Tales of Demons & Gods - Latest Chapter Discussions

Discuss, no spoilers!

Comments

• Goddess = new harem member?
  • i somehow feel like she has to die at somepoint so Du Ze can become a fire god/ study the laws of fire. either way shes deffinitly going back to glory city. anyone think nie li will be a bit too op if he studys space/time laws?
  • I'm assuming he has them locked away already... Remember that thing in his dantian? That must be the book if I'm right...
  • I'm enjoying Nie Li's adventures into the wilderness. His most recent insights into this world's laws are fairly promising.

Overall, the storyline is good. Sometimes the flow of the chapters seems like it's lacking. (This could be fixed with combining some of the shorter sentences in to one longer, solid one.)
  • I'm a bit lost.  Why does Nie Li consider himself "half-inscriptionist" when his level of understanding of inscriptions is OP level?  Or he is only OP compared to the level of the world he is in and is actually not that much when compared to the "true inscriptionists" who perhaps belong to other realms?
  • Yeah I'm not completely sure either but I think it's cos he never set out to become one but picked up bits and pieces over his studies.
  • edited January 2016
    lilygel said:

I'm a bit lost.  Why does Nie Li consider himself "half-inscriptionist" when his level of understanding of inscriptions is OP level?  Or he is only OP compared to the level of the world he is in and is actually not that much when compared to the "true inscriptionists" who perhaps belong to other realms?

It's the later.   Remember back before he took the alchemist test: he reflected that he'd gained a little bit of knowledge from real alchemists he'd encountered in his other life but how he couldn't be considered an alchemist compared to them.

His standards are just a wee bit high.

• Um guys isn't the plot going in a way too fast manner? he's hardly 15 and already OP? I know that he has his previous life's memory and stuff but isn't the pace too fast? Its like I'm watching a Shounen anime where the MC changes from weakest to strongest within the span of like 6 months??
  • Greyman said:

lilygel said:

I'm a bit lost.  Why does Nie Li consider himself "half-inscriptionist" when his level of understanding of inscriptions is OP level?  Or he is only OP compared to the level of the world he is in and is actually not that much when compared to the "true inscriptionists" who perhaps belong to other realms?

It's the later.   Remember back before he took the alchemist test: he reflected that he'd gained a little bit of knowledge from real alchemists he'd encountered in his other life but how he couldn't be considered an alchemist compared to them.

I see.

Tsuchi said:

Um guys isn't the plot going in a way too fast manner? he's hardly 15 and already OP? I know that he has his previous life's memory and stuff but isn't the pace too fast? Its like I'm watching a Shounen anime where the MC changes from weakest to strongest within the span of like 6 months??

The plot is fast?  I don't think so at all.
    1.) Author spent around 180 chapters for Nie Li's stay in Glory City before venturing out (and I think he'll go back some time soon)
    2.) His mission to rid Glory City of threats is still not over.  He might even move the city to another realm.
    3.) Obtaining Legend rank ASAP is only a near-future goal.  He needs power to support his other objectives and will need more power afterwards so it will be a looooong story.
    4.) Legend rank is treated top level in the current era, but they are not that uncommon ages ago.  There are even realms above it.  For Nie Li who deeply knows cultivation, leveling up is no problem.  The people in Glory City in particular are ignorant so in comparison, Nie Li seems monstrous.  But considering his very abundant knowledge and experience, his progress is acceptable IMHO.
    5.) He still has plenty of things to do once he secures Glory City.  It's not the final objective of the story.  According to novelupdates.com, TDG is still ongoing with 415 chapters so far.  Who knows how many more chapters are left or how long the author is planning.

Well, the way we read the novel also affects our impression of it.  I, myself, get a different feeling from when I read 100+ chapters nonstop compared to when I wait for a new chapter to be released each day.  If you're like me who reads dozens of titles, getting cliffhung each time a chapter comes out, pacing will give the illusion of being slow and unbearable at times.
  • lilygel said:

Greyman said:

lilygel said:

I see.

Tsuchi said:

Um guys isn't the plot going in a way too fast manner? he's hardly 15 and already OP? I know that he has his previous life's memory and stuff but isn't the pace too fast? Its like I'm watching a Shounen anime where the MC changes from weakest to strongest within the span of like 6 months??

The plot is fast?  I don't think so at all.
    1.) Author spent around 180 chapters for Nie Li's stay in Glory City before venturing out (and I think he'll go back some time soon)
    2.) His mission to rid Glory City of threats is still not over.  He might even move the city to another realm.
    3.) Obtaining Legend rank ASAP is only a near-future goal.  He needs power to support his other objectives and will need more power afterwards so it will be a looooong story.
    4.) Legend rank is treated top level in the current era, but they are not that uncommon ages ago.  There are even realms above it.  For Nie Li who deeply knows cultivation, leveling up is no problem.  The people in Glory City in particular are ignorant so in comparison, Nie Li seems monstrous.  But considering his very abundant knowledge and experience, his progress is acceptable IMHO.
    5.) He still has plenty of things to do once he secures Glory City.  It's not the final objective of the story.  According to novelupdates.com, TDG is still ongoing with 415 chapters so far.  Who knows how many more chapters are left or how long the author is planning.

