Everything wrong with CD

Comments

• That would kind of defeat the purpose of this discussion which is to point out things that are wrong, not explained, confusing and things that you wished would've happened but didn't. You're welcome to, of course, but I would recommend starting a new discussion thread.
  • Biggest weird thing for me was finding linley to posses elemental aptitude in wind, earth and a bit in fire but not water considering he was like 2nd generation after the Azure Dragon... and then the baptism makes it all 4 elements.. like, really???
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" - Sherlock Holmes
  • aashish said:

Biggest weird thing for me was finding linley to posses elemental aptitude in wind, earth and a bit in fire but not water considering he was like 2nd generation after the Azure Dragon... and then the baptism makes it all 4 elements.. like, really???

actually by the time linley comes around the azure dragon's bloodline has been seriously diluted. it's no wonder linley doesn't have any aptitude for water element when he doesn't even have enough dragon blood to awaken on his own. as for wind/earth, he probably gained them from his mother or at least her side of the family. the little bit of fire apptitude probably came from some ancestor.

remember other than inbreeding there is no way to strengthen the bloodline, so over 5k years and hundreds of decendants it's a miracle the bloodline still exists at all. if anything thats the real plothole in all this.
  • Well, you can't completely assume that because Linley couldn't become a legit dragon blood warrior, he doesn't have any talent with water. His brother Wharton is legit, but remember that he prefers the laws of fire. If fact, I think it was hinted a few times that for some strange reason, the dragon blood warriors seem to prefer fire over water. This is just all based on the fact, that dragon blood warriors were mentioned to have the strongest attack power while never really saying much about their defense. Although their defense is no joke, their attacks were more recognized. The laws of fire are proficient in attacks, whereas water is proficient in defense. Honestly, it said that the DB warriors could only defend against spiritual attacks because of the special aura and they completely relied on the scales for material defense. So, it highly doubtful that any of them really trained in water. But Linley and Wharton probably inherited fire from their ancestors who trained in it.

And inbreeding is not the only way. A mutation in the genes could happen like with Bebe. His mother came from Beirut line, but his father did not. It was just a lucky mutation that Bebe became a god eater rat. Afterwards, his line from there would have a stronger godeater rat lineage just like how his daughter was mentioned to have strong GE rat blood, just not pure enough to be one. The same can be said for Wharton. For some strange reason, the bloodline just decides to strengthen for the child. Bloodlines can be diluted and weaken, but they can't actually disappear. However, I find it more weird that there happens to be 5 brothers, who aren't even a quintet or something, who all have strengthen bloodlines to be undying warriors. That's strange.

And what's even weirder than that is the fact that the baptism and the azure dragon blood works for Linley. Linley is the descendant of Baruch, who is the result of Beirut experiment. It is closer to call him a clone(scientifically speaking not using divine power)of the dragon rather than his child. So him and his children, Linley included, aren't legit descendants so it shouldn't be working for them even if they have the blood.
  • Well, you can't completely assume that because Linley couldn't become a legit dragon blood warrior, he doesn't have any talent with water. His brother Wharton is legit, but remember that he prefers the laws of fire. If fact, I think it was hinted a few times that for some strange reason, the dragon blood warriors seem to prefer fire over water. This is just all based on the fact, that dragon blood warriors were mentioned to have the strongest attack power while never really saying much about their defense. Although their defense is no joke, their attacks were more recognized. The laws of fire are proficient in attacks, whereas water is proficient in defense. Honestly, it said that the DB warriors could only defend against spiritual attacks because of the special aura and they completely relied on the scales for material defense. So, it highly doubtful that any of them really trained in water. But Linley and Wharton probably inherited fire from their ancestors who trained in it.

And inbreeding is not the only way. A mutation in the genes could happen like with Bebe. His mother came from Beirut line, but his father did not. It was just a lucky mutation that Bebe became a god eater rat. Afterwards, his line from there would have a stronger godeater rat lineage just like how his daughter was mentioned to have strong GE rat blood, just not pure enough to be one. The same can be said for Wharton. For some strange reason, the bloodline just decides to strengthen for the child. Bloodlines can be diluted and weaken, but they can't actually disappear. However, I find it more weird that there happens to be 5 brothers, who aren't even a quintet or something, who all have strengthen bloodlines to be undying warriors. That's strange.

