So I poked my nose into BttH, WDQK and TGR today...

Yes, through the manhua. It was just a faster read.
I haven't made a decision to MTL the earlier ones yet, but I became curious and had some questions in terms of how they relate/compare to each other...
I know that in The Great Ruler, the MCs from the two previous works end up in the same "overworld/higher realm" and that they needed to convert their cultivations to compatible ones. Any hints on if the weird/interesting bits of the other cultivation types carried over? Dou Qi armor, and stuff like that?

Xiao Yan's specialty was in supernatural flames and he's called the Flame Emperor or something now... are those still a thing in this series (TGR)? Is that something unique to the realm he was from, or would he be considered to have reached the utmost peak in that area already so there would be nothing that could advance him? Is there anyone else that uses flames in this series the way people used them in BttH?

Lin Dong uses mental energy and is a Symbol Master. From what I've seen, it's almost like being a psychic, you can move objects around, and are able to deliver ranged attacks within your "area of effect." But earlier on, it was also some sort of enchanting profession right? Does Lin Dong make weapons/gear with it? His title in this one is Martial Ancestor, so I guess he's known in this world for martial arts more than mental energy and weaponry/equipment making...

Mu Chen uses arrays... which seem like spells to me? Is it basically that he has spells that let him do a bunch of random stuff, and he has battle techniques that are strictly only useful for fighting? The arrays just let him attack in unexpected ways that other people, manipulate the fighting area and... well basically it seems like maybe arrays are a bit slower and more complicated? If you were to compare array masters and symbol masters (and then I guess flame users?) which would you say are better? Does he end up getting a spirit master or a cheat item like the other two?

Lots of questions there... well, if there aren't real answers, speculation can be fun, too. I think I'm going to read through these in order, but I'd enjoy spoilers regardless.

Comments

• edited July 2016

They were both domineering titles. They came from the Lower Planes, but according to Mu Chen’s speculation, they were probably considered as a true Sovereign within the Great Thousand World. That Martial Ancestor had once caused an enormous ruckus in the Great Thousand World. It was said that he charged into a rather powerful clan, the Ice Spirit Clan, within the Great Thousand World by himself. The Ice Spirit Clan could not stop the man, who was holding a Lightning Staff. That one battle trembled the heavens. When that was known, the entire Great Thousand World was shocked. And it was rumored that he had done all of this in order to save the person he loved.

In contrast, the unworldly Flame Emperor kept a low-profile. However, it was rumored that he had gone to the Fire Spirit Clan and the Fire Spirit Clan even asked an Old Ancestor, who had lived for numerous years, to come out. Yet, he was not able to get the upper hand against the Flame Emperor and had to let the Flame Emperor leave. This stunned everyone from the Fire Spirit Clan.

Arrays are of multiple uses, offense,defense, support- basically depending on situation. There are arrays which help you cultivate faster, teleport arrays, sealing space arrays- a wide wide usage.
     And you should read in order. since TGR start tells about Lin dong and XY exploits. And around 1100~1200 I think they meet with XY. Im still on 300-400 in both TGR and WDQK so cant comment much, tho i finished btth.

• I feel start with BTTH, then go WDQK and then TGR, tbh you can start with WDQK, but I feel the last few lines at the end of WDQK is A LOT more satisfying if you've read BTTH, hence my reasoning.

In terms of abilities, Xiao Yan creates a completely new type of fire technique that is incredibly overbearing, with that he uses the same types of abilities(Raging Buddha Lotus Flower etc.)

At least from what is shown right now in the raws(I've read entire BTTH, WDQK and all released raws of TGR) Lin Dong has not used any mental powers in TGR, but it has been stated he has his Ancestral Symbols, which is an awesome plus.

So after entering the Great Thousand Worlds(The world of TGR) they had to switch cultivation and absorb the new energies, from what I have understood so far, they had to abandon some abilities, but they still got alot of their characteristics.

The easiest way to explain Array Masters, are they are a form of construction, they construct energies to form or do specific tasks, such as create a massive lotus flower to attack people with. Or construct a hole through space which you can travel vast distances in a shorter time. I feel that's the easiest way to put it.
  • Its like formations in MGA, these two resemble each other a lot
  • edited July 2016
    Thanks for the clarification so far...

