Conspiracy about Mad Snail

So this is probably nothing new to people who have been keeping up with the latest raws. To summarize, since 3 months ago, the author has claimed illness, the birth of his daughter and the death of his grandfather to slow down his chapter release rate. It went from 2 chapters a day to about 1 chapter every 8+ days. That is still fine with loyal readers, as they waited patiently for new updates every week.

However, recently, it was discovered what the author was doing. In chapter 434, there was this line, 

但是叶星河的这枚丹药,上面蕴含的澎湃药力。竟然比他自身修炼出来的力量还要强大得多!
But Ye Xinghe's elixirs...

So who is Ye Xinghe? From the context of the story's progress, it is definitely Nie Li.

So Chinese readers began to dig and they found out that Ye Xinghe is the main character of a new book, 星武神诀.
http://shenqi.quyuewang.cn/?mod=book_list&id=74001

The author's name is 发飚的蜗牛, compare that to TDG's author's name 发飙的蜗牛. The second character is slightly different, with the order of the side-characters swapped.

New chapters for this book have been released daily (it's already at Chapter 20), so clearly, Mad Snail isn't greatly motivated to carry on updating TDG, even when he can. Also, he has been putting a bit more effort into TDG's manhua.

So for those who hope that TDG ends with a proper ending with loose ends tied up, you will probably be disappointed.

Comments

• Damn... He could have at least told us the truth... 

Thanks for the info!
  • Due to the word conspiracy, I am a little slow to believe this bit of news. However, I do realize that the story have been moving at a very fast pace lately. To many events happening to quickly for me to make heads or tails of the trajectory of the story apart from Nie Li will fight the Sage Emperor.
  • I've definitely gotten the impression that the author gets bored easily. He started the school arc after getting bored of Glory City, then he got bored of that and started writing about Nie Li establishing his faction, then he got bored of that and started rushing towards the ending. 
  • I'd rather that the author decided to take a break from TDG, went and did something else for a while and then later came back with tons of enthusiasm and wrote like crazy :D 

• for an author to drop a novel or slow it down to focus on a different one is nothing new... even IET have done so... so why change his name to hide it? There is no reason. Futhermore by chaning his name he will loose the support of those that are already his fun (remeber that tdg is not his first novel so he have already some followers) and if it get out (and it doesn't seem that hard based on how the names are similar) he will even get a bad reputation... this is really an idiot move... and even if the author happen to be such an idiot I seriously doubt that someone who even had his novel adapted into a manga don't have someone by his side with enough experience in the field/intellect to tell him what he is going toward...

with this what I want to say is that I seriously doubt that this theory (while fascinating) actualy is correct... also... if non chinese reader managed to find those hints i doubt that the chinese comunity will fail to notice them as well... so the author will probably have to make a statement on it pretty soon... just relax and wait... I doubt it will go more than one week before we get some "official" info on the matter ;)
  • I didnt catch on the name when i read the chapter , but now that i checked it is Ye Xinghe. However no idea if he is mc in another novel or not.

今晚想跟我上床吗?

• edited May 2016
    It's already known by many Chinese fans over in China about a month ago. Even the stickied thread on TDG's Tieba page said it is 'killing' itself, with no updates to the manhua or the novel going to be posted anymore since they all feel betrayed.

Previously, there were many loyal readers who stood up for the author saying it's because of his poor health and readers should think for the author, but with the light of the new novel, they all felt like they got slapped in the face.

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4533357471
    http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4531369613

http://forum.qidian.com/NewForum/Detail.aspx?threadid=268752264
    http://forum.qidian.com/NewForum/Detail.aspx?threadid=268759545

Mad Snail also posted that he is posting TDG slowly because of personal reasons. However, the personal reasons seem to be for his new novel. He also promises to end TDG's novel properly, or he would not put in so much effort in the manhua. However, some people might know that there have been staff changes in TDG's manhua too, which fans are speculating is due to losing trust in the author's vision for TDG.

This is also not the first time Mad Snail has done this. He began writing TDG about 27 chapters before his previous work (TDG's prequel, Cult of the Sacred Runes) ended. Just before it ended, the main character also leveled up extremely fast, and a sudden ending happened, which is mirroring what is happening in the latest TDG raws. The difference with TDG and CSR was that while CSR was ending, it was still being updated 2x a day, while TDG's early chapters were being updated once every other day or so. So it is understandable that back then, he wanted to pull readers over to his new work, but still prioritizing CSR. But with this new novel, it seems the opposite. It's like the priority is no longer on TDG, but his new novel.

There are still Chinese fans who have trust in the author, and I'm sure a lot of international readers feel the same. But this is a heads up to be mentally prepared. Of course, the best outcome is a good ending from the author.