And what's even weirder than that is the fact that the baptism and the azure dragon blood works for Linley. Linley is the descendant of Baruch, who is the result of Beirut experiment. It is closer to call him a clone(scientifically speaking not using divine power)of the dragon rather than his child. So him and his children, Linley included, aren't legit descendants so it shouldn't be working for them even if they have the blood.

actually even divine beasts themselves can train in more than one element as shown by beirut. it's just that the chance for other affinities are low. and through the mixing of different bloodlines other affinities start to show.

actually all the rats in the yulan plane are beirut's descendants. as the blood became more and more diluted the spawn rate increased significantly. i seriously doubt that somehow there was even one rat in that plane that doesn't contain beiruts blood. so like i said inbreeding is more or less the only way to spawn another of the super rares. (there is also the chance of miracles of the universe happening like with beirut and being born out of the universe it's self instead but thats super mega ultra rare event) it was even stated in book 17 or so that pretty much the only chance of another azure dragon being born was if they started inbreeding.

as for bebe's kid. it's not that her blood is to thin to awaken, it's that there is no way to awaken it. even the 4 divine beasts took a lot of effort to figure out how to awaken there bloodlines in their kids and descendants. beirut himself said that he still hasn't found a way to do so and was still trying. just look at beirut's 3 kids. none of them have awakened either. so like i said. it's not that they don't have enough blood to awaken it's that they don't have a ceremony to awaken them with.

i need to clear something up with you. although the 5 bro's do have the power of their bloodline to be undying warriors, (as said in the story, sometimes the blood comes back strong) they aren't awakened. they do not possess the turtle beasts divine ability. just like linely and wharton and their kids and every ultra divine beast descendant ever (4 divine beast clans, beirut's kids as the only actual examples) they must first go through some kind of awakening ceremony to first awaken their bloodline.

beirut didn't so much 'clone' the 4 divine beasts as he did impregnate human women with their dna somehow. even so, if he did some how manage to clone them. they wouldn't have needed the awakening since they would be clones and therefore actual divine beasts. anyways, although they were born in a less traditional method, they are still descendants of the divine beasts.
  • He has the blood essence of the beasts not their sperm. It can be argued that the corpse still holds some but let's assume that it works a little different since they are divine beasts and Beirut and the other experimenters only said they used the blood. I imagine they did some sort of scientific cloning process rather than impregant women.

Divine beasts can train in more than their element, anyone can and I acknowledge that. I am just saying that the element you are proficient in can probably be assumed through inheritance. Otherwise, your statement earlier that Linley got earth and wind from his mothers side would also be false. Again, I believe most or at least the main ones of the dragon blood warriors were praticioner of fire which is where Linley and Wharton got theirs from.

I meant the first awakening. There is basically 2 steps to the awakening. The first is getting your transformation and the 2 is the true one were you get the divine ability. You don't need to go through the baptism to get through the 1 or maybe that is the result of Beirut experiments since it never mentioned any of the 4DBC doing it but then again they would be at the Saint level which is not worth mentioning so who knows. Anyways, if you can at least get through the 1 step, then that would mean the purity of the bloodline is strong which should suggest that the true awakening with the baptism would bring out more power than someone who couldn't legitly transform.
    Well, my main point is that the 5 barker Bros are all capable of the 1 step which is strange. Giving birth to 5 children is already strange, but the fact they are all undying warriors when the bloodline is diluted heavily is even stranger. Did 5 mutations happen in a row? All the other warriors don't exist because producing a child with strong bloodline without a mutation in the genes is too hard. The barker bros are the weird ones when you think about it.

