MC is a dick

Just read up to the last chapter, (vol 4 chapter 20) and i can't help think the MC is a dick.

Lazy to the max but still gets OP as hell.

Messes with peoples emotions for no good reason

Uses life magic, when his life is shared with his pet (meaning the MC has just shortened his pet life as well as his own on a petty little tournament)

Almost loses to people who are under his level in power and control.

(Spoilers) wastes time on trying to mess with a girl just to take a petty revenge (that in my view isn't justified) when the demon king is going to attack in five years time.

Now you may think that this is part of his character but it's said that the light element acknowledge's him and that light mages are pure, honest and peaceful people.

I like how fast the story goes but the MC is just so dislikeable. It's rare that a story revolves around such a dislikeable person.

I can't see my self as the MC or even want to be like him, this brings me out of the story and makes it hard to read

Tell me what you think. Am i wrong? Share what you think.

Comments

• edited November 2015
    I dropped this a while back. Couldnt stand the MC either. Also didnt really like the pace or the story.

One moment he is lazy. Next moment he is hard working.
    One moment he is good. Next moment he is a jackass.
    One moment he is supposedly one of the strongest and the next moment he is actually on the weaker end of experts.

The author needs to make up his mind.

Doesnt help the story is too fast paced with ridiculous power-ups and bullshit luck and coin-ki-dink encounters. I get its Xianxia but come on! Really?

I was really suprised that the same guy wrote Doulou Dalu and Shen Yin Wang Zuo(dont like the MC for SYWZ either but like the story)
    “But I don’t want to go among mad people" Alice remarked
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
  • he's a kid ofc he's gonna do dumb shit
  • Did you know, this was Tang Jian Sans first novel. He's a noob at that time since it's his first time making novels.
  • LuffyKun said:

Did you know, this was Tang Jian Sans first novel. He's a noob at that time since it's his first time making novels.

That explains it
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
  • The MC is sixteen at vol 4 chapter 20, but the way he acts is more on the lines of being a seven year old.

Plus a child that is mean is still a dick. Maybe if he was a dick all the time or just has a good reason to be a dick then that would be consistent.

But I'm sorry, that isn't a saving grace for a MC (being a young boy)  
  • TenFap said:

The MC is sixteen at vol 4 chapter 20, but the way he acts is more on the lines of being a seven year old.

Plus a child that is mean is still a dick. Maybe if he was a dick all the time or just has a good reason to be a dick then that would be consistent.

it's he just a kid who doesn't know better

--------------
    • the way he's cultivate is different from other people that's why's op
    Uses life magic, when his life is shared with his pet (meaning the MC has just shortened his pet life as well as his own on a petty little tournament)
    • well i guess it better to have his pet die than to let him live for many more years(and as side affect it helped him understand light magic better)
    • he's young and everyone can make some mistakes plus he's always using power no much control
    (Spoilers) wastes time on trying to mess with a girl just to take a petty revenge (that in my view isn't justified) when the demon king is going to attack in five years time.
    • your typical teenage boy running around with hormones/him been mischievous
    Now you may think that this is part of his character but it's said that the light element acknowledge's him and that light mages are pure, honest and peaceful people.
    • just been a little mischievous doesn't make him not peaceful and honest and pure

• edited November 2015
    TenFap said:

The MC is sixteen at vol 4 chapter 20, but the way he acts is more on the lines of being a seven year old.

it's he just a kid who doesn't know better

--------------
    • the way he's cultivate is different from other people that's why's op
    • well i guess it better to have his pet die than to let him live for many more years(and as side affect it helped him understand light magic better)
    • he's young and everyone can make some mistakes plus he's always using power no much control
    • your typical teenage boy running around with hormones/him been mischievous
    • just been a little mischievous doesn't make him not peaceful and honest and pure

What are you smoking?

Are you simply. Why have anything live if its just going to die. Are you the kind of person that kills dogs and cats thinking you might as well "better to have your pet die than live for many more years". I can't believe you wrote this.
     I think you'll find that being mischievous means to cause trouble in a child like way, but the MC is a young adult now. Plus the other meaning to mischievous is to cause or intended to cause harm or trouble.

