Absolute Choice - New Chapter Discussions

Am I the only one getting annoyed from these Author's Notes?  Like the guy continually just complements himself over his own writing.  I like the novel, but these Author's Notes are genuinely ruining it for me lol.

For example,
"Author’s Note: Those who said Shi Xiaobai is an idiot, go face the wall and reflect on yourselves! This King, Shi Xiaobai, might be funny, but he is not stupid! Hmph!"

Like, what?  Shi Xiaobai was an idiot, that's a fact, the author just wrote him to be smart for that one chapter in order to write that note.
Absolute Choice is the first novel that I've read on Wuxiaworld that I genuinely do not like.

Comments

  • ┑( ̄Д  ̄)┍
    I don't like author's notes either.
    It's a bad habit for many rookie writers. Maybe because they're not confident enough:)
    喵喵喵喵喵?
  • Most authors put author's notes, even Er Gen, just that most translators do not translate it. If you don't like it, you can just skip reading them?
  • edited January 2017
    CKtalon said:
    Most authors put author's notes, even Er Gen, just that most translators do not translate it. If you don't like it, you can just skip reading them?
    I'm not annoyed because of the concept of author's notes themselves, they're fine, it's just this author specifically and how he is constantly saying how good his plot is or how clever his writing is, that's all.  
    Absolute Choice is the first novel that I've read on Wuxiaworld that I genuinely do not like.
  • CKtalon said:
    Most authors put author's notes, even Er Gen, just that most translators do not translate it. If you don't like it, you can just skip reading them?
    I'm not annoyed because of the concept of author's notes themselves, they're fine, it's just this author specifically and how he is constantly saying how good his plot is or how clever his writing is, that's all.  
    geez quoting is weird. anyways. Just gonna say I see it as sarcasm. His main character "the king" acts like that and then in the notes he puts it down like the main character said it not himself. as a little funny note.
  • It has more to do with the author having already planned this out prior to things happening, so he's pointing it out to dissenters that say that SXB is dumb. With conversations with him, he has planned quite a far bit out.
  • I also find it disconcerting how the author introduces names, experiences, skills etc. that SXB references in the story, and you think: "Hold on, did this come from his prior life or is he just making it up on the spot"?
  • In the words of Queen (Bohemian Rhapsody): Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
  • I appreciate what you did with the notes, CKtalon.  Thanks.
    Absolute Choice is the first novel that I've read on Wuxiaworld that I genuinely do not like.
  • CKtalon said:
    Most authors put author's notes, even Er Gen, just that most translators do not translate it. If you don't like it, you can just skip reading them?
    I'm not annoyed because of the concept of author's notes themselves, they're fine, it's just this author specifically and how he is constantly saying how good his plot is or how clever his writing is, that's all.  
    要不要这么认真???对于网络小说每天一万字的产量来说,又能写出多高的水平???你们现在阅读的小说其实在我看来是比较........呃,我应该用什么词形容?幼稚,幼稚的小说,我们的俗话说是小白文,White paper-----英文貌似是这个词。当然在中国数以百万计的网络小说中当然有写得好的,这还需要你们慢慢发现啊。至于你提到的问题,你忍耐一下吧!

  • I personally really like the authors notes cause it gives me a little feeling of involvement into the authors mind, plus they're humourous  
  • yjtabc said:
    CKtalon said:
    Most authors put author's notes, even Er Gen, just that most translators do not translate it. If you don't like it, you can just skip reading them?
    I'm not annoyed because of the concept of author's notes themselves, they're fine, it's just this author specifically and how he is constantly saying how good his plot is or how clever his writing is, that's all.  
    要不要这么认真???对于网络小说每天一万字的产量来说,又能写出多高的水平???你们现在阅读的小说其实在我看来是比较........呃,我应该用什么词形容?幼稚,幼稚的小说,我们的俗话说是小白文,White paper-----英文貌似是这个词。当然在中国数以百万计的网络小说中当然有写得好的,这还需要你们慢慢发现啊。至于你提到的问题,你忍耐一下吧!