Well, the way we read the novel also affects our impression of it.  I, myself, get a different feeling from when I read 100+ chapters nonstop compared to when I wait for a new chapter to be released each day.  If you're like me who reads dozens of titles, getting cliffhung each time a chapter comes out, pacing will give the illusion of being slow and unbearable at times.

I not telling that the author is writing the story slow but I'm talking about age of characters inside the story, they powered up from Notting to super powerful in a matter of months whereas it would normally talk years to accomplish the same task by a regular genius
  • The author justifies it by saying that Nie Li spent a loooong time inside the book learning and learning and learning countless things about cultivation and other things.  His boundless knowledge of techniques (like cultivation techniques and soul appraising techniques) lead to the current results.  He provided the best techniques appropriate to the kind of soul the person has.  Thus, the effects are multiplied.  (I might have mis-worded some stuff since I'm only trying to recall from my poor memory but these should be things mentioned in the first few dozen chapters.)  He also knows alchemy and whatnot which provided more boost to their cultivation.

Other practitioners in Glory City cultivates through lower-than-trash techniques and without much help from elixirs.  That's why in comparison, Nie Li and company seems to have grown in strength too fast.  If we believe the author's justification, then the results are actually just to be expected.  Also, note that the further you go up the ladder in cultivation, the harder it will be to progress.  The initial steps were relatively fast, but further ahead, things will slow down a bit.  Although, again, compared to the regular people, I doubt they will be considered slow.
  • first of all i like this novel, no stupid comments about me being a hater..

secondly,
    someone correct me if i am wrong, NL mentioned that he had no clue about Laws in his previous life (and he didnt train in them, this is clear) - right? if yes, then how come he now knows the inscription pattern of snow-wind god something law? if he was an inscription master in previous life, how come he didnt know anything about laws?
    am i missing something?

i am reading sooo many novels that, sometimes things get messed up in my head...
  • Think of it this way. Knowing and understanding how inscription patterns work is like having unlimited amount of water. Different laws is like having different type of vessels you can pour water in. So with unlimited water you can fill all type of vessels aka guide people in all kinds of laws. But if you dont know that vessels exist even if you have unlimited water , that will be all aka if he didnt know about the laws he couldnt put his knowledge of inscription patterns to use for them.

今晚想跟我上床吗?

• edited January 2016
    The way i think of it is inscriptions are the foundations of the laws they are the things that make them up so if you have good understanding of the inscriptions it will help to further your understanding of the laws and Nie Li knows a lot about inscriptions so he's pretty good at understanding laws 
  • think of scriptions as ideograms, just like how chinese symbols exist in our reality - just like in chinese, you can basically extrapolate the meaning of a symbol by decomposing it to its basic elements, which are made from simpler ideograms; likewise, you can extrapolate your knowledge to predict roughly how a symbol should look like, even if you don't actually know it yet

so, by describing what you predict on the snow wind god's inscriptions should look like, one who already has some insights into it (Ye Mo) should get some enlightenment, even if your predictions are not exactly pinpoint accurate
  • i feel like nie li would be really screwed over if it werent for the vines, which he chanced apon. how is a expert making so many mistakes that would completly destroy him if it werent for the vines?
  • He didn't chance upon them; they were already within his soul sea; at least they were after his "reboot".  How and why is another matter, but it's likely no coincidence that they assist in the Heavenly God technique --which is uniquely suited to his attributless and disordered soul form--, and integrating the opposing Powers of Law of Light and Darkness.
  • but if he went a different direction and didnt see the statue the stock which saved his life/ cultivation multiple times now wouldnt have appeared. but he didnt know what it did at first but got into multiple situations where he would have been in trouble if it werent for the chant he chanced upon.
  • Who said the vines are from Kong Ming's words.

今晚想跟我上床吗?

• RWX there some HUGE spoilers in chapter 230... these spoiler ruined the whole series and I don't feel like reading it anymore.... :/
  • RWX there some HUGE spoilers in chapter 230... these spoiler ruined the whole series and I don't feel like reading it anymore.... :/
    by the commenters?
  • I paused at ch224 and I am waiting for the Netherworld arc to finish.  I'm checking the titles, but I'm not sure if it's over already.  Has the story gone towards a new arc?
  • Well, while they are talking about Demon penisis, the arc hasn't actually ended yet. 
  • Haha!  When I checked the chapter title, I was also like, "What the heck?!"

Looks like I still have to wait a bit more.  I wonder if anyone knows what the exact chapter number this arc ends.
  • edited February 2016
    [Moderated: Spoiler]
  • I am the moderator so I had no other choice but to read the first words of that post. Next time is a ban. :neutral: 

• isnt 100 years a bit of a fib? didnt nie li live much longer than that due to how strong he got?
  • wes174 said:
    isnt 100 years a bit of a fib? didnt nie li live much longer than that due to how strong he got?
    Yeah and that idiot went and reduced it to 50 years... 
  • We dont know how long Nie Li lived , we only know that he spent hundreds of years inside the Book.

今晚想跟我上床吗?

• still i have trouble believing there life span is limited to 100 years!