. he's young and everyone can make some mistakes plus he's always using power no much control 

Yes, but he keeps on making them same mistake

Every thing you wrote doesn't excuses the MC from being a dick, in fact some of what you wrote makes him more of a dick "in my eyes"

I'm sorry that what I've wrote may sound like I'm insulting you, but i can't believe what you wrote and my good sense has been stunned
  • edited November 2015
    TenFap said:

What are you smoking?

Are you simply. Why have anything live if its just going to die. Are you the kind of person that kills dogs and cats thinking you might as well "better to have your pet die than live for many more years". I can't believe you wrote this.

god, sarcasm ever heard of it !? let met put it in simple words, why let his pet die when he can give him 60 more years
    what mistakes that he keeps making !?
     what young adult !? he's kid a teenager 
  • souldz25 said:

TenFap said:

What are you smoking?

god, sarcasm ever heard of it !? let met put it in simple words, why let his pet die when he can give him 60 more years
    what mistakes that he keeps making !?
     what young adult !? he's kid a teenager 

Sarcasm works best when said not written. The way you wrote it made it seem that you meant what you said. You gave it as a example but there was no hint of sarcasm in what you wrote. Its best to leave sarcasm out of a debate.  

The first time when the MC gave 60 years of life to his pet was explain as away to save a love one, his family. But when he was going to use life magic again, it was just so he could win a silly little tournament that happens every year. Cutting your life down to just 30 years to win was a dick move. The MC wouldn't of gained anything that he couldn't easily got with the 30 years of life he would of lost and this is the same for his pet. 

This is why i gave it as an example as to why the MC is a dick but what you said wasn't sarcasm, and even if it was, it didn't help you to make your point. So why say it at all

And the mistakes he keeps on making are many. I think it was away for the writer to allow for the MC to be OP but not winning all the time.

A young adult is varied depending where your from. but lets just say the MC is behaving like a seven year old

• edited November 2015
    TenFap said:

souldz25 said:

Sarcasm works best when said not written. The way you wrote it made it seem that you meant what you said. You gave it as a example but there was no hint of sarcasm in what you wrote. Its best to leave sarcasm out of a debate.  

The first time when the MC gave 60 years of life to his pet was explain as away to save a love one, his family. But when he was going to use life magic again, it was just so he could win a silly little tournament that happens every year. Cutting your life down to just 30 years to win was a dick move. The MC wouldn't of gained anything that he couldn't easily got with the 30 years of life he would of lost and this is the same for his pet. 

This is why i gave it as an example as to why the MC is a dick but what you said wasn't sarcasm, and even if it was, it didn't help you to make your point. So why say it at all

And the mistakes he keeps on making are many. I think it was away for the writer to allow for the MC to be OP but not winning all the time.

A young adult is varied depending where your from. but lets just say the MC is behaving like a seven year old

how could it not be sarcasm !? me using "well i guess" you could see i was not serious,
    2nd time he tried to use it  he was still a kid

this is a  "coming of age" story you gotta except the mc to do dumb shit 
  • When you use sarcasm and fact together the two conflict with each other

• "well i guess it better to have his pet die than to let him live for many more years"

According to you that was sarcasm, but then you use

(and as side affect it helped him understand light magic better)

This was wrote in the same sentence. So can you see that sarcasm followed by truth doesn't mix well

Being young doesn't exempt from being a dick.

The MC was told not to use life magic but he was going to do it anyway. he was told the side effects but still tried to attempt it 

Trying to hurt a girls feelings for no good reason is a dick move. It doesn't matter what age you are, if you go out your way to hurt someone who doesn't deserve it, that makes you a dick
  • Trying to hurt a girls feelings for no good reason is a dick move. It doesn't matter what age you are, if you go out your way to hurt someone who doesn't deserve it, that makes you a dick
    Okay. You may have forgotten. the reason why he wanted payback on the girl was cause she accused him of molesting her in class on his first day. Destroying his reputation. As you know in a XianXia novel, reputation is the one thing that always makes someone do dumb stuff. not an excuse for his actions. just letting you know it wasn't for no good reason.  

