I Shall Slay Immortals (ISSTH fanfic)

Comments

• Truly IMMORAL 
  • to be honest, i didn't have high expectations. but now after reading the first few chapters, i think i'm becoming addicted , it is a really good ff and I hope that there will be a lot more chapters to come :)................... that cliffhanger is killing me 
  • I'm pleasantly surprised at how good this is (sorry if it sounds offensive), i didn't have much expectations for this fanfic, but now this cliffhangers is hurting just as much as Er Gen's.
    Hahaha thank you very much for your work, Caladbolg and Deathblade.

P.s.: I wasn't very interested in reading the Tale of Vjaira, but now i'm seriously considering it hahaha great writing, Caladbolg :smiley: 
  • edited March 2016
    Chapter 7: Not Nearly Strong Enough

Having cut off Sheng Ren’s hand, Wu Bai was suddenly filled with the sensation that he could, in fact, defeat a Cultivator. Wasting no time, he quickly followed up with another slash with his newly acquired sword, not letting himself get distracted by the fragments of enlightenment that he had just gained.

He watched as the blade of his sword neared Sheng Ren’s stomach, but ultimately… it slashed nothing but air. He was too slow!

“You bastard!” Sheng Ren roared in pain, coming back to his senses. “I’m going to slaughter you!” he shouted at the top of his lungs, retreating and dodging subsequent slashes of Wu Bai’s twin swords.

Staying on the defensive and buying himself some time, Sheng Ren slapped his bag of holding and produced a medicinal pill, which he quickly tossed into his mouth. The gaping wound left in the place of his severed hand closed and stopped hurting. Sheng Ren, however, was aware that nothing else could be done. His hand would be lost forever, something as miraculous as regrowing it… was impossible. The Crow Divinity Tribe simply did not possess such resources. That awareness infuriated him to the point that he could think of nothing else except killing Wu Bai, despite the fact that he was the nephew of the Greatfather.

Having decided that he was going to take Wu Bai’s life in exchange for his lost hand, Sheng Ren rotated his Cultivation base and leaped backwards, putting more distance between himself and Wu Bai and preparing to unleash a magical technique.

“This is bad, I have to dodge it!” Wu Bai thought desperately, paying no attention to the yells and overall chaos that their sudden fight brought to the previously peaceful street.

“Do me a favor and die!” Sheng Ren yelled furiously, the spiritual energy in his body surged out, forming a green whirlwind around his left arm. He smiled devilishly, certain that Wu Bai was going to perish within scant seconds. He had purposely picked a magical technique that had a large area of effect. Although it wouldn’t be powerful enough to injure a Cultivator at his level… it would definitely be enough to turn the body of a mortal like Wu Bai into mincemeat.

With a thought, Sheng Ren unleashed his magical technique… but unexpectedly, just after he did, something unfathomable began happening within his body.

“What is…?! My spiritual energy?!” Sheng Ren panicked as his entire Cultivation base was thrown into turmoil. He had never before experienced anything like it; it felt almost as if the spiritual energy within his own body was trying to destroy him.

Frightened, Sheng Ren abandoned the technique he had just deployed and focused on suppressing the portions of his spiritual energy that were getting out of control. At the moment, he was thoroughly horrified by the prospect of dying because of the implosion of his own internal energy.

Roughly at the same time…

Wu Bai’s face fell as a ten meter wide cyclone shot through the air, threatening to kill him on the spot. Left with no other options, Wu Bai tried to defend himself with his twin swords, but both blades were knocked out of his hands by the sheer force of the green-colored wind.

“No, if something like that hits me…!” Wu Bai cried out in his mind, watching the cyclone of thick, green spiritual energy inexorably closing the last few of centimeters of distance before reaching his body.

By this point, Wu Bai was sure that he was doomed. However, it was at this exact moment that the magical technique was cut off by Sheng Ren. With no one controlling it, the huge cyclone exploded, most of its energy dispersing, but some of it continuing onwards… The remaining hundreds of strands of green spiritual energy acted like whips, slashing at everything that happened to be in their way.

Wu Bai, being in the very epicenter of the onslaught, felt his whole body being lashed with dozens of deep wounds. Some of the whip-like remnants of the magical technique were actually so powerful that they broke the bones in Wu Bai’s arms and legs; only by sheer luck had none of the dangerous strands hit any vital areas, thus making it possible for him to escape with his life.

“Still alive…” Wu Bai murmured with a weak smile as he fell to the ground. Despite his many wounds, he managed to stay in a sitting position, but the next moment, he trembled as the pain started kicking in. The worst thing, however, was feeling how his body was getting colder by the second blood drained out of him at a dangerously quick rate.

Raising his head painfully, Wu Bai saw Sheng Ren walking toward him, brimming with menacing killing intent. If he could, he wouldn’t mind yelling and calling for help… Of course he valued his life more highly than his pride… The problem was, he simply didn’t have enough strength left to speak anymore… He could only hope that someone would arrive and save him in time, given how big of a ruckus  Sheng Ren had made with his magical technique…

“Looks like you’re out of luck,” Sheng Ren said in a low voice, seeing how no one was rushing to stop him from killing Wu Bai. He had heard that some special event would be taking place today, so he wasn’t too surprised by the lack of interference from bystanders. After all, most of the Tribe’s Cultivators were probably outside the village.

But maybe… someone would interfere after all! It was in this moment that Sheng Ren suddenly noticed a mortal girl running towards them.

“If you want to kill him, you’ll have to kill me first!” Liang Nuan cried fearlessly, spreading her arms and shielding Wu Bai with her body. The moment Wu Bai heard her voice, he fought off the dizziness and opened his eyes. “Liang Nuan?” he thought absent-mindedly, not yet realizing what was about to happen.

“As you wish,” Sheng Ren said with a disdainful laugh and flicked his hand. Without any mercy, he attacked with enough strength to kill, sending Liang Nuan flying off to the side.

“No…” Wu Bai watched as Liang Nuan flew through the air, then smashed into the wall of a nearby building. "No...!“ She slid down to the ground, her body twisted in a very disturbing way. Slowly, the ground beneath her grew red with blood… “No!!!” Wu Bai was about to go mad, he wanted to do something, anything! To stand up, go there and save her…! She wasn’t moving at all…! She couldn’t be dead, she couldn’t!

However…

“Now it’s your turn.” 

After the cold hateful, words rang into Wu Bai’s ears, everything went dark…

---

“Wu Ai, stop this madness!” The High Priest called out nervously, trying to block Wu Ai from barging into his estate. “The witnesses said that it was Wu Bai who struck first, Sheng Ren is not to blame!” he tried to reason, scared that Wu Ai intended to end Sheng Ren’s life in retaliation.

“You won’t be the one offering the explanation this day. Sheng Ren will die today, and if you don’t move out of my way, I’ll kill you, too!” Wu Ai pushed out with the palm of his hand, employing the  power of his great circle Nascent Soul Cultivation base.

Although the High Priest was relatively powerful, his Cultivation base was merely at the early Nascent Soul stage. He staggered backwards and coughed up a mouthful of blood.

“Have you really gone mad, Wu Ai?! Are you going to split the Tribe because of some useless brat?!” the High Priest shouted as loud as he could, his voice reaching to the furthest ends of the village. He knew that if Wu Ai were to attack him with the intent to kill, he would perish in an instant. His only option was to bring more attention to the conflict and hope that it would be enough to make Wu Ai reconsider, or that the other Elders would come and save him.

However, even after the High Priest’s shout, Wu Ai’s expression didn’t change. He didn’t care at all how the Tribe and all the Elders would view his actions. Today, Sheng Ren would die, regardless of anything!

Yet, all of the sudden, Wu Ai looked at the direction of his home, then teleported away, just like that.

Seeing Wu Ai leave, although he didn’t understand what was going on at all, the High Priest breathed with relief.

“Madman…” he couldn’t help but moan quietly, hoping that Wu Ai wouldn’t return anytime soon.

---

“Liang Nuan, the girl I was with… What happened to her?” Wu Bai asked, forcing himself to sit quietly on the bed. He groaned quietly, feeling as if his head was about to split in two.

“What happened to Liang Nuan?” he repeated, hearing no answer. Ignoring the pain, he raised his head and looked his aunt in the eye.

