ISSTH and AWE typos, continuity and other mistakes

Hi, this thread is to report mistakes in the existing ISSTH and AWE chapters. I'm subscribed to the thread, so I'll be immediately notified if you post here.

What to post here. Mistakes including:
  1. Typos
  2. Grammar errors (please note that sometimes what people think are grammar mistakes are style choices. I don't promise that my style choices will conform with yours)
  3. Translation errors
  4. Continuity mistakes (sometimes these could be my fault, sometimes Er Gen's. Either way, I'd like to know about them)

What NOT to post here.
  1. Inconsistencies in capitalization. There is a huge issue throughout the translation of things being capitalized that shouldn't, and vice versa. I will fix this later in a major edit, so there's no need to inform me about them.
  2. Questions about the story
  3. Questions about spoilers
  4. Comments about the story
  5. Pretty much anything else.

Thanks and please feel free to post any mistakes here that you find.
Please read the first post in the Deathblade's mini-spoiler thread before posting there. Thanks!

Comments

• Hi,

You may want to consider these from Chapter 1028:
    Eventually, he slowly began to sidle his way over to an area behind where most of the black beetles were, where some a Sun Blossom was growing

... where a Sun Blossom was growing...

However, he was an eager study, and constantly imitated them in an effort to sound exactly like they did..

I think this should be: he was an eager student

From 1029:

The way that she had stepped out from the ripples the way she did left Meng Hao with the impression that she was in the early Ancient Realm.

Thank you for your effort to improve an already excellent translation.

• edited October 2016
    There's a typo in the instructions above: 

What NOT to post here.
    1. Inconsistencies is capitalization. 

B) Thanks!

• ihsan said:
    Hi,

You may want to consider these from Chapter 1028:
    Eventually, he slowly began to sidle his way over to an area behind where most of the black beetles were, where some a Sun Blossom was growing

... where a Sun Blossom was growing...

However, he was an eager study, and constantly imitated them in an effort to sound exactly like they did..

I think this should be: he was an eager student

From 1029:

The way that she had stepped out from the ripples the way she did left Meng Hao with the impression that she was in the early Ancient Realm.

Thank you for your effort to improve an already excellent translation.

Thanks. "Study" can be a noun used on a person. According to the dictionary it's mainly used with actors, but I think using it for students isn't uncommon. For the 1029 let me think about that. Gotta sleep now. Thanks!
    Please read the first post in the Deathblade's mini-spoiler thread before posting there. Thanks!
  • There's a typo in the instructions above: 

What NOT to post here.
    1. Inconsistencies is capitalization. 

B) Thanks!

fixed, thanks!
  • Also, technically your punctuation in the above post is inconsistent. Strictly speaking, you should punctuate each numbered line in a parallel way, so the easiest thing to do would be to add periods to the ends of lines that lack them. Also, the introductory line to the group of things not to post should also end in a colon. 

I'm not going to add grammar points to this assessment because it's more important to get things done and have them be understandable than to be perfect on all the fiddly bits. This post was more about preemptively teasing anyone picky about such things than anything else. 
  • http://m.wuxiaworld.com/issth-index/issth-book-6-chapter-897/
    "Almost as soon as soon as the Elder from the direct bloodline finished speaking, other Elders began to speak."
    Double "as soon"
  • Chapter 132:

“The Legacy of the Blood Immortal has waited countless years for the hoped for one to appear…”

I'd remove "the hoped for" but there's other potential ways to fix it as well. Sadly this thread didn't exist before, I found quite a few typos while rereading but didn't have your email. I'll post what I find from now on.
  • Chapter 133:

The Lightning Flag flew out, as well as two wooden swords, which emanating a freezing pressure. 

Either change the emanating to emanated or were emanating, or remove the which.
  • Chapter 135:

He considered for a moment, and then decided not to blot out it out.

One "out" needs to be removed. (As far as I know, I am not a native english speaker but that just seems wrong)
  • About continuity in chapter 134:

The chapter is about a closing door. It starts with 30m, then 6m, then 3m, then 1m. At that point Li Daoyi flees and damages the door even further causing it to shrink to less than 2m.

That makes no sense, it was already smaller than 2m.

Someone commented on this continuity problem in the chapter comments but no one replied to it. So I'll just leave this comment here and you can decide what to do about it :)
  • Thanks for these ones from past chapters, I'll get to them in the next 24 hours or so!
  • Hi,

From 1030:
    However, she maintained convinced that Meng Hao couldn’t possibly have many of the stones left.
    I think it should be ... she remained convinced...
    Blood sprayed from his mouth, and his cultivation base was began to tremble wildly, forcing him to stabilize it.
    Blood sprayed from his mouth, and his cultivation base was began to tremble wildly, forcing him to stabilize it.