The MC was told not to use life magic but he was going to do it anyway. he was told the side effects but still tried to attempt it 

This one he lost himself to his competitive nature during an important battle. He forgot all else other than going all out. Not the first MC to do so, nor will he be the last. No need to hate him for being an immature child when that is what he is at that point in time. He will more than likely mature as the novel goes on.
  • huh ´-´ 
    when did the mc use life magic except when he revived xiao jin?
  • The MC was going to use life magic in a tournament. It was when the MC's master of knights had a bet with a high ranking lord. If the MC won then the lord would apologize to the MC's teacher but if the lord won then the teachrer would have to apologize to the lord (there's more to it but in short, that's what happens) 
  • LigerCero said:

Trying to hurt a girls feelings for no good reason is a dick move. It doesn't matter what age you are, if you go out your way to hurt someone who doesn't deserve it, that makes you a dick
    Okay. You may have forgotten. the reason why he wanted payback on the girl was cause she accused him of molesting her in class on his first day. Destroying his reputation. As you know in a XianXia novel, reputation is the one thing that always makes someone do dumb stuff. not an excuse for his actions. just letting you know it wasn't for no good reason.  

This one he lost himself to his competitive nature during an important battle. He forgot all else other than going all out. Not the first MC to do so, nor will he be the last. No need to hate him for being an immature child when that is what he is at that point in time. He will more than likely mature as the novel goes on.

If i remember correctly, the cold girl wasn't interested in the MC and because of that the MC used his light magic to probe the cold girls breast. So the cold girl had every right to accuse the MC. 

This just makes it even more of a dick move. He was caught doing some thing bad to a girl and now he wants revenge on a situation he created
  • ITOITO
    edited November 2015

Reply to OP.

Lazy: Yeah, he is way too lazy and has not earned the cultivation he has gotten. Then, when the story says he is going to work hard, he somehow does not.

Messes with people’s emotions: The whole love letter thing is kind of creepy.  Also for a boy that knows NOTHING about women,to be able to write a love letter that would move a girl’s heart, while coming up
    with a plan to manipulate her for revenge really does not make any sense.  Also it makes him look even gayer.  Yes it is also not something that “good” light mages would do.

Uses life magic: Meh, it is something a dumb kid would do, I
    can buy it.

Almost loses to people who are under his level:  Meh, again I can buy
    it, he is gaining experience.

Share what you think:

1) He is way too young to be giving such great advice to
    adults.  The maturity level he exhibits
    does not match his age.  This could be
    why the author introduces the reincarnation aspect to his later stories.

2) He does not work hard enough, and rarely strains to
    obtain anything. He is a spoiled brat who is handed everything without earning
    it.

3) Adults and other older boys call him boss and follow
    him too easily.  There is no way an adult
    warrior (Radiant Knight) would agree to be subservient to a 16 year old punk.

4) He is rude and disrespectful to his teachers, and
    sleeps in class. Why is he even in school?

5) He is an arrogant, self-centered, egotistical jerk,
    who behaves as if the whole world revolves around him, and he thinks he is a genius
    because he can cultivate while he sleeps.  

6) All of his character interactions fall into two categories,
    they either despise him (for obvious reasons) or they worship him. 

7) I hate that it is written in the first person.

Conclusion:

I am going to keep reading for now but this whole story
    comes across as an amateur first attempt at the genre, and given who the author
    is and the other amazing stories he has written, I can forgive a lot.

• Nice points, well organized.

I could of sworn that the story jumps from first person to third person and sometimes future tense. It's a bit confusing  
  • Honestly stopped reading this after the tournament to decide who will apologize to who.
    It was just getting too stupid even for a Xianxia story.

So he decides to add Warrior/Martial Arts to his repertoire by learning ki/qi and he just so happens discovers that it makes him stronger to become a warrior/mage. Really? Increasing you abilities/skills makes you stronger? What a shocking discovery!

And what he was the first person in history to try being a dual warrior/mage?

Even if its fiction at least make it a bit believable

I guessing shit happened after the Apologizing Tournament that was ridiculous as well. Am I right?
  • so this is tang jian shan noob debut novel?
  • Honestly stopped reading this after the tournament to decide who will apologize to who.
    It was just getting too stupid even for a Xianxia story.

So he decides to add Warrior/Martial Arts to his repertoire by learning ki/qi and he just so happens discovers that it makes him stronger to become a warrior/mage. Really? Increasing you abilities/skills makes you stronger? What a shocking discovery!

And what he was the first person in history to try being a dual warrior/mage?

Even if its fiction at least make it a bit believable

I guessing shit happened after the Apologizing Tournament that was ridiculous as well. Am I right?