I forgot that all the rats were descendants of Beirut, but Bebe was able to become a GE rat was still because of a lucky mutation. After all, if they are all his descendants, then they have been inbreeding since forever but one still didn't appear. Also, at the very least, his mother was mentioned to be a part of the main branch so her blood should be a lot stronger than the dad. But anyways, since neither of them were even saints, the power of the blood couldn't be strong enough to get a god eater rat.

As for Bebes daughter, no matter what, her blood isn't pure enough to be a GE rat, even if they did find someway to awaken the blood, she still wouldn't technically be one. It's basically like how Linley, who arguably now has the highest purity in his blood, still isn't an azure dragon. Everyone in the clan can transform and use the divine ability, but none of them are legit divine beasts.
    But of course, this begs the question of since Linley and the others can still do a transformation without the baptism, then shouldn't other descendents of divine beasts be capable of it too? Maybe, like I mentioned earlier, that the 4 supreme warriors are only capable of it because they were the products of Beirut experiment or the 4DBC is special.
  • edited December 2015
    as for the minor transformation. thats from special cultivation ways. and is unique for each divine beast bloodline. truthfully, this is probably one of the oversites IET made due to his insanely fast pace. although it's not mentioned but possibly bebe's kid does have a godeater rat cultivation technique, and that the 4dbc were also using the same techniques as the ones in the yulan plane. that or being in the higher realms basically makes it so that you can cultivate to saint no matter what. since bebe's kid was never in a fight and beiruts kids are rats to begin with, we never know if they have a similar technique as the baruch and other clans.

i think it was said that beirut impregnated women with the 4db bloodlines. course i could have that confused with a half assed spoiler i read. regardless, it's obvious that beirut didn't clone them but mixed in human dna.
  • Beirut did not impregant women. When he revealed the truth in the final book, it stated that he mixed the blood as in like pour the blood into human beings. This process should not really be mixing the DNAs. Otherwise, whenever their is blood transfusion, then you would be mixing DNA as well. Well, I'm not too sure but either way, Beirut didn't create the 4 supreme warriors through a legit way so why does the baptism work for them.

It was never stated that any other divine beasts have their own way to create the first minor transformation. We know that the 4DBC is the only one that can awaken the blood in their descendents. The others have no mention of doing so. That means that the rest are only capable of the minor transformation, but we are not too sure if that's even possible. There are plenty of divine beasts which means plenty more of their descendents. Yet not one is capable of that partial transformation like the 4DB or at least one was never shown. They either are divine beasts themselves or can't do it at all. The author never elaborated on this so we can only guess.
    Oh, and special cultivation techniques aren't the only way to transform. Linley and the 3 kids did so through eating some grass than drinking dragon blood. So we know that you don't necessarily need cultivation technique to do the transformation, probably necessary if you want to continue to train, yet not one mention of others doing the same. If only the author went into more details about this.
  • If I think about it, it went really wrong/bad after he left the Yulan plane. The universe building was great but it seems the author lost his way after introducing tons of characters with little addition to the story. He even discarded characters which he built upon heavily at earlier chapters as though they were key antagonists or allies. It would have added more depth if the author also developed the allies as a team as well as the villains. 

Add to the fact he rushed the ending so hard with extreme deus ex machina scenarios. Comparing the quality of the plot in the beginning and the end really makes me sad.
  • I know how you feel nininjaja