Wu An hesitated as to whether she should tell Wu Bai what had happened to Liang Nuan. However, considering it was the first thing he wanted to know after waking up, she decided to not keep it a secret from him, even if the knowledge would cause him to feel an even greater pain…

“She’s still unconscious. We’re doing everything we can, but her chances are…” Wu An pursed her lips and shook her head. Considering the degree of Liang Nuan’s injuries, her chances of survival were less than one in ten thousand. There really wasn’t much that could be done for her.

“I… I see,” Wu Bai mumbled, lowering his head. “I want to go see her,” he said quietly, shaken to the core. Just thinking about how Liang Nuan had been wounded so badly that she was about to die, all because of his recklessness… because he tried to act like her guardian when he was too weak to even defend himself… 

There was no worse feeling. It was a feeling that most people would not even be able to imagine.

Wu Bai didn’t even know when, but he had started crying. He thought back to the moment when Liang Nuan stood before him, protecting him from Sheng Ren. Why did she do something like that? Why risk her life for somebody like him? For an idiot who wasn’t aware of his own limitations, and had put her in danger…?

“Delusions, it was all delusions,” Wu Bai told himself. In this moment, he realized that his dreams about becoming powerful, his fantasy of competing with Cultivators, all the effort he had put into training... weren’t worth a fart. He was weak, incredibly weak. What was worse, he was stupid. He was an unruly kid who couldn’t bring himself to accept reality. Now, he understood everything. Except... it was too late. The harm had already been done. He could now very well lose the only person who might have brought happiness to his life…

This realization immediately began to eat away at his heart. It even started to affect his mind. He couldn’t deal with it… It was too much, it was too painful. He regretted everything so much… Except… He couldn’t do anything… it was too late…

“Wu Bai…” Wu An began hesitatingly. She was aware that the conclave of Elders had commanded that Wu Bai be confined to the mansion. However, to refuse his request when he was in such a poor state… It would break her heart. She thought of her husband, but then, she started, having just heard an incredibly loud shout that shook the whole Tribe down to its foundations.

“Dear Heavens, Wu Ai! I’ve told him so many times to not do anything reckless!” Wu An quickly slapped her bag of holding to produce a jade slip which she pressed down on hard. She concentrated on Wu Ai’s presence and then said… “Stop causing trouble and come back here! Wu Bai woke up and we need you here, so hurry up!” she called out furiously, about to crush the jade slip in her hand.

After a moment, Wu Ai materialized in the room. The first thing he did was to ignore her and immediately focus on Wu Bai.

“How are you feeling?” he asked. Unfotrunately, Wu Bai was in no state to answer the question.

“As you can see, Wu Bai isn’t feeling good,” Wu An said sternly, giving her husband an angry look. “Do us a favor and bring him to that girl, Liang Nuan. If you use minor teleportation, no one will notice. But you might as well go openly. The whole matter couldn’t possibly be worse than what you just were just about to do, anyway,” she commented, venting some of her frustration.

“Uhh…” Wu Ai scratched his head. He had a few words to say in his defense, but decided to keep them to himself. If Wu An knew that Sheng Ren had called for some women to fool around with during his last three days of confinement, during which time Wu Bai had been struggling for his life, she would surely draw a sword and go castrate the bastard personally.

“Uncle. Bring me to Liang Nuan, please,” Wu Bai said weakly, bringing his uncle and aunt’s  attention back to the matter.

“Fine. First… can you stand?” Wu Ai said calmly, ready to lend his nephew a hand in case he needed it. He understood, however, that Wu Bai would have surely rather stand on his own two legs than be carried by him. Especially when he was going to the girl he very possibly hurt because of his own mistakes and his own… weakness.

“You’ve been unconscious for three days, your bones should be mostly mended, but it will still hurt to walk by yourself,” Wu Ai warned, watching Wu Bai getting out of the bed.

The moment he stood up, Wu Bai held his breath, his face turning pale. Yet, he bore the pain and looked at his uncle, urging him to hurry up.

“Fine,” Wu Ai said, grabbing Wu Bai by his shoulder and then executing a minor teleportation.

---

Moments later, the two of them entered the room where Liang Nuan was recovering.

“Liang Nuan...” Wu Bai whispered, looking at her face as she lay there on the bed, her eyes closed, her body hidden under soft, white sheets.

“She looks so weak,” he thought quietly, refusing to sit down on the nearby chair. Gritting his teeth through the pain, he leaned forward to look at her, seemingly punishing himself for his actions.

“It’s all because I attacked Shang Ren without thinking…” he murmured in a shaky voice, his body beginning to tremble. Finally, as the world before him started spinning, he was forced to give up and sit down.

“I really am worthless, aren’t I?” he said aloud, feeling guilty beyond imagination.

“Please, live,” he pleaded, very gently putting his hand on top Liang Nuan’s palm, scared that he might hurt her if he holds it too tightly. “If you were to die… I don’t know what I would to do…”

---

Outside the door, Wu Ai quietly observed his nephew. He wasn’t in a hurry, but after half an hour passed, he could tell that Wu Bai wasn’t planning to leave. Sighing silently, he left and headed to look for the chief of the clinic.

Approaching the desk at which an old, grey haired man was sitting, Wu Ai calmly ordered, “Let Wu Bai stay here as long as long as he wants.” 

He didn’t bother explaining what he meant. The old man clearly knew who Wu Bai was. In addition, the entire Tribe had been talking about the recent events. There was no on who wasn’t aware of what was going on.

“Yes, Greatfather.” The chief of the healers agreed very straightforwardly. Having personally witnessed Wu Bai praying for the girl’s life, he wouldn’t have had the heart to tell him leave, regardless of Wu Ai’s orders. If anything, an actual order from the Greatfather made it easier for him in case some unreasonable people came to pester him about allowing Wu Bai to stay in the clinic when technically, he was supposed to be confined.

Surprised that the man agreed so quickly, Wu Ai nodded.

“Heavens…” Wu Ai closed his eyes for a second, musing silently. “If that girl dies, please, don’t let it break Wu Bai…” he prayed, trying to shake off the ominous premonition that welled up from deep in his heart.

• onslaught, "gelt" his whole  
    I believe that should be felt yes?

The interactions between this Wu Ai and his wife xD
    Thanks for the chapter 
  • HSmo said:
    onslaught, "gelt" his whole  
    I believe that should be felt yes?

The interactions between this Wu Ai and his wife xD
    Thanks for the chapter 
    Fixed! Sorry, it's late on my work weekend and I'm totally out of it. 

Hope everyone is enjoying the story!

P.S. The "Bai" in Wu Bai's name comes from my own Chinese name. Well, I have more than one Chinese name, but one of them has the character "bai" in it. Therefore, I have a vested interest in Wu Bai!!!!!

Night everyone!
  • How many chapter do you expect ISSI to have ?
  • WAIT!
    If he cant cultivate any qi, then he cant use a bag of holding, right?
  • edited March 2016
    @Cosmicshade Yes. But it was only Sheng Ren who used bag of holding in this chapter. ^.^

@naturalbrah

Most likely, there will be around 25 chapters. Whether there will be sequels, it's up to Deathblade to decide. He did mention something along the lines of more chapters of ISSI in the future, though ^.^

If you'd like more chapters of ISSI or Tales send me a note on patreon!
  • edited March 2016
    Chapter 8: Fueled by Despair

“How did it go?” Wu An asked hurriedly, the very moment Wu Chen and Wu Ling returned.

“Not good. He barely ate anything,” Wu Ling said with a grave expression on her face. 

“He didn’t even want to talk with us,” Wu Chen added resignedly. “He only kept saying things like ‘yeah’ ‘mm’ ‘right.’ It was like he wasn’t listening to us at all,” he mentioned briefly, himself having gotten quite sullen after trying to talk Wu Bai up for over an hour; all for naught.

“Ah… I see. Sorry for making you go to him again. I know this isn’t the first time you’ve tried talking with him…” she apologized. She could see the toll these meetings were taking on Wu Chen and Wu Ling.

“Nah, that’s not it,” Wu Ling said with a weak smile. “We’re also worried about Wu Bai. Of course we’ll try to help.” She truly did feel that way, but also… she was getting somewhat tired of repeating the same thing over and over.

