbivu i agree with you he even seens 'weak' since his strongest attack is like King leonidas... but he is getting to strong without upgrading, its like filling a cup of water with double capacity and the cup still holding that water(instead of changing to a larger cup) this is the feeling i get and if the author want to keep this tread of power the only way if to introduce stronger people since his generation he passed everyone already or nerf him these choices bot seens bad, this is why we want the plot to move, ATG suffer this problem but the author just dont give a fuck about it and keep going making the MC stronger and stronger but was this way since the beginning so we dont care, but here i feel reading that the MC have some shackles holding him in realms he need the soul realm thing to use power etc... this is why i dont like the way it is going because the upgrading is taking too long, unless right after he 'clear' the tower he is in the next realm already this would fix some things but would still be strange.
  • to be perfectly honest his power level is pretty much the same as most cheat MCs up to translation. that said his growth however makes them look like they are moving at the speed of  rock 
    its more like SXB is moving at the spped of a rock. Its almost 300 chapters in, and he's still in the first realm.
  • i'm speaking of the novel's in universe timeline not novel chapters
    Expand to where? before the tower speechless was already ranked number one in the world rookie, unless author make some aliens there is no room to expand, i know about the psionic realm and this is the limiting thing, supposed B rank skills only those two realms ahead can have then the normal for then is having D rank being good C rank? they're genius, now he have a B rank skill with a strong body, strong eye hearing etc he is strongest already is he lose control and his hair turn white then? nothing can stop him in the tower, this is the problem the only way to fix it is by some time skip after the tower where the mc "grow' in power.

Injamanbivu i agree with you he even seens 'weak' since his strongest attack is like King leonidas... but he is getting to strong without upgrading, its like filling a cup of water with double capacity and the cup still holding that water(instead of changing to a larger cup) this is the feeling i get and if the author want to keep this tread of power the only way if to introduce stronger people since his generation he passed everyone already or nerf him these choices bot seens bad, this is why we want the plot to move, ATG suffer this problem but the author just dont give a fuck about it and keep going making the MC stronger and stronger but was this way since the beginning so we dont care, but here i feel reading that the MC have some shackles holding him in realms he need the soul realm thing to use power etc... this is why i dont like the way it is going because the upgrading is taking too long, unless right after he 'clear' the tower he is in the next realm already this would fix some things but would still be strange.
    I think you're confusing plot and realms of cultivation. The plot (for the most part) has been moving fairly steadily throughout the novel. His cultivation realm is what's lagging behind. After leaving the tower remember that although they are very strong amongst their peers they are only at the top of rookies. I'm this Nov there have been tons of characters introduced being much stronger than the MC. Some of these include: the little girl who grants power to her followers randomly who Kali tracked down. (I'm bad with names stop yelling at me), the aliens, the guy who ripped off others heads to use his superpower, Hisoka and his minion, one pun, white dragon, the one who pretended to be stupid as a rookie (maybe), the guy with the guns in the virtual reality world who might be related to the guy with the guns from the tower, etc. See I think we're forgetting that all of the amazing things our MC has done is against either other rookies, or beaten people stronger than him in wagers or games. He's so far still fairly weak in the glimpse of the world we've seen. That's why I'm not freaking out about his feats, because they keep giving perspective on the fact he's against rookies. Anyway patiently waiting for the world outside the tower and the development of characters left open to question. 
  • Expand to where? before the tower speechless was already ranked number one in the world rookie, unless author make some aliens there is no room to expand, i know about the psionic realm and this is the limiting thing, supposed B rank skills only those two realms ahead can have then the normal for then is having D rank being good C rank? they're genius, now he have a B rank skill with a strong body, strong eye hearing etc he is strongest already is he lose control and his hair turn white then? nothing can stop him in the tower, this is the problem the only way to fix it is by some time skip after the tower where the mc "grow' in power.

I think you're confusing plot and realms of cultivation. The plot (for the most part) has been moving fairly steadily throughout the novel. His cultivation realm is what's lagging behind. After leaving the tower remember that although they are very strong amongst their peers they are only at the top of rookies. I'm this Nov there have been tons of characters introduced being much stronger than the MC. Some of these include: the little girl who grants power to her followers randomly who Kali tracked down. (I'm bad with names stop yelling at me), the aliens, the guy who ripped off others heads to use his superpower, Hisoka and his minion, one pun, white dragon, the one who pretended to be stupid as a rookie (maybe), the guy with the guns in the virtual reality world who might be related to the guy with the guns from the tower, etc. See I think we're forgetting that all of the amazing things our MC has done is against either other rookies, or beaten people stronger than him in wagers or games. He's so far still fairly weak in the glimpse of the world we've seen. That's why I'm not freaking out about his feats, because they keep giving perspective on the fact he's against rookies. Anyway patiently waiting for the world outside the tower and the development of characters left open to question. 
    EEeeeeeee... i dont know what to say...