I loved this novel so much and that's why I hate it so much that there is so many problems with it.
  • Every story has problems like this, what I do and what you should do, is understand it's simply a story, get over it and continue enjoy what is left of it.
  • If stories weren't criticized because they're nothing more than just stories that aren't real, would there ratings systems and such. Pointing out flaws or make suggestions is how we readers can help the author improve. The author is writing stories in hopes that people like it, buy it, and/or make money off it. If the author isn't popular or writes bad stories, that means he has to change to fit the things that the audience would like to read. If he disregards what the audience want, who would read it and how would he make money. He's be out of business. Perhaps the author won't read mines, but he has seen reviews and ratings and knows the popularity of his stories. He probably has checked out some complaints and suggestions that normal people like me have said before. That's what a good author would do. If we as the reader continue to not criticize at all, we would be left with stories that were completely shitted out from the behind just for the authors amusement.
  • I understand your point of view, but from how I see it, you've stated close to a hundred "flaws" of the books, which more than half of these things that shouldn't even need to be considered because they're so minor. They way I see you, is like Spock trying to understand Captain Kirk, instead of just enjoying the story, you deliberately search for flaws and only try and see it from a logical point of view. I simply cannot see how you can enjoy reading light novels in such a manner. That's merely my point of view though, I see flaws in the light novels, I give some thought to as why these flaws are there and try to come up with a rational explanation, but only for a moment, after which I merely push it aside and continue reading because it's simply a story, it doesn't need logic 100%, I mean come on, it's a magical world where you can split your body into several. Logic? Lol.
  • It's not 100 "flaws" it's 100 "flaws, suggestions for improvements, things that I want clarified/elaborated/explained, things that I wanted to see happen, or wondering what was in the authors mind when he wrote this part"

Nobody seems to read this part when I already mentioned it like a million times. I get it already, they aren't all "flaws" but do you need to point that out all the time when I already gave an explanation for what I meant. Or do you guys want that to change or something. I mean you guys can use any word you want and have it be a different meaning but as long as you explain what you meant by it, I don't see the problem.

From my point of view, almost everything needs to be logical. The only things that I can accept as illogical would be MC plot armor and comedy bullshit. Everything else needs to be explained in a manner that makes sense.
    Even magic and other things that don't happen in real life can at least be explained logically. For example, say in a story you have the concept of magic that states to use it, you need to be attuned to nature, cast the right words, and have necessary mana or something. Makes sense right, from an under the surface point of view. But you can also use the same thing, but you don't need to say words but it's replicable with a spell circle or something. So longs as it is explained in some depth of how it works and it isn't complete bullshit, I'll accept it. But a person uses magic despite using nothing as a medium nor have enough mana and it was never explained how. This is what I call illogical and a flaw the author needs to fix.

There are 3 layers of how things appear and can be explained in my opinion. You surface, under the surface, and the core. Surface things is just looking at it as is and take it for what it's suppose to be. Under the surface gives some in depth explanation of it. The core goes through the physics or philosophy of it. I would prefer the core but most authors don't do this so I'll accept under the surface explanations of how their world works for the major things. As for surface stuff, only the minor things that won't make a difference would count to this category in my opinion. Like the cliche scenes of one guy jumps off a cliff and then another jumps after him a while after. But some strange reason, the 2 guy catches up to the 1. Nobody ever really thinks about this, but this is impossible you knew. Both guys are in free fall and therefore are only affected by gravity. The 2nd guy can't ever catch up to the 1 unless they hit the ground. It's physics and stories that use it never explained how they defied the laws of physics. But it's meant to be a surface thing that you just accept and don't question and it's nothing major so I do.

As for how I enjoy it, it's because I always question the story that I enjoy it. Kind of weird but some people are just like that. I like to think of it as how a couple who are always arguing are really in love with each other because they notice the wrong things the other does but a couple that never argues don't actually care for each other because they never really notice what the other does so there's nothing to argue about. I guess I just think about the story and try to get this image in my head of what the story is. As I rack through my brains, trying to perfect this image, I notice these small details that aren't suppose to be there or I think that the image would look better if it was there. That's what leads to all this flaw finding and how I operate when reading novels. The more I like a story, the better the picture in my brain gets, or the more effect I put into drawing that picture, which inevitably leads to finding flaws coz no story is perfect.
  • Everyone should question the story, like I said, I do the same, but I have never seen anyone take it to such an extreme level that it's almost obsessive. I'm sorry, but I cannot understand how you enjoy reading stories like these where stories themselves are for your own imagination to run wild, not be restrained by logic and flaws as this. It completely destroys the entire joy of reading to me, I cannot understand it.
  • It's like an oxymoron or a paradox to me. First of all, I'm not obsessed with it. I just really like it and all. Definitely not at the level of some crazy fanatic for a pop star or something. Like I don't try to seek out the author for all these explanations and stuff.
    The reason why I dig in deep into this is because I happen to be more of analytical thinker and it interests me. A lot of people read things purely for fun and they often don't think about it too much mostly because they don't like to analyze things. But that doesn't mean I'm calling you all stupid. It could also mean that it didn't interest you enough to want to think about it. Naturally, the more entertaining you find something, the more effort you put into it. But again, it's not like I even have a t shirt for coiling dragon or anything close to that at all. It helps to be a smarter or more analytical thinker so that you can find yourself questioning things more in depth and all with less interest. I sometimes find myself thinking about subjects that I don't care about like twilight, which I rather dislike, because I'm forced to think about it or it just comes naturally. You ever just stare into space and find your mind pondering things?