“If there’s something else we could do, we would,” Wu Chen stated strongly, forcing out a smile. “The thing is, nothing seems to be working…” he muttered, but was still heard by the other three.

Something else? 

The Wu family would have loved to know what to do to bring back the old Wu Bai. At this rate, he would surely fall ill sooner or later, not to mention how horribly thin and weak he had already become. With his dramatic shift in behavior… one would have trouble believing that the current him and the person from a few months ago were the same people.

“It’s already been two months,” Wu Ai shook his head, breaking the silence. His worst premonitions were beginning to come true. “That girl, Liang Nuan… Although she didn’t die, she isn’t waking up either; how long will her body hold up only on medicinal pills?” Wu Ai ended up musing aloud. “Call me heartless, but this situation is even worse than if she were to have died after a few days. Wu Bai… he can’t shake it off. At this rate, he will be bound by the ghosts of the past… forever.” The other three in the room listened on with gloomy expressions, feeling the same in their hearts.

“Talk about switching from one extreme to another,” Wu Ai sighed to himself, smiling helplessly. Overnight, Wu Bai had gone from being obsessed with training to the opposite extreme, filled with apathy and even displaying self-destructive tendencies … Wu Bai couldn’t have picked a worse way to change.

“It pains me to say it, but…” Wu An brought up hesitatingly, as if saying everyone’s thoughts aloud would make the reality more true than it already was. “There’s probably nothing we can do for Wu Bai. He doesn’t want our help,” she forced the words out, aware that someone needed to say them before the toxic situation began poisoning her own family.

Wu Chen and Wu Ling looked at her with unsightly looks on their faces, but said nothing. There was really nothing they could say. Denying the reality wouldn’t make it less true, they would only be lying to themselves.

“It’s all in Heaven’s hands,” Wu Ai concluded the subject, tired of the depressing mood. If Wu Bai refused to live… it was his choice. They had done everything in their power to support him, they weren’t obliged to destroy their own everyday lives only to mourn his fate.

---

“Liang Nuan… why, why aren’t you waking up?” Wu Bai asked quietly, his voice shaking terribly. He sat there in the dark room, holding Liang Nuan’s hand and waiting for her to come back to him. He had barely left her side at all for what seemed countless days. At first, he had rejoiced when the healers said that her injuries were not too severe, and that she she would recover. He already began thinking about talking with her, about apologizing to her… about thanking her. Yet, the Heavens refused to let her awaken.

Was it her fault? Wu Bai couldn’t bring himself to believe that. From what he knew, Liang Nuan had never done anything to accumulate bad Karma. There was one thought that constantly seemed to spring up in his mind… “Am I being punished? Do the Heavens know that nothing else could make me suffer as much as this?” Wu Bai had started asking himself questions like this two weeks ago. No matter how hard he thought about it, he saw only this one explanation.

He had been too arrogant. He had tried to defy the Heavens, defy his fate and become somebody he wasn’t destined to be. In the end, he picked a fight he shouldn’t have and caused an innocent girl to suffer harm, all for what? Face? If that didn’t count as bad Karma, then he didn’t know what did.

“You know, Liang Nuan… Recently, I’ve been getting really scared,” he began speaking to her, just like he usually would. “I’m scared that it’s because of me that you can’t wake up. That it’s my punishment.” His worries continued to pour out. On the one hand, he was trembling all over, on the other, he felt strangely tranquil.

“You know, I was thinking that… If my karma ended, maybe you would be freed from this hell,” he said, twinges of fear resounding in his voice. “I really am useless, aren’t I?” he asked, laughing at himself weakly, disdainfully. “I am too scared to even take my own life,” he said bitterly, clutching the hilt of one of the twin swords Liang Nuan had picked for him.

“I’ve been thinking about it… I really have. Maybe... since I’m too little of a man to save you myself, I should just go and die.” He chuckled nervously, and a touch of madness could be seen in his eyes.

“It won’t be hard, I’ll just borrow some of the meat they use to feed neo-demons and go the forest… The wild neo-demons will do all the dirty work,” he declared in a shaky voice, trying his best to sound happy.

“I only hope it won’t hurt too much…” He laughed out hoarsely, looking at Liang Nuan’s pale face. “If the severing of my Karma can save you… If my death can pay for my mistakes…” He mumbled, holding tightly onto Liang Nuan’s hand.

“I’ll be going now,” he said quietly, then after a few more seconds, he finally let go of Liang Nuan’s hand. He gave the twin swords a look, admiring the simple but graceful carvings of Celestial beasts on the scabbards. For a moment, he felt like taking the blades with him, but he quickly abandoned the idea. What was the point? They would only rust and crumble away next to his corpse.

Not hesitating anymore, he left the room, avoiding the few people who were still out and about in the evening.

---

On one particular day, she actually awakened. Or at least, it seemed she was awake. She actually couldn’t move at all, and could barely even feel her body. However, she was aware of one thing… Of the warm hands holding onto her. She had no way of knowing for sure, but she could swear these were Wu Bai’s hands.

The indistinct awareness of his presence was somehow making her happy. She could vaguely remember what had occured and why she was in her current state. She had never, for even a second, regretted what she did. If given a chance to choose again, she would have done the same thing. She only was sad… that she couldn’t talk with Wu Bai, that she couldn’t enjoy spending time with him. Oh, what she would give to be able to return to the living!

Every day, the soothing warmth would accompany her without fail, bringing her heart some so very needed calm. Liang Nuan was quite sure that had it not been for this warmth, and for the quiet words she could sometimes hear, she would have very likely gone crazy and eventually longed for death.

Considering how weak her body was becoming… Perhaps it was only the willpower that was keeping her alive…

Today, she could feel his warmth like she always did. Because he was there for her, she would not give up! She would fight her own battle, and win it - for his sake. For their sakes. However, this day was somewhat different than the others. She could tell that Wu Bai wasn’t the same, that something changed in him…

Suddenly, the words that before she could only vaguely make out… became very clear in her ears. She still couldn’t move a muscle, she couldn’t even open her eyes or open her lips… But she could hear, and the words frightened her. Wu Bai, he… wanted to kill himself, for her sake!

She had no idea why he came to such a conclusion, but she knew one thing. She needed to stop him! To save him! Her life belonged to her, not to some supposed Heavens. And the same applied to Wu Bai! Karma, fate… reaping and sowing… she didn’t care about any of those things. She struggled to move, to say something, to tell him that she was there, that she would wake up…! But she couldn’t do anything except passively listen to his words.

“No! Don’t go! Stay here!” she wanted to call out so badly when he let go off her hand. When he left, she wanted to chase after him… To make her useless body move once again!

She wouldn’t accept losing him in this way, she just wouldn’t! She gathered all the strength she had left, she mustered every bit of willpower she had…

Just a little bit, one of her fingers twitched.

---

“I wonder if I should go deeper into the forest?” Wu Bai muttered numbly. Now that he accepted his fate, he stopped shaking and no longer felt any doubts. The only thing that was left, was the silent resolution. He would die and in exchange, would plead the Heavens to let Liang Nuan live.

In this world, there was nothing to be gained without an equivalent exchange. One could only reap Karma after sowing it. He however, had never done the latter. It was only natural that if the Heavens were angry with him, then…

“But you know, you could have given me a little better latent talent. Then, there would be no reason for me to be so useless… I could have become strong and would have helped a lot of people…” Wu Bai thought silently. After all, how could he not bear some grudges against the Heavens?

He couldn’t help but think, deep in his heart, that none of this would have happened if the Heavens didn’t decide at some point in time to make a fool of him. To allow someone like him to be born into the Wu family, but give him no talent to cultivate whatsoever… what kind of terrible joke was that?

If the Heavens wanted to test him, then it was truly one horrible way to do so… or at least, that was what Wu Bai was thinking to himself.

“Can’t those neo-demons hurry up? It’s been so long already.” For some reason, he laughed. His whole life seemed like one big joke. Why him? Couldn’t it have been a bit easier? Simpler? Did the world really need to be against him on every step?

