Current translator

How come the current translator slacking so much even with all the patreon contributions going on?? I mean he said 28 chaps/week, it is the end of the week and we are at 12 chaps....

Comments

• edited April 2017
    Duniak said:
    Don't want to comment on that shitstorm, as I'm not a Patron, but... Changing "worry free" goal and hiding pledged is normal, it's to keep new people paying. Cuz, if his goal is low, why would a new person pledge? If he reached his final goal, why pledge? If it doesn't increase number of chapters, why pay him money? Don't be little kids, you talk about responsibilities and how he's entitled, but you refuse to use normal, adult, business logic. Of course he wants more money, what the fuck is your problem with that? You speak of "his job", yet bash him for wanting to make more money?

I DO NOT, however, like how he changed number of chapters and I saw no announcement about it. Last week he did 21 chapters and then just casually started a new week. On March 30th he also deleted the part about being a week behind. I assume it's because he talks only with people that pay him, on Patreon. He has already done "Oh teehee, I updated Patreon but forgot to post chaps on WW" like twice?

To clarify some things. Let’s assume that his income is around 10000$ per month. Now lets visit any professional translating website out there; with this amount of money you can get approximately double the chapters offered by him for each month.

So, to reply to the comment about us “bashing” on him for doing business. He is more than welcome to use any means necessary in order for him to have his business growing healthily; that is seriously not an issue; if anything, I more than applaud him for it. My issue stands with him undermining our intelligence.

Fellow readers and dear patreons; how can you fail to understand that the current translator is simply going forward with a consistent pattern that indicates fewer and fewer chapters translated by him while his income is consistently increasing? Especially when with the already pledged amount if patreons decide so, they can clearly gather this amount and go to ANY PROFESSIONAL translating website around to get MORE chapters for LESS MONEY?

• edited April 2017
    Duniak said:
    Don't want to comment on that shitstorm, as I'm not a Patron, but... Changing "worry free" goal and hiding pledged is normal, it's to keep new people paying. Cuz, if his goal is low, why would a new person pledge? If he reached his final goal, why pledge? If it doesn't increase number of chapters, why pay him money? Don't be little kids, you talk about responsibilities and how he's entitled, but you refuse to use normal, adult, business logic. Of course he wants more money, what the fuck is your problem with that? You speak of "his job", yet bash him for wanting to make more money?

I DO NOT, however, like how he changed number of chapters and I saw no announcement about it. Last week he did 21 chapters and then just casually started a new week. On March 30th he also deleted the part about being a week behind. I assume it's because he talks only with people that pay him, on Patreon. He has already done "Oh teehee, I updated Patreon but forgot to post chaps on WW" like twice?

To clarify some things. Let’s assume that his income is around 10000$ per month. Now lets visit any professional translating website out there; with this amount of money you can get approximately double the chapters offered by him for each month.

So, to reply to the comment about us “bashing” on him for doing business. He is more than welcome to use any means necessary in order for him to have his business growing healthily; that is seriously not an issue; if anything, I more than applaud him for it. My issue stands with him undermining our intelligence.

Fellow readers and dear patreons; how can you fail to understand that the current translator is simply going forward with a consistent pattern that indicates fewer and fewer chapters translated by him while his income is consistently increasing? Especially when with the already pledged amount if patreons decide so, they can clearly gather this amount and go to ANY PROFESSIONAL translating website around to get MORE chapters for LESS MONEY?

• In truth he already release 20 chapters this week.
    But he release only 20 chapters last week, the first 8 of this week he put is the count from last week

• he is still 8 chaps behind.
    compared to flowerbridgetoo he is a massive improvement speed wise though, so i wouldnt complain :)
  • I wouldnt support Yang Wen-li if I were you. http://imgur.com/a/4lQsN

but its up to you what you do with your money.
  • if there's any inconsistencies in releases people will simply remove their pledges, if you promise a certain amount of chapters and don't meet it you will look bad, it can happen on one occasion but u need to explain urself for the ones paying u

• edited February 2017
    As I see it; he did a great job until he reached to the point where as he said "I can now live life without worry!!! YAY!" (that should be arround 5500$/month so far) and then the slack started I can understand that he probably has some IRL stuff going on but still when you get to the point where "you can now live life without worry!!! YAY! " you should not screw up IMHO because if you keep up the good job you can continue living a good life without worry lol.