But if I can clarify one thing I was asking...

Would you be kind enough to explain the general sort of thing that Lin Dong's symbol powers do? Because from the manhua, it looked like telekinesis/telepathic attacks, plus magic tool creation/enchantment.

I think part of me is wondering if Arrays are just flat out better (or maybe more complicated/flexible) than Symbols?

Oh a side question I guess, does Mu Chen ever get a "cheat item" the way that Ling Dong (more so Ling Dong with that stone) and Xiao Yun (with his master's ring) did?
  • Lin Dong's Ancestral Symbols has some spoilers regarding the story, click below for info.

The Devouring Ancestral Symbol is the first he obtains, which has been revealed in the translations thus far. It allows him to literally devour anything in the world without any danger towards him. He can use this ability for various things, such as if he is underwater and has an incredible pressure on his body, he can use the Devouring Ancestral Symbol to reduce the pressure. He can also absorb energies instnatly that others can't and use it to increase his cultivation faster.

The second is the Thunder Ancestral Symbol, which basically makes him controll Thunder. The easiest way to explain the Thunder Ancestral Symbol is very much like Xiao Yan's Heavenly Flame, except that it's Lightning and not Fire. He can manipulate it into whatever shape or form he desires.

Mu Chen never gets a cheat item, he does however get a cheat Cultivation Technique. This cultivation technique stems from his mothers' clan which wants to kill him because they don't like his father is so weak, which they think is a disgrace to his clan. He also has a Divine Pulse which has currently been sealed by his mother because if it is active the clan can track his whereabouts which his mother does not want.

Spoilers regarding the cultivation tecnique below:

The reason that this cultivation technique is so cheatsy doodles is because it's incredibly overbearing. At first he can create a massive Pagoda which is incredibly durable and can only be destroyed by people far above his level. Later on when he cultivates higher, the pagoda has a huge Golden Dragon image on it and inside is a golden flame. This golden flame can literally seal just about anything as long as it is inside Mu Chen's strength level.

After he reaches Earth Sovereign he starts cultivating this technique more seriously, he has a method planted by his mother where he recieves a spiritual body and breaks into the clan of his mother to absorb ancient qi, which is a major step and a major crime without authorization. He was about to be destroyed by the clan who went where the ancient qi was, but recieved help by his mother who manipulated the formations in the area.

After absorbing the Ancient Qi, his Spiritual Qi obtained the ability to seal other peoples Spiritual Qi as long as he can touch them. Meaning as soon as he lands a punch on someone, he can basically disable that person from using Qi for a very long time. That means people tend to avoid close combat with him, at which he uses formation arrays to beat the crap out of them. XD

The colour of Mu Chen's Spiritual Qi also takes multiple colour changes throughout the story. At first his Spiritual Qi is completely black because he only has the Yang part of the Cultivation Technique. He later meets a girl who was raised by his mother who has memeory loss thanks to his clan, who remembers that she has the Yin part of the cultivation technique. After that the spiritual qi takes the colour of shades of both black and white.

