Conspiracy about Mad Snail

Comments

• Bastard, so Author banned the webnovel to make reader wait manhua version to long and We all knew is to force reader to buy manhus, suck
  • According to this site http://www.novelupdates.com/series/tales-of-demons-and-gods/ Mad Snail already dropped TDG
  • madfreak said:
    According to this site http://www.novelupdates.com/series/tales-of-demons-and-gods/ Mad Snail already dropped TDG
    Not so much as dropped as its on "indefinite hiatus" like Hunter x Hunter :P
  • I don't know if the author will update. I don't believe he will, but at least wait until you are 110% positive he's not going to update before you give up on him. When I first started reading I loved this story, and even though it's less than before, I still like the story. So I'll wait the 3 years for the novel to update, losing 3 seconds of my life clicking on the link, looking around for another second and then closing the page. It only takes a few seconds off of your life, it won't kill you. In three years, maybe I will give up on him, but until then I will keep on checking.
  • Medler360 said:
    I don't know if the author will update. I don't believe he will, but at least wait until you are 110% positive he's not going to update before you give up on him. When I first started reading I loved this story, and even though it's less than before, I still like the story. So I'll wait the 3 years for the novel to update, losing 3 seconds of my life clicking on the link, looking around for another second and then closing the page. It only takes a few seconds off of your life, it won't kill you. In three years, maybe I will give up on him, but until then I will keep on checking.
    I do believe that the reason so many of us are giving up on Mad Snail is that this isn't the first time he's lost interest in a story and stopped writing.  In fact, there is a pattern of this happening.  The reason I compared him to Togashi Yoshihiro (Mangaka of HxH, among other things, see his list of works here: https://www.mangaupdates.com/authors.html?id=15) is that both have a habit of just kind of dropping series that they have lost interest in.  That's the reason why Yu Yu Hakusho and a few of his other mangas ended abruptly.  That's also the reason why a lot of Mad Snail's works end abruptly as well.  Admittedly HxH's hiatus is due to him starting a family, but it also seems like he may have lost interest in the series for a while before this.  
  • Medler360 said:
    I don't know if the author will update. I don't believe he will, but at least wait until you are 110% positive he's not going to update before you give up on him. When I first started reading I loved this story, and even though it's less than before, I still like the story. So I'll wait the 3 years for the novel to update, losing 3 seconds of my life clicking on the link, looking around for another second and then closing the page. It only takes a few seconds off of your life, it won't kill you. In three years, maybe I will give up on him, but until then I will keep on checking.
    He doesn't outright say he's dropping it, we can only speculate base off of what he's been doing, which thus far, has given us more than ample evidence to support him dropping TDG.
    As kuppy said, TDG is following his usual trend, so there really is nothing wrong with saying he dropped the novel/lost interest.
    I admire your faith in him, but three years is quite a long time to wait for a "what-if" that's not very likely to come true.

• Mad Snail is more Im Dal Young than Togashi Yoshiro. Just see it yourself https://www.mangaupdates.com/authors.html?id=1554.
  • New chapter out.
  • I don't know if anyone else read Star Martial God Technique, but it's actually pretty good.

Characterization and development is solid.
    Characters are fun and engaging.
    The cultivation system is shallow/limited but that makes it interesting.
    It actually has some funny/genre subverting moments.
    I stopped about twenty chapters short of the ending, but based on what I saw of the ending, most of the actual plot gets wrapped up, with a few hanging mysteries for the "second book" or whatever. Having a set stopping point, helps him in ramping up towards the end. Though there's definitely room for more stuff. At the least, the series mentioned high ranks of treasure that we never get to see or even hear rumor of.

On the negative side...
    He still introduces characters and almost immediately pushes them to the side/forgets about them. His unnaturally fast advancement in cultivation is partly to blame for that though. (Lei Hong was the coolest, dammit!)
    There seems to be a definite moment where the main character's morals go from steady changes to a sudden jump towards ruthless.
    Only the main character's cultivation system gets much development. We see two tricks that Dragon types use, and maybe five that Flame types use. He gets something like nine or eleven. He's also the only prominent Star type in the series, and most of his techniques are unique to him, meaning of all the fights, we barely see any other techniques.
    One of the more interesting elements of the early chapters, where he can adapt techniques from other martial arts types (since Star techniques have been lost and mostly forgotten by the world beyond their use in healing), gets dropped and never used again after its initial reveal.
    His relationship with the main love interest isn't that engaging, but that's because she's barely in the story after the first arc.
    The resolution for the main character in that last chapter seems... just awful. If he's not the protagonist of the second book then I'll be disappointed.