A few more minutes passed, and he finally saw some movement up ahead, accompanied by the low growl of some creature. He turned his head to look, then started laughing. “Normal wolves? not even neo-demons?” he asked aloud, shaking his head in resignation. “Fitting predators for a mortal like me, huh?” he murmured, leaning against the tree and moving his gaze to the starry sky, revealing his neck.

“Do it quickly… I don’t want to take too long to die,” he said to the wolves. The beasts didn’t respond. They simply closed in on him carefully, preparing to jump him all at one. Yet, suddenly, a loud howl caused the wolves to yelp in fear and then scatter. From the dark emerged a black-furred wolf, his body comparable in size to a big adult human.

“Neo-demon,” Wu Bai murmured, smiling widely. “Yeah, I’ll be much happier if a real neo-demon finished me off. At least I can be sure that it will happen quickly.”

He kept his eyes open, watching how the black-furred neo-demon approached him without fear. The beast seemed to possess an intelligent look in its eyes, unlike the previous pack of wolves. “So you understand? Come, come. Do it quickly.” Wu Bai called out in a bright voice, pointing at his neck with his finger. He was quite sure that the large jaws of the black wolf neo-demon would be enough to bite his head off in one go.

The black neo-demon walked up to him, then stopped so close that Wu Bai could feel its breath on his skin. The beast looked him in the eye, as if asking him a question. Are you sure?

“Just do it…” Wu Bai said, not even realizing that his voice was trembling, or maybe not wanting to realize.

The neo demon, however… Actually brushed against him with its nose, then turned around and left, slapping his face with its tail.

Flabbergasted, Wu Bai didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. He looked up into the sky and couldn’t help but yell desperately.

“What is it, what do you want me to do?!” he shouted. In response, howls could be heard from the distant reaches of the forest. “Just tell me, show me!” he called out again, about to break into tears. Even after he decided to die, the Heavens refused to help him. The beasts would turn their backs on him and tell him to live?! What was he supposed to do then? Was personally taking his own life the only option he had left?

“Wu Bai!” All of a sudden, a voice reached his ears. He started, finding it so unbelievable that he wondered if he might be hallucinating. Had he died already and didn’t realize it? Was the person in front of him a figment of his imagination? It was the familiar voice… of a girl!

Far off in the distance, barely visible within the shadows, was Liang Nuan!

She stood there weakly, leaning up against a tree. Despite the distance, Wu Bai could see her eyes clearly, and their gazes locked.

Complex emotions suddenly raged through Wu Bai’s head.

How could this be?

Was it real?

However, just when he was about to take a step forward, to run toward her and embrace her, another voice could be heard.

“Hah! I should have known! Even neo-demons can’t bring themselves to touch a piece of trash like you, let alone kill you.” It was a male voice that Wu Bai knew all too well.

Wu Bai could do nothing but watch on, horrified, as a hand slashed out from within the darkness to chop at Liang Nuan’s neck. 

She instantly collapsed. Before she could land on the ground, Sheng Ren reached out and scooped her up in his arm.

“Well, no harm done,” he said, stepping completely out of the shadows. He sneered at Wu Bai. “Thanks to those stupid beasts, I can kill both of you myself.” His devilish laughter rang out into the dark forest.

Sheng Ren slung Liang Nuan over his shoulder and slowly walked toward Wu Bai… Although Wu Bai’s gaze seemed glued to Liang Nuan, there was something else he noticed that was completely horrifying.

Wu Bai gasped when he saw that Sheng Ren’s right arm was completely covered in bloody bandages, from which leaked strange, stinking liquids…

Sheng Ren’s whole arm was actually rotting away!

• He was quite sure that the large jaws of the black wolf neo-demon would be enough to bit hit head off in one go.

bite his

Great chapter as always team!
  • We were both pretty tired when doing this chapt yesterday slash today (timezones), ehehe... Glad that you are enjoying!
  • That cliffhanger was really evil! :|  You have made Sheng Ren into such a wicked person that I really wish for his death. He is like a thorn in the flesh!
  • Oh man, shouldn't that bastard be at home fooling with some women, why must he destroy their reunion. Hopefully wu bai will trash him. 
    Anyway, thx for the chapter :) 
  • "However…

“Now it’s your turn.” 

After the cold hateful, words rang into Wu Bai’s ears, everything went dark…"

Is no one gonna address the elephant in the room? I mean what the hell... Sheng Ren was on the point of killing him, and then... nothing happens? And there's no explanation on what happened? He just magically appeared in his bed at home next to a Wu An?
  • edited March 2016
    Fixes:
    Chapter 1:
    01. wondering what have the two scoundrels had done this time. ---> "wondering what the two scoundrels had done this time."
    02. Also i keep seeing comma right before the quotation mark ends: ,"  the comma should be outside the quotation mark: ", or should just use dot inside the quotation mark: ."
    You should use the replace function to replace the ," into ", or ." in order to fix this fast. I personally would use dot, because those are closed sentences when spoken. So if you use dot, then you should put inside the quotation mark: ."
    03. "Wu Chen gulped down the rest of his juice in and one go an slammed" ---> "Wu Chen gulped down the rest of his juice in one go and slammed"
    04. "Let’s go, we’re gonaa train" ---> "Let’s go, we’re gonna train"
    05. “Today, we will settle it once and for good, Tong Rong!” ---> “Today, we will settle it once and for all, Tong Rong!”
    06. "his voice echoing throughout the Trible." ---> "his voice echoing throughout the Tribe."
    07. "Thousands of Tribe members began raising" ---> Why is the word "tribe" with capital letter everywhere, considering it's not next to the words crow divine "Crow Divine Tribe", it should be without capital letter since it's not a name.
    08. "The flames exploded, lilting up into the night" ---> "The flames exploded, lifting up into the night"

Chapter 8:
    01. "Or at least, she was pretty sure that she woke up." ---> "Or at least, she was pretty sure that she was awake."
    02. "However, she was aware of one things…" ---> "However, she was aware of one thing…"
    03. "and why was she in her current state." ---> "and why she was in her current state."
    04. "On, what she would give" ---> "Oh, what she would give"
    05. "gone crazy would have eventually" ----> "gone crazy and would have eventually"
    06. "idea why he came to such conclusion, " ----> "idea why he came to such a conclusion, "
    07. "exchange, would plead the Heavens to let" ----> "exchange, would plead to the Heavens to let"
    08. "He however, had never done the later." ---> "He however, had never done the latter."
    09. "It was only natural that if the Heavens were angry with him…" ---> Something sounds weird here... I don't really understand the meaning of this sentence, maybe should rephrase it?
    10. "would have happened if the Heaven’s didn’t" ---> "would have happened if the Heavens didn’t"
    11. "would be enough to bit hit head off in one go." ---> "would be enough to bite his head off in one go."
    12. "to do?!” He shouted." ---> he without capital letter: "to do?!” he shouted."
    13. "What was he supposed to do, then?" ---> no comma next to do: "What was he supposed to do then?"
    14. "All of the sudden, a voice" ---> "All of a sudden, a voice"

I already read chapters 1-7 already, and I'm a bit lazy and out of time atm to continue to re-read  ch 2-7. So i'll do only ch 1 and ch 8 today...
  • Pixyfell said:
    Fixes:
    Chapter 1:
    01. wondering what have the two scoundrels had done this time. ---> "wondering what the two scoundrels had done this time."
    02. Also i keep seeing comma right before the quotation mark ends: ,"  the comma should be outside the quotation mark: ", or should just use dot inside the quotation mark: ."
    You should use the replace function to replace the ," into ", or ." in order to fix this fast. I personally would use dot, because those are closed sentences when spoken. So if you use dot, then you should put inside the quotation mark: ."
    03. "Wu Chen gulped down the rest of his juice in and one go an slammed" ---> "Wu Chen gulped down the rest of his juice in one go and slammed"
    04. "Let’s go, we’re gonaa train" ---> "Let’s go, we’re gonna train"
    05. “Today, we will settle it once and for good, Tong Rong!” ---> “Today, we will settle it once and for all, Tong Rong!”
    06. "his voice echoing throughout the Trible." ---> "his voice echoing throughout the Tribe."
    07. "Thousands of Tribe members began raising" ---> Why is the word "tribe" with capital letter everywhere, considering it's not next to the words crow divine "Crow Divine Tribe", it should be without capital letter since it's not a name.
    08. "The flames exploded, lilting up into the night" ---> "The flames exploded, lifting up into the night"