After absorbing the Ancient Qi of the Gu Clan, his spiritual qi became crystallized and noted to be incredibly beautiful, while at the same time incredibly dangerous. All in all, it's one of the most strongest cultivation techniques in the universe. It can devour and seal virtually anything through the great Pagoda, and through physical contact seal other people's Spiritual Qi. It's pretty darn OP.
  • edited July 2016
    I would have to disagree with you. He gets a powerful cultivation technique but it cannot be considered as CHEAT . All the 5 ancient clans will have their own supreme  techniques which are comparable to above technique which you mentioned.He hardly uses the Black pagoda in the story for first 1000 chapters. Also, the inheritance which he gets from Heaven Sovereign(which he obtains by himself) is much more OP has can create 3 bodies(which is basically multiplying his power by 3) and that's only the first of 3 stages of the technique.
          Basically throughout the story he hardly receives any cheat or OP item. Most of the techniques he gets and uses are the things which he won and obtained inheritance from after struggling a lot. Even the body spirit, which some ppl might say his mother helped him is only first part out of 3-- which is not  difficult to obtain as one's of his random rivals has it. The main struggle is getting the 2nd and 3rd part for which he has to right a lot without any help.  The only help he gets is above technique (mentioned by flyingboots) from his mother's clan-- but this also he hardly uses for first 1000 chapters as he may be recognized.
          So summing up, this is a story where MC has no OP cheat and not much help from outside and no powerful backer and basically has to rely on his own strength to become stronger-- which makes it a little different from other xianxia's where MC initially gets OP item or is reincarnated and or has some magical ghost helping him. I just wanted to clarify that MC does not become powerful due some cheat item or OP technique(like in most other novels) which some ppl may infer after reading Flyingboots comment
  • edited July 2016
    The other 4 cultivation methods of the clans has not been revealed. And EVERY TIME he has used the Black Pagoda cultivation, he has beaten the enemy, HARD. How can that not be considered a cheat? I mean, the enemies has not even stood a chance against it.
  • MC has will always win.And if you are saying that MC can fight one step higher because of it,then  it was mentioned in one of the recent chapters even Lou li can defeat higher level ppl (so her body technique also cheat?) If that is considered cheat, then will be at  least dozen techniques similarly powerful including techniques of Lin dong and Xiao Yan and other ancient clans.At the end of the day, it's powerful, but not as powerful as you make it to be(considering it's not even MC trump card)
                In my opinion cheat is something completely out of the world and insanely OP like coiling dragon ring etc..
  • edited July 2016
    Luo Li can certainly fight people higher ranked, because of her sovereign body, but not on the same kind of level that Mu Chen does it, Luo Li can defeat other people higher than her, Mu Chen can completely disable their ability to fight back, or even fight at all for that matter. There's a huge difference.
  • Both Xiao Yan and Lin Dong have a special field they r gud at like Xiao Yan is a very strong as well as world class pill maker where as Lin Dong is like Xiao Yan strong as well he is great at Symbol Master so we can expect Mu chen also suppose to have specialty aswell and as the story is going its seems pretty visible tht Mu Chen would become Top Array Master
  • Luo Li can certainly fight people higher ranked, because of her sovereign body, but not on the same kind of level that Mu Chen does it, Luo Li can defeat other people higher than her, Mu Chen can completely disable their ability to fight back, or even fight at all for that matter. There's a huge difference.
    False. Luo Li seems pretty hyped considering she is able to fight for a good moment with a half big perfection stage that is considered very strong in this stage... He is probably at least as strong (but probably stronger cause he can stand up to an attack from a big perfection stage) as the first disciple of the Hundred battles Emperor, which Chu Feng beat down but it was really hard. So you can say she is at least as hyped as the Mc, or just a bit less.
    I should add than she could help fight a big perfection stage while being in lower stage even if she was in lower stage.
    So i'm not sure she would be any weaker than the Mc if she was at the same level of cultivation. 
    Well he upgrade his pagoda tower so he is probably a bit stronger. And if he got time he can use spiritual array. But she should be able to fight with him pretty much evenly for a good while.
  • Chu Feng...? ;o And tbh, I don't think so, she's at least a level or two below Mu Chen, even without Spiritual Arrays.
  • She's not as powerful as MC due to variety of reasons arrays mastery, peerless divine ability etc.. We are reaching the end of cultivation so no one of his MC peer group can compare with now - even the people from ancient clans are at best equal to him  and after this is arc, he will exceed them by a huge margin to become most powerful person of youngest generation.
  • If she goes all out against Mu Chen and he doesnt use arrays or the 2 clones , i think she can give him a solid fight.

今晚想跟我上床吗?

• edited October 2016
    Don't forget Mu Chen also is a battefield master and can control huge army.He has no competition among his generation anymore- other people are not even close, even from ancient clans. Only people who are stronger than him are heaven sovereigns.
  • Well dont forget Luo Li is still LPES, he is like half great perfection.

今晚想跟我上床吗?

