Of Plot Holes and Missed Plot Lines

NOT A HATE POST

I love IET's works, but after reading CD for a second time, there are a few questions about the plot that I'm dissatisfied about. Do include any other questions that you have?

1. Way of Destruction - why did Linley decide to train in fire element instead of in the way of destruction, when it has always been heavily hinted that he has talent in it?
2. After death - if saints reincarnate as undead in the netherworld, does that mean that deities do as well, considering that their original bodies are saint-level?
3. Descendants of Divine beasts - In the earlier volumes, it explains that the descendants of Dylin are other beasts (forgot the names), shouldn't Bebe's daughter have a bestial lineage as well, instead of being born as a human?
4. Why is Beirut so protective of the 18 Northern Duchies? 

Comments

• edited January 2016
    1. IET rushed the novel pretty much ever since he entered the Infernal Realm, as I recall it's because another of his novel became more successfull that he wanted to spend more time on. It was simply an easier path to take I suppose. There's not really an explanation for it, just a change in the stories direction.
    2. No, If a Deity uses a spark outside of his/her body, the main body of a saint will still be empowered with Divine Power, basically turning it into a deity as well. And the only "death" for a Deity is for its soul to shatter, and without a soul, one cannot reincarnate in the nether world.
    3. This is most likely because Bebe's wife is human and not a rat. If she was a rat, this would most likely be the case. In this case it would be more accurate to say she is more like Linley in a way, human with divine beast blood. 
    4. The biggest theory is that the Frost Godess Shrine that is in the 18 duchies is the Shrine of Beiruts wife, Carolina, and therefore protects her shrine.
  • 1. IET had NO clue whatsoever as to how the edicts works, when you really think about, we were given minimal details about them that basically didn't answer any fundamental questions regarding them. Since IET doesn't know what to do with the edicts, he chose a different route, a more cliche but easier one about mastering all basic elements and somehow combining them to become super strong. Using cliches that millions of other story has is far easier (just need to tweak some here and there) than coming up with an entirely new (or relatively unused) concept such as the edicts. IET might have had the 4 way in mind since the beginning, but he was counting on destruction as an added bonus, but realized how difficult it was so simply just made 4 way soul mutants OP

2. Very confusing, no straight answer to be honest. What flying boots said could very well be true, but there is no reference to say that the original body can really be considered a deity. Technically it should still be capable of death if it loses enough blood, since it should still have the blood essence and deities clones don't. So long as you don't destroy the soul, it should be capable of death and go to the netherworld, but again not too sure. Not explained properly. I just don't think that the original body can be considered a deity by itself (nothing to suggest so) so it should die normal deaths.

3. What flying boots said, his wife is a human, so it shouldn't be that surprising.

4. It could very well be that the shrine worships Carolina, but not much to go off to support that theory as well. Just never explained. Most likely Beirut just doesn't want anybody in his territory to cause some damage, like a show of strength, someone like him, although patient and seemingly calm most of the times, most likely has a ego himself that won't permit people randomly doing things his territory, and to let people know he reigns supreme. But and even better idea would be to say that it was there that he was born, his home is near there and with his power you would expect to live in his birthplace, even more considering how close it is to the home of all rats. kind of close to Carolina theory, but more realistic considering no reference about frost goddess and Carolina.
  • 1. I think it was mainly that it was a hard aspect to train in and he just never got around to training in it since there are few that show talent in it.

2. This was answered already in a previous post.

3. Beibei's daughter was complicated. Since there were so few of their species Beirut only knew how to activate beibei's abilities through the trial and error that he has done himself in the past. However Beibei's daughter was actually half-human. Neither of the two knew how exactly to get the ability to activate so it will be something that she would have to do her own but that is near impossible to do so soon and would probably take thousands of years to even get a hint of it.

4. I don't recall ever stating the reason why but i like the previous theories and it would make sense. 
  • 1. I think it was mainly that it was a hard aspect to train in and he just never got around to training in it since there are few that show talent in it.

3. Beibei's daughter was complicated. Since there were so few of their species Beirut only knew how to activate beibei's abilities through the trial and error that he has done himself in the past. However Beibei's daughter was actually half-human. Neither of the two knew how exactly to get the ability to activate so it will be something that she would have to do her own but that is near impossible to do so soon and would probably take thousands of years to even get a hint of it.

4. I don't recall ever stating the reason why but i like the previous theories and it would make sense. 
    1. Considering his sword soul, I think his talent in destruction shouldn't be any weaker than fire, and edicts are more powerful than laws, so that's not a valid enough reason to not even try. I firmly believe that IET don't know how the edicts work himself, never mentioned anything about how to train in them or fusing or anything in depth. It doesn't matter if there are few people who train in it, he should have at least have the details of how it works, and he has hinted too many times that Linley was going to train in it but never went through. 

3. First, I'm pretty sure it's just "Bebe" and second, Beirut did not unlock Bebe's abilities through some trial and error process. It was completely random and unexpected for Bebe to be a godeater rat. But it happen through nature's course, by fate if you will. He didn't help Bebe unlock anything, all his abilities were gained simply through growing, he just helped with his maturity, perhaps something might have been done there but it was never mentioned, and gave soul slips to help with law training.

1. Considering his sword soul, I think his talent in destruction shouldn't be any weaker than fire, and edicts are more powerful than laws, so that's not a valid enough reason to not even try. I firmly believe that IET don't know how the edicts work himself, never mentioned anything about how to train in them or fusing or anything in depth. It doesn't matter if there are few people who train in it, he should have at least have the details of how it works, and he has hinted too many times that Linley was going to train in it but never went through. 