I do like to let my imagination run wild, but it's because of that, that I want to know all the laws and how things work in the universe. A bit of a paradox, I know. But think about it, imagination is basically infinite and without limit. If i don't limit it myself, it could go off the wrong way. Like, I want to imagine what would happen if I was living in the CD universe or something like that. If I don't know all the laws, how can I do it properly. I mean, I can't just do random bullshit. There needs to be some boundaries or you wouldn't be in the CD universe anymore. Basically I want to be free in my imagination but can't do so without some sort of guidelines. And that's how I find joy in reading novels. By understanding everything about it and imagining my own course.
  • I'm also an analytical thinker, I love puzzles and I love things that makes the cogwheels spin in my head, but to go to the point where the value of the story breaks down because you want logical answers, it's being pushed too far if you ask me.
  • The breakdown of a story is no different from a puzzle in my opinion. Every piece of the puzzle is suppose to fit and you want to put it all together right? But you notice that a piece is missing or think that a different one would have been better. Or wonder how it fits where it fits when it doesn't seem like it should.

What's the difference? You wonder how to solve this puzzle. You wonder how this world works. You like your brain working hard then why not think about the core of the novel. But again, it's all with interests. I have read plenty of other novels and never gave much thought to them afterwards. I guess you just haven't read a novel where it sparked your interest to a high enough level and truly want to know everything about it. Or you work too much and have a lot of stress. A lot free time without stress helps with deep thinking about things you find entertaining.
  • I think you misunderstood me, I didn't say breakdown of a story, I said that the VALUE of the story was broken down, there is a huge difference. :D
  • Oh, my bad

But what do you mean the value is broken down? I said it before that I enjoyed the story and that it's good, but that there is some problems to the story that I want fixed and such.
  • Your last statement is pretty much what I mean, while it's fun to try and figure out loopholes and things that the author contradicts, why does it need to be fixed? If you spend so much time trying to figure out logic and flaws in even the tiniest bits of the story, you'll just spend more time both thinking about it and being irritated about it, and therefore even if you don't realise at the time, the overal value of the story decreases. By looking for imperfection, you'll appreciate it less and less.
  • That's one way of looking at it I suppose. But I think that everything should be an informed decision. Meaning it's better to dislike something because you know everything about it than to like something but you don't actually understand what's going on. But everyone has their own opinion. Besides, I've found a lot of problems with the story, but I still like it. I guess it's because I mentally fix them myself while reading it.
  • xianxiafan. im sorry but flyingboots is right. you've gone too far. it's fine to wonder if the other clans do the same thing as the dragonbloods to awaken, it's fine to ask why linley stopped fusing laws in earth and rushed to highgod, it's fine to complain about the rushed ending but you've nitpicked so fucking much that it's to the point you either have a really weird severe case of OCD or you hate this story.

what does it matter if the 3 way is ever shown, he was never a part of the story and never needed to be.
    and while im too lazy to look at the other 100+ things you hate about this story, at least half of them are so pointless, it makes us wonder how you can enjoy anything. the amount of detail you want. stop reading xianxia and go read JP LN's. they go around in circles so much you'll find the meaning of life in them.

my question is this. do you do this to every story? because i know a lot of english novels that are far more vague and questionable than CD.
    what worse is you ask a bunch of questions that have no answers other than the ones in the authors head. how are we to know why it's so hard for some people have have children and for normal people and weak beasts to spawn them in droves? (the author even answers this, you just can't seem to accept the answer.) it's just one of those things that exist for plot. it's like asking why does the world have a sun? why a moon? what purpose do those objects have? (im talking CD universe here.) the truth is they have none. the sky could have easily been the light and darkness for life. there was no need for such objects. they are just put into the story to keep us from asking useless questions like how high is the sky, what would happen if we cut it open, is it possible to destroy it, ect.

