I want to start reading this but I am turned off by all the negative reviews...

People say that his personality has taken a 180 degree turn after like chapter 90. Is it warranted? I liked against the gods, SOTR. TDG, and DE.

Does his personality really go that far? Is it warranted?  

Comments

• the amount of reviews that say they he doesn't is more than the more who say his personality does. 
    so yeah i would start reading and just form your own opinions
  • the amount of reviews that say they he doesn't is more than the more who say his personality does. 
    Dont be a dick. People can ask for other peoples opinions. If you dont have anything worthwhile to say, dont say it. 
    Dont be a dick. People can ask for other peoples opinions. If you dont have anything worthwhile to say, dont say it. 
    how was I being a dick? legit curious all I said is that more people say it doesn't then people who does.
  • edited October 2016

from my own experience, I can guarantee that, in SOME cases fewer negative reviews reflect better truth than tens of 5* reviews written by blind fans (some with no quality taste at all)... this doesn't apply to all novels of course...

so, I would also be cautious of NU reviews before starting a new novel... I personally always read 1 or 2* rated reviews to get an opinion about any novel...

I havnt read this novel, nothing from me... just sharing some obvious facts about NU reviews...

If you don't know english, dont post at all.

• People say that his personality has taken a 180 degree turn after like chapter 90. Is it warranted? I liked against the gods, SOTR. TDG, and DE.

Yes, it does.

Shi Hao, our little guy (小不点) is depicted as a kind, honest, compassionate, innocent, intelligent and obedient child initially.

The moment he steps inside the Void God Realm the author decided to completely change his personality to fit the entire opposite description of his previous behavior, he can then be described as naughty, savage, treacherous, obstinate and extremely prone to robbing. His general nickname outside his village became 'savage brat'.

The change was too sudden, and completely unnatural, he just 'instantly changed', it felt unreasonable and frustrating to some extent. I don't know why the author thought doing this was a good idea, but I can tell it was, he probably thought his original profile was too boring and decided to change him to make things interesting.

And things really became interesting, the sudden change of personality is initially felt as a bad move, but the novel doesn't start very well anyway, the first 20 chapters are very weird, but from that point on it gets better and better, I strongly recommend you to read PW, it may not be popular here in Wuxiaworld but in China it's an extremely popular novel, Perfect World is a very very funny novel and you will definitely not regret reading it.
  • ZaiHuo said:
    People say that his personality has taken a 180 degree turn after like chapter 90. Is it warranted? I liked against the gods, SOTR. TDG, and DE.

Yes, it does.

Shi Hao, our little guy (小不点) is depicted as a kind, honest, compassionate, innocent, intelligent and obedient child initially.

The moment he steps inside the Void God Realm the author decided to completely change his personality to fit the entire opposite description of his previous behavior, he can then be described as naughty, savage, treacherous, obstinate and extremely prone to robbing. His general nickname outside his village became 'savage brat'.

The change was too sudden, and completely unnatural, he just 'instantly changed', it felt unreasonable and frustrating to some extent. I don't know why the author thought doing this was a good idea, but I can tell it was, he probably thought his original profile was too boring and decided to change him to make things interesting.