Chapter 8:
    01. "Or at least, she was pretty sure that she woke up." ---> "Or at least, she was pretty sure that she was awake."
    02. "However, she was aware of one things…" ---> "However, she was aware of one thing…"
    03. "and why was she in her current state." ---> "and why she was in her current state."
    04. "On, what she would give" ---> "Oh, what she would give"
    05. "gone crazy would have eventually" ----> "gone crazy and would have eventually"
    06. "idea why he came to such conclusion, " ----> "idea why he came to such a conclusion, "
    07. "exchange, would plead the Heavens to let" ----> "exchange, would plead to the Heavens to let"
    08. "He however, had never done the later." ---> "He however, had never done the latter."
    09. "It was only natural that if the Heavens were angry with him…" ---> Something sounds weird here... I don't really understand the meaning of this sentence, maybe should rephrase it?
    10. "would have happened if the Heaven’s didn’t" ---> "would have happened if the Heavens didn’t"
    11. "would be enough to bit hit head off in one go." ---> "would be enough to bite his head off in one go."
    12. "to do?!” He shouted." ---> he without capital letter: "to do?!” he shouted."
    13. "What was he supposed to do, then?" ---> no comma next to do: "What was he supposed to do then?"
    14. "All of the sudden, a voice" ---> "All of a sudden, a voice"

I already read chapters 1-7 already, and I'm a bit lazy and out of time atm to continue to re-read  ch 2-7. So i'll do only ch 1 and ch 8 today...
    And those don't count the ones you didn't find. Now you see why I have proofreaders for ISSTH. Thanks and I'll make the fixes soon (ish).
  • Now imagine what hell would it have been if it were only me writing this xD Working with Deathblade makes me realize how much I have yet to learn about writing and just how much I need to improve~

^.^
  • Guys do not put yourselves down, although there are some small errors, the writing and everything is among the best ones i've seen so far. I just wanted to help out a little since i love ISSTH so much.
    Anyway I'm really curious, about my previous post, was that a plot-hole? Or something deliberate?
    ----->
    "However…

“Now it’s your turn.” 

Is no one gonna address the elephant in the room? I mean what the hell... Sheng Ren was on the point of killing him, and then... nothing happens? And there's no explanation on what happened? He just magically appeared in his bed at home next to a Wu An?

• Pixyfell said:
    Guys do not put yourselves down, although there are some small errors, the writing and everything is among the best ones i've seen so far. I just wanted to help out a little since i love ISSTH so much.
    Anyway I'm really curious, about my previous post, was that a plot-hole? Or something deliberate?
    ----->
    "However…

“Now it’s your turn.” 

Not a plot-hole, just not really clearly explained in the released chapters so far. It should be made more clear in the next release. Or you can PM Caladbolog for a detailed explanation haha.
  • edited March 2016
    Chapter 9: Together, For All Eternity

“Sheng Ren, you’re… you’re dying, aren’t you?” Wu Bai said, subconsciously realizing that the only option he had left was to somehow trick Sheng Ren into letting Liang Nuan go. One thing was sure - fighting Sheng Ren would only lead to his and Liang Nuan’s deaths. It wouldn’t be like the day they fought in the middle of the village, where bystanders would interfere in the last second to save his life.

This time, he truly was alone! Whether he lived or died; it was all up to him! Relying on some lucky coincidence like his uncle looking for him with his Spiritual Sense… was as good as throwing himself into the embrace of death.

“How observant of you…”  Sheng Ren smirked disdainfully. He tried to wipe the cold sweat off his face, but the moment he raised his right arm, his expression turned unsightly. For a second, he became painfully aware of how cold he felt; his body was burning up, being devoured from inside by disease. At most, he had a few days left to live. Frowning, he slipped Liang Nuan off of his shoulder, allowing her to flop down onto the ground. Then he wiped his face with the sleeve of his shirt and looked back at Wu Bai.

Seeing Liang Nuan being thrown to the ground caused Wu Bai’s face to twitch. He pursed his lips and clenched his teeth, a silent fury raising within his heart. Given how fragile Liang Nuan’s body must have become after two months she spent in coma, even a simple fall like this could be very dangerous to her. Yet, Wu Bai didn’t say anything. He couldn’t say anything if he wanted to somehow open up a way for the two of them to escape this peril.

“Now that you’re both at my mercy, should we have some fun?” Sheng Ren laughed devilishly, then looked down at Liang Nuan. “What do you say, should we start by cutting her hands off,” he chuckled, then looked back at Wu Bai, “or do you have something else in mind?” He clearly took pleasure in seeing the look of despair on Wu Bai’s face. Almost mechanically, Sheng Ren slapped his bag of holding and produced a medicinal pill, then swallowed it.

At the moment, Sheng Ren was greatly pleased with himself. However… he didn’t notice a subtle change in Wu Bai’s expression, which the thirteen year old quickly concealed.

“If you want to hurt anyone, hurt me. Leave Liang Nuan out of it!” Wu Bai suddenly changed his approach and stood up to Sheng Ren. The scared and obedient version of himself from a moment ago was completely gone.

The change in Wu Bai’s attitude at first threw Sheng Ren off, but then it quickly caused anger to swell up within him. He wanted Wu Bai to be scared, to despair, to beg for his life! Not to act strongly and talk back to him!

“I was trying to be nice…” Sheng Ren said ominously, eyeing Wu Bai with a hateful gaze. “But since you don’t seem to understand your position…” he continued saying as he took a step forward, then slapped his bag of holding once more to produce a wickedly curved dagger. “You want this girl to live, right? Take this and cut her hands off. If you don’t, I’ll crush her head into smithereens.” He tossed the dagger over to Wu Bai, clearly not concerned about the possibility of Wu Bai attacking him with it; unless he was taken by surprise, there was no way a mortal like Wu Bai would be able to wound him.

Wu Bai trembled a little, but not because of Sheng Ren’s words. He took the dagger, trying to think of a way to enrage Sheng Ren, but to not get killed by him instantly…

He smirked a little, raising the dagger to his neck. “And how about no?” he asked with a smile, focusing to keep his gaze on Sheng Ren’s face and not allowing it to wander. “You want to torment me, don’t you?” he asked, his voice shaking from nervousness. However, the moment Sheng Ren’s expression turned unsightly, Wu Bai knew he had chosen the right way to go about it. Sheng Ren cared little for Liang Nuan; the person he was obsessed with was Wu Bai!

“You little twerp, don’t even think about it!” Sheng Ren warned, taking half a step forward and raising his hand… but stopping when Wu Bai pushed the tip of the dagger into to his neck a bit, causing a few drops of blood to begin to dribble down his neck. “If you kill yourself, I swear I’m going to give this girl the worst death possible!” Calling out the first threat that came to mind, Sheng Ren actually started breathing raggedly and trembling. His emotional state was far from being stable, he was also not feeling well by any degree of imagination. Normally, he might not have been shaken by Wu Bai’s bluff, but in his current state, he couldn’t tell what was true and what was false.

Wu Bai laughed out nervously. “You will do what? When I’m dead, do you think I will care?” he asked, taking a conspicuous step back.

“You…! You…! You wouldn’t dare!” Sheng Ren could only call out vaguely, his mind in a state of complete chaos. Without thinking about it, he began to follow Wu Bai, taking one step forward, then another. Soon, Sheng Ren completely lost sight of Liang Nuan’s body…

“You really are as stupid as ever. First, you let me cut your hand off and couldn’t even kill me afterwards. This time, you give me a dagger. I have thank to you, it was useful…” Wu Bai spoke loudly, making barely any breaks between his words and sentences. Had he been in the right state of mind, Sheng Ren would have noticed that something was very wrong… He would have heard…

That a blade was being slowly unsheathed from its scabbard behind him!

“Wu Bai, you… no, you will die by MY hand!” Sheng Ren lost control. He gathered the spiritual energy in his body, causing his weakened Cultivation base to slowly begin to rotate.  Strands of green energy appeared and began to form around his left hand. He clenched his hand into a fist, intending to kill Wu Bai before he could deny him his revenge...! However, it was in this critical moment that his body suddenly shook. His pain had been dulled by the medicinal pills, so he felt no pain, only a strange coldness. Sheng Ren frowned and looked down, only to see… the tip of a blade sticking out of his stomach, slowly dripping with blood.