Yea, it's bad, the writing isn't bad. The story is well explained and the words give off a good visual image but what happens feels 2D and sloppy. Its been all said in other comments. If you want a run down on the stupid and annoying things the MC does then you should read the comments on the bottom of each chapter

MrVold's comments are enjoyable to read (much more than the story) and they highlight some of the flaws in the story
  • Wow, I never realized that Child of Light had this many people who weren't fans of it. I personally love this story. I think it is exceptionally amusing. Though the main character does some stupid shit, I don't think it makes him unpalatable. I think it gives him character. I think that the reason TJSS is my favorite author for Xianxia is because he does probably the best job of creating growing and likeable characters out of any author of Xianxia I have seen. 

This is just my personal opinion though. I like this story, and I think that though it has some flaws, it is still endearing in it's own way. It is a story for the growth of TJSS as well as Zhang Gong.
  • edited November 2015
    I guess you can count SYWZ MC as corrected version of CoL MC :D
    And ... I've seen worse, look at LLS MC
    But seriously, yeah, the story is great but MC doesn't quite suit it
  • SYWZ MC is a asshole too though.
  • I'm not comparing SYWZ MC and/or/with CoL MC with other MC'S like LLS MC in terms of whether or not they are rude or nice or good or simply a jackass.

I'm just saying the author couldnt make up his mind on what kind of MC the CoL MC is.

He kept on changing how the MC behaved. Whether he is lazy or hardworking, good or evil(not really. more like generous or scheming but you get the point), smart or stupid, etc.

Just pick the characteristics and stick to it. I mean personalities can change (PMG MC was nice but got his ass handed to him for it so after he reincarnated he kills anyone who opposes him) but not every couple of chapters or every few minutes within the story time.

Pick the character traits and stick to it and then change it if there is a actual reason to do so

• i actually think this LN got a nice character development... the MC at first he is really lazy but that is understandable coz he is just a brat but as he grow older he is not that lazy anymore but he is not that hardworking also... in my opinion he just got lucky to find a suitable cultivating method and a good teacher that made him get stronger fast but i don't think he is that hard working... and with the girl at first he give prank latter to her coz she humiliate him but as time goes he really develop feeling for her and now he really want to get together with her...  

so i don't think the author goes back and forward with the characterization but he develop the character make them grow... from lazy to powerful... from hate to love... that is what i called character development...  
  • Yes, I am being critical, but I am still reading it.

(Funny edit mr. Mod) ( ̄^ ̄)ゞ

• I'm not comparing SYWZ MC and/or/with CoL MC with other MC'S like LLS MC in terms of whether or not they are rude or nice or good or simply a jackass.

I'm just saying the author couldnt make up his mind on what kind of MC the CoL MC is.

He kept on changing how the MC behaved. Whether he is lazy or hardworking, good or evil(not really. more like generous or scheming but you get the point), smart or stupid, etc.

Just pick the characteristics and stick to it. I mean personalities can change (PMG MC was nice but got his ass handed to him for it so after he reincarnated he kills anyone who opposes him) but not every couple of chapters or every few minutes within the story time.

Pick the character traits and stick to it and then change it if there is a actual reason to do so

It's pretty clear to me...?
    He was lazy as a child, but his teacher forced him to work hard.
    But after some event (iirc, when Xiao Jin died), he gained the resolve to be stronger.
    Ever since then, he hasn't been lazy. Even now that his magic power is capped (not really, but he doesn't know how to take it to the next level yet), he is training his battle qi instead.

Is he good or evil?
    He's been taught virtues, and he tries to be a good person. However, being immature as he is, he sometimes does things that are not very 'good'.
    You say you're not comparing him to other MCs, but most other wuxia MCs are even more variable than Zhan Gong, so I can't help but think you're comparing him to TJSS's other MCs who tend to be near perfectly virtuous.

There's no reason for him to not change his personality/traits. He's growing up, after all. As the chapters go by, one would expect him to become more and more mature.
    Tang San, PMG's MC, Yun Che, ... there have been quite a few 'reincarnated' MCs. Since they were adults from the beginning of the story, then of course the changes would be less prominent.
  • edited November 2015
    don't care, cause the story is fun.

You want consistency? Go read Desolate Era, MC's family/loved ones get killed one by one consisently, family, friends wife, kids all die. IET emo phase.
  • His kid doesnt die :d
  • Balur said:

His kid doesnt die :d

Nor do most friends!

DE is...very far from Emo (unless it really changes after vol 25 or so).