Thanks.
  • Rosmarin said:
    About continuity in chapter 134:

The chapter is about a closing door. It starts with 30m, then 6m, then 3m, then 1m. At that point Li Daoyi flees and damages the door even further causing it to shrink to less than 2m.

That makes no sense, it was already smaller than 2m.

Someone commented on this continuity problem in the chapter comments but no one replied to it. So I'll just leave this comment here and you can decide what to do about it :)
    Ah I remember this chapter. I need to go back and check the original Chinese, so I'm going to put this on a list I maintain of things to check on in my next major edit.
  • Thanks everyone, all changes have been made as of this post. Look forward to any other things you find.
  • Chapter 1030: "...causing to to emit an ear-piercing howl." Thanks! 
  • Chapter 1030: "...causing to to emit an ear-piercing howl." Thanks! 
    thanks, fixed!
  • edited October 2016
    https://www.google.it/search?q=site:http://www.wuxiaworld.com/issth-index/+Kṣitigarbha
    On some mobile devices, "ṣ" of "Kṣitigarbha" is displayed as [_]:

For what I care, you can simply use a normal "s" in there to make it "Ksitigarbha".

Spoiler:
    From 897 to 994, I didn't spot other typos.
  • https://www.google.it/search?q=site:http://www.wuxiaworld.com/issth-index/+Kṣitigarbha

For what I care, you can simply use a normal "s" in there to make it "Ksitigarbha".

Spoiler:
    thanks for pointing this out, let me check with RWX
  • https://www.google.it/search?q=site:http://www.wuxiaworld.com/issth-index/+Kṣitigarbha

Spoiler:
    thanks for pointing this out, let me check with RWX
    On my mobile it's showing up totally fine. I don't think you need to change it DB.

Instead DemonCards should check why his mobile can't properly display it. I can post a screenshot if that's wanted as proof.
  • edited October 2016
    Many smartphones don't actually support full unicode. To install new unicode formats, one should flash or root their devices, but, even so, not all devices would support such installation as well. (considering that the device in question is a Samsung Galaxy top model)
  • Chapter 138: 
    Even though I’m the winner of the Legacy, I couldn’t control the power of the mask just now. And yes that discarnate soul could… 

From the context the yes should be yet instead.
  • Chapter 140:

This was his second time going under an assumed name, and he was a bit more use to it this time. 

Use should be used.
  • Rosmarin said:
    Chapter 140:

This was his second time going under an assumed name, and he was a bit more use to it this time. 

Use should be used.
    Thanks, fixed these ones. Even found another misspelling while I was at it T__T
  • Chapter 983 title and many more (I cant count how many this terms pops up in the story.)

I'm confused with 大圆满 translated into great circle. Great circle is only 大圆. Whats connection between a term of spherical geometry with cultivation ? From my understanding reading Chinese wiki and asking other translator about that term, its a Tibetan Buddhist term regarding of great (大) perfection (圆满).

• null said:

Chapter 983 title and many more (I cant count how many this terms pops up in the story.)

I'm confused with 大圆满 translated into great circle. Great circle is only 大圆. Whats connection between a term of spherical geometry with cultivation ? From my understanding reading Chinese wiki and asking other translator about that term, its a Tibetan Buddhist term regarding of great (大) perfection (c).

It's just what I picked when I first saw it. It's referring to something being complete. A circle is complete. Like the circle of life. I've thought about changing it in the final edited version, but probably won't.
  • Please read the first post in the Deathblade's mini-spoiler thread before posting there. Thanks!
  • http://m.wuxiaworld.com/issth-index/issth-book-7-chapter-1033/
    "she were she were"

http://m.wuxiaworld.com/issth-index/issth-book-7-chapter-1033/
    "If the thing were"
    I'm not sure if this is a valid "Subjunctive Mood" case (for using were instead of was).
  • http://www.wuxiaworld.com/issth-index/issth-book-4-chapter-483/

"Nascent Soul stage, and they were incredibly poerful. "
  • Chapter 1037. Again, english is not my native language but I'll still add it cause I think it's wrong. Perhaps there's some weird grammatical way in which this is right but I've never heard of out.

"Furthermore, upon the surfaces of those golden gate stone steles were packed with names, each one of which glittered with golden light that was visible to all cultivators in the Nine Seas God World."

"Upon ... were packed with names" sounds very very wrong. Should be something like:
    - Furthermore, names were packed upon.... Or
    - Furthermore, upon the surface, names were packed

Hope this helps, if not, just ignore it.