[Release] ATG Update Notifier

edited November 2017 in Against the Gods Spoilers
[@mods: Could this thread be made an "announcement"?]
----

What is ATG-Notifier?

ATG-Notifier is a free program which notifies you, the user, whenever Mars has published a new chapter on Zongheng (the publishing website of ATG). This way, you don't have to manually check the RAW site for updates every x-minutes and get a heart attack (like me) when you see that there is no new update yet. The notification options include both a Desktop-Popup notification and a notification sent as an e-mail. It also saves all incoming notifications for the user to check later.

Requirements

Currently, ATG-Notifier is only provided for Windows Desktop and cannot be used as a mobile app. A user can use the "e-mail notification" option to be notified wherever he is (internet access required) however it requires the user to have this program running on a Windows Desktop device. You will also need .NET Framework 4.5 (or higher) installed to use it. Follow this link if you need to install it. Need to find out which .NET framework version you have installed? Check out this link.

Get the program

Check out the attached file "ATG-Notifier.zip". Simply extract it anywhere you want and then start ATG-Notifier.exe. Depending on your Windows System, either use the .exe in the "x86" folder (for Windows 32-Bit systems) or in the "x64" folder (for 64-Bit Windows).

Feedback

Please mention crashes/bugs in this thread. Feel free to mention any suggestions you have.

How does it work?

A desktop notification shows up on the top-right corner of your screen and looks like this:

The behavior of a desktop notification is similar to Toast notifications or Microsoft Office Outlook notifications: It will fade away after a couple of seconds but you can bring it back by moving the mouse over it. Clicking on a notification will open the corresponding chapter page on Zongheng. Currently, up to three notifications will be displayed under each other. Any new incoming notification will wait until at least one of the currently displayed notifications is closed (by fading away/pressing the "x" button or by clicking on it).

The e-mail notification option will send an e-mail to an e-mail adress you have specified. The e-mail will have the title "ATG Chapter Update!" and the body: "Chapter <chapter number>: <chapter URL >". In order to use the e-mail option you will also have to specify an e-mail adress and the corresponding login-information acting as the sender of the e-mail. The e-mail settings window looks like this:

To protect your e-mail login information the app uses two security features.
  1. The specified password will be saved only in an encrypted form on your device.
  2. When you open the "Configure e-mail settings" window, the app will show an incorrect password (see the three black dots in the "Password" box in the image above). This will hide your password and prevent its length to be discovered by a different user who opens the "EmailSettings" window on your device. Please note that whenever you want to enter a new password you will have to first delete the three characters in the "Password" box. Once deleted, the "Show Password" option will become available.
You can always edit your e-mail settings later and only one e-mail setting is saved at any given time. All provided data will only be used locally to connect with your e-mail provider to send a notification e-mail. None of it will be shared by the app with anyone else.

Both the desktop pop-up- and e-mail notifications can be disabled/enabled at any given time. To disable/enable them, click "Options" -> "Notifications->{Notification}" in the main window or Right-click on the program icon in the notification area. Desktop notifications are enabled on default whereas e-mail notifications are disabled!

See the following image for the icon in the notification area (marked with a red "circle-like thing"):

Update notifications will also be displayed in the main window of the app (regardless of the enabled/disabled notification options). See the image below for what the main window might look like:

(Of course there won't be more than one notification for the same update, so just picture the notifications as Update 818, 817 and 816).

New notifications will always arrive on the top. Clicking on a notification will also open the corresponding chapter page on Zongheng.
You can use the "Date" and "New" buttons to sort the displayed notifications. "Date" will sort them using their arrival time (with the newest one on top) whereas "New" will sort them after their "New!" status ("New!" being displayed on top). A notification is "New!" if the user hasn't moved the mouse over it yet.
Please note that "New!" notifications will be saved when closing the app and re-loaded on next program launch. If you do not want them to be saved, move the mouse over them or close them.

The icon in the notification area will display the number of "New!" notifications (see the red "4" on the icon on the previous image). Thus, with the above main window, we would see a "red 3" in the notification area. This feature will allow you not to miss any updates as you might not be in front of your screen when a desktop notification is shown.

As written above, the "Options" will allow you to enable/disable notification options and edit your current e-mail settings.
The "View" button gives you the option to hide the program in the taskbar when you minimize it. This option is disabled on default.

What's in store for the future?

Nothing to be announced yet.

Comments

• Wow I'm not going to read all of that but I support whatever you're doing :smile: 
    You are either on my side,
    By my side,
    Or in my FUCKING WAY!
          Choose wisely....
  • Do you have it opensource? Maybe we can make it to autoupdate thread here.
  • Things I can't do...
    My name is Bladerash3, nice to meet you. I`M A MALE!
  • Maybe you open a git repository on github or something. I can help contribute, and probably port to other app.
  • @lorwa

Nice to hear! I will probably open a repository on github sometimes next week. For an app like this, porting to the main mobile platforms is definitely a must so it would be cool to see that.