• I feel start with BTTH, then go WDQK and then TGR, tbh you can start with WDQK, but I feel the last few lines at the end of WDQK is A LOT more satisfying if you've read BTTH, hence my reasoning.

In terms of abilities, Xiao Yan creates a completely new type of fire technique that is incredibly overbearing, with that he uses the same types of abilities(Raging Buddha Lotus Flower etc.)

At least from what is shown right now in the raws(I've read entire BTTH, WDQK and all released raws of TGR) Lin Dong has not used any mental powers in TGR, but it has been stated he has his Ancestral Symbols, which is an awesome plus.

So after entering the Great Thousand Worlds(The world of TGR) they had to switch cultivation and absorb the new energies, from what I have understood so far, they had to abandon some abilities, but they still got alot of their characteristics.

The easiest way to explain Array Masters, are they are a form of construction, they construct energies to form or do specific tasks, such as create a massive lotus flower to attack people with. Or construct a hole through space which you can travel vast distances in a shorter time. I feel that's the easiest way to put it.
    You should start with BTTH then move to WDQK and then TGR. I started with TGR and I am now struggling to get through BTTH.
  • I got some questions. What level would Lin dong would have been when he broke the plane shackles and came to ten thousand worlds.

symbol ancestor in WDQ created the ancestral symbols and some cool weapons mainly against outer territory demons. XY became famous because of pills even in TGR world ,  since Lin dong has far surpassed symbol ancestor power level,
    I was expecting lin dong would create some weapons to only cope with outer territory demons like in WDQ, but until now author hasn't mentioned anything about it. So what do you guys think ?
  • I would have to disagree with you. He gets a powerful cultivation technique but it cannot be considered as CHEAT . All the 5 ancient clans will have their own supreme  techniques which are comparable to above technique which you mentioned.He hardly uses the Black pagoda in the story for first 1000 chapters. Also, the inheritance which he gets from Heaven Sovereign(which he obtains by himself) is much more OP has can create 3 bodies(which is basically multiplying his power by 3) and that's only the first of 3 stages of the technique.
          Basically throughout the story he hardly receives any cheat or OP item. Most of the techniques he gets and uses are the things which he won and obtained inheritance from after struggling a lot. Even the body spirit, which some ppl might say his mother helped him is only first part out of 3-- which is not  difficult to obtain as one's of his random rivals has it. The main struggle is getting the 2nd and 3rd part for which he has to right a lot without any help.  The only help he gets is above technique (mentioned by flyingboots) from his mother's clan-- but this also he hardly uses for first 1000 chapters as he may be recognized.
          So summing up, this is a story where MC has no OP cheat and not much help from outside and no powerful backer and basically has to rely on his own strength to become stronger-- which makes it a little different from other xianxia's where MC initially gets OP item or is reincarnated and or has some magical ghost helping him. I just wanted to clarify that MC does not become powerful due some cheat item or OP technique(like in most other novels) which some ppl may infer after reading Flyingboots comment
    Meng hao is someone like that , may be you could better say until some point of time.
  • TGR isn't about a humble beginning to dominant badass main character it's about an elite character that should have been leaps and bounds ahead the rest a paragon of his generation getting screwed over and his journey to catch up to enemies that should have been far beneath him he isn't like other MC's like meng hao and ji ning who's goal is the pursuit of strength his is the journey to regain what should have been rightfully his and prove to those that stole it from him that their efforts were wasted because he is was and always will be there superior
  • TGR isn't about a humble beginning to dominant badass main character it's about an elite character that should have been leaps and bounds ahead the rest a paragon of his generation getting screwed over and his journey to catch up to enemies that should have been far beneath him he isn't like other MC's like meng hao and ji ning who's goal is the pursuit of strength his is the journey to regain what should have been rightfully his and prove to those that stole it from him that their efforts were wasted because he is was and always will be there superior
    can someone please tell me. will lin dong reunited with ying huan huan again?
  • So from the latest chapter it's pretty much confirmed that those that reached the top of a lesser plane are Heavenly Sovereigns (Lower ones I guess).  Knowing Lin Dong and Xiao Yan they had plenty of time to reach the peak of it and beyond.