As for him shifting focus between the two stories? I'm pretty sure it's "greed" in the sense that he probably makes more off the manhua than he does from the web novels (I don't think they are bundled and sold in actual bookstores), and even at a less than steady rate of writing, he's best off having two or three manhua going on at once, and creating backlogs of chapters to be adapted than only having a single series. I'm not saying it's right, but I think I get why he'd do it. TDG seems like something that he could keep writing well into 2000 chapters if he stuck with it at a steady pace. He won't, but it's the sort of story with a hazy, ill-defined end-point that could take many, many, many years to reach a conclusion.

If I'm being honest, TDG starts with a lot of potential that gets squandered, to the point where it seems like he just throws things out and sees what he likes after the fact. He's awful at juggling more than two or three characters at once. SMGT feels much "tighter" as a story, and you can feel a definite beginning, middle and end progression throughout the first book. No idea if it will stay that way though, should there ever be a second book.
  • Star Martial God could be so good it can suck my dick! I still wont read anything from this guy ever again. Can't trust him to finish a story.
  • PsychoSid said:
    Star Martial God could be so good it can suck my dick! I still wont read anything from this guy ever again. Can't trust him to finish a story.
    Completely with you on that. I will acknowledge TGA is the first to break me into this world of books. Originally, due to constantly seeing the Manga pop up on the main site I use for manga updates. Clicked out of boredom, took a little bit to get over the bad translation in the comic along with how much "wall of text" would occur, then got hooked, powered through, found the novel to continue. Then all this happened.

Moved over to Desolate Era due to the comic that one started as well and Martial God Asura. At least those authors show themselves to be consistent.

It's a shame. I'd like to read all the OP gains and battles to the conclusive battle with the Sage Emperor, but assume if he did, he'd super rush everything and drop 2/3 the supporting characters like he has already done.
  • Unsure whats going on with the author. Found a link for an animated series (looks like the clip is only for the first few chapters). Im assuming if he has given up on the series he has sold the rights to someone else.

• oh god that animation. is that supposed to be a game?
  • edited May 2017
    1-2 years ago I used to do some amateur translations for this novel... then I dropped it because of Mad Snail's lies.

So how's it going now? Has things improved hahaha
    古月方源 - “当困境来临时,要把心交给希望。”
  • CKtalon said:
    It's already known by many Chinese fans over in China about a month ago. Even the stickied thread on TDG's Tieba page said it is 'killing' itself, with no updates to the manhua or the novel going to be posted anymore since they all feel betrayed.

Previously, there were many loyal readers who stood up for the author saying it's because of his poor health and readers should think for the author, but with the light of the new novel, they all felt like they got slapped in the face.

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4533357471
    http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4531369613

http://forum.qidian.com/NewForum/Detail.aspx?threadid=268752264
    http://forum.qidian.com/NewForum/Detail.aspx?threadid=268759545

Mad Snail also posted that he is posting TDG slowly because of personal reasons. However, the personal reasons seem to be for his new novel. He also promises to end TDG's novel properly, or he would not put in so much effort in the manhua. However, some people might know that there have been staff changes in TDG's manhua too, which fans are speculating is due to losing trust in the author's vision for TDG.

This is also not the first time Mad Snail has done this. He began writing TDG about 27 chapters before his previous work (TDG's prequel, Cult of the Sacred Runes) ended. Just before it ended, the main character also leveled up extremely fast, and a sudden ending happened, which is mirroring what is happening in the latest TDG raws. The difference with TDG and CSR was that while CSR was ending, it was still being updated 2x a day, while TDG's early chapters were being updated once every other day or so. So it is understandable that back then, he wanted to pull readers over to his new work, but still prioritizing CSR. But with this new novel, it seems the opposite. It's like the priority is no longer on TDG, but his new novel.