During development I briefly had the idea to make it auto-update the "the latest chapter" discussion but I didn't actually work on that functionaility yet. I think Javascript knowledge would be needed for that and I don't have any of that currently. Perhaps we could write a simple script (without the GUI) which just checks for an update and updates a thread over here. Then, we would have to find a server for that script to constantly run on.
  • Amun said:
    @lorwa

Nice to hear! I will probably open a repository on github sometimes next week. For an app like this, porting to the main mobile platforms is definitely a must so it would be cool to see that.

During development I briefly had the idea to make it auto-update the "the latest chapter" discussion but I didn't actually work on that functionaility yet. I think Javascript knowledge would be needed for that and I don't have any of that currently. Perhaps we could write a simple script (without the GUI) which just checks for an update and updates a thread over here. Then, we would have to find a server for that script to constantly run on.
    We just have to do some ajax request on wuxiaworld forum. However, will need a server running in background.
  • Rejoice (by loki)
    ATG saved life
    you would regret if you never read ATG.... Bitchhhh >:) 
  • It'd have been nice if I had seen this thread before... Thanks anyways, that'll help me a lot, rs
  • virus scans pls
  • edited May 2017
    Rewrite said:
    virus scans pls

Clean.
  • I just Installed it and it Works !!! Yaaaay.

Vinaka Vakalevu Guys
    "The Only Journey Is The One Within"
  • edited June 2017
    I can now present the program logo!

I quite like it.
    ---

I am also working on a complete revamp of the GUI right now but I cannot yet name a release date - or even release window - for the next big update. I will share more info about what to expect in the new update closer to release. Please bear with me and thank you for your support! :)
  • edited November 2017
    Version 1.10 Release

This update includes the following changes:

Bugfixes:
    • Fix crash when accessing a webpage other than the standard Zongheng ATG webpage (i.e. Zongheng error website).
    • You can no longer resize the Email Configuration Window.
    • Resizing the Main Window has been limited.

Added features:
    • Notifications: Chapter title is now displayed next to the chapter number.
    • Interlude chapters (non-standard numbering) should no longer be displayed as "Chapter <Unrecognized Chapter Number>".
    • You can turn now off the notification sound (Go to: View ->Notification->Play Popup Sound). Sound is enabled on default.
    • You can now enable turning on the display if a new notification arrives (only works if the display was turned off by the Operating System -- i.e. due to  energy saving settings). Go to: View->Notification->Turn On Display. This option is disabled on default.

The attached file in the original post has been updated. Copy/paste the entire "ATG-Notifier/{x86 or x64}" folder to a place of your liking. If you have a 32-bit Windows system, copy/paste the "x86"-folder, otherwise use the "x64" folder.
  • Guys, do you have any problems after latest Windows 10 update? I'm not sure if my system screwed something when it was updated or there is indeed problem with a program.
  • edited December 2017
    Hi @Shiro_Shinigami,

could you specify the problems you've got with the app?

A few users complained about crashes when leaving Sleep Mode (on Laptop) or that the program appears to randomly crash without giving any error messages. Are your problems the same or do they differ?

I have also re-uploaded the previous version of the program (see post attachments). Let me know if this version also has the specified problems.

Note: I'm running it on Windows 8.1 without any problems.
  • edited December 2017
    @Amun
    Basically after last Win 10 update SmartScreen is showing up and try to block "unknown app". Previously it had never happened. And after I start app anyway and I have crash telling me about "unsupported exception in the app" (notice it might be translated slightly diffrent, I'm not sure about it). Here's are details about that crash:

SQLite.SQLiteException: ReadOnly
       in SQLite.SQLiteCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
       in SQLite.SQLiteConnection.Execute(String query, Object[] args)
       in SQLite.SQLiteConnection.DeleteAll[T]()
       in ATG_Notifier.MainWindow.MainWindow_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       in System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       in System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
       in System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
       in System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
       in System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
       in System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       in System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
       in System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    ************** Loaded Package **************
    mscorlib
        Version of package: 4.0.0.0
        Version Win32: 4.7.2115.0 built by: NET47REL1LAST
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    ATG-Notifier
        Version of package: 1.1.0.0
        Version Win32: 1.1.0.0
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/../Favorites/Desktop/ATG-Notifier/x64/ATG-Notifier.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
        Version Win32: 4.7.2110.0 built by: NET47REL1LAST
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
        Version Win32: 4.7.2110.0 built by: NET47REL1LAST
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
        Version Win32: 4.7.2046.0 built by: NET47REL1
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Configuration
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    System.Core
        Version Win32: 4.7.2117.0 built by: NET47REL1LAST
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    System.Xml
        Version Win32: 4.7.2102.0 built by: NET47REL1LAST
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    System.Windows.Forms.resources
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_pl_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll
    mscorlib.resources
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/mscorlib.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_pl_b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.resources.dll

I tried redownloading it and reinstalling - it didn't work.
  • @Shiro_Shinigami ;
    Win+R --> %temp% --> delete all the temp files. Run the app as an Administrator. I'm just saying, no idea if it will work or not.