I am not saying that traslation is an easy job or anything on the contrary; but still man you should keep up your promise in order for people to keep supporting you...

Also in the pictures that GunerX posted I can see some people being completely good willed towards him as well as some people trying to justify that patreons are not his boss etc. People though fail to understand that they actually are supporters and they DO have the right to demand from him keeping his promise or else he is totally unworthy of their support.
  • edited February 2017
    alright, never thought i would actually have to use this account but when people are not able to count properly then i dont know what to do besides pointing out things:

starting january 2nd he said he reached his goal and is going to release 28 chapters a week and lets just ignore the weeks before that because people seem to be upset about january and february

now lets look at every week shall we?

in the first week he released 28 chapters as promised, 4 chapters every day at roughly the same time
    second week he apparently fucked up his sleep and released the chapters way later, but still reached his quota of 28 chapters
    week 3, again 28 chapters, still late most of the time
    week 4 he was late by 12-ish hours and with chinese new year that weekend he missed 3 chapters, not really a big deal
    week 5, with february starting he fucked up his sleep (again?) and missed 4 chapters, which were included into next week
    now for what is going on last week for missing 12 chapters it would be the best to ask him personally and not just scream around mindlessly that he is scamming people and not doing his job and commenting on every patreon post screenshots from his patreon only page

if i miscounted somewhere feel free to correct me
  • edited February 2017
    Nyapo said:
    alright, never thought i would actually have to use this account but when people are not able to count properly then i dont know what to do besides pointing out things:

starting january 2nd he said he reached his goal and is going to release 28 chapters a week and lets just ignore the weeks before that because people seem to be upset about january and february

now lets look at every week shall we?

in the first week he released 28 chapters as promised, 4 chapters every day at roughly the same time
    second week he apparently fucked up his sleep and released the chapters way later, but still reached his quota of 28 chapters
    week 3, again 28 chapters, still late most of the time
    week 4 he was late by 12-ish hours and with chinese new year that weekend he missed 3 chapters, not really a big deal
    week 5, with february starting he fucked up his sleep (again?) and missed 4 chapters, which were included into next week
    now for what is going on last week for missing 12 chapters it would be the best to ask him personally and not just scream around mindlessly that he is scamming people and not doing his job and commenting on every patreon post screenshots from his patreon only page

if i miscounted somewhere feel free to correct me
    you cant count for shit. lol 
    https://www.patreon.com/YangWenLi/community

Billy Bob already did all the maths for people who cant count. I also just went and checked to confirm, Billy Bob's math is correct. 

Feb 6 - Feb 12 = 24 / 28 ch Jan 30 - Feb 5 = 23 / 28 ch Jan 23 - Jan 29 = 24 / 28 ch Jan 16 - Jan 22 = 28 / 28 ch Jan 9 - Jan 15 = 24 / 28 ch Jan 2 - Jan 8 = 23 / 28 ch Dec 26 - Jan 1 = 21 / 28 ch ----------------------------- Total Chapters Promised = 196 Total Chapters Delivered = 167 ----------------------------- Total Missing Chapters = 29 And this is just in the year of 2017 so far (also a few days of december). If you go back further I wonder what you will find? http://imgur.com/a/4lQsN
  • edited February 2017
    excuse me, how are we "screaming around mindlessly"?

My problem is that he isn´t transparent in what he does. Nobody knows why he is releasing late or if he will catch up with the chapters.
    All he says is that he fucked up his sleep schedule. While getting 5000$ for translating 4 chaps a day. 
    What does he even mean with fucked up sleep schedule? He should still be awake the same time he was before, since only his schedule changed? I cant believe he sleeps more than 10 hours a day.

Look I´m not a Patreon, but I seriously thought about getting one. But I want to know exactly what I pay for and what he is doing is extremely unprofessional. I´m also not saying that he must translate more chapters. I dont have the right to do so. But one should only promise what one can keep. And if he simply is not in the condition to release 28 chapters a week he should just say so.