    Translation: Can you not be so serious? For a web novel that produces about 10,000 characters a day, how high quality can it be??? The novels you are currently reading actually appear to me as...Uh, how should I describe it? Immature, immature novels. We commonly call it xiaobaiwen**, White paper—Apparently that's what is in English. Of course, there are ones that are written well amongst the millions of web novels in China. But it needs time for you to discover them. As for the question you raised, just wait patiently.

    **xiaobaiwen has no direct translation. It refers to simple plots, doesn't have a proper establishment of the plot, filled with words that bloat the plot and with extreme cookie-cutter directions and lack of imagination. Famous authors of xiaobaiwen are TJSS, IET, Tiancan Tudou, Chen Dong, Er Gen, etc
  • Er Gen? I don't know his other works but ISSTH and AWE didn't really seem to fit that description for me so far.
  • Pretty much every reader that enjoys translated novels done by the community enjoy xiaobaiwen (white paper). You might think it's some great literature, but no, it isn't. For example, don't expect them to win any Nobel Prize In Literature.
  • CKtalon said:
    yjtabc said:
    CKtalon said:
    Most authors put author's notes, even Er Gen, just that most translators do not translate it. If you don't like it, you can just skip reading them?
    I'm not annoyed because of the concept of author's notes themselves, they're fine, it's just this author specifically and how he is constantly saying how good his plot is or how clever his writing is, that's all.  
    要不要这么认真???对于网络小说每天一万字的产量来说,又能写出多高的水平???你们现在阅读的小说其实在我看来是比较........呃,我应该用什么词形容?幼稚,幼稚的小说,我们的俗话说是小白文,White paper-----英文貌似是这个词。当然在中国数以百万计的网络小说中当然有写得好的,这还需要你们慢慢发现啊。至于你提到的问题,你忍耐一下吧!

    Translation: Can you not be so serious? For a web novel that produces about 10,000 characters a day, how high quality can it be??? The novels you are currently reading actually appear to me as...Uh, how should I describe it? Immature, immature novels. We commonly call it xiaobaiwen**, White paper—Apparently that's what is in English. Of course, there are ones that are written well amongst the millions of web novels in China. But it needs time for you to discover them. As for the question you raised, just wait patiently.

    **xiaobaiwen has no direct translation. It refers to simple plots, doesn't have a proper establishment of the plot, filled with words that bloat the plot and with extreme cookie-cutter directions and lack of imagination. Famous authors of xiaobaiwen are TJSS, IET, Tiancan Tudou, Chen Dong, Er Gen, etc
    And which are those who are written well? If they are written so well how come nobody picks them up , if they are written well they should be popular , no ?
  • CKtalon said:
    yjtabc said:
    CKtalon said:
    Most authors put author's notes, even Er Gen, just that most translators do not translate it. If you don't like it, you can just skip reading them?
    I'm not annoyed because of the concept of author's notes themselves, they're fine, it's just this author specifically and how he is constantly saying how good his plot is or how clever his writing is, that's all.  
    要不要这么认真???对于网络小说每天一万字的产量来说,又能写出多高的水平???你们现在阅读的小说其实在我看来是比较........呃,我应该用什么词形容?幼稚,幼稚的小说,我们的俗话说是小白文,White paper-----英文貌似是这个词。当然在中国数以百万计的网络小说中当然有写得好的,这还需要你们慢慢发现啊。至于你提到的问题,你忍耐一下吧!

    Translation: Can you not be so serious? For a web novel that produces about 10,000 characters a day, how high quality can it be??? The novels you are currently reading actually appear to me as...Uh, how should I describe it? Immature, immature novels. We commonly call it xiaobaiwen**, White paper—Apparently that's what is in English. Of course, there are ones that are written well amongst the millions of web novels in China. But it needs time for you to discover them. As for the question you raised, just wait patiently.