There are still Chinese fans who have trust in the author, and I'm sure a lot of international readers feel the same. But this is a heads up to be mentally prepared. Of course, the best outcome is a good ending from the author.

hard to accept.... now i understand why my work is also in decline...
     :) 
  • how bout someone else who has good imagination pick up where he left it? lol i jus want it to have a acceptable ending now...
  • I hope MadSnail will comeback in this work and write the next chapter per day or multiple chapters per day
  • I hope MadSnail will comeback in this work and write the next chapter per day or multiple chapters per day
    Probably never, after I read his previous story and saw the ending, I lost hope in him.
    古月方源 - “当困境来临时,要把心交给希望。”
  • TDG nowadays is very popular not only in china but also on other country. It may return the interest of the author. In fact, the author is helping manua manga to be made. And there is the latest animation of tgd. It may piqued the interest of most people.
  • Stop dreaming.
  • So I am probably going to catch some flak for this but what is this other projects name and is it being translated?

• is the author now free? his latest work on novelupdate status hiatus? as for what i need come here, actualy from some far distance ago i read stop read stop TDG but the last few week i ended up reading upto the latest chapter, is TDG will back? idk where to ask
  • potanx said:
    is the author now free? his latest work on novelupdate status hiatus? as for what i need come here, actualy from some far distance ago i read stop read stop TDG but the last few week i ended up reading upto the latest chapter, is TDG will back? idk where to ask
    It's not "back," just a rushed ending.
    Last I checked, which was a bit ago, Star Martial God was on hiatus (LOL), so not really sure what he's doing. Probably just the same as he always does, being "sick" or w/e
  • TDG was a fun novel until he started power leveling the MC, then dropped it before even finishing the rushed ending. Would I read another Mad Snail novel? Sure, but I'd wait until it was completed, and confirmed it wasn't a rushed ending before starting it.
  • TDG was a fun novel until he started power leveling the MC, then dropped it before even finishing the rushed ending. Would I read another Mad Snail novel? Sure, but I'd wait until it was completed, and confirmed it wasn't a rushed ending before starting it.
    Pretty much this. I didn't know that Mad Snail was this type of writer. I mean the opposite end of the spectrum is bad too, beating a dead horse to squeeze out more money.

But the "endings" are terrible. Quick level ups and abrupt endings. I don't think I'll ever pick up another Mad Snail novel until it's been completed and the ending is known to not be rushed.
  • toako said:
    TDG was a fun novel until he started power leveling the MC, then dropped it before even finishing the rushed ending. Would I read another Mad Snail novel? Sure, but I'd wait until it was completed, and confirmed it wasn't a rushed ending before starting it.
    Pretty much this. I didn't know that Mad Snail was this type of writer. I mean the opposite end of the spectrum is bad too, beating a dead horse to squeeze out more money.

But the "endings" are terrible. Quick level ups and abrupt endings. I don't think I'll ever pick up another Mad Snail novel until it's been completed and the ending is known to not be rushed.
    Well that's all Money Money Money and keep on bringing more money so he can move faster... 
  • Madsnail free ? Look at dat TDG anime. He want to squeeze everything he gets from selling its IP.
  • I've actually been following this since early 2015. And it went from extremely active, every day like others said, to once a week~, and in the last several months one chapter in a single month. Stupid, in fact I've forgotten a lot of things and have been recently reading the story again to obtain a refresher. I love the story it's self and Nie Li is funny and cool. This was my first Web Chinese light novel, so it has a special spot in my heart and I don't like abandoning things anyway. I hope he'll stop at least seeming like a selfish idiot. Have a nice day everyone.
  • http://kissanime.ru/Special/AreYouHuman2?reUrl=/Anime/Tales-of-Demons-and-Gods/Episode-001?id=136397&s=default 
    anime 

ive been following this translation before this got to wuxiaworld and its freaking heartbreaking thats it in haitus like hunter x hunter or maybe drop entirely 
  • At least with Hunter x Hunter Togashi just wants time to spend with his family.  Mad Snail is just literally milking it