Also I think it´s really shady that he removed the display where we can see how much money he exactly gets per month.

If I were paying him money, I would be enraged lol

and please excuse my poor english, thank you
  • @Nyapo : Please understand mate that we are not here because we do not want him to make money or because we want to judge him; I would be glad if he could make double the money or be a millionare and live the most carefree life available they only thing we are asking is for him to deliver what he promised.
  • edited February 2017
    not specifically saying that to the people here in the thread but at some people on the patreon post, i am sorry if i insulted you or any others here

and yes i have to agree that we have no clue what he was doing last week, but i think people got impatient way to fast for the rather consistent work he did months before
    we should give him the benefit of the doubt and just wait 1-2 weeks before pointing fingers at him and accusing him of certain stuff without knowing about his circumstances

and with the matter of sleep schedule, i am assuming he simply means that his entire "lifestyle" shifted by multiple hours so we are getting chapters later than normaly (from 9 pm to 1-3 am) 

if it turns out he is really just scamming people there are surely more mature ways to solve the situation like reporting it to wuxiaworld or patreon themselves or simply taking the patronship back

again i am sorry if i insulted you

EDIT: apperently most screenshots are from the public community threads in patreon, sorry for confusing those with the patreon only ones 
  • Well, no chapters today, depressing news :(
  • edited February 2017
    we need to give him a chance to explain himself

don't judge too soon

maybe he will release many chapters at once

Edit:
    I told you guys, he release 8 chapters just now
  • edited February 2017
    On this page, you can see proof that he is behind by 8 chapters which he has said that he will cover up( and 8 chapters are not very high compared to release speed of the translator as it will only take about 1-2 days).

Proof and calculation:https://www.patreon.com/YangWenLi/community

So he has stuck to his promises for almost all weeks and has repeatedly told he has not forgotten about missing chapters.  If I was donating, I don't see any reason why I should be worried. If he was behind by some 20-30 chapters, then there may be some doubts about whether he can cover up.. But now I don't really see why people feel he is cheating as he has released like more than 200 chapters ON SCHEDULE and is behind by a meagre 8. It would be a concern if he said that he won't cover the missing ones(which are very small in number and easily doable) or he is way behind the promised quota, but since that is not the case there - I'm quite surprised by the way people are calling the translator a cheat and paetrons fools...
  • yeah, someone try to blame Yang-wen-Li so hard

shame on him

we need to give yang-wen-li some space, so he can keep translating

everyone can remind him about the missing chapters, but please don't push too hard, except he already miss many chapters
  • edited February 2017
    $5500 a month from donations, akin to a 40 hour week breakdown with 4 weeks a month, is equivalent to him getting paid $34.375 / hour (minimum wage average is $7.25/hr, as referenced at https://www.thebalance.com/2017-federal-state-minimum-wage-rates-2061043 ).

Making $66,000/year at his current $5,500/month donation rate, where he sits compared to the job pay rate: The government determined the current "poverty" line is around $11k/year, while Forbes states around $45k/year is the middle of middle class, with $75,000 being more than *90% job payrates in the USA, which he's pretty close to (88% of the way).

He's getting  the same as the starting average salary of a fresh, green no experience Chemical Engineer ($65k / year average start), for translating a novel someone else has written.

Data for above comparison sake (go ahead and reference those numbers via Forbes, wiki, whatever you like).  Also to point out he most likely translates comfortably from home.

Final point of comparison, besides pointing out these are donations, not a contract-binding salary job: salaries for translators for the UN go from $48-$82k/year (source: https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/United-Nations-Translator-Salaries-E21435_D_KO15,25.htm). So hes already making the equivalent of the top 20% of that. From donations. At home. At his own discretion.
  • This required special skill dude

Not everyone can do this, not like a job in factory that can be done by anyone else. 

• edited February 2017

I don't really get why everyone is getting up in arms over this, especially the ones who don't even donate to his Patreon. If you don't donate, why do you have any right to complain? 