    **xiaobaiwen has no direct translation. It refers to simple plots, doesn't have a proper establishment of the plot, filled with words that bloat the plot and with extreme cookie-cutter directions and lack of imagination. Famous authors of xiaobaiwen are TJSS, IET, Tiancan Tudou, Chen Dong, Er Gen, etc
    And which are those who are written well? If they are written so well how come nobody picks them up , if they are written well they should be popular , no ?
  • CKtalon said:
    Pretty much every reader that enjoys translated novels done by the community enjoy xiaobaiwen (white paper). You might think it's some great literature, but no, it isn't. For example, don't expect them to win any Nobel Prize In Literature.
    oh no obviously its no Tolstoy but I still think its a bit harsh to say 'Immature, immature novels. We commonly call it xiaobaiwen**, White paper' I think its more accurate to say its a 'Light novel'
  • edited January 2017
    Light novels aren't serious novels, and the Chinese can call it any thing they want. For example, trying to brag that you read these web novels means you are a learned person will just make people roll their eyes. They have terms for light novels (literally 轻小说)

    Some of the proper novels are translated out there professionally, such as the Three Body Problem, which won the 2015 Hugo Award for Best Novel, or Folding Beijing, which won the 2016 Hugo Award for Best Novelette, and of course, Mo Yan's Red Sorghum, which helped him win the 2012 Nobel Prize in Literature.

    You got to understand that whatever web novels we are doing are just for entertainment, it will give you some laughs, it makes you enjoy it, but no serious reader one will call it serious literature.
  • Hmmm you all make fair points. I guess web novels or literarure put up on the internet is much less appreciated and classed as worse than actual books that publish on paper, it might be true in most cases but there are probably a lot of great ones. Though i might agree that lately i've been realising that the plots to these translated stories are somewhat simple and i dont know to what depth the authors of these novels think of their stories or even if they try to leave some sort of understanding or message with their stories. But i still enjoy them, though in all honesty the literature on online media is a new frontier and probably will not be one to be truly accepted for a long time as one that has the potential to produce well known authors. But I still think that if a person starts online the possible criticism and interaction even though it isnt proffessional can help develop an author faster and maybe even push them to becoming classed as an actual author with actual books having been printed and published.
  • Ditius said:
    Hmmm you all make fair points. I guess web novels or literarure put up on the internet is much less appreciated and classed as worse than actual books that publish on paper, it might be true in most cases but there are probably a lot of great ones. Though i might agree that lately i've been realising that the plots to these translated stories are somewhat simple and i dont know to what depth the authors of these novels think of their stories or even if they try to leave some sort of understanding or message with their stories. But i still enjoy them, though in all honesty the literature on online media is a new frontier and probably will not be one to be truly accepted for a long time as one that has the potential to produce well known authors. But I still think that if a person starts online the possible criticism and interaction even though it isnt proffessional can help develop an author faster and maybe even push them to becoming classed as an actual author with actual books having been printed and published.
    Web novels (the ones that are being translated actively) are meant as enjoyment. There's no shame to that. Someone watching movies isn't the same as watching some esoteric opera after all. Different strokes for different folks :)

    For your information, most of these web novels are published in paper form after they are done, but that doesn't remove the stigma of being 'lowly novels'.
  • Back to the new chapter discussion! Anyone wanna bet me a divine coin our protagonist fights one of the floor bosses on purpose?
  • Back to the new chapter discussion! Anyone wanna bet me a divine coin our protagonist fights one of the floor bosses on purpose?
    you won that bet xD
  • hey I am going to start reading Absolute Choice , Is  it good ? is the MC OP ? I like OP... :) :D
  • Lil_Bro said:
    hey I am going to start reading Absolute Choice , Is  it good ? is the MC OP ? I like OP... :) :D
    Very OP! Also a lot of references to manga which some people absolutely hate. I Enjoy it though. It's a fun read due to all the interactions but a lot to hate it for also. Still I like it
  • Lil_Bro said:
    hey I am going to start reading Absolute Choice , Is  it good ? is the MC OP ? I like OP... :) :D
    Very OP! Also a lot of references to manga which some people absolutely hate. I Enjoy it though. It's a fun read due to all the interactions but a lot to hate it for also. Still I like it
    Tbh using a character design from manga/anime makes it easier for me to imagine their appearance since in most cases, the author only lightly described their characters' characteristics. Although I have to say that using an ability from manga/anime is indeed quite uncreative but I do get where it's coming from since those abilities are pretty cool.
  • edited May 2017
    So I'm thinking the infernal queen destroyed the rest of the barriers from chap. 407/408? Any other guesses?
Sign In or Register to comment.