• Thanks for the heads up Cktalon, at least we know what to expect now..
  • Great, detailed info! Thanks for posting them.

I thought the slow updates were because of the author being so attached to his first child but now I think it's most probably not.
  • Well that is just shitty, hard to trust someone like this author really.
  • edited May 2016

p.s thanks for the info
  • No surprise whatsoever to me and I've been pretty vocal about it for a long time now XD I can't even describe my disappointment with Shen Wen Dao when the MC had to start hiding his identity. It turned to absolute garbage from that point forward.
  • i doubt i will have enough faith to read his other books if he does this!!
  • kr33d said:
    i doubt i will have enough faith to read his other books if he does this!!
    Somehow I doubt the author feels very threatened by this threat lol
  • Hiyono said:
    kr33d said:
    not threatening the author..i dont even think he will read this..its just that he'll lose his own fans this way..
  • kr33d said:
    Hiyono said:
    kr33d said:
    not threatening the author..i dont even think he will read this..its just that he'll lose his own fans this way..
    He already lost them :P
  • Yeah I'm not buying this. There's a reason conspiracy theorists are treated like loons. Gonna need more than this.
  • Ainzoal said:
    Yeah I'm not buying this. There's a reason conspiracy theorists are treated like loons. Gonna need more than this.
    I'm just using the word conspiracy because it is not 100% proved, but it is pretty much 99% proved by the Chinese readers. And seeing it's been 9 days since the last chapter update, doesn't sound like a stretch.
  • it good when we know what really happen to the series...
    not just hope everyday he will release new chapter...
  • Ainzoal said:
    Yeah I'm not buying this. There's a reason conspiracy theorists are treated like loons. Gonna need more than this.
    There's factual information/evidence that supports this "conspiracy" theory. And as CKTalon rightly said, it's not 100% proven so it's difficult to word it otherwise.
    I'm not sure the word, "conspiracy" was the best word to use as it has a negative connotation and usually people aren't too trusting of such claims.
    Regardless, this information seems to be pretty accurate.
  • So he used his child as an excuse to lie and start writing a new book.........so it turns out he's a bad author AND a bad father. If he gets bored so easily by writing.....why not just write a shorter book wtf.....this is such a huge stab towards loyal readers
  • It's cute watching people readily accept assumptions as truth.

While it may most likely be the case, it's still pure speculation and should be treated with skepticism and not taken with salt.
  • xigua said:
    It's cute watching people readily accept assumptions as truth.

While it may most likely be the case, it's still pure speculation and should be treated with skepticism and not taken with salt.
    It is assumption, also the fact that such a assumption is even going around means that there would be some form of truth to the matter
  • xigua said:

Well with the authors prior history of rushing out his novel and even starting another one before the other is finished, also with some room for suspicion that it is him writing that other novel, I think there is some truth in the matter. It all just seems really sketchy, the MC of another novel appears in his novel by mistake, also said author also shares the same name with a change in 1 kanji.
  • Did the author make statement to deny this rumor after it spread out...
    If not mostly 99.99% of this rumor is true...
  • Someone's a little unhappy to be hearing this.
  • edited May 2016
    xigua said:

Can you even read. Pretty much everyone here that has voiced their opinion towards this subject has acknowledged it as speculation. Even the OP said it might not necessarily be true, just that it has a good chance to be.
    It's cute seeing you try to sound like you know what you're saying. :)
  • in gate of apocalypse the MC is a writer, and his friend han bi is his fans. did you guys remember when han bi said his penis is small bcos the mc didnt update his story LMAO.
    i guess the china fans already curse mad snail more vicious...lmao
  • CKtalon said:
    New chapters for this book have been released daily (it's already at Chapter 20), so clearly, Mad Snail isn't greatly motivated to carry on updating TDG, even when he can. Also, he has been putting a bit more effort into TDG's manhua.

So for those who hope that TDG ends with a proper ending with loose ends tied up, you will probably be disappointed.
    CKtalon said:
    It's like the priority is no longer on TDG, but his new novel.

There are still Chinese fans who have trust in the author, and I'm sure a lot of international readers feel the same. But this is a heads up to be mentally prepared. Of course, the best outcome is a good ending from the author.

Well, the manhua's art is really cheap. Dropping the novel to support the manhua is a bit too much.
    TDG is refreshing and enjoyable. If the author will drop it, most probably, one of us will make a fanfiction continue of it.
    If the author gets bored so easily, we just take his ideas, and make something anew by ourselves. Lazy pigs must know their place.
  • Dropping TDG and continuing another story under another allias will be the one of the most idiotic things he will do in his life. TDG and his old allias have established fanbase. TDG has manga going on and has promising arc's. I accept he may reached the writers block for this story but it doesn't make his actions more understandable/explainable.