As for the post about how much he makes and what % he is in among the working class, using that to criticize him is asanine. So what if he makes a decent amount? That's completely irrelevant to whether or not he puts out the chapters he says he's going to. He decided he makes enough to translate full time, so in that sense, yes, it is relevant. If you donate to him, then yes, you can ask for an explanation if he does not meet the quota he says he will meet on the basis of you paying for a product and that product not being delivered. That being said, even if he were making 10x as much, if he has not changed the quota, then you cannot expect anything more from him.

Trying to compare how much he is making compared to other people, whether or not they are in the same profession, is pointless and completely misses the issue at hand. Besides, even if we played along and pretended it mattered, your logic is flawed on a number of points. First of all, he talked about wanting to earn enough to pay his editors something. Whether or not he is currently doing so, I cannot say, but it is a possibility. Second of all, while his monthly/annual income may be what you stated it to be on the surface, you forget that he would be self-employed, meaning he has a significantly higher tax rate (if he is in the US at least, and likely in other countries as well). Furthermore, since he is self-employed, if he wants any health insurance or other benefits, he has to pay for them out of his own pocket without any company assistance. There is also not a retirement package (401k, etc.) or any other benefits that would be found in some of the jobs you mentioned. These all greatly cut into what he actually makes, making your assessment of his "wealth" inaccurate.

• GunerX said:
    http://imgur.com/a/OB7Nl

^ more deleted posts.
    I dont even know how come yang wenli owe us 47 chapters? When he already show us the math. 

About the donation, you guys think too much. Yang wenli is not the only one who does not show the patron amount, deathblade also do that, and many other follow.  The fact is yang wen li keep release chapters and he try to keep his promise. 
  • Clyne said:
    GunerX said:
    http://imgur.com/a/OB7Nl

^ more deleted posts.
    I dont even know how come yang wenli owe us 47 chapters? When he already show us the math. 

About the donation, you guys think too much. Yang wenli is not the only one who does not show the patron amount, deathblade also do that, and many other follow.  The fact is yang wen li keep release chapters and he try to keep his promise. 
    The big difference is that deathblade isnt behind every week and when he is behind he releases extra chapters in order to keep the rate. yangwenli never does extra chapters and he is always behind, plus nobody asked him to release 28 chaps/week he put the goal himself and he cant keep with it and in every post he says like ooh im so tired, i slept too much, etc etc.
  • He is behind 8 chapters, from a total of 200, isn'n nothing
  • Yangwenli not behind every week dude

see the math again.
  • Even if he was, you said it yourself that no one asked him for 28 a week, but that that was a goal he set for himself. Besides, (feel free to show proof if I am wrong since I may be) I only remember him saying he would "try" to release 28/week. Even on his Patreon that's what it says. If you support him on Patreon, are you not getting access to the additional content you get for supporting him? If so, then why are you complaining?

What really cracks me up is that the people griefing him the most aren't even donors to his Patreon. That's like complaining that you can't buy liquor with your food stamps. You're already benefitting from someone else's hard work, why should you get even more?
  • I don't see why yall complaining so much the translator is pushing out more chapters then the others yes he wasn't able to keep up the pace that was promise from time to time but he human and need a break once in awhile damn it plus 20 chapters in a week is pretty darn good to me
  •  I think everyone here is forgetting the word he himself used... "Promised" .. there's no compromise for promises, as long as you have the balls to promise something, then you better walk the talk. 

我只是来打酱油的

• mistrace said:
     I think everyone here is forgetting the word he himself used... "Promised" .. there's no compromise for promises, as long as you have the balls to promise something, then you better walk the talk. 

very true.
  • geez anytime anything related to money is involved, people always start complaining and bashing others...
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" - Sherlock Holmes
  • aashish said:
    geez anytime anything related to money is involved, people always start complaining and bashing others...
    You dont see issues with deathblade, rwx, etc. The complaints arent because money is involved, its because there are promises unkept and there is no effort in keeping them afterwards like hes 24 chapters behind and couldnt reach the quota this week either? To be fair this week was the birthday of his son so its okay, but still he hasnt done anything in previous weeks either.