• I don't think I went too far at all. Trust me when I say I have seen worst. And I actually do also read jp light novels as well. They tend to do a much better job at explaining everything that you don't really end up questioning much and are very good. Don't hate on them, but of course I'm not saying they're perfect.

Most things that I mentioned were for the sake of adding in for more entertaining things for us to read or to know. I don't care about how the sky is, but how did Linley develop all his relationships is a very reasonable question. The author could have added that in for some bonding time and extra plot. And I just put them out, no need to answer them and you don't have to think about them, heck you're not obligated to read them or even be here.

I don't hate the novel. I said it already, it's because I really liked and cared about the novel that I noticed all these things. If you were to give me some novel that I don't care or liked at all, then I wouldn't really care too much to make clear, specific details on what to fix because I probably would read it once, not pay much attention to it, and never think about it twice. Clearly, I just liked the novel more than you guys. I took the time and effort to read it over carefully and more than once and just put out suggestions and/or problems of the story. This is pretty common in just about everything else from movies, to tv shows, to all books, and any anime, etc. I recently found this an entire essay, at least 5x lengths of regular ones you would submit for a paper, on how this music video called "wiggle" by Jason Derulo was racist and sexist when all I ever thought about is how good the music and rap is for over a year. I didn't really notice or cared about any of the things mentioned in that essay until I read it. Some people go to lengths far worse than me in nitpicking. And again, the difference in what people care and are interested about. I wasn't too interested in it beyond the music, so I never noticed how sexist that video was.

I don't just do it to this one, but I don't do it to every either. Just the ones that really caught my attention. There are people like this all over the world, and for the record, I happen to one of least aggressive ones.

You guys clearly just read the novel as a pastime hobby and don't really care too much about it. Whether it needs or should be fixed or modified doesn't matter to you. I get it. But to some, it does. It's almost like a passion to me. I can't help it sometimes. A person who really likes basketball will obviously play it as much as possible and try to perfect all techniques he can. Is that wasting his time. I don't find basketball something worth putting effort into. But if someone does, that's their business. If he works hard, and shoots the ball a million times a day, I suppose that would be nitpicking, but I wouldn't put him down for it.

You can hardly call something like what I'm doing as an unhealthy obsession or something along those lines. I just think and I put it out. I don't spend my entire day thinking about this story. I just notice things really fast while reading and some extra thinking time. It's just a bunch of random things that I thought up, most are. And I have the guts to post them. At least I'm not writing an entire 100 page essay on everything wrong with this story and setting up an entire webpage for it. I would never put that much effort. Just some random posts here and there on easy to access websites.
  • edited December 2015
    xianxiafan. if this ever gets hard published. a number of things might get fixed, but overall most of the things you nitpicked about won't be fixed or expaned on.

and no matter how much you want it to. that 3 way soul mutate will not appear in the novel, except as a side story that has no effect on the plot. what does it matter. how many times have things been mentioned in stories but never actually appeared? how many times have gods been worshiped in stories, seem to actually exist, yet never appear? how many 'named' people are mentioned in stories yet are nothing more than background character that never even appear in the story?

now linley and his family sure, IET could have expanded on it, he could have expanded on the 4dbc's, i get that, im not gonna argue with it. but you can't ask an author to put out chapters daily and cover every base. things are gonna be forgotten, things are gonna be overlooked, things are gonna fall by the wayside. that's just the way it is. these authors have to put out a certain quality at a certain pace to keep their rankings and the influx of money.