“Huh…?” Sheng Ren thought absentmindedly, unable to comprehend what just happened. He turned his head around, a thin line of blood flowing from the corner of his mouth. “Where did you…” he wanted to ask, but at the exactly same instant, a dagger stabbed into his neck.

“Wu… Bai…” Sheng Ren growled, staggering to the side. With his last bit of strength, he raised his hand and pointed it at Wu Bai’s body. No matter what, he would at least take Wu Bai with him! With his last breath, he employed a magical technique, sure that at this distance, Wu Bai will be unable to dodge. An array of tiny, rapidly spinning vortexes appeared around his hand, radiating power that could clearly rip Wu Bai into shreds.

Sheng Ren’s eyes went wide when he saw that Wu Bai was smiling… At the very same moment, all the spiritual energy in his body went wild as it escaped from his weak control. It rampaged, devastating his internal organs and shattering his Cultivation base. As the magical technique collapsed, so did Sheng Ren. His lifeless corpse fell face first onto the dark, forest floor.

Just like that… Sheng Ren died. There was no heroic fight, no miracles, only the willpower of a girl who refused to let go of the scabbard of Wu Bai’s sword which she took with herself, even after she had been rendered unconscious. She had been in a coma for weeks, then had been violently knocked out. However, when she suddenly opened her eyes to see Sheng Ren advancing on Wu Bai, she hadn’t hesitated for even a moment.

“Liang Nuan!” Wu Bai fell to his knees next to her, panting heavily. She looked weak, as if she might faint at any moment, but she was smiling.

“Wu Bai… Finally, finally I can talk with you… Finally, I can see you…” Now that Sheng Ren was dead, Liang Nuan’s calmness was falling apart. Ignoring the pain she felt, she shifted to the side to rest her body against Wu Bai. She started a little when Wu Bai hugged her, but then quickly relaxed. “So warm…” she whispered into his ear, wishing that she could stay in this same position forever.

“You know…” she said quietly, after a moment of silence. “I knew you were by my side all this time. I heard you talking to me… I could feel it when you held my hand…” She snuggled closer to Wu Bai, feeling how his body started trembling.

“Liang Nuan… why?” Wu Bai asked in a breaking voice. He moved away and gently held Liang Nuan by her shoulders. Looking her in the eye, he spoke out the worry that had been eating away at his heart. “Why are you willing to go so far for somebody like me? Why don’t you hate me, resent me? So many horrible things happened to you, all because of me… yet you…” he kept asking, not knowing why she would go so far for his sake.

“You really are a doofus, even after everything that happened.” Liang Nuan smiled, caressing Wu Bai’s cheek with her fingers. “I love you, that’s why. There’s no logical reason… I just love you,” she said quietly, looking down for a bit, but then raising her gaze again. “And you, do you love me?” she asked, caring little for whether it was and appropriate place or time for love confessions.

Wu Bai opened his mouth, but then closed it and shook his head. He loved Liang Nuan, loved her so much… and yet, he couldn’t forgive himself. “I made you suffer so much… I’m weak, useless… I can’t protect you at all… How can somebody like me deserve to be with you?” he asked for the second time, unable to accept that everything he had done could be forgiven just because of love.

“You made me suffer?” Laing Nuan raised her eyebrows. She seemed to know what Wu Bai was thinking. “You’re forgetting something, doofus,” she said with a meaningful, charming smile.

“It was my decision to stick with you, no matter what. Do you really think I’m such a stupid girl that I wouldn’t know how dangerous it was?” Saying so, Liang Nuan leaned towards Wu Bai. She stopped, her face almost touching his. She could feel his breath on her nose as she closed her eyes. At first, she was unsure of how to put her feelings into words, so she said nothing. A long moment passed.

“You know… I want to be with you,” she said calmly. She gently brushed her lips against his, then suddenly pulled back, her eyes wide. “I want to be with you, not with anyone else. I know who you are and I want you, do you understand?” she tried to explain, knowing how stubborn Wu Bai could be when he got an idea stuck in his head.

“I... I want to be with you… But, is it really fine for me to forgive myself? Can somebody so useless really…” Wu Bai kept repeating the same thing, incapable of coming to terms with his own person, with his own actions…

“Heavens, how many times are you going to make me repeat myself?” Liang Nuan said with a helpless look on her face. Tired of trying to get through to Wu Bai with words, she grabbed his head with both of her hands and made him look at her, then right afterwards, placed a warm kiss on his lips.

Wu Bai gasped, his mind going totally blank. At first, he was too shocked to even move, but steadily, he began relaxing. He stopped thinking about it, but subconsciously, he came to accept himself, in his heart, promising to never put Liang Nuan in danger ever again.

It took a moment, but he returned the kiss and wrapped his arms around her. Time seemed to stop moving and speed up at the same time. He wasn’t sure how much time went by before they separated.

“Made your decision?” Liang Nuan smiled happily, joining her hands with his. “Then, tell me,” she urged, seeing him answer with a nod.

“I love you,” Wu Bai said confidently, his expression having changed so much that one might think he had become a different person. “I want to be with you,” he repeated Liang Nuan’s own words, feeling unbelievably light at heart. “I promise to treasure you, so please, will you be mine?” he even asked, startling Liang Nuan by his change in attitude.

“Do I really need to answer?” Liang Nuan chuckled a little. She really wanted to kiss Wu Bai again, but she honestly couldn’t muster any more strength from her body.

The warm mood between the two of them was suddenly disrupted by the howl of a neo-demon, which was then accompanied by dozens of subsequent cries of normal wolves. “We must get out of here, quickly,” Wu Bai stated the obvious, cursing silently.

“Help me stand up,” Liang Nuan replied quickly, knowing that Wu Bai would probably be worrying about being unable to carry her, instead of hurrying to get out of here as fast as possible.

As the two of them managed to stand up, yet another howl reached their ears. This was not the howl of a wolf, but rather, some different kind of a creature.

“Take your sword,” Liang Nuan urged, aware that they wouldn’t be able to flee so easily. Perhaps if the neo-demons focused on Sheng Ren’s corpse, they would have a chance, but otherwise…

“Wu Bai?” she asked, seeing that Wu Bai wasn’t doing anything. She noticed his shocked expression and followed his gaze, only to see a large black wolf approaching them slowly.

“No, it can’t end like this!” she thought desperately, looking for a way to fend off the beast. However, what she saw happening next left her speechless.

The neo-demon didn’t attack. It lowered its head, as if saying that they didn’t need to fear it. It walked up to them and laid on the ground, showing them his side.

“You again.” Wu Bai shook his head. The neo-demon that spared his life was now coming to save him. Weren’t neo-demons supposed to be beasts that, unless tamed, innately hated humans?

The black wolf growled as the sounds of battle emerged from nearby along with howls of dozens of wolves and the roars of a neo-demon that began slaughtering them.

“Come on, there’s no time to hesitate.” Wu Bai pulled Liang Nuan along and sat on the back of the black wolf. Holding her in his arms, he leaned forward and tightened his legs, readying himself for the reckless ride on a neo-demon.

The black wolf stood up and carefully, started speeding up. It showed surprising amount of intelligence, making sure that Wu Bai and Liang Nuan wouldn’t fall from his back.

During the few minutes that passed during the long ride, Wu Bai and Liang Nuan were worried that the neo-demon they heard roaring would come chasing after them, but no such thing happened. Very likely, the beast was satisfied with Sheng Ren’s corpse and couldn’t be bothered to put effort to go after them.

The two of them were so tired that they began dozing off on the black wolf’s back. Before they realized it, they had left the forest and came to the outskirts of the village.

They woke up from their reverie when the black wolf laid down on the ground. They quickly stood up and moved to the side.

The black wolf eyed Wu Bai, then made a strange move with his head and ran back into the forest. For some reason, it made Wu Bai feel as if the wolf was telling him that he had repaid some sort of debt.