And things really became interesting, the sudden change of personality is initially felt as a bad move, but the novel doesn't start very well anyway, the first 20 chapters are very weird, but from that point on it gets better and better, I strongly recommend you to read PW, it may not be popular here in Wuxiaworld but in China it's an extremely popular novel, Perfect World is a very very funny novel and you will definitely not regret reading it.
    that's not quite right where he is raised is a barren wasteland there the general rule is might is right and due to lack of resources it follows the system of to the victor goes the spoils. in other word he was raised that if he see something he wants and someone else has it beat them up and take it that's the rule but when he goes to the void god realm he enter a chaste system where individual strength isn't valued but instead it is the people with the most influence that have the power, he doesn't understand the concept that "just because it's there doesn't mean you can take it" as such when he uses the system he is used to other view him as a savage which is true because he was raised in the savages way of thinking "i am strong i take what i want" compared to their way of "those people are from the head clan don't fight them even though i am stronger" it's not his personality that does a 180 it's the environment he is in that takes a drastic change with a different set off rules that he doesn't follow. personally i think the author has done a good job of portraying what would happen is a savage was introduced to modern society and the struggles of trying to understand a completely different set of social rules.
  • Its not bad but it's not good, I got put off when he left the village and started 'stealing' everything and pretty much every one hated him.. practically for no reason.
  • I think, his personality changed after he knew the truth about who he really is. He wants to become stronger to kill those who took his SB and tried to kill his parents. He is in desperate need of resource.
  • His personality changed for a reason... he was showed what happened to him during his very early years and because his parents disappeared he was unsure how to act, so he started acting like a savage... whatever can be consumed he would consume it to get stronger even if people cursed him, hated him he didn't care because he was way behind his older cousin and if he didn't quickly become stronger he would die at the hands of the rain clan/sect or his cousin... so although it may have been too quick or out of nowhere the problem lies with the author not doing a chapter on how the main character would stage his goals and how he would do it (basically become what he became so suddenly) other than that the story is solid and at first follows as the mc grows from a five yrs old to a teen ager in a world where there are no rules and they live in a wasteland and when you have no proper backing you will likely die... suggest giving it a try after you read past the flashback and you still don't like it then drop it... also although the reviews which have 1/2 stars are very practical they are foolish at the same time as they don't really make 1 point straight will it be an enjoyable story or not because let's make an example ISSTH not a perfect story and people know it but still enjoy even though there are tons of 1/2 star ratings which is why I never tend to rely on their opinions because I did so few times in the past and really regretted it for not reading those stories earlier naturally those 5 star ratings at times are not reliable as well but sometimes a few sentences from is much better than those so called (self proclaimed) critics...
  • edited February 2017
    I personally find it hard to get into the novel. I read it to chapter 213, and just couldn't really understand how to get into it. They made no attempt to get you to understand the cultivation methods nor the realms until it was far too late. It is extremely important to get that established early but it took so long I lost interest cause I couldn't understand how he was doing this to "powerful" people/creatures. I'm unsure if I just missed where they explained it earlier or if they just never bothered at all to give us a measurement as to comprehend the scale of strength but that kinda makes understanding anything very hard. The best I got was when he got his adoptive lil bro that he brought along with him to train when he went through the wilderness. After that the content of the story is nice. The origin story is exceptionally tragic making me want him to succeed, and the "family" of his that ruined him made me want for them to suffer. I want to like this novel but I couldn't get past that one issue that ruined my personal immersion. The novel is well written outside of the failure give us a comprehensive look at the cultivation ranks and methods. I would recommend this to people who don't mind that one thing that mad it hard for me. 

P.S.- is anyone knows the cultivation ranks please do tell. I would love to understand this novel
  • LigerCero said:
    I personally find it hard to get into the novel. I read it to chapter 213, and just couldn't really understand how to get into it. They made no attempt to get you to understand the cultivation methods nor the realms until it was far too late. It is extremely important to get that established early but it took so long I lost interest cause I couldn't understand how he was doing this to "powerful" people/creatures. I'm unsure if I just missed where they explained it earlier or if they just never bothered at all to give us a measurement as to comprehend the scale of strength but that kinda makes understanding anything very hard. The best I got was when he got his adoptive lil bro that he brought along with him to train when he went through the wilderness. After that the content of the story is nice. The origin story is exceptionally tragic making me want him to succeed, and the "family" of his that ruined him made me want for them to suffer. I want to like this novel but I couldn't get past that one issue that ruined my personal immersion. The novel is well written outside of the failure give us a comprehensive look at the cultivation ranks and methods. I would recommend this to people who don't mind that one thing that mad it hard for me. 