sure i just read it for enjoyment. but i also have my moments of wanting more out of certain events. but i've never bothered to complain about so much that's so pointless. sure i'd like to know more about soul mutates but it's not gonna keep me up at night. sure i'd like to have a better ending. sure i'd like it if IET didn't fly through the second half of the story. and sure i was hoping for more interaction during the 4dbc arc. and i've said more than once that things went down hill after linley went to the infernal realm. but you've gone to a point that it's obsessive.

but to me. once i've read the story, i'll spend a couple days thinking about it. but after a week, it's a thing of the past and i move on. anything that i can't answer, some of it will bug me till i forget but mostly i just let it go. no point is driving myself crazy trying to figure out things that have no answer.
  • I don't drive myself crazy at all. Spare time and only a bit of it is used. Didnt your teachers ever tell you to write down everything you ever brainstormed in case you forget it. I suppose I just keep track of things more than others. I bet if you wrote down everything you ever thought of about this story, it would be a lot more than just the basics, but you just forget about it or tell yourself it isn't important so you forcibly forget it. Well, I was taught that any idea, no matter how small could be relevant. I don't exactly do this 100% but I take it more serisously at the very least. I'm going to stop this at here.

I was going to ignore the 3 way, but man are you pushing me. The 3 way was something of relevance to the story actually. First of all, it was mentioned multiple times. I don't see the point in talking about it at all, if you're never going to show one. Besides this and destruction Linley, what else was mentioned but never given any attention in the story? Every other topic was at least incorporated in the story somehow. Second, Linley's 4 way was completely out of the blue. It wasn't until he got hit by Magnus, when people started to think of its possibility for serious. And the power ups to it was completely random and just thrown out without any build up. In most other cases, whether this one or the other novels, the power ups are not random. They know exactly or had a feel to what level they could have reached. Even the MCs who practice god level techniques and such had a clue to what power they going to attain. They didn't just go in gambling with their live saying "maybe I'll grow stronger" and even if they don't exactly how strong, they had comparisons to find relative strengths. There were none in Linley's case. A 4 way is unheard of so the powers gained could very well had been anything, it could have made Linley a UC, if the author wanted because it was a new idea with nothing to compare to. The closest thing would have been to introduce the 3 way. This way, we gain expectancy of what powers Linley could attain as a 4 way. They say that fusing 2 laws gives 10x power but how can you be sure if fusing 3 laws gives 100x power. It is so rare that probably even sov had never seen one so how could anybody know what power you truly gained from it without ever meeting one. Another is why is it that being a soul mutant strengthen and transform his dragonform. If a 3 way was introduced with the same situation, then it would have been a buildup to Linley's 4 way. People would have expected it earlier and have a clue as to what powers he would get, and be surprised when he surpassed them. It's rarity is not much of an excuse as to why it was never introduced. What are the odds that Linley could have gotten the overgod item during his near death experience in the war.
  • well i keep using the 3 way because it's quick and by now the only thing i really remember. but it's not the 3 way that's relevant, it's the existence of the 3 way that's relevant. and it keeps being mentioned for 3 reasons. 1. to remind us just how rare it is, 2. to remind us one actually exists or existed, (just to point out, people had to read this story over months of time so many authors do this to both remind the readers and themselves about things) 3. because the author needed the word count. let me put it to you this way. if the author just said. 2 way mutates are rare and 4 way mutates didn't exist before linley, would you really know just how impossible linley's situation is? no to make it clear how unique an existance linley is. the author makes a point of the fact that there has only ever been ONE 3 way to ever exist and then points out that no 4 way has ever succeeded. with 2 points of reference you are able to get a rough baseline of just how hard it is to become a 4 way.