“We’re back…” The two of them looked at each other, thinking about the same thing. Hand in hand, they strolled back toward the village, not straining their bodies anymore.

• Hey everyone, please note that the chapters have not really been proofread. Caladbolg and I are focusing a lot on speed, which means there are probably a lot of little mistakes. Please feel free to point them out. I will go back to make changes as soon as I can. I'm behind today on my ISSTH translation, so I need to focus on that before going back to fix the ISSI typos! Thanks and hope everyone is enjoying the story!
  • thx for this awesome chapter, i really love ISSTH and to have another story in its world which in addition is so well written is truly making me happy ;) I'm looking forward to the next chapter . 
  • Im wondering if thats one of Haowies wolfies now. and dont mind the mistakes DB we all human. Thanks for all the effort guys!
  • Chapter 9:
    01. "cold sweat off his face" ---> 2 possiblities "cold sweat off of his face" or "cold sweat on his face"
    02. "the ground. Then wiped his face with the sleeve " ---> 2 possibilities: "the ground. He then wiped his face with the sleeve"  or "the ground. Then he wiped his face with the sleeve "
    03. "cutting her hands off,” he" ---> "cutting her hands off”, he"
    04. "The change if Wu Bai’s attitude" ---> "The change in Wu Bai’s attitude"
    05. "cause a few drops of blood" ---> "causing a few drops of blood"
    06. "he might have not been shaken" ---> "he might not have been shaken"
    07. "I have thank you, it was useful…”" ---> "I have to thank you, it was useful…”" <---- also I do not understand that last part, it was useful?, what was useful, him being stupid or the dagger was useful? Because if you're talking about the dagger it shouldn't be in the past tense it should be in the present "I have to thank you, this dagger is very useful..." or "I have to thank you, you have been very useful..."
    08. "Strands of green of energy" ---> "Strands of green energy"
    09. "appeared and began form around " ---> "appeared and began to form around "
    10. "the tip a blade sticking" ---> "the tip of a blade sticking"
    11. "With the last breath, he" ---> "With his last breath, he"
    12. "weeks, then violently knocked out. However, " ---> "weeks and then she had been violently knocked out, however, "
    13. "to see Sheng Ren advancing on Wu Bai" ---> "to see Sheng Ren advancing towards Wu Bai"
    14. "she hadn’t hestiated" ---> "she hadn’t hesitated"
    15. "this same position that forever." ---> "this same position forever."
    16. "knowing why would she go" ---> "knowing why she would go"
    17. "carling little for whether it" ---> "caring little for whether it"
    18. "whether it was appropriate place" ---> "whether this was an appropriate place"
    19. "that everything had done" ---> "that everything he had done"
    20. "with you,” she" ---> "with you.” she"
    21. "when he beat something" ---> sounds weird using beat "when he got something"
    22. "that one could think he became" ---> "that one would think he became"
    23. "be with you,” he" ---> "be with you.” he"
    24. "here, quickly,” Wu Bai" ---> "here, quickly.” Wu Bai"
    25. "stand up.” Liang"
    26. "tamed, innately hated humans?" ---> "tamed, would innately hate humans?"
    27. "growled as the sounds of battle" ---> "growled as sounds of battle"
    28. "howls of dozen of wolves" ---> 2 versions: you're talking about a dozen wolves or multiple dozens of wolves "howls of a dozen wolves" or "howls of dozens of wolves"
    29. "wolves and roars of a neo-demon" ---> "wolves and the roars of a neo-demon"
  • It's embarassing as heck, but thank you a lot for pointing these out! :D
  • Pixyfell said:
    the comma should be outside the quotation mark: ", or should just use dot inside the quotation mark: ."
    I'm American, so I follow the American convention for quotation marks, not the British way.

Pixyfell said:
    Why is the word "tribe" with capital letter everywhere, considering it's not next to the words crow divine "Crow Divine Tribe", it should be without capital letter since it's not a name.
    For better or worse, it's a convention I started early in ISSTH with Sect and Clan. 
  • edited March 2016
    Chapter 10: The One Blessed by Heavens

“A neo-demon saved you?” Wu Ai couldn’t hide his surprise. The whole story Wu Bai just told him was borderline unbelievable. However, for a neo-demon to save a mortal out of his own violation… that was completely unheard of! Had Wu Ai not known his nephew better, he might have suspected that he was… maybe not lying to him, but surely exaggerating some things for whatever the reason.

“Yeah, a wolf-type neo-demon. His fur was all black, it was also kind of spiky. I’d say that he was a level one neo-demon probably. He seemed to be pretty young.” Wu Bai replied in a soft voice, careful to not wake up Liang Nuan, who was still sleeping in the bed on the other side of the room.

“A black wolf?” 

Wu Ai flinched a little when Wu Bai sent him a somewhat scornful gaze, quite clearly telling him to keep his voice down. “This kid, my my…” Wu Ai thought helplessly. Judging by Wu Bai’s attitude, the youth had seemingly reversed overnight to his old self from all those years ago when he was still a normal, happy child. Seeing how much Wu Bai had changed, Wu Ai was overjoyed.

Without thinking about it too much, Wu Ai patted his nephew’s head. He chuckled a little as a troubled look appeared on Wu Bai’s face. Surprisingly, the youth didn’t protest or retreat; after he removed his hand, Wu Bai only gave him a light smile.

“Do you remember the eye color of this wolf?” Wu Ai asked, returning to the subject at hand. He had a certain hunch, but still wasn’t completely sure about it.

“Yeah. They were black with some red mixed. Pretty strange, I have to say,” Wu Bai replied with an absent gaze, recalling how the black wolf locked its gaze with his own. “It was really unexpected, first to be spared by him and then even helped... After he led me and Liang Nuan out of the forest, he looked at me and I kind of felt like he wanted to say ‘we’re even now,’ or something like that…?” Wu Bai mused aloud, causing his uncle to stare at him with his eyes wide open. Spared Wu Bai’s life? What was this about? Shouldn’t Wu Bai have mentioned it a bit earlier in his story?

“I think I know the wolf you’re talking about,” Wu Ai said with a helpless laugh, leaving the details for later. “If I’m right, then this was one amazing coincidence…” Wu Ai’s words, aroused Wu Bai’s curiosity. He laughed a little, seeing an expression on Wu Bai’s face which hadn’t appeared for months, perhaps even years.

“Uncle, what’s so funny?” Wu Bai finally asked, feeling a little bit awkward to see Wu Ai looking at him, chuckling and laughing.

“Oh, it’s nothing. I’m just happy you’re back to your old self,” Wu Ai said with an honest smile. He raised his eyebrows, seeing that Wu Bai was troubled and a bit embarrassed by his remark.

“So... about that black wolf…?” Wu Bai reminded, trying to change the subject. He wasn’t quite yet ready to be telling people about his change of mood. In truth, he hadn’t completely come to terms with his own feelings yet and needed some time to get used them. Even if the person he was speaking to was his uncle, he still didn’t want to be sharing such private thoughts. At the very least, not yet.

“Yeah, the wolf.” Wu Ai nodded, getting back to the point. “I can’t be sure if it’s the same wolf… but, three years ago, when I went on a stroll through the forest, on a whim, I saved a female neo-demon wolf that was being attacked by a bunch of stronger beasts.” Wu Ai smiled very meaningfully, wondering if all the times he had prayed to the Heavens had amounted to something and in the end, resulting in Wu Bai’s meeting with that young neo-demon…

“I remember that the female neo-demon had a little pup… The pup had black, spiky fur, just like you described, and very peculiar eyes. I remember it so well because it actually ran up to me and started sniffing me and rubbing against my leg. I found it quite amusing. I wanted to take it with me... but the mother wasn’t too happy about the idea, so I gave up and let the puppy be.”  As he was telling the story, Wu Ai noticed the look of understanding appearing in his nephew’s eyes. His own smile grew a bit wider as he concluded his theory. “You know where this is going to, right? The puppy from that time… is the neo-demon who saved you yesterday,” he stated simply.

“Whoa…” Wu Bai leaned back in his armchair. “An amazing coincidence like that… can it really happen?” he couldn’t help but ask, shocked by the perspective. Sure, he found it strange that the black wolf didn’t kill him and then rushed to help him and Liang Nuan… but to think it was actually repaying an old debt?