P.S.- is anyone knows the cultivation ranks please do tell. I would love to understand this novel
    About the cultivation, its just the way chen dong writes you either over look it and just focus on the story or it will be a pain as thats just the way it is... also a lot of novels usually leave out cultivation ranks and just brings them up when the main character is meant to break into that realm...
  • Of course his personality changes. My opinion is that its somewhat reasonable to change after he gets his past memories back. Only his thieving nature is out of place (idk where that came from), but it can be attributed to puberty i guess. Probably the author figured out the personality in the beginning was too plain and wouldn't captivate readers. I've got to say reading novel where the MC is totally dominating is better.
  • edited March 2017
    r0sen4y said:
    Of course his personality changes. My opinion is that its somewhat reasonable to change after he gets his past memories back. Only his thieving nature is out of place (idk where that came from), but it can be attributed to puberty i guess. Probably the author figured out the personality in the beginning was too plain and wouldn't captivate readers. I've got to say reading novel where the MC is totally dominating is better.
    I think that it will change to that as at the moment he is just a kid that can't get out of the shadow of his elder cousin, so probably after he gets his revenge and becomes older he will likely be more domineering...(don't know my speculation based on reading shit ton of xianxia/xuanhuan) - also the thieving is sort of not out of place, basically when he was a kid he witnessed that the tribe people were hunting to keep the village a float, so when he started doing it no one really came in front of him (from his village) and said "you shouldnt steal and pillage" because they themselves do it so if they told him to stop it would be hypocritical and if someone not related to him from his childhood said that, he would just listen and then ignore it... 
  • Seriously, I consider this one of most baffling things in Xianxia reviews. A guy is behaved while living in his home among those he cares for, under watchful eye of God that can and will WTFPWN annoyances into hamburger meat. Then he learns he was plotted against in outer world, travels to said outside world, and (GASP) is NOT behaved towards strangers and those wanting to harm him...

OMG IT MUST BE POD PERSON THAT GOT SWITCHED FOR MC! SOMEBODY CALL ALIEN EXTERMINATORS!!1!1!!

Then he returns home and OMG HIS PERSONALITY CHANGED AGAIN OMG PODS ARE EVERYWHERE!!1!!1

/rolleye
  • 4.5*
    I Have a question for those who criticize his personality changed. 
    Who in the world that has never have a personalty changed when they grown up?
    He was a baby alright. its normal for his personality to changed. And remember, the world he live is a dog eat dog world. 
    He is greedy for artefacts? I Bet those oldmaen cultivators more greedy than him.

My English is sucks 

• 4.5*
    I Have a question for those who criticize his personality changed. 
    Who in the world that has never have a personalty changed when they grown up?
    He was a baby alright. its normal for his personality to changed. And remember, the world he live is a dog eat dog world. 
    He is greedy for artefacts? I Bet those oldmaen cultivators more greedy than him.

My English is sucks 

Dont worry, too much about those questions as you would never get a proper reply as most people can only complain but when someone asks a logical question they never appear!! i agree with most of your statements!! 

Valheran said:
    Seriously, I consider this one of most baffling things in Xianxia reviews. A guy is behaved while living in his home among those he cares for, under watchful eye of God that can and will WTFPWN annoyances into hamburger meat. Then he learns he was plotted against in outer world, travels to said outside world, and (GASP) is NOT behaved towards strangers and those wanting to harm him...

OMG IT MUST BE POD PERSON THAT GOT SWITCHED FOR MC! SOMEBODY CALL ALIEN EXTERMINATORS!!1!1!!

Then he returns home and OMG HIS PERSONALITY CHANGED AGAIN OMG PODS ARE EVERYWHERE!!1!!1

/rolleye
    this made me giggle quite a bit!! i suggest putting this in a review on Perfect World and watch how you get dozens of likes for it!!
  • Actually in the start, he acts a little savage, for example when the children stole an egg of a Peng bird to solve the food for the village, so its not because his savage but thats how he truly is.... and when the MC said to a girl that the girl is fat, for example the Princess, he said it because in his village girls are tend to be robust...... if you truly read the novel you can also find his gluttony for beast and herbs to be reasonable because he is not wasting the chances to make his supreme bone grow..... the MC continues to grow every chapter because ofwhat he see and experience and also his memories......

Perfect World don't emphasize of what's the cultivation method's name because all of the people in the PW has the same method and process... the difference is only with the symbol techniques and the treasure.... what the author emphasize is the story and the process on the breakthrougs and the cultivations in PW world....

B) 
  • I get the personality shift. You are not gonna give your opponent your cheek to slap. Why must he show kindness to people in his way? He just learned this lesson. I don't exactly when cause it's been a while and the shift is abrupt but it is normal. I'd even dare to say Natural for him to be that way. Seems like a less murderous XianXia protagonist but still able to deal out punishment.