3. First, I'm pretty sure it's just "Bebe" and second, Beirut did not unlock Bebe's abilities through some trial and error process. It was completely random and unexpected for Bebe to be a godeater rat. But it happen through nature's course, by fate if you will. He didn't help Bebe unlock anything, all his abilities were gained simply through growing, he just helped with his maturity, perhaps something might have been done there but it was never mentioned, and gave soul slips to help with law training.
    Lol the thing with the edicts is quite funny, just remember that they dont even have profound mysteries, IET doesnt know how the edicts works? probably or he was just lazy either way we know nothing about them
  • If one has a life-span f eternity, one cannot claim that they lack the time for anything.
    A huge missed opportunity was missed :(

• LigerCero said:
    If one has a life-span f eternity, one cannot claim that they lack the time for anything.
    A huge missed opportunity was missed :(

Exactly, just another reason why it makes no sense for Linley to not even try to practice the way of destruction. And with his strong soul, would he honestly be slow at it? Like I've been saying for a long time, the only thing makes sense is that the author himself wasn't sure how to make Linley train in it, so he ditched it in the end. 
  • fingon said:
    NOT A HATE POST

I love IET's works, but after reading CD for a second time, there are a few questions about the plot that I'm dissatisfied about. Do include any other questions that you have?

1. Way of Destruction - why did Linley decide to train in fire element instead of in the way of destruction, when it has always been heavily hinted that he has talent in it?
    2. After death - if saints reincarnate as undead in the netherworld, does that mean that deities do as well, considering that their original bodies are saint-level?
    3. Descendants of Divine beasts - In the earlier volumes, it explains that the descendants of Dylin are other beasts (forgot the names), shouldn't Bebe's daughter have a bestial lineage as well, instead of being born as a human?
    4. Why is Beirut so protective of the 18 Northern Duchies? 
    1. IET not have idea or lazy to explain destructive LAW editct

2. Deity soul after death become spark?

3. Hos wife human

4. Beirut protect his wife home
  • 4. Is a request from Ceasar iirc about protecting the Frost Goddess( a saint who i believe likes Ceasar) or whatever cause people there like worship her and she also lives there . Because Ceasar war going to the Necropolis of the Gods and that means no one will be able to guard the place from being invaded by other saints. 
  • That's not the reason at all, there's no way Beirut would bother protecting people like that because Caesar, a simple Demigod asked Beirut, he wouldn't even care about it. It's always speculated that the Frost Godess Shrine was created by his wife, Carolina, and is therefore protecting the 18 Duchies because it's her territory.
  • You sure it's not? Or you just "think" it isn't cause of your opinion on Beirut's character? Cause I read it somewhere in some chapter that ceasar asked that favor. 
  • edited September 2016
    You sure it's not? Or you just "think" it isn't cause of your opinion on Beirut's character? Cause I read it somewhere in some chapter that ceasar asked that favor. 
    Ceaser asks Linley to make sure that the War God and High Priest don't invade the 18 Northern Duchies if he dies in Necropolis of the Gods but while he is still sitting with Linely talking about it Beirut tells Linley, the War God and High Priest that the 18 Northern Duchies are off limits now it's possible that Beirut was secretly listening and told them that but it seem very unlikely especially seeing as Beirut doesn't intervene to help any of the other Deities even Linley and his friends except as the absolute last resort {for Linley only} Beirut watches as Desri's Divine Clone is destroyed and he says he would have only intervened to help Linley in the absolute last resort and only because of Linley's relationship with Bebe. Beirut doesn't intervene to help any of the other Deities when they almost die or when their entire empire's are taken over so it would be completely out of character for Beirut to help Ceaser by protecting an entire country for him even more so when you consider that Desri and them are supposed to be part of Beirut's faction and have a friendship with Linley and Bebe. 
  • My guess is he helpes to lessen trouble linley will have to get through (for bebe's sake)
  • My guess is he helpes to lessen trouble linley will have to get through (for bebe's sake)
    It's possible but again it seems extremely unlikely as Beirut doesn't intervene even when Linley's own empire is invaded and doesn't help even when Linley's family members die {Cena's wife and children} and given revelations at the end of the novel we know Beirut could help anyone anytime he wanted to in the entire Yulan Plane. Beirut tells Bebe that he would help only as the last resort so while he might save Linley if he was about to die he won't help Linley be killing his enemies or removing obstacles for him. Given how powerful Beirut is if he wanted to lessen Linley's troubles Linley would have no trouble's at least in the Yulan Plane.
  • edited September 2016
    You sure it's not? Or you just "think" it isn't cause of your opinion on Beirut's character? Cause I read it somewhere in some chapter that ceasar asked that favor. 
    I mean, considering the ONLY thing Beirut truly did for Linley was watch over him and offer him guidance, and that was purelly for Bebe's sake, why would he go further than that for Caesar, a deity who means basically nothing to him? ;o It really has nothing to do with my own opinion of who Beirut is, it's purelly on how he has been depicted in the books. He cares somewhat about Linley purelly because of Bebe, but he couldn't care less about Linley's family besides Delia, because if anything happened to her it would have a huge impact on Linley, which would hurt Bebe, therefore he helps her, but anyone else in his family he blatantly ignores.

If he reaches out to 1 person close to Linley, purelly to not have any negative impacts on Linley or Bebe, and ignores everyone else in Linleys circle, how is Ceasar different? What makes him special?

If you can provide any information how Beirut giving assistance to anyone besides Linley and Delia(Ceasar not included considering it's his validity we are discussing, Divine Beast Clan is also not included because Beirut giving them assistance is not related to Linley himself at all.) within Linleys circle, I am more than happy to say I am wrong, but I have read Coiling Dragon from start to finish at least 5 times, and I have absolutely zero recollection of any such event.