i said it already, there were times that made me think about the why or who of things. but after thinking about it i either figure out the answer or realize there is no answer. i don't nitpick the story to death though.
    for instance, the soul mutation thing. i actually thought quite hard about that one. like what would happen if linley gained a destruction clone, or would it be possible to undergo a second soul mutation, or is there a race with a natural ability to mutate their souls. (i eventually came to the conclusion that even IET himself doesn't know how soul mutation works and he just kept it as vague as possible to make people think he knew what he was doing)
    i've also thought about people with only 1 clone. like why isn't there an innate ability or some way to split off a piece of ones soul make a saint body and put said soul into it, then train it another law? i mean with all those people wishing they had more clones, it's suprising that nobody's bothered to find a method to make more.
    or better yet, why do most people only have 2 clones? is 2 some special number for the chinese? in the yulan plane even a dual magus is super rare, and triple magus seems none existant. da hells up with that? it could just be for plot but why is everyone stuck at 2. just makes no sense.
    or how about a classic IET moment. it was stated when linley became a demigod that his saint body can't fully use the power and mysteries of his laws. yet that's forgotten the moment linley's saint body gets an upgrade in physical defense. now all of a sudden linley's using 120% power with his saint body.
    there were other moments but they are either too minor for me to remember or it's been to long and i forgot them.
  • So the only difference between you and me is that I wrote them down.

If there's only one 3 way in existence, how does anybody know about him unless he's some famous super expert. In which, all the more reason Linley should have gotten to know him. Actually it was stated that one exists in each higher plane so there should be around 11 of them. It's a small modification the author made later on.

The rarity of it does not equate to the strength of it is what I'm saying. This is the case most of the time but not always true. So we know the rarity or rather the impossibility of Linley's 4 way, well how are we suppose to guess what powers he could have gotten. From what we know about soul mutants previously, which are only 2 ways, is that soul is strengthen and you could fuse power and mysteries. The will came out of nowhere, twice too. Linley's dragonform change came out of nowhere. Becoming a UC came out of nowhere. His monstrous soul strength that nearly as a good as sov without being one came out of nowhere. If we had met a 3 way, we could have made assumptions that seem realistic after knowing how strong a 3 way is. It also adds to the overall enjoyment of the novel too. You want to let your imagination run wild, but you want some hints to make more accurate guesses so it becomes more enjoyable right. Who was expecting will, dragonform change, such a powerful soul strength, and even being a UC at the end. I doubt anybody would have taken them seriously but we had nothing to go off to guess what could have happen to Linley. The author threw a fast ball at us completely unprepared when he should did a slow, curve ball. A 3 way would have been good
  • For me, the novel lost in quality when the gods came into play (Round 10 006).

When he was still mortal, he encounters a lot of people and most of them return, have an impact. But, once he went on higher realm -> Nearly no new character, and generally only return to say "hello, i am alive" (perfect example: Lomio. he seemed like a side character, suddenly return to replace Mole (the governor killed by Linley). And then? Nothing.) As for all his past friends: No power or lost in Space and Time. (RIP Haeru, Zassler and the others)

Also, the time. I am okay with Bebe being impatient in the first decades. But after hundred of years? No. He either kill himself or learned to be patient. Same goes for the training length. The author just changed day to years and didn't look further.

Once in the Higher Realm, Linley got renamed Mary Sue. His friends? Big chicken. (Award to Oliver), with no real power. Bebe? A punching bag with no offensive power (Yeah, he got his soul sucking, but can only use 2-3 times and got blocked for plot reason). Only 1 people reached a 3 way mutated soul? NP, I am a 4 way mutated now.

His swords. You got an highgod sword but could never use it correctly because not enough powerful? Better store it forever. You get 4 clones and haves 4 weapons? Better always use the most powerful and never take the others. (Okay, you took the second most powerful 1 time at the end) (What I personnaly found ironical here is that there was a whole speech about the fact that weapon became powerful by using them.)

Also, the whole Overgod/Sovereign Artifact. Once you get one, you are totally invicible in this field (for this rank). This whole rule is garbage. With how many years the tournament exist, a lot of God should have 3 Sovereign artifacts and became invicible.

Finally, we never knew why nobody could attack the Northern Duchies/Frost Goddess Shrine.
  • For your last statement, it's been a pretty discussed topic and the most reasonable(It's actually VERY reasonable) is that the Frost Godess of the Frost Godess Shrine is Carolina, Beiruts wife. He wouldn't want his wife's place destroyed, would he?