“Sometimes, they do,” Wu Ai stated calmly. “With some actions, you sow good Karma. Later, when you least expect it, the random good deed can come back to your aid when you need it the most, allowing you to reap the Karma you sowed.” Wu Ai brought up a very well known truth, that many people seemed to forget about.

Wu Bai took a deep breath. When he thought about what would have happened had his uncle’s Karma not been joined with his, he felt a chill run down his spine. How many times had Wu Ai saved him, directly or indirectly? Would he ever be able to repay this debt of gratitude in this life? He doubted it, but a strong determination to become useful to their Wu family surfaced within his heart. He no longer thought that he could achieve it by pursuing the power he had no hope of ever obtaining. However, he was fine with that now. He would find other means to sow seeds of good Karma and make his life meaningful. Perhaps, he would be forgotten in a hundred years, but the Karma he passed on would continue living in this world.

“Uncle… Thank you for everything you did for me. Without you, without aunty, without Wu Chen and Wu Ling…” he finished with a weak smile, not even wanting to think what sad fate would have awaited him if it weren’t for his family, if it weren’t for the people who were always there to support him. “Ai, I’m becoming such a crybaby lately,” he chuckled with a smile. At some point, some tears had appeared on his cheeks. He quickly wiped them away. It was hard to describe how joyous and blessed he felt during that moment.

“You’re my family. It’s only natural to help each other in need.” Wu Ai smiled warmly. It wasn’t only Wu Bai who was elated with the way the complex events of the past seven years had turned out. Wu Ai, too, was incredibly happy for his nephew. To hear honest thanks from Wu Bai after all the efforts he had put into helping him, after all the doubts he had felt as to whether or not he was doing the right thing… it was a source of great happiness for Wu Ai.

Even as the both of them felt their throats tightening becuase of the strong emotions, suddenly, the gurgling growl of a hungry stomach resounded within the room. They simultaneously turned to look in in Liang Nuan’s direction, surprised and amused looks appearing on their faces.

“Uhhh, sorry to disturb you,” Liang Nuan said, looking to be a bit at a loss as she pulled the sheets up to hide the blush on her face.

Wu Ai and Wu Bai exchanged a glance, then almost at the same time, burst out laughing. “I guess it’s about time for breakfast, huh?” Wu Ai mentioned merrily.

“You two need to gain some weight, you’re as thin as skeletons,” he continued, standing up and preparing to leave. “I’m sure my wife will enjoy fattening you up, but be careful to not end up overweight, okay?” he said half-seriously, then actually employed minor teleportation in his effort to get them food as quickly as possible.

---

In the blink of an eye, three months passed.

Today, at the dawn, Wu Bai went to stroll around the outer parts of the forest. After three months, he made a full recovery and was feeling better than ever, both physically and mentally. He continued to train in the Immortal Slaying manual, just like ever, but no longer spent the entire day doing only that.

He came to enjoy simple jobs, like helping with the young neo-demons of the Tribe or doing some part-time work in the certain weapon shop… however, above all, he liked doing the management related jobs that his uncle sometimes assigned me. He mostly did things like delivering messages or confirming the number of resources of the Tribe, be it Spirit Stones, food, weapons, medicinal pills, and the like… So far, his tasks had little to do with true ‘management’ and only sometimes would he need to discuss anything with anyone or solve minor disputes between two parties. He understood that considering he had very little, if any, prestige in the Tribe, he couldn’t very well begin managing anything important.

Perhaps, being a mortal, he would never get to do truly important jobs for the Tribe… However, he was fine with that. After all, he had Liang Nuan. In the near future, after the two of them grew a little older, they would get married… and maybe have their own children…

Wu Bai coughed, embarrassed by his own thoughts. Sometimes, his imagination tended to run a bit wild, but that was normal for a healthy teenage boy. He simply couldn’t help fantasizing about some things. Smiling, he tried to focus on the sounds of the nature around him, but as expected, it didn’t work too well. With a helpless sigh, he looked up at the sky and started thinking about something else.

“I wonder if the Heavens are up there, somewhere…?” he mused, getting into a contemplative mood. “If you’re listening, then I’m sorry for cursing at you,” he ended up saying, all the while feeling a bit awkward about trying to speak with something formless like the Heavens. It was almost like talking to ‘the world.’ Was that strange?

“All this time, I failed to see how happy I could have been. I was only looking at the things I didn’t have and failed to notice all the great things that were, and luckily still are, part of my life,” he continued this strange conversation, not really sure if he was just speaking his thoughts aloud to come to terms with them, to close a period in his life and move on, or if he really was hoping that the Heavens were listening to him.

“Now, I can see how blessed I am. I can live safely, I do not suffer hunger, I have family that cares for me… and I have a girl that loves me, whom I love just as much.” He breathed out, a very tranquil and peaceful feeling engulfing his heart.

“I... still want to be stronger. I want to be able to protect my dear ones, now, and in the future…” He smiled a little, looking inside his own mind, trying to ascertain how he truly felt, and to understand what kind of person he was. Without thinking, he proceeded to speak his feeling as they were. “However, since it wasn’t destined to be... I can only hope that we will meet no injustice in our lives. And if we do, hopefully there will always be somebody looking over us… Just like that day, when the black wolf happened to be there to save us…” With nothing else to say, Wu Bai stopped and for one last time, took a deep breath of fresh air before returning home.

He began walking away… but then, suddenly, the world in front of his eyes blurred. Out of nowhere, his body grew hot, as if his skin was being warmed by some strange energy. He was startled, unable to understand what was going on. He felt an indescribably powerful presence of… something. Of something without a form, without emotions… but with awareness.

In front of his eyes appeared many streaks of white mist, which gathered into one, taking a form of… a man. The was the very same man Wu Bai remembered being depicted in the Immortal Slaying manual. The man smiled at him. However, as soon as his figure became more distinct, another streak of mist engulfed him, transforming into chains that bound and restricted his body.

Wu Bai swallowed, astonished by the appearance of this… ghost? Spirit? “Who are you?” he asked carefully, aware of the boundless power that the man seemed to possess.

The man tilted his head and gazed upon Wu Bai, making the thirteen year old feel as if he could see through his very being. The man nodded contently, then began raising his hand, struggling against the chains that were binding his power, that were imposing their own will upon him…

At last, one of the chains shuddered and shattered, allowing the man point his hand at Wu Bai. Instantly, the warmth surrounding Wu Bai’s body grew ten times, hundreds of times, thousands of times stronger.

The experience nearly caused Wu Bai to faint, as he suddenly became aware of the… world! At this very moment, he could feel the every living being in the world. He could see every place, he was aware of everything… he could sense the limitless spiritual energy filling the world, circulating through it and giving life to everything in existence!

The man nodded to himself, the chain that he had managed to break quickly reformed and bound his hand once again. He turned back into the white mist, dissipating and merging with the world itself. Along with him, the chains also disappeared…

Wu Bai gasped for air as he awakened from the vision. He attempted to calm his breathing, but then… he trembled. He looked around himself, dumbfounded. He closed his eyes and amazingly enough… sensed the spiritual energy surrounding him. His heart beating wildly, Wu Bai immediately tried to pull on the spiritual energy and direct it into his body…

However, his expression quickly turned dark, as he discovered that he was just as incapable of gathering it as he had always been.

Yet, a sudden thought hit him like a ton of bricks. Slowly, as if scared that it wouldn’t work, he grabbed the hilt of one the twin swords hanging from his belt. He drew the blade, then after a brief moment of hesitation, took the proper stance and swung it.

“Sever the Immortal!” he called out the name of the technique in his mind, then was shocked and overjoyed, to sense a powerful disruption that tore apart through the masses of spiritual energy itself. The power of this technique was nothing like it had been before, it was on an entirely another level!

“This, this is…!” Wu Bai held his breath, staring at the sword in his hand. Without doubt, this was the true, long lost Immortal Slaying Art!

• Aha i was checking if this is updated before ISSTH was so anxious to know what happened to the lil fella's. Great stuff guys!
  • edited March 2016
    Haha, how to get 'first' on ISSTH release? Look for when new ISSI chapter appears and go to F5 on the ISSTH chapter's preview! xD ^.^