the plot is not moving seens like it is but it is not, the time he stayed inside the tower is the almost the same as the time he stayed outside of it when he come to this world, if i'm not mistaken not even 3 months passed from the time he come to this world to the time he enter the tower, now we have the tower that was supposed to not be a 'plot'if the author say something like this was something related to the plot i would call BS because the plot is older than the tower and if you remember kali words she said earth almost got done so yeah the tower was build later so this is some power up not plot...

now about the top of rookies there is noone who can fight MC same realm dont delude yourself.

there has bens tons of characters but they're just it introduced all shallow what we know about for example the Mu girl? we know now that she is from the same family as specheless li and was an outcast and was 'saved' by him, just it, we know nothing about then they're just introduced talked to the MC and thats it hell we dont even know about the girl who saved him and she was supposed to be a character who would go with him a good while...

and about stronger they're all realms above MC if he is the same realm he would be stronger my point is not it let me try to make an analogy so you could understand my point of view is basic and can be seens as wrong but this is the closer i can get to explain is more like a feeling of something wrong not like ATG because there the MC jump realms but noone of his peers is his match because he is supposed to be op.

ok, supposed MC is a cup that can hold 200ml of water MC right now have 300ml of water with a cup of 200ml other people have cups of 1000ml and 1000ml of water ok i get it this is how he is supposed to cross realms all MC do it and this is what make then 'special' but right now what we're seeing it not it the feeling i have is that mc is holding twice or at least thrice as much water as the cup can hold without leveling and this just seens wrong since there is clearly things that hold then back in realms and things that can just be done realms above the soul thing magic etc...

now Hisoka is realms above him at least 3 realms how can you compare him with a rookie that was my explanation? like i said there is no room to expand unless he begin fighting people older but he is already too young so he is already fighting people older, so what we're going to have a MC fight people 3 realms above at the end of the tower arc? 

please understand i'm not saying this is bad is just that this is not the vibe i was getting reading it, the same thing happened in one of IET works he made the MC so 'powerfull' that 3 realms before the 'last' level MC could already fight the strongest person, and this is the same feeling i'm getting and this is do not like i prefer something like linley while powerful is just against his peers(not age people of same realm) so in the end he needed some buff to win against main villain, the difference between the two novels is that at the end of the first we keep feeling he is too powerful IET finished early because he made the MC too powerful could be more etc, while in the second we feel that everything fix right... like i said this is more likely my feeling reading it is hard to explain.

and about the gun guy the guy is realms above MC this is the problem i have, and it was said already the guy have some problems this is why he go to VR world to fight because he cant do it anymore and he is old already you should re'read it i think is before the girl in bed that kali met, and the girl too is realms above you cant just say she is a rookie.

rookie is people of his age and the strongest was said in the novel so you can't just add another there was speechless li so there is noone stronger than him, unless there is alien people this is the only way author can run but if he add it he would probably BS some power up to his friends with would not be good or made then some side character who arent powerful but it there sometime that would made all the chapters they get stupid for us readers since he would outran then fast....

anyway i like the novel this is why i rage about it i want it to be good.
  • Speechless is only the strongest in China, not the world. Furthermore, SXB is strong, but he is not necessarily the strongest. He beat Heartless with an all-in attack which left him exhausted. And if he doesn't defeat his enemy, he loses. He is definitely around Speechless' strength.
  • besides its already been confirmed long ago that the young generation in china currently are far weaker than the rest of the world on average
  • I really enjoy this novel so I don't want to make any of the threads rage threads, I just want people to understand the difference between plot and setting, but people don't seem to get the difference. Anyway CK thank you so much for translating this work so consistently. It's much more appreciated than the forums show I'm sure. 
  • Back to main topic if you have been continuing to read the series after wuxiaworld had to stop releasing chapters you may have notice that sxb is not the only character to gain the gluttony powers after Kali killed it. We learn later that bunny cao also became inflicted with insatiable hunger around the same time gluttony was killed. Is this maybe a hint that sxb is not the osc and that his hunger instead came from the A-rank reward for push the raging Kali down?
  • it' possible his unknown power somehow copied the power of gluttony which could mean he might copy the other sins as well in the future
  • edited August 2017
    frenzy85 said:
    Nyx said:

P.S.
    I personally think the dream SXB had at this time just serves as a memory of the second time the Original Sin of Calamity destroyed the world. He already had the dream of the blind old man. So I don't think he has really gained the powers of the Original Sin of Calamity but is intead having dreams of the past memories of the apocalypse. This also explaining the reasons why SXB or rather his past lives would have destroyed the world. 

When he was the King, it was because of a misunderstanding.

When he was a blind old man, it was because of the hatred for the world